Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2015 Cuts Echo The Words Of Grigson In 2014

Defjamz26

IDK how many people remember but I believe it was going into the 2014 draft where Grigson had a sit down interview and one of the most powerful things he said was that the Colts were no longer looking for guys who were solid or adequate, they were looking for guys to play at a championship level. These recent cuts are a reflection of that.

I for one am happy with the cuts. Now I know because of Jerry Hughes syndrome, a lot of people here always fear letting players that don't produce go, fearing that they'll be good for someone else, but everyone should be excited about the cuts.

As much as people liked to defend Chapman and give him every excuse, it's clear that he wasn't good enough. And the staff clearly didn't want a guy who was in that solid-adequate range, which Chapman probably wasn't even in that range to be honest. Now I'm not saying Parry is the next Wilfork but I think he showed more promise than Chapman, which is what made Chap expendable.

I know some people feel like we should have at least kept him as a backup but I see why that wasn't the case. The team clearly wants a top notch roster. So even if it could provide depth,they're not keeping anyone who is "decent" or provides depth.

That is the reason Hughes and Carter got let go. They weren't keeping Hughes just because Art Jones went down. He wasn't good and failed to ever really flash anything so they let him go. They kept Okine because he earned it over Hughes regardless of experience.

Not surprised with Carter because people were over hyping him as soon as we got him. It got worse when all the training camp reports came out about him killing it. We here stories of training camp heroes all the time but I think a lot of fans optimism blinded them to the idea that it could be the case with Carter. But he didn't produce on the field, and who was at QB is irrelevant. Plus had his last name not been Carter, no one would've cared as much.

I think this will be a great season for Colts fans and I think our management and coaching has taken a big leap forward. They're finally putting the best players on the team without worrying about need. We kept Varga because he played good despite having enough RBs. That's excellent team management if you ask me.

I always figure the cocahes or GMs have their reason to cut some one or let them go.  I don't always agree with it but that doesn't matter.

After watching this FO for 4 years now I think I am beginning to understand their philosophical approach to the roster.  In a lot of positions they seem to prefer flashes or consistency.  I will use Parry and Chapman to illustrate.  Parry would flash two or three great plays a game, where he would shoot the gap so quick, fight off the block and make the play or disrupt things in the backfield.  Chapman never flashed that level of great plays.  On the flip side Chapman was just about always where he was supposed to be, he held his ground against double teams, he worked down the line to fill the hole the RB was trying to get to, he left Jackson and Freeman and Herra pretty clean so they could be in a position to make the play.  Parry never showed that type of consistency, if he didn't beat his guy off the snap he was often beaten by a single blocker and completely engulfed by double teams.

So the coaches and FO feel they can coach him up and increases his flashes of greatness.  And maybe they can but after 4 years there is not a lot of evidence that the position coaches are good and making the players better or more productive except in the DBs.

Me, I prefer the "lunch pail" guys... guys who come in and do their job 100% all day every day, even if they are not flashy.  So the Colts seem to want a mix of those lunch pail guys and guys that flash.

Re: Carter. I couldn't watch the preseason games only highlights. Carter giving up on a play that he thought was going away from him when in fact Robinson was cutting it back toward him and had to elude the defender that Carter gave up on was enough for me. Robinson scored a TD but I immediately thought Reggie Wayne or heck even DHB would have that guy blocked by the sideline. If that was T rich and not Robinson the guy would have made the play while Carter stood there.

I don't think anybody ever stated that Chapman was great.  They said he was adequate when others said he stunk.  He was a 5th round pick who was always one dimensional, even in college.  Adequate players eventually get replaced by players who are more-than-adequate.  No surprise.  Other players at other positions needed to get upgraded first.   

And I don't think he is getting replaced by another one dimensional player, I think he's getting replaced by a more versatile player, and maybe even a slight scheme change rendering his one dimensional job unneeded. 

On a broader scale, this is just part of the rebuilding process where you fill a roster with adequate players after you go 2-14 and have salary cap problems.  To be busting grigs over his signings during the course of this process is short sighted.  He's not going to get everyone of them right (TRich, Landry, and maybe Werner) but others like Cherilous, Jones, and even Holmes, have injuries.  Almost everyone else that has been signed and released were not championship players at their positions.  Grigson knew that going in and the contracts reflected it.  And with all of the criticism Walden has gotten over the early part of his contract, he's probably outplayed it.

You can build a roster of only championship players when you have no depth. Your starting NT won't play all snaps where there is a NT on the field, you need depth. If you have a adequate backup then that's good enough, not great but listen if your looking for great right now, you're not gonna find it. Nobodies cutting championship talent. I think Grigs made a mistake cutting so much depth at key positions, weather they where under preforming or not, you still need players to come in and give at least adequate relief to you're starters while they're on the bench getting some rest.

I don't think anybody ever stated that Chapman was great. They said he was adequate when others said he stunk. He was a 5th round pick who was always one dimensional, even in college. Adequate players eventually get replaced by players who are more-than-adequate. No surprise. Other players at other positions needed to get upgraded first.

And I don't think he is getting replaced by another one dimensional player, I think he's getting replaced by a more versatile player, and maybe even a slight scheme change rendering his one dimensional job unneeded.

On a broader scale, this is just part of the rebuilding process where you fill a roster with adequate players after you go 2-14 and have salary cap problems. To be busting grigs over his signings during the course of this process is short sighted. He's not going to get everyone of them right (TRich, Landry, and maybe Werner) but others like Cherilous, Jones, and even Holmes, have injuries. Almost everyone else that has been signed and released were not championship players at their positions. Grigson knew that going in and the contracts reflected it. And with all of the criticism Walden has gotten over the early part of his contract, he's probably outplayed it.

A lot of people kept hyping up Chapman saying that he would've been a second round pick if not for his injuries. And that he needed more time because he only had 1 FULL year as a starter. Too much wishful thinking and sensationalism if you ask me.

Bottom line is that releasing him makes the team better. I don't fault Grigs at all. It's the fans who got too sold on a guy who wasn't going to be a stud, which is what the staff wants.

But I agree with you. Building a roster is a process. Adequate is fine after a 2-12 season and an 80% roster turnover. But now after 3 11-5 seasons and 3 playoff wins, we need better.

I think you get what a lot of the fans don't get which is that the team is growing. I think too many people want the Colts to "have it" already. They want every guy to be the answer and have something to contribute. That's why guys like Carter get too much hype. People are too antsy. True team building takes time. You have to trim the fat.

A lot of people kept hyping up Chapman saying that he would've been a second round pick if not for his injuries. And that he needed more time because he only had 1 FULL year as a starter. Too much wishful thinking and sensationalism if you ask me.

Bottom line is that releasing him makes the team better. I don't fault Grigs at all. It's the fans who got too sold on a guy who wasn't going to be a stud, which is what the staff wants.

But I agree with you. Building a roster is a process. Adequate is fine after a 2-12 season and an 80% roster turnover. But now after 3 11-5 seasons and 3 playoff wins, we need better.

I think you get what a lot of the fans don't get which is that the team is growing. I think too many people want the Colts to "have it" already. They want every guy to be the answer and have something to contribute. That's why guys like Carter get too much hype. People are too antsy. True team building takes time. You have to trim the fat.

I think people had various opinions about Chap.  IMO, if anybody ever expected him to be more than a space eater and more of a playmaker, I think they were expecting too much.  And as a space eater, he was adequate. 

The question when releasing players always is, who will replace them?  You don't just cut somebody because they are not performing at a championship level unless you can replace him with someone who does.   If grigs signs another space eater, then we know that Chap was released due to inadequate play.  But I think a lot of people believe a slightly different kind of DLman is going to fill out the roster. 

IDK how many people remember but I believe it was going into the 2014 draft where Grigson had a sit down interview and one of the most powerful things he said was that the Colts were no longer looking for guys who were solid or adequate, they were looking for guys to play at a championship level. These recent cuts are a reflection of that.

I for one am happy with the cuts. Now I know because of Jerry Hughes syndrome, a lot of people here always fear letting players that don't produce go, fearing that they'll be good for someone else, but everyone should be excited about the cuts.

As much as people liked to defend Chapman and give him every excuse, it's clear that he wasn't good enough. And the staff clearly didn't want a guy who was in that solid-adequate range, which Chapman probably wasn't even in that range to be honest. Now I'm not saying Parry is the next Wilfork but I think he showed more promise than Chapman, which is what made Chap expendable.

I know some people feel like we should have at least kept him as a backup but I see why that wasn't the case. The team clearly wants a top notch roster. So even if it could provide depth,they're not keeping anyone who is "decent" or provides depth.

That is the reason Hughes and Carter got let go. They weren't keeping Hughes just because Art Jones went down. He wasn't good and failed to ever really flash anything so they let him go. They kept Okine because he earned it over Hughes regardless of experience.

Not surprised with Carter because people were over hyping him as soon as we got him. It got worse when all the training camp reports came out about him killing it. We here stories of training camp heroes all the time but I think a lot of fans optimism blinded them to the idea that it could be the case with Carter. But he didn't produce on the field, and who was at QB is irrelevant. Plus had his last name not been Carter, no one would've cared as much.

I think this will be a great season for Colts fans and I think our management and coaching has taken a big leap forward. They're finally putting the best players on the team without worrying about need. We kept Varga because he played good despite having enough RBs. That's excellent team management if you ask me.

I don't feel like Chapman and especially Carter were that big of a loss but if we aren't keepiing any adequate players. I like the theory How do you explain the O Line?

It wouldn't surprise me if something happened with Carter to help make this decision easier. Although he clearly struggled to get seperation and offered nothing on ST's. I could see him finding his way to the PS. Like you said if his

name isn't Carter he's JAG. I'd prefer Bray.

You can build a roster of only championship players when you have no depth. Your starting NT won't play all snaps where there is a NT on the field, you need depth. If you have a adequate backup then that's good enough, not great but listen if your looking for great right now, you're not gonna find it. Nobodies cutting championship talent. I think Grigs made a mistake cutting so much depth at key positions, weather they where under preforming or not, you still need players to come in and give at least adequate relief to you're starters while they're on the bench getting some rest.

Funny, your signature line says otherwise. ;) But yes, I would agree. Chapman wasn't looking "championship caliber" but who are we going to add at this point who is championship-caliber? Is taking another team's cast-off really the way to go? At least Chapman knew the system.

I agree grigs did good on the cuts, he tried to fix his mistakes which is a good thing. now I hate the name I have for 30 days, cant fix my mistakes like grigs fixed some of his

Funny, your signature line says otherwise. ;) But yes, I would agree. Chapman wasn't looking "championship caliber" but who are we going to add at this point who is championship-caliber? Is taking another team's cast-off really the way to go? At least Chapman knew the system.

Just because I believe in Grigson in general doesn't mean I can't disagree with some moves, but hey he's being paid for doing them and I'm not so, there's that. ;)

I don't feel like Chapman and especially Carter were that big of a loss but if we aren't keepiing any adequate players. I like the theory How do you explain the O Line?

It wouldn't surprise me if something happened with Carter to help make this decision easier. Although he clearly struggled to get seperation and offered nothing on ST's. I could see him finding his way to the PS. Like you said if his

name isn't Carter he's JAG. I'd prefer Bray.

Most of the O-Line guys are proven. We know Castonzo is good. Mewhort is playing a new position but he's produced at LG. Herremans is a proven vet who is probably still getting comfortable with the offense. The biggest question mark is Lance Louis. Holmes is what he is, and there isn't a better center on the roster.

Not saying that I'm not somewhat concerned with the line, but I think the guys we kept are the best O-lineman from all the ones we had to work with. They all earned the job. Most of those guys were the same people who did a good job in the playoffs.

This would be a relevant conversation during the free agent period. Gore, Johnson may be championship players but this time of year you need your late round picks for depth.. Chap and Hughes were backups anyone we bring in will most likely be a back up unless there is a trade. Championship players aren't on waiver wire

And Griff Whalen. Let's not forget though that Grigson traded up to select Hughes. Another swing and miss that cost the team two draft picks.

With Werner you usually try and exhaust every option before you cut a 1st rounder. He'll play this season and then they'll cut him. Only time you cut a first round pick in 2 seasons is character issues like Blackmon or if they're Jimmy Clausen bad.

Whalen is a better receiver NOW than Duron is, but he also has special teams value which is what saved him. Colt Anderson isn't on the team because he's a championship level safety, he's here because of what he can do on special teams.

With Werner you usually try and exhaust every option before you cut a 1st rounder. He'll play this season and then they'll cut him. Only time you cut a first round pick in 2 seasons is character issues like Blackmon or if they're Jimmy Clausen bad.

Whalen is a better receiver NOW than Duron is, but he also has special teams value which is what saved him. Colt Anderson isn't on the team because he's a championship level safety, he's here because of what he can do on special teams.

Plus you can't cut Colt Anderson, based on his cool name, alone...

I'm pretty annoyed by these cuts, to be honest. I literally punched a hole through my wall when I saw Carter got cut and almost broke my hand. You can use Dorsett for special teams and just release Whalen, IMO, he has little to no use for us anymore. Sucks keeping Werner, but I understand it and love the Sio Moore trade, so it'll work itself out. Vick Ballard should be released soon, and if he isn't, it's a crime to whichever rb out of Herron, Robinson and Varga does get released. Ballard is all but done, he is loved here, but get rid of him and bring in a couple non injured backs. I also believe we should of kept either Chapman or Hughes. I don't mind getting rid of one, but we needed one of them for the familarity and the position. I hope we get someone good that was cut like Passat. These things won't kill our season, but we got rid of a lot of depth guys that could grow with us. The good thing is we kept all our draft picks, I can't wait to see them perform this year!

I'm pretty annoyed by these cuts, to be honest. I literally punched a hole through my wall when I saw Carter got cut and almost broke my hand. You can use Dorsett for special teams and just release Whalen, IMO, he has little to no use for us anymore. Sucks keeping Werner, but I understand it and love the Sio Moore trade, so it'll work itself out. Vick Ballard should be released soon, and if he isn't, it's a crime to whichever rb out of Herron, Robinson and Varga does get released. Ballard is all but done, he is loved here, but get rid of him and bring in a couple non injured backs. I also believe we should of kept either Chapman or Hughes. I don't mind getting rid of one, but we needed one of them for the familarity and the position. I hope we get someone good that was cut like Passat. These things won't kill our season, but we got rid of a lot of depth guys that could grow with us. The good thing is we kept all our draft picks, I can't wait to see them perform this year!

I understand your point of view but who did the Colts really cut? A bunch of players who either don't fit or are not talented enough. Grigson was clear on the type of players he want's but it just takes time to find and weed out those who fit and those who don't. You may have been real high on Carter but in reality IMO he wasn't cutting it in the NFL. There was a reason he couldn't handle a couple of colleges and went undrafted. Had his father not been who he was would you have been so high on him? His father has made a long list of excuses for him but he is yet to show he belongs on a NFL team. He made one good play in pre season and that was on a busted defensive play. He has shown no ability to learn routes and how to block after being coached up during camp and pre season. He may eventually learn these things but the depth of the receiving corps the Colts have made his release probable. Remember, the coaches seen him on a daily basses and that is what determined the outcome.

I understand your point of view but who did the Colts really cut? A bunch of players who either don't fit or are not talented enough. Grigson was clear on the type of players he want's but it just takes time to find and weed out those who fit and those who don't. You may have been real high on Carter but in reality IMO he wasn't cutting it in the NFL. There was a reason he couldn't handle a couple of colleges and went undrafted. Had his father not been who he was would you have been so high on him? His father has made a long list of excuses for him but he is yet to show he belongs on a NFL team. He made one good play in pre season and that was on a busted defensive play. He has shown no ability to learn routes and how to block after being coached up during camp and pre season. He may eventually learn these things but the depth of the receiving corps the Colts have made his release probable. Remember, the coaches seen him on a daily basses and that is what determined the outcome.

I was probably too high on him, but I just see nothing in whalen at this point. Carter was more of a mixture of high potential and a possible solid injury replacement. Even I wouldn't argue he's higher than the 5th receiver on this depth chart. My problem is when he performed with Luck in training camp, he dominated. I think he needs a good qb to be good himself, but if he did get playing time, he'd probably play with Luck anyway. I have a feeling now though we'll grab him on the practice squad, so he may get a 2nd chance. The other cuts are meh, but I just hate to cut two recent 5th round picks at the same position. That's putting a lot of faith in Parry, unless you get a solid Vet. I can't complain as I'm getting my wish for us using the rookies, I just wish we had more of a contingency plan in case Parry flops. Maybe we'll get one in the next few days. I'll try not too take it so serious I guess.

Again. Keeping players on the roster for any other reasons besides the fact that they are good players isn't how you build a top notch roster.

Saying we needed a guy with familiarity is a moot point when those 2 guys in particular were familiar with the system but still didn't make the type of impact expected of them.

Talent outweighs need.

Again. Keeping players on the roster for any other reasons besides the fact that they are good players isn't how you build a top notch roster.

Saying we needed a guy with familiarity is a moot point when those 2 guys in particular were familiar with the system but still didn't make the type of impact expected of them.

Talent outweighs need.

Completely agree, but you won't find anyone better out there as of now. TY McGill isn't better than Chapman or Hughes as of now, so you can't use that excuse for him. Also, we are short on D-Lineman so needing to keep the minimum amount of D-Lineman is more of a requirement. We need 7 D-Lineman most likely. There will probably be another pickup, so I will wait and see who gets picked up for us, but it may not be as talented a choice as Chapman or Hughes. 

I was probably too high on him, but I just see nothing in whalen at this point. Carter was more of a mixture of high potential and a possible solid injury replacement. Even I wouldn't argue he's higher than the 5th receiver on this depth chart. My problem is when he performed with Luck in training camp, he dominated. I think he needs a good qb to be good himself, but if he did get playing time, he'd probably play with Luck anyway. I have a feeling now though we'll grab him on the practice squad, so he may get a 2nd chance. The other cuts are meh, but I just hate to cut two recent 5th round picks at the same position. That's putting a lot of faith in Parry, unless you get a solid Vet. I can't complain as I'm getting my wish for us using the rookies, I just wish we had more of a contingency plan in case Parry flops. Maybe we'll get one in the next few days. I'll try not too take it so serious I guess.

As far as Whalen goes he had a better camp than Carter. I wasn't at every camp but I did go 4 times. In those 4 times Whalen dropped 1 pass that was catchable and it had a lot of heat on it. Camp is not the best way to measure any player. They are playing with team mates and friends. There is not much hitting happening and it is basically a walk threw. I have been an avid goer of the camps dating back to when they were at first at Anderson then Terre Haute and back to Anderson. I have witnessed a few very good camp players who were cut and never shown up on another team. As far as keeping players who are less than average it makes no sense to pay them when all they do is stand on the sidelines and called on in an emergency. I don't like cutting 5th round players either but when the team can pick up cheap players who are just as good that's what they have to do hoping to find a diamond so to say. Hopefully Grigson can find a couple of players who can fill the void and play decent. Good debate and comments.

As far as Whalen goes he had a better camp than Carter. I wasn't at every camp but I did go 4 times. In those 4 times Whalen dropped 1 pass that was catchable and it had a lot of heat on it. Camp is not the best way to measure any player. They are playing with team mates and friends. There is not much hitting happening and it is basically a walk threw. I have been an avid goer of the camps dating back to when they were at first at Anderson then Terre Haute and back to Anderson. I have witnessed a few very good camp players who were cut and never shown up on another team. As far as keeping players who are less than average it makes no sense to pay them when all they do is stand on the sidelines and called on in an emergency. I don't like cutting 5th round players either but when the team can pick up cheap players who are just as good that's what they have to do hoping to find a diamond so to say. Hopefully Grigson can find a couple of players who can fill the void and play decent. Good debate and comments.

Agreed. I appreciate that you went to camp and saw Carter firsthand. It means you know more and saw more than I did. We'll see how he does now that he is on the practice squad. I'm also going to do some research on T.Y. McGill and see what kind of DT he is. I didn't recognize the name, but it doesn't mean he's a pushover. All I know is this roster will have a new feel to it and it's not completed yet, so I'm going to be patient today and see what our practice squad brings and who we picked up. Good debate.

that's not really true. I think people would have been hyped about carter anyway especially after hearing he was tearing it up in camp. Rogers also got similar hype and his father wasn't famous. This year will be interesting. A lot of new faces on the defense.

that's not really true. I think people would have been hyped about carter anyway especially after hearing he was tearing it up in camp. Rogers also got similar hype and his father wasn't famous. This year will be interesting. A lot of new faces on the defense.

Difference is that Rodgers produced and Carter didn't. Plus there was reason to be optimistic about Rodgers. He was a monster at Tennessee before he got dismissed. If not for the huge red flags on his character, you're talking about a high 2nd round pick at the least.

But Rodgers was better then than Duran is now. So the point remains the same. People complaining that we kept Whalen should realize how much that speaks to how poor Duron played if he couldn't beat out Whalen.

Most of the O-Line guys are proven. We know Castonzo is good. Mewhort is playing a new position but he's produced at LG. Herremans is a proven vet who is probably still getting comfortable with the offense. The biggest question mark is Lance Louis. Holmes is what he is, and there isn't a better center on the roster.

Not saying that I'm not somewhat concerned with the line, but I think the guys we kept are the best O-lineman from all the ones we had to work with. They all earned the job. Most of those guys were the same people who did a good job in the playoffs.

Herremans has proven the last two years he is a player on the decline....and seems he is continuing the trend here in Indy.

I realized my mistake after the post I happen to think Louis is a lot better than he gets credit for