Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If Irsay Wants Fisher, He Needs To Pull The Trigger

KyFan18

I hope Irsay doesn't drag his feet on the Caldwell decision. Fisher is a hot commodity, and if Irsay wants him in horseshoe blue, he needs to go ahead and can Caldwell and get the call into Fisher before he is snatched up by Tampa Bay, Miami, or St. Louis. I think Fisher would take the job here if he can get assurances from Irsay that Manning will be back if healthy. I mean, isn't it a foregone conclusion that Caldwell is gone? If not, why not? If so, why delay the inevitable?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Caldwell will be history. Fisher, I'm not sold on. In his presser Irsay said his calls for GMs could start this evening but could be delayed if wanting to speak to playoff/and or SB involved folks. Who knows where that really stands. Irsay already did the heavy lifting. If he ends up doing this bit of work too, then so be it. Makes sense he'd have to mop this up as well. With Polian, it was much more a volume of work spanning more than a decade and the cumulative effect was obvious. Irsay said Caldwell was still being evaluated but I believe it's more of a timing issue for the franchise than anything else. I could be wrong, but time will tell.

I hope Irsay doesn't drag his feet on the Caldwell decision. Fisher is a hot commodity, and if Irsay wants him in horseshoe blue, he needs to go ahead and can Caldwell and get the call into Fisher before he is snatched up by Tampa Bay, Miami, or St. Louis. I think Fisher would take the job here if he can get assurances from Irsay that Manning will be back if healthy. I mean, isn't it a foregone conclusion that Caldwell is gone? If not, why not? If so, why delay the inevitable?

I like Fisher, but wonder if Irsay has someone else in mind.

I tend to look at it from the other side - if Fisher wants to coach one of greatest QBs of all time, have another potential gem on the bench to tutor, and work for one of the most generous and nicest owners in the league - then he'll wait for Irsay before making his decision.

That is the one disadvantage to taking weeks to finding a new GM. The likely highly rated coaches will be gone. Unless, of course, the coach the Irsay wants is on one of the playoff teams. Then I guess it doesn't matter.

As much as I hate the guy, I wish the Colts could somehow come up with a Bill Belichick type coach, minus the cheating. I love his system. They can put anyone on that team and they do pretty well. The system is bigger than what players are playing. Just like the 80s 49ers. I think we need that type of coach and system. Jim Caldwell is a joke of a head coach.

Fisher may not be this phenominal coach who has multiple Super Bowls under his belt, but he's better than Caldwell. If I'm Irsay, I'm getting rid of Caldwell ASAP, regardless if there's a GM in place, and hiring Fisher. There's a report I read on CBSSports that says Jeff Fisher is interested in coming to Indy. There it is right there. The guy was with Tennessee for the longest time and obviously knows the division and in many opinions I think is a very good coach. I don't know why Caldwell isn't gone already. Raheem Morris was fired with a 4-11 record. Jack Del Rio was canned earlier in the year. We're not firing this guy who was the coach of a 2-14 team? Get him out, get Fisher in the horseshoe blue with a headset.

How is Caldwell still under evalaution? What is that anyway? Some kind of lame excuse to have him back?

I think it's language to buy time on decisions that may have already been made. Two upper management and HC gone in one day would at the very least give the impression of knee-jerk. There's the personnel side of things, which was obviously faulted, then the game and player management (decision) side. Polian's fingerprints are all over this. Still.....it's no excuse for Caldwell's decision making under pressure, which has left much to be desired. As for potential big name candidates, I'd prefer Bilick. He replaced Marchibroda in Balt., won a SB, was 5-3 in the postseason, has extensive offensive background, and had great defensive teams in Balt.

The Rams fired both coach and GM today, so it could have been done at Indy too.

True, but the Colts do things differently and today was big fish for the organization. We'll see how the rest of this is handled. Infrequently traveled ground for Jim Irsay. He's only had a couple GMs and HCs since he took over the team. He's writing Colt history as we speak and defining how this team will operate for the next decade.

I'd be OK with Fisher, but would rather see Russ Grimm or Mike Mularkey. I would also be interested in Leslie Frazier if he gets the axe. Greg Williams would be my dark horse candidate. Jeff Fisher does seem like the most natural fit if we retain our veterans. I am not crazy about Jeff Fisher in a complete rebuild situation.

http://www.pewterrep...7669:&Itemid=15

I know that's a Tampa Bay report, but it still lists a bunch of possible candidates for a HC job. I like Mularkey. Being the OC in Atlanta, he knows how to run a balanced offense (something we haven't had in a while). He could also have a little more say over that clown Christensen. Mike Sherman is also a good candidate. I even like Herm Edwards. It would be a nice change from Mr. no emotions, Jim Caldwell and Herm has tons of experience. Even Dom Capers, Gregg Williams, Cam Cameron and Kevin Gilbride are on that list, but they would be longshots. And to be honest I have no clue how they would be as a HC anyway. And obviously Fisher

If Fischer wants Manning for a QB w/ Luck he will wait. There's plenty of time.

Yep. I may be a homer, but this has to be the best open job on the market. HoF QB, possibly great #1 pick, great owner. Lots of young talent (unfortunately most are on IR).

This has to be THE job in the NFL. I just hope we get another defensive minded coach.

The Rams fired both coach and GM today, so it could have been done at Indy too.

We dont do things like other teams. We could copy the Raiders too, but I'm glad we dont. It could have been done, but I'm very thankful it wasn't. When Jim says I have not talked to anyone yet or contacted any franchises, I believe him. Give the guy a chance to make a decision that will affect the franchise for the next decade. Fans should be happy, not impatient....just my 2 cents. It will get better soon. However, dont expect an automatic return to the playoffs, not matter what choices are made.

I fully believe we'll have a new GM in the next two days, and a new HC by the end of the week. Theres still going to be great candidates out there, as many teams are still in the playoffs where the Colts normally ago. While Im not completely sold on Fisher, he'd still be a great hire. So would Parcells, etc. But, hiring a GM first is priority. With a new GM there, the colts can have continuity longer, as the new HC will be the GM's "man."

I remember the year Manning threw 49 TD's and Fisher brought in his Titans who were expected to get ripped. The Titans went for onside kicks, trick plays and basically did anything and everything to try and beat the red hot Colts. Fisher is a guy who is willing to take risks to win and not hold back and I think that is something the Colts have lacked during Manning's career.

I fully believe we'll have a new GM in the next two days, and a new HC by the end of the week. Theres still going to be great candidates out there, as many teams are still in the playoffs where the Colts normally ago. While Im not completely sold on Fisher, he'd still be a great hire. So would Parcells, etc. But, hiring a GM first is priority. With a new GM there, the colts can have continuity longer, as the new HC will be the GM's "man."

Could be beginning of Feb if he's considering anyone connected with postseason teams to fill any openings.

Next two days? That really isn't even enough time for due diligence. Choosing someone to run your franchise is a pretty big decision. I would have to imagine that we won't see anything until at least the end of next week.

Why, oh why do so many people think Jeff Fisher is a good coach? He's a 50 percenter! His record is 142/120! And Gruden? Irsay? You hire Jon Gruden..... I'm DONE as a Colts fan! Grudens record is 95/81. ANOTHER 50 percenter. ONLY reason Gruden has a ring is because he rode Tony Dungy's team into California. As soon as Jon started making changes, the team tanked.

Irsay needs to go to coach Dungy's house and throw obscene amounts of cash at Tony. Get that man BACK! Dungy's record? 139/69. He was 85/27 in Indy..... the man won 75% of his games in Indy! THAT is a coach.

Jim? Go get Tony back. Thats what I want.... I want to read that you were arrested throwing stacks and stacks of money at the coach. Go make this right.

The Colts probably won't be able to talk to some of the playoff team guys until the playoffs are over. The teams in the playoffs would probably have to give special permission to Irsay before he could talk to any of their people. Irsay is leaving Caldwell in place because he made a commitment to him a couple of years ago and wants to honor that commitment by at least allowing Caldwell to interview for the job with the new GM. Caldwell also said he was not leaning toward a big name guy at HC, but would probably be open to it if new GM insisted. Personally, I think he needs to go with somebody from the Saints, Packers, or Pats for GM. They are the most successful franchises.

If Fischer wants Manning for a QB w/ Luck he will wait. There's plenty of time.

So he tells all these other teams that are ready to hire him NOW that he is going to wait and see what happens with Indy? Those teams all go in another direction, and it turns out Indy isn't interested? Waiting is not worth the risk for him.

I know this isn't the popular thing to say right now and by no means do I think Caldwell's job is safe but I don't think Irsay really has a problem with Caldwell. I think it's safe to say based on today's events he blamed this season more on a lack of talent than he did on the coaching. He didn't aknowledge Caldwell's faults in his presser but spent a lot of time praising Caldwell. I also think the fact that unlike Polian Caldwell is a nice guy helped save Caldwell's job for now. It sorta sounds like the Polians just finally wore out their welcome at the Colts complex. Caldwell on the other hand seems liked by the staff and the players and the fact his players didn't quit on him I think shows Irsay a lot. It means that whatever Caldwell is selling the players are still buying and there aren't too many 2-14 team's coaches you can say that about.

With that said I think Jim Irsay has also decicded that whoever the new GM is is going to have a say in who the head coach is next season. So there is still a very good chance that Caldwell will end up fired once the new GM is named. It's kinda harsh that the Colts are going to let Caldwell twist in the wind but if your Caldwell it's better than being fired.

My thoughts on keeping Caldwell in place.....no way he sticks around. BUT...the Rooney Rule requires you to talk with minority coaches."........so maybe that helps to cover the necessary bases?.??

Not really because they have to interview a coach if they fire Caldwell. They would have to interview another african-american if they fire Caldwell.

My thoughts on keeping Caldwell in place.....no way he sticks around. BUT...the Rooney Rule requires you to talk with minority coaches."........so maybe that helps to cover the necessary bases?.??

They would not keep him around for that, but it would be low rent. The spirit of the rule would be to look for a qualified minority to interview, or at least take a flyer on a high ability minority canditate who has less credentials. Giving a high ability candidate an interview can advance their career.

Fisher may not be this phenominal coach who has multiple Super Bowls under his belt, but he's better than Caldwell. If I'm Irsay, I'm getting rid of Caldwell ASAP, regardless if there's a GM in place, and hiring Fisher. There's a report I read on CBSSports that says Jeff Fisher is interested in coming to Indy. There it is right there. The guy was with Tennessee for the longest time and obviously knows the division and in many opinions I think is a very good coach. I don't know why Caldwell isn't gone already. Raheem Morris was fired with a 4-11 record. Jack Del Rio was canned earlier in the year. We're not firing this guy who was the coach of a 2-14 team? Get him out, get Fisher in the horseshoe blue with a headset.

Why don't we get the best guy available? Just being better than Caldwell shouldn't be the benchmark. That's a pretty sorry reason for hiring a head coach, especially if that's your strongest argument.

I think most Colts fans agree that Caldwell should be gone. Maybe some could stand to see him stay, but particularly after the Polians were fired, it would seem that there's no reason to hang on to what they've been building here recently. It's time to move in a different direction, and Jim Irsay made that painfully clear today.

Still, that doesn't mean just run out and hire the first guy that comes to mind. Some people really like Jeff Fisher. I'm not one of them. I've explained why ad nauseum. I think we could do a lot better. But if we interview a bunch of candidates (Irsay said today he interviewed 12 candidates in '95; we didn't interview anyone but Dungy in '02; didn't interview anyone in '09, as Caldwell had already been appointed), and Irsay and his new GM decide on Jeff Fisher, I'll support that decision.

I would much rather prefer someone else. I think there are plenty of better options out there. If we're going to go with a retread, I'd prefer Brian Billick. Now that Polian is gone, perhaps Bill Cowher would be interested, even though he's stated he's not ready to return to coaching. Those are much better options than Fisher, to me. And there's always the "new blood" route, which a lot of media people have suggested Irsay is interested in at both coach and GM. There's Joe Philbin from Green Bay, Mike Mularkey from Atlanta, and so on. There are a couple of college coaches I'd take a look at, like Chris Peterson from Boise State. And so on.

I'm not advocating for anyone in particular. These are just ideas. The point is that there are numerous candidates available, and I hope we do what we can to interview as many as possible. Then, we settle on the best guy. Ideally, we'd tab our GM first, and then make sure he has input on Irsay's final decision. Maybe we don't have time to do that. Hopefully Irsay is interested in a guy like Reggie McKenzie from Green Bay to be the new GM, and that's why he's waiting to pull the trigger on anything.

At the end of the day, I'm sure Irsay is on top of things. Never been more sure of that than I am today. He'll make sure we get good people to run the team moving forward. If he feels the best option is Jeff Fisher, I'll support that. But he certainly wouldn't be my choice, just based on his past record and experiences.

Forget fisher, he's a "players coach" but the guys record isnt all that... they have been manhandled by the colts too many times, the colts dont need a big name to take over at HC they just need a good coach with a good track record.

Not really because they have to interview a coach if they fire Caldwell. They would have to interview another african-american if they fire Caldwell.

Good point....I was just trying to make sense of not cleaning the entire house today. Can't see any way that doesn't happen....and why wait?