RG3 says hes the best QB in the league

RockThatBlue

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah.. I mean who cared then and who cares now. What I did say back then was we took the best QB as that read option crap would never hold up in the NFL. It masked all the short comings Griffin had if he was forced to play QB from the pocket. Most of us really never had big issue with RG3 getting that award.

I took issue with people coming here and saying that he's a better QB because he won ROY instead of Luck. But not because I took it personally, just because it was wrong.

The problem with Griffin now is the same as it was back then , plus an added item or two. Because some of us are football fans and bring what's below up , does not make us haters . Heck .. it doesn't even make us unfair evaluators.

1) Can't read an NFL defense.

Agreed with everything, including this. Just want to point out that he's never really been asked to read defenses, as a passer. They've always had him sheltered from the advanced responsibilities of QBing. That's not a criticism; it's actually good coaching. What the Niners tried to do with Kap last year is silly. Bring a guy like that along gradually, continue to let him use his athleticism as a weapon, and let him take on more responsibility as time goes on. Don't throw him to the wolves and then act shocked when he gets torn to shreds.

That said, he still needs to be smarter about avoiding contact. He just can't handle it. 

I took issue with people coming here and saying that he's a better QB because he won ROY instead of Luck. But not because I took it personally, just because it was wrong.

Agreed with everything, including this. Just want to point out that he's never really been asked to read defenses, as a passer. They've always had him sheltered from the advanced responsibilities of QBing. That's not a criticism; it's actually good coaching. What the Niners tried to do with Kap last year is silly. Bring a guy like that along gradually, continue to let him use his athleticism as a weapon, and let him take on more responsibility as time goes on. Don't throw him to the wolves and then act shocked when he gets torn to shreds.

That said, he still needs to be smarter about avoiding contact. He just can't handle it. 

Good point .

Re-read what he said but with an open mind. A non-biased person interprets it differently. I read it as him saying that he has to think he is the best in order to be the best. He added that he believes that if any player does not see himslef as the best, then that player is not a competitor. That adds some context to his statements.

I got what he said. I think someone with more humility and self-awareness would have answered differently.

By the way, I'm not making a big deal over what he said. I don't really care. I'm just noting that a) he's wrong, and b) he could have expressed himself in a way that didn't generate even more ill-will. I think Aaron Rodgers, who has some arrogance about him, would have answered more appropriately, and he probably IS the best QB in the game right now. (Preview to the QB rankings right there...) How would Teddy B. have answered?

lol

If Griffin gets his act together and does his best and stops being such a *, I'll be happy for the long suffering Washington fans and all good with RGIII

I would be sick if I were a Washington fan looking back at that trade. What a back breaker...But couldn't be worse than being a Colt fan during those bad Robert Irsay years. 

I got what he said. I think someone with more humility and self-awareness would have answered differently.

By the way, I'm not making a big deal over what he said. I don't really care. I'm just noting that a) he's wrong, and b) he could have expressed himself in a way that didn't generate even more ill-will. I think Aaron Rodgers, who has some arrogance about him, would have answered more appropriately, and he probably IS the best QB in the game right now. (Preview to the QB rankings right there...) How would Teddy B. have answered?

Of coarse....and my exact same sentiments . Can you imagine Andrew Luck being interviewed tomorrow and saying that same thing ? You would be saying " I can't believe what I'm hearing ."

Of coarse....and my exact same sentiments . Can you imagine Andrew Luck being interviewed tomorrow and saying that same thing ? You would be saying " I can't believe what I'm hearing ."

And Luck has a better argument than Griffin by 1,000%. Still, he'd never say those words in that order.

I would be sick if I were a Washington fan looking back at that trade. What a back breaker...But couldn't be worse than being a Colt fan during those bad Robert Irsay years. 

They've waiting a long long time.  All they want to do is win and they were so excited about Griffin.  The whole organization has let the fans down there.

I think Baltimore disliked Robert Irsay for the move.  Indy fans had no issue with him to my knowledge.  Sure we had losing years.  But not so bad as Redskins I don't think.

They've waiting a long long time.  All they want to do is win and they were so excited about Griffin.  The whole organization has let the fans down there.

I think Baltimore disliked Robert Irsay for the move.  Indy fans had no issue with him to my knowledge.  Sure we had losing years.  But not so bad as Redskins I don't think.

I meant the years that we had horrible teams during Robert's tenure as owner. I didn't mean it to sound like was a "hating of R Irsay by Indy fans.

Looking back it was during the years from around 1984 to 1993. But to my surprise it was more "up and down " rather than just terrible as I thought when I wrote that.

And Luck has a better argument than Griffin by 1,000%. Still, he'd never say those words in that order.

Contrary to what many are claiming , most athletes don't talk like that. It's not the "norm."  My observation anyway...... 

Teddy is a humble guy. I cannot imagine him saying what RG3 said. He deflects positive attention away from himself and credits teammates for his successes. He blames himself for losses. He is the opposite of RG3. But many criticize him for being too humble and reserved.

Teddy is a humble guy. I cannot imagine him saying what RG3 said. He deflects positive attention away from himself and credits teammates for his successes. He blames himself for losses. He is the opposite of RG3. But many criticize him for being too humble and reserved.

Teddy is going to make that sophomore jump this year. Just goes to show you, do not fall in love with moving up or moving down a prospect purely based on his Pro Day. Of Bortles, Manziel and Bridgewater, I still feel this day that Manziel has just as good a ceiling as Bridgewater IF he keeps his head on straight. But right now, Bridgewater is ahead by virtue of starting with his head on straight :).

I still believe Bortles will disappoint eventually.

"Colt fans hate RG3." What a ridiculous , generalized piece of nonsense that is. What I was referring to was troll like people that post just to annoy. Anyone that would say Luck is like Dalton or Schaub is better than Luck is probably a troll as even the most ignorant football fan would not try to say that. Now if Quiz boy and some Pat fanes fit in there , what can I say ?

Ah so you're back to quoting me again. Feeling guilty because you know what I said is true? You want to blame everybody but yourself for your misgivings and stupid biases. It's like Dgambill said, a bad case of inferiority complex. You post just to annoy all the time so by your own definition you're a troll. I would say something else, but I like this forum and I'm not trying to get banned.

why you so cranky?

I don't hate RGIII. I was fine with him at first although weary of Skip Bayless and his endless RGIII is better than Andrew Luck......blah blah blah

I was fine with all his endorsement deals and didn't care much about him still

But then......the drama on that team, around him and now him not sounding like he's learned anything

I'm just not a fan of his now. So, it's a bit more negative than not caring about him but far less than hating him.

He doesn't seem like he cares about the team nearly as much as he cares about himself

Like he's got some growing up to do still, you know?

Meh, not really cranky. There's about three or four posters here that have to drag me into anything negative they perceive to be happening on the forum. I appreciate your feedback though. I know you don't hate him but I'm not the first opposing fan to notice that there seems to be a ton of hatred dislike, or whatever you want to call it directed towards RG. I remember many were * when he declined to workout for the Colts before the draft too. I agree with you in that he has some things to work on, and I get that. But before the perceived cockiness there was a lot of hate directed at him over silly non-issue things. Hopefully he can pull it all together and salvage his career this year, otherwise everything could all be flushed down the toilet.

Ah so you're back to quoting me again. Feeling guilty because you know what I said is true? You want to blame everybody but yourself for your misgivings and stupid biases. It's like Dgambill said, a bad case of inferiority complex. You post just to annoy all the time so by your own definition you're a troll. I would say something else, but I like this forum and I'm not trying to get banned.

LOL . Just typical baseless , ridiculous stuff from you. I hate RG3 ... I mean how utterly stupid and baseless. Son... I really can't think of anything you've said that was "true" or even close to being right or correct. 

LOL . Just typical baseless , ridiculous stuff from you. I hate RG3 ... I mean how utterly stupid and baseless. Son... I really can't think of anything you've said that was "true" or even close to being right or correct.

Thanks for contributing nothing worthwhile to the thread once again.

I'll try to say something super intelligent like "Colt fans hate RG3." Do you have any idea of how ridiculous you sound ?

Your ridiculous "blame Texans, Redskins, and Patriot fans for my unwarranted ridiculous defenses and insecurities about my quarterback" tirade is what's beyond ridiculous. Ridiculous ridiculous ridiculous.

See? I can use that word too.

Your ridiculous "blame Texans, Redskins, and Patriot fans for my unwarranted ridiculous defenses and insecurities about my quarterback" tirade is what's beyond ridiculous. Ridiculous ridiculous ridiculous.

See? I can use that word too.

More pure garbage as you say that it's "unwarranted" to argue that Andrew Luck is better than Matt Schaub and Andy Daulton. Do you just blabber or do you once in a while think before you spit trash like that out ? 

More pure garbage as you say that it's "unwarranted" to argue that Andrew Luck is better than Matt Schaub and Andy Daulton. Do you just blabber or do you once in a while think before you spit trash like that out ?

Yeah, try to twist it and make it about me while you're the one speaking out of a trash can. Everyone can read the thread, you aren't fooling anyone. But whatever floats your boat gramps. You might want to get to bed, it's way past six.

Yeah, try to twist it and make it about me while you're the one saying stupid @** *. Everyone can read the thread, you aren't fooling anyone. But whatever floats your boat gramps. You might want to get to bed, it's way past six.

Nobody needs to twist anything son . Yeah ... everyone just loved you blanket comments on how Colt fans are biased and" haters. " 

Nobody needs to twist anything son . Yeah ... everyone just loved you blanket comments on how Colt fans are biased and" haters. "

Obviously not everyone can be grouped into the haters group. The ones picking on the guy and cracking jokes about injuries are the ones who should be ashamed. God forbid #12 in Indiana gets blindsided by Haloti Ngata or something and goes down. I didn't make any blanket comments, I'm not trying to hide anything. Every fan base has bias, even my own. I call it like I see it.

I don't know if this was brought up before, and I'm not about to search through this minefield for it...but I had to laugh the other day when Skip Clueless was STILL trying to make a case that RG3 was a better QB than Luck. I mean, I get that he is paid for his outlandish views and hype to get viewers, but come on man, you're bordering on insane now. Even Screamin' A. Smith was shutting him down. I mean just purely delusional at this point. I don't hate RG3, but come on. It's done. Unless Luck just tanks the rest of his career....it's done.

I disagree. 

I'd like to think that way too but I see so many people get defensive if Peyton or Andrew don't get all the accolades people feel they deserve. I'm not trying to paint with a broad stroke. Seems instead of killing the messanger for making comments that RGIII was going to be better than Andrew or had a better year etc they want to kill the message by rooting and taking great satisfaction in Roberts downfall.

All in all I think Robert has done a great deal off the field with his work with kids etc so I think he seems to be a good young man. I do think he is very unpolished when it comes to speaking with the media. We have been very lucky here in Indy to have back to back qbs whos dads were professional qbs and have already trained their children in the art of the media. Robert is the kind of guy that needs positive reinforcement around him. To tell himself he can be great...he HAS been great and he just needs to get back to that. Unfortunately his OL and his injuries keep setting him back but if he was in a better situation to grow he has a lot of great tools and proven he can make the throws. I wish he was able to grow in a better situation but that isn't going to happen. He likely will never reach his true potential. I agree he is not very polished when it comes to speaking with the media but I have absolutely no problem with him trying to get his mind in the place where he believes he can go out there and excel on the football field. I have never gone into a game or even a meeting thinking anything but positive...that I'm going to win or I'm ready to get the job done...it would mean certain failure in my mind so I've got no problem with him being confident. It's the only way he can be successful.

I'd like to think that way too but I see so many people get defensive if Peyton or Andrew don't get all the accolades people feel they deserve. I'm not trying to paint with a broad stroke. Seems instead of killing the messanger for making comments that RGIII was going to be better than Andrew or had a better year etc they want to kill the message by rooting and taking great satisfaction in Roberts downfall.

All in all I think Robert has done a great deal off the field with his work with kids etc so I think he seems to be a good young man. I do think he is very unpolished when it comes to speaking with the media. We have been very lucky here in Indy to have back to back qbs whos dads were professional qbs and have already trained their children in the art of the media. Robert is the kind of guy that needs positive reinforcement around him. To tell himself he can be great...he HAS been great and he just needs to get back to that. Unfortunately his OL and his injuries keep setting him back but if he was in a better situation to grow he has a lot of great tools and proven he can make the throws. I wish he was able to grow in a better situation but that isn't going to happen. He likely will never reach his true potential. I agree he is not very polished when it comes to speaking with the media but I have absolutely no problem with him trying to get his mind in the place where he believes he can go out there and excel on the football field. I have never gone into a game or even a meeting thinking anything but positive...that I'm going to win or I'm ready to get the job done...it would mean certain failure in my mind so I've got no problem with him being confident. It's the only way he can be successful.

What would everyone think if you announced before your meeting that you feel you are the smartest person in the room ? Do you do that or is this something you keep to yourself ? RG3 is 4 years removed from college , been in the limelight for around that same time period ... 4 years. I would think he would have a little more tact at this period in his life. I also think it's fine for some people to say "no big deal " and I move on. I also feel it's OK to feel like myself and others and say "that's a ridiculous comment." Kinda like Ray Kroc saying his company puts out the finest quality food of any restaurant in the US.

What would everyone think if you announced before your meeting that you feel you are the smartest person in the room ? Do you do that or is this something you keep to yourself ? RG3 is 4 years removed from college , been in the limelight for around that same time period ... 4 years. I would think he would have a little more tact at this period in his life. I also think it's fine for some people to say "no big deal " and I move on. I also feel it's OK to feel like myself and others and say "that's a ridiculous comment." Kinda like Ray Kroc saying his company puts out the finest quality food of any restaurant in the US.

I agree he could use a lot of help speaking with the media. To me thats on the organization and his agent. If someone asks me that I would likely say I feel very confident in my intelligence and ability to do this job blah blah blah etc...sure I wouldn't come out and say it even though I may feel more than confident that I am...or that I know everything I need to know to get the job done. That said I'm about 10 yrs older then him with a degree in business and taken numerous classes on speaking and relations which perhaps Robert has had none I would venture to say. In the end I agree he says things if you take them at face value that sound crazy but if you try to put yourself in his shoes and understand what he is trying to say and get at..I think it would be different. He just doesn't know how to articulate his answers in such a way that he intends but the really I don't see anything wrong with what he is saying. An elite athelete having confidence in getting back to being one of the best in the league should feel the way he does..but of course has to take into account how his words will be received and he needs a lot of polish in that area...about as much as he needs in his game overall.

I agree he could use a lot of help speaking with the media. To me thats on the organization and his agent. 

He's responsible for the things he says, not someone else.

And again, this doesn't make him a bad person, but the idea that it's someone else's fault is entirely laughable.

Your first point is neither here nor there. Lots of people think little of Griffin because of the way he carries himself and because of the way he plays QB. This isn't exclusive to presumably jealous Colts fans who don't like the attention Griffin received a couple years ago.

That being the case, I don't understand why when someone says how they feel about Griffin, people feel the need to come back with 'you just dislike him because he won ROY instead of Luck.' It's completely irrelevant. People dislike his personality because he comes across as entitled and arrogant. People dislike his QBing because it's not good. 

Your first point is neither here nor there. Lots of people think little of Griffin because of the way he carries himself and because of the way he plays QB. This isn't exclusive to presumably jealous Colts fans who don't like the attention Griffin received a couple years ago.

That being the case, I don't understand why when someone says how they feel about Griffin, people feel the need to come back with 'you just dislike him because he won ROY instead of Luck.' It's completely irrelevant. People dislike his personality because he comes across as entitled and arrogant. People dislike his QBing because it's not good.

True. And its not just colts fans who think he's stinking it up, fans of all teams have been saying it.

I think that way because of the amount of posts against him from the very beginning...even before he had his issues. When he hadn't slipped up with the media yet and hadn't failed on the field. At this point I agree he should have his head wrapped around the process on and off the field. But the distaste on this board started way before the draft over things that were not under his control and mostly because of certain people in the media building him up. Then when he came out again and had a better year than Luck on the field the anger and resentment spread. This was not due to anything he had done himself but was from the fact the media was hyping him. I don't think I'm wrong in believing many many here disliked him before they ever knew a thing about the guy personally. Heck I remember when he came out with the Subway comercial before his rookie year and people were making a big deal about it and saying Luck doesn't do that he is all about football. Sorry I don't disagree much with you but I'm pretty convinced many people on this board had already made up their mind about the young man before they ever knew anything about him simply because of a few people like Skip etc and the fact that he got a lot of hype from his great rookie season.

I agree some of the issues he has had with the media and the locker room show me he has not developed as a leader that I would like for my qb but to me that shows a lack of poor organizational leadership and control more so than that a young qb is just a bad person. Mostly I just see a lot of people seem to love to tear down other organizations and players to make them feel better about the Colts or Colt players. They seem very quick to point out the negatives of other teams or guys on other teams instead of all the good they have done or those organizations have accomplished. Probably because the media loves to feed negativity and so people respond but it would be nice to see people be happy for another organization when they succeed even if we fail and also celebrate other players for their successes on the field. After all the sport we love will only continue to grow and be popular and successful if we see others succeed and grow too.  

As for his attitude etc...I understand it doesn't endear him to other fans but I still root for him to be successful because the league needs bright young stars and from everything I've read about the young man seems to show he has been a socially responsible and productive young man in his community and with giving back. I do wish he would get some help with addressing the media etc. He steps in a lot of dog poo often because I think he struggles with conveying his message but I still don't have a problem with what he is trying to say and hope perhaps he gets another shot outside the Redskin organization because I don't think they have a winning formula or organizational culture for him to succeed in. I know everyone is responsible for what they say and do but I don't think this is all on him. If you have a child or a new employee you work with them. You teach them how to carry themselves. Not all rookies come into the league with that back ground or that education. I think they do themselves and him a disservice in not working with him. You don't make someone the face of your franchise (company spokesperson let's say) and not make sure they have the experience or expertise or the tools to be successful and convey the message you want your organization to send. To put someone out there like that without those tools I still say does your team and him a disservice. Thats just my opinion....but I understand what your saying.

Then when he came out again and had a better year than Luck

Are you saying his second year was better than Lucks?

Not really close. He had a good exciting rookie season, but since then he has been bad. When you play that bad and say you are the best, you deserve the crap you get.

I agree he could use a lot of help speaking with the media. To me thats on the organization and his agent. If someone asks me that I would likely say I feel very confident in my intelligence and ability to do this job blah blah blah etc...sure I wouldn't come out and say it even though I may feel more than confident that I am...or that I know everything I need to know to get the job done. That said I'm about 10 yrs older then him with a degree in business and taken numerous classes on speaking and relations which perhaps Robert has had none I would venture to say. In the end I agree he says things if you take them at face value that sound crazy but if you try to put yourself in his shoes and understand what he is trying to say and get at..I think it would be different. He just doesn't know how to articulate his answers in such a way that he intends but the really I don't see anything wrong with what he is saying. An elite athelete having confidence in getting back to being one of the best in the league should feel the way he does..but of course has to take into account how his words will be received and he needs a lot of polish in that area...about as much as he needs in his game overall.

All those classes on speaking, and I rarely read your posts because they are one big wall of texts without proper paragraphs

Are you saying his second year was better than Lucks?

Not really close. He had a good exciting rookie season, but since then he has been bad. When you play that bad and say you are the best, you deserve the crap you get.

No his Heisman year was....and then his rookie....but no since the injuries and the change in systems etc...yeah he has been really bad.

I think that way because of the amount of posts against him from the very beginning...even before he had his issues. When he hadn't slipped up with the media yet and hadn't failed on the field. At this point I agree he should have his head wrapped around the process on and off the field. But the distaste on this board started way before the draft over things that were not under his control and mostly because of certain people in the media building him up. Then when he came out again and had a better year than Luck on the field the anger and resentment spread. This was not due to anything he had done himself but was from the fact the media was hyping him. I don't think I'm wrong in believing many many here disliked him before they ever knew a thing about the guy personally. Heck I remember when he came out with the Subway comercial before his rookie year and people were making a big deal about it and saying Luck doesn't do that he is all about football. Sorry I don't disagree much with you but I'm pretty convinced many people on this board had already made up their mind about the young man before they ever knew anything about him simply because of a few people like Skip etc and the fact that he got a lot of hype from his great rookie season.

I agree some of the issues he has had with the media and the locker room show me he has not developed as a leader that I would like for my qb but to me that shows a lack of poor organizational leadership and control more so than that a young qb is just a bad person. Mostly I just see a lot of people seem to love to tear down other organizations and players to make them feel better about the Colts or Colt players. They seem very quick to point out the negatives of other teams or guys on other teams instead of all the good they have done or those organizations have accomplished. Probably because the media loves to feed negativity and so people respond but it would be nice to see people be happy for another organization when they succeed even if we fail and also celebrate other players for their successes on the field. After all the sport we love will only continue to grow and be popular and successful if we see others succeed and grow too.

As for his attitude etc...I understand it doesn't endear him to other fans but I still root for him to be successful because the league needs bright young stars and from everything I've read about the young man seems to show he has been a socially responsible and productive young man in his community and with giving back. I do wish he would get some help with addressing the media etc. He steps in a lot of dog poo often because I think he struggles with conveying his message but I still don't have a problem with what he is trying to say and hope perhaps he gets another shot outside the Redskin organization because I don't think they have a winning formula or organizational culture for him to succeed in. I know everyone is responsible for what they say and do but I don't think this is all on him. If you have a child or a new employee you work with them. You teach them how to carry themselves. Not all rookies come into the league with that back ground or that education. I think they do themselves and him a disservice in not working with him. You don't make someone the face of your franchise (company spokesperson let's say) and not make sure they have the experience or expertise or the tools to be successful and convey the message you want your organization to send. To put someone out there like that without those tools I still say does your team and him a disservice. Thats just my opinion....but I understand what your saying.

I agree 100% with you. I know you don't like compliments but you are always a voice of reason and I enjoy reading your posts, even the ones supporting the Pats.

I think that way because of the amount of posts against him from the very beginning...even before he had his issues.

Some people disliked him from the beginning. I don't see why we're chalking that up to jealousy and bitterness from Colts fans, as again, it was not exclusive to Colts fans.

Some people just don't like him. I don't see why we have to label those people. And in the three years since he came in, he hasn't really done anything to make those people back off. As a matter of fact, he's kind of made it easier to dislike him, both on and off the field. This is just the latest example. We can name a dozen good and/or promising QBs who wouldn't have said what he said. All from different backgrounds, of different cultures, etc. 

This whole 'Colts fans just dislike him because they're bitter over him winning Heisman/ROY' thing is totally misplaced. Fans of all teams and lots of people in the media (and reportedly, some of his own teammates) dislike him, for a variety of reasons. And his play isn't making up for it, which is what makes a comment like this one all the more ironic.