Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pep Hamilton - "Blame Me"

SilentHill

This game means a lot, The Titans are obviously no NE Patriots or Steelers but that don't matter at all right now, Why? Because while the Titans are NOT a pushover they do give the Colts the chance to get back on track and get some confidence and execution going. This game means plenty. Is beating the Titans like the Patriots or Steelers? Of course not BUT that's not what the team needs right now. They need to execute and gain confidence

Also while like I said..While the Titans are not the Steelers or Patriots they are still very capable of beating us. They do have a mobile QB who has been very efficient the last 2 weeks...Not to mention they have Jurrell Casey

They will be a challenge

Playing the Titans and then Jags hopefully will get us back on track and healthier. If we get our flow back this week that could mean a lot in the weeks to come.

Running Slants and Screens against the Blitz is a really good start.

And yes Pep we do blame you.  

Throwing where they are not is smart. We ran a slant into a zone blitz and after the lineman pass interfered our WR he tipped the ball and a DB picked it off... Look at the play and if we had a route into the flat, the gain was 20-25 yards easy.

Screens aren't as safe as many people like to think... Fast defenses react to footwork by your line and backs to sniff these out and your QB can get confused by a host of bodies and screens/slants can become pick 6 machines. 

he is grigs project coach, he can develop in 5 or 6 years

Yep. 

Grigson could increase his credibility by firing Pep NOW...and cutting his other 'projects' like 'The Dongo Experiment'.

As for Pep admitting incompetence, it still does not give him a reason to be kept as OC...just please LEAVE!

With all the negativity going around about pagano getting fired it wont shock me to see Pep be relieved of his play calling duties. I'm sure they would choose Chud. I still think they see Pep as capable or otherwise they would have put Chud in his spot earlier. All in all if Chuck goes out he goes out with his guy Chud swinging.

No one needs to go right now because we are in the midst of playing the season. All this talk of fire so & so is doing nothing but causing distractions for the team. Distractions that they don't need.

Our coaches including Pep need to have the chance to figure it out and get this mess cleaned up. If they fail to do it this season then it will be house cleaning time during the off season. Griggs shouldn't be immune to that either.

Right now we are 0-2. Not cool but we were in this position just last season and got back on track to another 11-5 season and a deep playoff run. Let's just hold tight and see what our coaching staff does going forward. It's not a lost season yet by any stretch.

Pep couldn't figure it out with a map. Chud is right there it would be a simple fix. Pep has been riding Lucks coat tail for long enough. Give the kid someone who knows what he's doing.

The season isn't lost by any means we will still be a player in the AFC doesn't change the fact that Pep can't put together a game plan to save his life

Pep couldn't figure it out with a map. Chud is right there it would be a simple fix. Pep has been riding Lucks coat tail for long enough. Give the kid someone who knows what he's doing.

The season isn't lost by any means we will still be a player in the AFC doesn't change the fact that Pep can't put together a game plan to save his life

At this point all we know is that Chud isn't Pep. No one knows if he is any better. It may be worth finding out though if Pep can't get this offense straightened out over the next two weeks. We had a top ranked offense last year under Pep and he adjusted from run heavy to a more pass focused attack when he realized his initial approach wasn't working. He has admitted his fault, at least give the man a couple weeks to see if he can adjust again. We added some new pieces so it is not inconceivable that it would require a little bit of time for the unit to gell. Although I certainly understand that no one really expected us to look quite this bad coming out of the gate. Particularly Luck's play. I think many foresaw the offensive line struggles though.

My comment about sabotaging the season pertained more to sweeping changes across our entire coaching staff not Pep in particular. I've seen some sentiment that we need to fire almost everyone at one point or another. Changes on that level should come after the season. For now ride the course and see if self corrections can be made. Tweaking the OC won't likely sabotage the season but I think Pep should get a couple of weeks first at least to see if he can adjust accordingly.

Pep should just give the keys to Andrew and call it a day.

We would just keep forcing passes down field and turning the ball over at an ungodly rate if we did that. The myth that Luck is Peyton-lite must cease. He is not the cerebral QB that Manning was and is. He is more akin to Farve at this point. He is a young QB and still learning. He hasn't even figured out how to beat blitzes consistently yet. Lol. Luck is not quite ready or capable of doing what you are asking of him at this point. He is not a lost cause by any stretch though. Just has a lot to learn regarding ball security and needs better discernment of when and when not to try to make something happen. He has to understand that sometimes it is ok to eat the football.

We would just keep forcing passes down field and turning the ball over at an ungodly rate if we did that. The myth that Luck is Peyton-lite must cease. He is not the cerebral QB that Manning was and is. He is more akin to Farve at this point. He is a young QB and still learning. He hasn't even figured out how to beat blitzes consistently yet. Lol. Luck is not quite ready or capable of doing what you are suggesting at this point. He is not a lost cause by any stretch though. Just has a lot to learn regarding ball security and needs better discernment of when and when not to try to make something happen.

Perhaps but Pep's play calling isn't good either. Andrew is very smart, having said that he has had trouble with ball control which concerns me. I agree he has played more like Favre than Peyton so far in his career but our Line stinks. Favre had Great Offensive lines early in his career and great Coaching with Holmgren.

Perhaps but Pep's play calling isn't good either. Andrew is very smart, having said that he has had trouble with ball control which concerns me. I agree he has played more like Favre than Peyton so far in his career but our Line stinks. Favre had Great Offensive lines early in his career and great Coaching with Holmgren.

I agree that our line has stunk and that Pep's play calling thus far has as well. They share the blame with Luck for our poor offensive performance thus far. I just assert that since we were a top notch offense last year under Pep during a season where he self corrected after a poor start that he deserves a couple of weeks at least to see if he can get the offense back on track. If he can't then perhaps giving Chud a shot at things is worth exploring.

Finally Luck is too good to continue playing this way. I expect him and our offense to get things going sooner than later.

I agree that our line has stunk and that Pep's play calling thus far has as well. They share the blame with Luck for our poor offensive performance thus far. I just assert that since we were a top notch offense last year under Pep during a season where he self corrected after a poor start that he deserves a couple of weeks at least to see if he can get the offense back on track. If he can't then perhaps giving Chud a shot at things is worth exploring.

Finally Luck is too good to continue playing this way. I expect him and our offense to get things going sooner than later.

Yeah I think we will win Sunday. If we don't the stuff will hit the fan in here after the game. It will be interesting come Sunday to see how the Colts respond to their bad play so far and how the media is just ripping Andrew. If we are legit this season then we will come out and win this game. People were writing the Packers and Patriots off last season and both responded and started playing great. When we were 0-2 last season people were doubting us as well.

This game means a lot, The Titans are obviously no NE Patriots or Steelers but that don't matter at all right now, Why? Because while the Titans are NOT a pushover they do give the Colts the chance to get back on track and get some confidence and execution going. This game means plenty. Is beating the Titans like the Patriots or Steelers? Of course not BUT that's not what the team needs right now. They need to execute and gain confidence

Also while like I said..While the Titans are not the Steelers or Patriots they are still very capable of beating us. They do have a mobile QB who has been very efficient the last 2 weeks...Not to mention they have Jurrell Casey

They will be a challenge

I agree 100 percent with Gav. It's about execution and getting back into the habit of playing some winning football. Titans won't be easy for us...particularly with our injuries in the secondary. Huge game.

I agree 100 percent with Gav. It's about execution and getting back into the habit of playing some winning football. Titans won't be easy for us...particularly with our injuries in the secondary. Huge game.

Yeah I agree with him too. It's about getting in a groove and getting back to playing Colts Football. Division wins are always huge too. Just got to get on a roll and in sync with our game plan.

Yeah I think we will win Sunday. If we don't the stuff will hit the fan in here after the game. It will be interesting come Sunday to see how the Colts respond to their bad play so far and how the media is just ripping Andrew. If we are legit this season then we will come out and win this game. People were writing the Packers and Patriots off last season and both responded and started playing great. When we were 0-2 last season people were doubting us as well.

If they don't then it will officially be time to press that panic button. I expect us to find a way to get off the snide this week. The look in their eyes after Monday night was one of disappointment and realization that what they have done to date is not enough to win games in this league. I believe the Colts come out determined and focused tomorrow.

If they don't then it will officially be time to press that panic button. I expect us to find a way to get off the snide this week. The look in their eyes after Monday night was one of disappointment and realization that what they have done to date is not enough to win games in this league. I believe the Colts come out determined and focused tomorrow.

Yep. I am not panicking yet but if we lose this one, then that isn't good!

At this point all we know is that Chud isn't Pep. No one knows if he is any better. It may be worth finding out though if Pep can't get this offense straightened out over the next two weeks. We had a top ranked offense last year under Pep and he adjusted from run heavy to a more pass focused attack when he realized his initial approach wasn't working. He has admitted his fault, at least give the man a couple weeks to see if he can adjust again. We added some new pieces so it is not inconceivable that it would require a little bit of time for the unit to gell. Although I certainly understand that no one really expected us to look quite this bad coming out of the gate. Particularly Luck's play. I think many foresaw the offensive line struggles though.

My comment about sabotaging the season pertained more to sweeping changes across our entire coaching staff not Pep in particular. I've seen some sentiment that we need to fire almost everyone at one point or another. Changes on that level should come after the season. For now ride the course and see if self corrections can be made. Tweaking the OC won't likely sabotage the season but I think Pep should get a couple of weeks first at least to see if he can adjust accordingly.

good thought out post

I just wonder how much leeway Luck has to change plays at the line when he feels something better should be ran by what formation the Defense has. You would think by season 4 and with what he has proved he should have full leeway by now. It doesn't seem he does it much. Peyton changed plays constantly at the line and had the OK do so throughout most of his career when he didn't see something he liked. I think Luck should have the same go ahead considering it's his Offense and he has went 11-5 3 straight seasons.

I believe Andrew Luck has complete leeway to do what he wants.    And I think he's had it since no later than season 2.

Look....   I'm the guy who called for Pep to be fired immediately.    And I stand by that......

That said......    this is also the Pep Hamilton who guided the Colts to top 3 in both points and yards last year.

And he did that without much of a running game, or good offensive line,  or decent weapons due to injury.

Let's not get carried away by what Pep can or can't do.    He can do more than he's showing now.    We know it,  because he's done it.     But for whatever reason,  Pep is seriously struggling now and I personally doubt he can lead the team to where everyone wants to go.

Look....   I'm the guy who called for Pep to be fired immediately.    And I stand by that......

That said......    this is also the Pep Hamilton who guided the Colts to top 3 in both points and yards last year.

And he did that without much of a running game, or good offensive line,  or decent weapons due to injury.

Let's not get carried away by what Pep can or can't do.    He can do more than he's showing now.    We know it,  because he's done it.     But for whatever reason,  Pep is seriously struggling now and I personally doubt he can lead the team to where everyone wants to go.

I think the difference in past years was a healthy Reggie Wayne....a viable and reliable WR.  The offense has been the same since Arians got here...deep dropbacks and longish passes, but it hasn't worked since last midseason when Wayne hurt his elbow.

Pep has not adjusted his play calling much despite the dropoff in talent/chemistry.  it also appears the running game is better than past years with Gore...similar to Bradshaw....so we shall see in the coming weeks if Pep adjusts the O to minimize its weaknesses and call a game that better suits the talent and chemistry we have..

AND Chuck as your hc for ALLOWING you to do so!!! I can't imagine ANY of the greats STANDING by watching this BAD playcalling unfold on BOTH sides of the ball! On defense there's NO pressure on opposing qbs!!! (do like the rooks against the run though) It's like the blind leading the blind... :facepalm:

Eh. The Pass Rush problem is a complete talent issue. At a certain point, you just have to concede that your dudes aren't going to get there. The defense has a whole has done it's job honestly. It's entirely the offense that hasn't held up its end of the bargain.

Through 2 games last year Fleener,, Allen, Doyle had been targeted a combined 17 times

Through 2 games this year that same trio has been targeted 7 times

Neglecting our TE's who are automatic mismatches for most Linebackers in the league for the sake of trying to get Johnson involved to. Throw him the ball to move the chains at times and in the red zone some but Luck and Pep can get predictable at times force feeding players (In the past it has been Wayne, Now Johnson). 

WE ARE RUNNING PASS PLAYS FOR PLAYERS... NOT TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF MISMATCHES AND SCHEMES

Through 2 games last year Fleener,, Allen, Doyle had been targeted a combined 17 times

Through 2 games this year that same trio has been targeted 7 times

Neglecting our TE's who are automatic mismatches for most Linebackers in the league for the sake of trying to get Johnson involved to. Throw him the ball to move the chains at times and in the red zone some but Luck and Pep can get predictable at times force feeding players (In the past it has been Wayne, Now Johnson). 

WE ARE RUNNING PASS PLAYS FOR PLAYERS... NOT TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF MISMATCHES AND SCHEMES

Gavin.....    I agree.    That's why I've called for Pep to be FIRED!!

I'm just saying he's not as bad as some here would have one believe.