Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson Has Some Explaining To Do

dudley dawson

Maybe you better take a look at the contracts that Gore and Johnson signed before jumping to conclusions?

I saw the contracts. I am not jumping to any conclusions. I only mentioned that they should problably play a few downs before they are declared to be above average players for the Colts. I inow they have been great but their old teams were done with them and they saw them every day. I certainly hope they have productive years and stay healthy but the odds are against them.

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw the contracts. I am not jumping to any conclusions. I only mentioned that they should problably play a few downs before they are declared to be above average players for the Colts. I inow they have been great but their old teams were done with them and they saw them every day. I certainly hope they have productive years and stay healthy but the odds are against them.

That's a little bit of a spin on the actual scenario, but you know that...

How's it going Blue???

:rock:  :rock:  :rock:  :rock:  :rock:  :rock:  :rock:  

I think you have it turned around a bit. You say their old teams were done with them? I think they were done with their old teams.

How elite is the roster supposed to be after 3 years?  Some of you guys need to get a grip.

I don't think we'll have a decent answer to the question until maybe year 5.  I like where things

are headed though.  Next couple drafts will be mostly defensive line and offensive line, and

secondary so we'll see.

How elite is the roster supposed to be after 3 years?  Some of you guys need to get a grip.

I don't think we'll have a decent answer to the question until maybe year 5.  I like where things

are headed though.  Next couple drafts will be mostly defensive line and offensive line, and

secondary so we'll see.

You are correct in your assessment of 5 years. That is about the average for a team to rebuild into a championship team after a total rebuild. The only GM/coach who I can recall doing it faster was Jimmy Johnson. That happened after maybe the biggest trade in the history of the NFL. Grigson has already done wonders from the 2-14 team he took over. I don't think any one of us thought the Colts were going to be this good this fast. Some can point the fingers at a lot of reasons why but the fact remains the same. Some overlook how hard a GMs job is and are ready to chastise their moves that don't pan out.

You are correct in your assessment of 5 years. That is about the average for a team to rebuild into a championship team after a total rebuild. The only GM/coach who I can recall doing it faster was Jimmy Johnson. That happened after maybe the biggest trade in the history of the NFL. Grigson has already done wonders from the 2-14 team he took over. I don't think any one of us thought the Colts were going to be this good this fast. Some can point the fingers at a lot of reasons why but the fact remains the same. Some overlook how hard a GMs job is and are ready to chastise their moves that don't pan out.

I get really tired of the 2-14 argument. Yes, it happened. That might have been the best 2-14 team of all time one season removed from a playoff berth. That team was that bad because Manning went down and there was no legitimate backup QB. If Manning plays that year, it is a playoff team again. Now, with that said, the GM and the Coach did a great job with a whole group of new players and they have ever since. No one is going to agree with every move or draft pick any GM makes. If he is doing better than 50/50 on those moves, that is fabulous and you are on the road to great things.

I get really tired of the 2-14 argument. Yes, it happened. That might have been the best 2-14 team of all time one season removed from a playoff berth. That team was that bad because Manning went down and there was no legitimate backup QB. If Manning plays that year, it is a playoff team again. Now, with that said, the GM and the Coach did a great job with a whole group of new players and they have ever since. No one is going to agree with every move or draft pick any GM makes. If he is doing better than 50/50 on those moves, that is fabulous and you are on the road to great things.

A playoff berth does not automatically mean a team is great. Over paid players was a main problem. Polian's refusal to cut bait on his bad choices was another. If Manning would have played IMO the results would have been the same. A 1st or 2nd round playoff loss. There are too many reasons to list why.

A playoff berth does not automatically mean a team is great. Over paid players was a main problem. Polian's refusal to cut bait on his bad choices was another. If Manning would have played IMO the results would have been the same. A 1st or 2nd round playoff loss. There are too many reasons to list why.

I believe you are right but they would have made the playoffs with Manning as the QB.

54 linemen since 2012

26 starting line ups

71 hits on luck in 2014, an NFL HIGH

just saw that tweet on bleacher report^

Pathetic.

In all fairness, you can't blame the GM for injuries.  And it's hard to say whether it was Grigson or Pagano that decided to take out Shipley and put in Harrison, then put Shipley back, then put Holmes in, etc.

54 linemen since 2012

26 starting line ups

Pathetic.

Part of those hits is because Luck does not have a quick release. He has never had a quick release like Manning or Brady. That in itself is why Manning and Brady's hits have always been down. Timing patterns would also help.

I believe you are right but they would have made the playoffs with Manning as the QB.

I cant argue that for sure. Playoffs were so common with Manning that a lot of fans just took for granted the Colts were great teams. It was always just good enough to make the playoffs but not good enough to advance deep or win a super bowl. The one super bowl Manning did win was because the Colts played as a complete team. That was not something that happened that often in the playoffs. How many playoff games were lost because the defense couldn't hold or the special teams gave up huge returns. I was reading an article a while back that broke down the playoff losses and how many times Manning had a lead just to give the game up by other factors that didn't involve the offense. I cant recall the exact numbers but it was pretty revealing the lack of talent that was needed. I think Grigson is on the right track at the end of year three but only time will tell.

54 linemen since 2012

26 starting line ups

Pathetic.

What you're not understanding is that a fair amount of those hits are not the fault of the OL,  but rather they're Luck's responsibility.     Because he stays in the pocket looking for a receiver and looking to make play.    Most other QB's would simply throw the ball away much sooner and not take the hit.

I'm not happy with our OL either.....  but some even handedness when it comes to sorting things out would help a lot.....

It's kinda ironic you say this...

We get it already too.

he's repeating the cheer over and over me and the others are atleast talking about the actual problem

Btw I do believe I quoted Dustin I usually only quote people about this stuff who feel the same until someone quotes me and try's to tell me how wrong I am I don't try to change anyone's mind I actually just like talking to the others who feel grigson isn't all some crack him up to be

I'm not trying to hate on Grigson, but I was having a bad day at work and I saw that and it just made me mad lol. Yes superman you're right we could still have those horrible humans here, but we could also have a litttle better line play. I'll give them the regular season though to prove they've improved.

No disagreement there.

I'm just not that worried about OL changes. It happens, and it's usually due to injury, which isn't anyone's fault. It would be great if we could start the same five long term, and it would be awesome if those five played really well together. I'm curious how this shakes out in 2015.

No disagreement there.

I'm just not that worried about OL changes. It happens, and it's usually due to injury, which isn't anyone's fault. It would be great if we could start the same five long term, and it would be awesome if those five played really well together. I'm curious how this shakes out in 2015.

Me too! Gonna be interesting. Could be a really good line depending on how mewhort developes, and if Thomas can stay healthy. We'll see either way.

Me too! Gonna be interesting. Could be a really good line depending on how mewhort developes, and if Thomas can stay healthy. We'll see either way.

I'm not betting on Thomas. But I think Mewhort will be fine. He'll have his struggles, but he's young and at a new position. If we had La'el Collins at RT, he'd have his struggles, too. It's part of the process. 

I'm more concerned with Herremans, after the first two games. And depth at tackle.

I'm not betting on Thomas. But I think Mewhort will be fine. He'll have his struggles, but he's young and at a new position. If we had La'el Collins at RT, he'd have his struggles, too. It's part of the process.

I'm more concerned with Herremans, after the first two games. And depth at tackle.

I agree on Mewhort. And well I hope we're pleasantly surprised with Thomas. I give herremans an exception right now only because he's new to the line.

Tackle depth.. yeah not too much to say about that.. lol.

he's repeating the cheer over and over me and the others are atleast talking about the actual problem

Btw I do believe I quoted Dustin I usually only quote people about this stuff who feel the same until someone quotes me and try's to tell me how wrong I am I don't try to change anyone's mind I actually just like talking to the others who feel grigson isn't all some crack him up to be

Misery loves company.

and you can say that about just about any team in the league that's built around a franchise QB. Even the Seahawks take Russel Wilson away and you have the Houston Texans. A team that was 9-7 last year, just about average. Still how many games do the Packers win without Rodgers? What do the Broncos do without Peyton? Heck people think if you take away the defending Champs franchise QB for four games they will start 1-3. Truth is if you have a franchise QB you pay him so much you are expecting him to cover up other flaws on your roster and you aren't going to survive being without him for an extended period of time. It's why teams that don't have one try really hard to get one because they are a difference maker. I know the Pats over came it one year but that was an exception to what you see to most teams if they lose their franchise QB for a season.

No one is going to argue Luck isn't the Colts best player and that he's the biggest on the field reason for the Colts success since he got here. However, he is not the Colts only good player. They have other talented players and Grigson brought almost all of them here, that's why people give Grigson credit for the Colts success too. Again, just about everyone who is saying that also agrees he hasn't been perfect. He's made mistakes but it's not out of the norm for a GM to make mistakes. However, overall, he's done a good job and it's shown up with on the field results, especially in the playoffs where it counts the most, and is an area several people took issue with his predecessor.

Yes the oline needs to get better. I think Grigson knows this which is why he keeps trying to fix it. He has tried multiple ways to fix it. He's drafted linemen late in the draft as well as high in the draft. He's signed stop gap guys, he went out and got a high priced free agent in Gosder. Clearly not all if these moves have worked. I doubt it means Grigson is going to stop trying though. I will also say this, I do think the line is better today than it was when he took over even if it still has room for improvement.

Seahawks are much more talented than the Texans

Exactly how are the odds against them? Particularly Frank Gore the guy is going to see fewer 8 man boxes this year than he has in his career. Frank decided to leave the 49ers and was going to take his services to Philly before coming to Indy. If you don't think he has anything left. He took a 52 yard pass to the house last year and a 55 yard pass and he isn't known for his speed. You are misinformed on Gore a little closer to base with AJ as far as his departure but I think he will fill the possession role nicely.

The San Francisco 49ers are trying to hold on to long-time running back Frank Gore, who is getting offers to leave the only team he has ever known. http://fansided.com/2015/03/08/49ers-think-frank-gore-leaving-nfl-free-agency/

Your point has nothing to do with his . He was commenting on the thread.

He claimed the Seahawks would be the Texans without Wilson......I don't think that's true....because they are much more talented. How does that have not have anything to do with what he said?

Hell, he asked what would the Broncos do without Peyton. They won a playoff game with Tim Tebow the year prior to Manning's arrival.

Exactly how are the odds against them? Particularly Frank Gore the guy is going to see fewer 8 man boxes this year than he has in his career. Frank decided to leave the 49ers and was going to take his services to Philly before coming to Indy. If you don't think he has anything left. He took a 52 yard pass to the house last year and a 55 yard pass and he isn't known for his speed. You are misinformed on Gore a little closer to base with AJ as far as his departure but I think he will fill the possession role nicely.

The San Francisco 49ers are trying to hold on to long-time running back Frank Gore, who is getting offers to leave the only team he has ever known. http://fansided.com/2015/03/08/49ers-think-frank-gore-leaving-nfl-free-agency/

Father Time is undefeated. I think one or both of them may play well this season. I also would not be surprised to see them battle injuries and not be able to be on the field. Gore is going to try to gain yards behind a very mediocre offensive line. He will do better than what we have had but he won't be able to preform miracles either. I have no doubt that he will be another big asset for the passing game. I think the expectations are way to high for both of these players but I will be cheering them like hell if I am wrong.

Father Time is undefeated. I think one or both of them may play well this season. I also would not be surprised to see them battle injuries and not be able to be on the field. Gore is going to try to gain yards behind a very mediocre offensive line. He will do better than what we have had but he won't be able to preform miracles either. I have no doubt that he will be another big asset for the passing game. I think the expectations are way to high for both of these players but I will be cheering them like hell if I am wrong.

Gore will be running behind a better O Line then Boom averages 4.5 ypc behind and Bradshsw when healthy got 4.7.. The only player that did not produce behind our O line was Trent. Gore is no Trent and there are expectations. Again less 8 man fronts await him.

As far as Father Time you are correct but there's no evidence that he's knocked at Gore's yet.

We will see about AJ but his job isn't going to be beat double coverage and be our #1 WR. He's a mainly a chain mover possession guy in this Offens. He may not see the targets he's accustom too but then again he might. Really he's all over the record book without ever having a QB

I think the odds are in their favor

Based on what I've seen in preseason thus far, the WR corp is a complete mess.

Aaron Dobson (2013, 2nd round, #59): 40 receptions for 557 yards in 2013-2014. Always injured.

Josh Boyce (2013, 4th round, #102): 9 receptions for 121 yards in 2013. That’s all.

Jeremy Ebert (2012, 7th round, #235): out of the league after 2013 season… with Jaguars.

Taylor Price (2010, 3rd round, # 90): out of the league after 2011 season… once again, with Jaguars.

Brandon Tate (2009, 3rd round, #83): out of the Patriots after 2010 season, 55 receptions for 842 yards across 6 seasons.

Julian Edelman (2009, 7th round, #232): woo-hoo, someone can lasts on the Patriots roster for 6 years!

Matt Slater (2008, 5th round, 153): even 7 years… 1 catch in 7 seasons?! Is he a CB?

Chad Jackson (2006, 2nd round, #36): 14 receptions for 171 yards, out of the league after 2008 season.

P.K. Sam (2004, 5th round, #164): he doesn’t even have photo on NFL.com.

Bethel Johnson (2003, 2nd round, 45): Patriots, Saints, Vikings… 39 receptions for 606 yards in 5 seasons.

Pathetic! No excuses!

Belichick needs to be held accountable if the WRs still stink come week 1.  This is his 16th year. Enough is enough.

Based on what I've seen in preseason thus far, the WR corp is a complete mess.

Aaron Dobson (2013, 2nd round, #59): 40 receptions for 557 yards in 2013-2014. Always injured.

Josh Boyce (2013, 4th round, #102): 9 receptions for 121 yards in 2013. That’s all.

Jeremy Ebert (2012, 7th round, #235): out of the league after 2013 season… with Jaguars.

Taylor Price (2010, 3rd round, # 90): out of the league after 2011 season… once again, with Jaguars.

Brandon Tate (2009, 3rd round, #83): out of the Patriots after 2010 season, 55 receptions for 842 yards across 6 seasons.

Julian Edelman (2009, 7th round, #232): woo-hoo, someone can lasts on the Patriots roster for 6 years!

Matt Slater (2008, 5th round, 153): even 7 years… 1 catch in 7 seasons?! Is he a CB?

Chad Jackson (2006, 2nd round, #36): 14 receptions for 171 yards, out of the league after 2008 season.

P.K. Sam (2004, 5th round, #164): he doesn’t even have photo on NFL.com.

Bethel Johnson (2003, 2nd round, 45): Patriots, Saints, Vikings… 39 receptions for 606 yards in 5 seasons.

Pathetic! No excuses!

Belichick needs to be held accountable if the WRs still stink come week 1.  This is his 16th year. Enough is enough.

Yeah, lack of receiver talent has really held the patriots back.

Exactly, and the same guys who are now saying Grigson sucks because he didnt draft/sign Collins would instead be complaining about his talent evaluation because of Collin's struggles.