Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Clearly A 1-Gap D Now

ztboiler

Ummm I can remember a number of times seeing him take on doubt teams initially, get turnt to the side and collapsed after that. Or he'd just get straight mauled by two guys. And it's not just about drawing the team either... you have to control that double team and both gaps. That's what he did not do very well.

And yet, as I said, he still did it better than anyone else currently on the roster. So again, that's why I do not believe they will be using a 0 gap NT anymore. Parry is absolutely not, at this point, a better 0 gap NT than Chapman.

The 3-4 kind of sank or swam with quality NT play. We didn't really get a whole lot of that, and the other positions along the DL weren't the best at occupying blockers. In theory the one gap 4-3 should work out a bit better with the type of personnel we have.  Especially now that we've gotten our pass rushers back and the fact that most of todays offenses are going to force you into a 4 man front anyway.

Putting a little thought into it I wouldn't be surprised if our 4-3 front is a similar style to what the Raiders had under Dennis Allen. Sio Moore was with them then.  I believe they had him playing SLB because I know they had NIck Roach in the Middle.  I remember they were pretty blitz heavy when they played us in 2013.  Of course we have better personnel

The 3-4 kind of sank or swam with quality NT play. We didn't really get a whole lot of that, and the other positions along the DL weren't the best at occupying blockers. In theory the one gap 4-3 should work out a bit better with the type of personnel we have.  Especially now that we've gotten our pass rushers back and the fact that most of todays offenses are going to force you into a 4 man front anyway.

Quite honestly I thought the best NT we had was the original NT we had and that's Antonio Johnson and maybe Tevasue, The others (Chapman, Aubrayo, McKinney) were either past there prime or just did not have the stamina and technique to hold up long enough or the explosiveness of the ball to jar the Center into the backfield well

Quite honestly I thought the best NT we had was the original NT we had and that's Antonio Johnson and maybe Tevasue, The others (Chapman, Aubrayo, McKinney) were either past there prime or just did not have the stamina and technique to hold up long enough or the explosiveness of the ball to jar the Center into the backfield well

I also did not think Mookie was nearly as bad as many tried to claim.  As for Tevaseu though, I'd have him at the bottom of the list.  

I also did not think Mookie was nearly as bad as many tried to claim.  As for Tevaseu though, I'd have him at the bottom of the list.  

Mookie wasn't bad, He was solid I thought, Far from Vince Wilfork and certainly Dontari Poe but solid, McKinney was the worst I thought

Mookie wasn't bad, He was solid I thought, Far from Vince Wilfork but solid, McKinney was the worst I thought

well, I said that about Tevaseu because I really can't even put McKinney on the list.  He just wasn't healthy enought o really show what he could do.  I don't remember the 5 plays he was involved in. lol   

Chapman did better against double teams than anyone else on the roster. He did not get washed out "more often than not". Quite the opposite actually. I do agree he had not been much more than average as a 0 tech NT, but he was still better at it than anyone still on the roster, which is why I don't believe they will be using a 0 tech NT much, if at all, anymore.

Isn't that a bit of a contradiction? Saying he was the only guy who could play the zero tech, and then saying he was the best 0 tech on the roster?

If he was the only person that could play that position that makes him the best by default. And like I said the point is moot. If they change the scheme it would be because the old one wasn't working. The old one not working means the players in it weren't meeting expectations. If Chap and Hughes had met expectations they wouldn't have had to change the scheme.

What happened to "the Colts run D isn't that bad, they were the 11th ranked run D in the league"? It was only NE who really ever ran all over us.

Like I said, I'm not disagreeing that a scheme change contributed but I'm not sure why no one wants to admit that poor play was also to blame. All the proof is there. It's not being a bad fan to say a player didn't meet the staff's expectations. That's the NFL.

Cutting a player means you have no use for that player anywhere. You always find a role for talented players somewhere though. I can see your point with Chapman maybe but Hughes should be able to play in any front.

If Indy goes this way, they need to use their LB's accordingly. Blitzing isn't just for pressing the QB in a 1-gap.  It's used to fire in on a RB also.  I seriously expect the younger 'hitters' in the LBing core to have a huge impact.

When a D-lineman gets penetration-even loosing his footing doing so/aka Anderson- this turns a o-lineman around effectively blinding him to the blitzing LB'er.

You'll see more 'blown up plays' by this type of defense.  But a offense expecting it can light you up if there is any missteps in the secondary.

wade Phillips had problems with the 1 gap when he didn't have good coverage lbs, tight ends killed him over the middle, he says with Denver that wont happen as they have good coverage lbs. I hope the colts do too. but who knows what scheme on defense we will use, whatever it is should be an improvement

wade Phillips had problems with the 1 gap when he didn't have good coverage lbs, tight ends killed him over the middle, he says with Denver that wont happen as they have good coverage lbs. I hope the colts do too. but who knows what scheme on defense we will use, whatever it is should be an improvement

never seen him get gassed over the middle his corners damn sure sucked though lol we would just obliterate his corners with Ty when he was with the Texans

hmm. I do think Free can be a playmaker. He has flashes , but he needs to be more consistent.

Freemen can be freeman average starter he does a solid job but he can't cover as well as some think and he gets dragged by Rbs and blocked easily our starting ilb lack play recognition they're good for blitzing only especially Jackson

Freemen can be freeman average starter he does a solid job but he can't cover as well as some think and he gets dragged by Rbs and blocked easily our starting ilb lack play recognition they're good for blitzing only especially Jackson

He's a solid starter. I just remember the good games he's played. Against the Niners he chased down Kap on that option play a couple times. I do agree that he gets smothered to many times.

As you are suggesting, I don't think that getting rid of Chapman and Hughes validates the frequent notion of so many around here that they are poor players.  I think it was simply a clear statement from Grigson that, for what they want to do moving forward, Chapman and Hughes don't provide production that they can't go and get on the open market at a moments notice, and that he'd rather be invested in depth players that might provide a lot more upside in a 1-gap scheme.  

I will be surprised if Chapmen, specifically, isn't active and playing significant snaps for someone in short order.  I'm kind of surprised that the Steelers didn't claim him.  He is a much better player than he is getting credit for around here. 

So Maybe Chuck told Grigson if your job AND mine are on the line Ace, and my ___ may get fired if my side of the ball isn`t better this season, then i want a different type of player than YOUR Chapman and Hughes!!!

We play a lot of 4-2 and those guys don`t fit it.

never seen him get gassed over the middle his corners damn sure sucked though lol we would just obliterate his corners with Ty when he was with the Texans

I agree with this totally. Wade Philips, because he brought 5 rushers more often than not, left his CBs on an island with only single safety help. When his secondaries were terrible (Cowboys, Texans tenures), Brady and other QBs ate him up. He did clog the middle well enough like you exactly said to account for the quick outlets. So, if the QB's protection picks up the blitzes, it was all up to the secondary.

But when he had Cromartie and Jammer in their prime (with Drayton Florence in his prime at nickel), and LBs Merriman and Philips in their prime and interior with Jamaal Williams, Brady struggled vs Wade Philips (17-41 loss in 2005 to Brees and a mistake laden Chargers playoff win for the Pats 24-21 in 2007). 

I agree with this totally. Wade Philips, because he brought 5 rushers more often than not, left his CBs on an island with only single safety help. When his secondaries were terrible (Cowboys, Texans tenures), Brady and other QBs ate him up. He did clog the middle well enough like you exactly said to account for the quick outlets. So, if the QB's protection picks up the blitzes, it was all up to the secondary.

But when he had Cromartie and Jammer in their prime (with Drayton Florence in his prime at nickel), and LBs Merriman and Philips in their prime and interior with Jamaal Williams, Brady struggled vs Wade Philips (17-41 loss in 2005 to Brees and a mistake laden Chargers playoff win for the Pats 24-21 in 2007).

exactly we can use his way of attacking the passer as long as our rush actually gets there leave vontae one on one and roll coverage over the tightend and Wr2 only because I believe butler can handle his slot receiver now that he is healthy lol

I think the decision was easy to go with Parry and Anderson as starters when you have two guys from last year (chapman and Hughes) who played a lot, but get outplayed in the preseason by rookies directly after Grigson is very clear about people playing championship football.

Chapman played 35% of defensive snaps last year. Hughes played 23%. I think either of them could still be here as depth and for short yardage, but neither of them are a great loss. 

Since Anderson and Parry fit our nickel packages better, they'll probably play more snaps.

He's a solid starter. I just remember the good games he's played. Against the Niners he chased down Kap on that option play a couple times. I do agree that he gets smothered to many times.

So Maybe Chuck told Grigson if your job AND mine are on the line Ace, and my ___ may get fired if my side of the ball isn`t better this season, then i want a different type of player than YOUR Chapman and Hughes!!!

We play a lot of 4-2 and those guys don`t fit it.

The coaches challenge is to optimize the capability of the players he has, against the competition he faces. He may want to deploy a 4-2, 4-3, or 3-4 for structural reasons, but if the opponent or the capabilities of the players can't effectively "let that happen", he has to have alternatives to turn to (or get blown out).