RG3 says hes the best QB in the league

RockThatBlue

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I always thought Luck was clearly the best player, but Griffin had better numbers, and that's mostly what those awards are for.

I believe the title of this thread is very misleading given the full quote from Griffin. Wanted to mention in case you wanted to edit it as I know you dislike editorialized headlines. :)

I believe the title of this thread is very misleading given the full quote from Griffin. Wanted to mention in case you wanted to edit it as I know you dislike editorialized headlines. :)

From the article linked in the OP:

"I feel like I’m the best quarterback in the league"

From the article linked in the OP:

"I feel like I’m the best quarterback in the league"

Actually the title reads, "RG3 explains why he's 'the best quarterback in the league'."  Again the thread title was sensationalized IMO and you normally get me for that so I just wanted to point it out. No biggie either way.

Did you see Garcon drop that wide open pass in their first preseason game, in typical Garcon fashion?

Also, to those who say "that's what any competitor would/should say", ask yourself this.  Could you see Andrew Luck telling the media that he's the best quarterback in the game?  Can you see Peyton doing it?  You can be confident in your abilities and still remain humble.  Griffin has regressed throughout his NFL career while his attitude and arrogance have just gotten worse.

If it was a loaded question where he was asked if he felt he was as good as the elite QBs in the league, I would expect him to say yes, no doubt. That is how it was presented to Eli before the 2007 season when he and the Giants beat the 18-1 Patriots. This, however, was not the case.

RG3 felt like he needed to elaborate on a statement that didn't need elaborated or extrapolated, IMO. Once he said he didn't feel like he needed to show he was better than this guy or that guy, just leave it at that. His vanity consumes him and a lot of it is brought upon by him, unfortunately.

Actually the title reads, "RG3 explains why he's 'the best quarterback in the league'."  Again the thread title was sensationalized IMO and you normally get me for that so I just wanted to point it out. No biggie either way.

The quote in my post is from the article. He literally said that he feels he's the best QB in the league. 

I have to say that I in any context, almost no QB should ever utter those words.

I say almost because, at least to me, in terms of attitude, RG3 reminds me of someone.  Tom Brady.  Thing is, Tom Brady earned his stripes.  He can pretty much say whatever he wants and get away with it because he is Tom Friggin Brady.

On the other hand, you have a guy like Griffin.  And instead of being humble and showing the world that he has to go out and earn it, he simply keeps muttering things like this.  To say, "I feel like one day I can be the best in this league."  Is one thing.  But to say, at this current point, that you feel like the best QB on the league... it just screams diva and head case to me.  There is nothing in his career that even suggests that fact.  He has has a couple of great seasons, but he just simply presents the attitude of a man who has accomplished a LOT more.

For the Colts to have gone from Manning to Luck is just plain lucky.  Both guys are class acts, extremely humble, hard working, and extremely good at what they do.  Neither of them presents the attitude that they were the best ever.  Manning certainly could have if he wanted to, and Luck certainly has a lot more to prove.  But both of them are simply guys who couldn't care less about calling themselves the best ever.  They simply fight to do just that, and let other people make the comments.

I could see RG3 turn his career around, but that would probably just annoy me because then he'd go hot and heavy into this whole shtick of being the best QB in the NFL.  And until he wins 2-3 superbowls, he simply needs to shut up or simply utter that he is doing his best to put his team in a position to win every game and the typical coach speak that all the greats do every time they're sitting behind a microphone.

Actually the title reads, "RG3 explains why he's 'the best quarterback in the league'." Again the thread title was sensationalized IMO and you normally get me for that so I just wanted to point it out. No biggie either way.

He literally said what my thread title is.

He literally said what my thread title is.

He did ... but there was much more context around it. I was not picking on you but I have had my thread titles questioned and/or changed when I have done the same thing - lifted what someone said or the exact title. I thought with this article there was much more context to his quote which is why I mentioned it to superman. Like I said, no biggie. Just something I will file away for the future.

He did ... but there was much more context around it. I was not picking on you but I have had my thread titles questioned and/or changed when I have done the same thing - lifted what someone said or the exact title. I thought with this article there was much more context to his quote which is why I mentioned it to superman. Like I said, no biggie. Just something I will file away for the future.

He says that he's the best in the league. Just because he gives a lame explanation for why he views himself as that , doesn't make it any less outlandish.

RG3.... ""I feel like I’m the best quarterback in the league and I have to go out and show that. Any athlete at any level, if they concede to someone else, they’re not a top competitor, they’re not trying to be the best that they can be. There’s guys in this league that have done way more than me, but I still view myself as the best because that’s what I work toward every single day.”

The above really doesn't cut it. Because you work to be the best , does not (IMO) make you the best. He also goes on to infer that he's been "back stabbed." 

He says that he's the best in the league. Just because he gives a lame explanation for why he views himself as that , doesn't make it any less outlandish.

RG3.... ""I feel like I’m the best quarterback in the league and I have to go out and show that. Any athlete at any level, if they concede to someone else, they’re not a top competitor, they’re not trying to be the best that they can be. There’s guys in this league that have done way more than me, but I still view myself as the best because that’s what I work toward every single day.”

The above really doesn't cut it. Because you work to be the best , does not (IMO) make you the best. He also goes on to infer that he's been "back stabbed." 

Every player says that for the most part, especially QBs. And the Redskins might be the most dysfunctional organization besides the Jets.

Maybe so but most have the good sense not to shout it out, especially someone in RG3's position.

I'm pretty sure a lot of the people in this thread saying put up or shut up or don't say it in the first place loved it when that new Colts corner, idk his name, came out and said he's the best corner in the league or something like that. The word "swagger" came up a lot. I like people from my team believing they're the best too. I'm with you on not vocalizing it, I'm more of a show it kind of guy, but I can't fault Griffin for being confident in himself. I think he'll be able to turn things around.

I've rarely ever heard a very good qb say they are the best publicly.

I have and all of them have framed it the way RG did saying they believe they are the best in the league. Heck, Geno Smith just said before his jaw was broke that he has shown flashes of being a pro bowl QB which is even more outlandish IMO than what RG said given how Smith has performed during this career ...

Every player says that for the most part, especially QBs. And the Redskins might be the most dysfunctional organization besides the Jets.

There's no point arguing. There are a lot of Colts fans on this board that can't stand Robert Griffin no matter what he does lol.

I have and all of them have framed it the way RG did saying they believe they are the best in the league. Heck, Geno Smith just said before his jaw was broke that he has shown flashes of being a pro bowl QB which is even more outlandish IMO than what RG said given how Smith has performed during this career ...

Again, Geno isn't a very good qb. Good qbs let their play do the talking

There's no point arguing. There are a lot of Colts fans on this board that can't stand Robert Griffin no matter what he does lol.

Honestly, yeah I can't stand him.  I watched his tapes coming out of the draft,  thought he was a bust then.  I've said it all along.  Plus his attitude and demeanor make it even worse.  

Again, Geno isn't a very good qb. Good qbs let their play do the talking

That was not the point though. RG is one of many QBs that have touted their abilities and belief in themselves. Hardly anything new or surprising IMO. I would be more worried if he said he did not think he was good.

That was not the point though. RG is one of many QBs that have touted their abilities and belief in themselves. Hardly anything new or surprising IMO. I would be more worried if he said he did not think he was good.

I said I haven't heard very good qbs say it. You said that you have. Then talk about how geno said he could be a pro bowler

I said I haven't heard very good qbs say it. You said that you have. Then talk about how geno said he could be a pro bowler

Eli a few years ago before he won his first Super Bowl said he was in the same class as the elite QBs. And Aaron Rodgers has never been shy about touting his abilities either. And again, I am not sure why it matters what caliber of QB has said or any player for that matter. My point is that players at all positions say stuff like this all the time - ALL the time.

1) I don't agree with you and Quiz saying "every player says he's the best." So I guess it's good that you too keep giving each other the "likes."

2) You want the mods to alter the thread because it's taken out of context ? Which is it ? Does every player say this or does that ridiculous explanation of why "he's the best" make the thread misrepresentative as you seems to be saying before. What the PM said was RG3 claims he's the best QB in the league . You said it was taken out of context and now it's every player says that. I guess I don't get it.

I'm pretty sure a lot of the people in this thread saying put up or shut up or don't say it in the first place loved it when that new Colts corner, idk his name, came out and said he's the best corner in the league or something like that. The word "swagger" came up a lot. I like people from my team believing they're the best too. I'm with you on not vocalizing it, I'm more of a show it kind of guy, but I can't fault Griffin for being confident in himself. I think he'll be able to turn things around.

D'Joun Smith said he wants to be the best CB in the league. Its a little different than saying he is the best in the league. At least that's how I read his comments. Still cocky but its a bit different still.

Honestly, yeah I can't stand him. I watched his tapes coming out of the draft, thought he was a bust then. I've said it all along. Plus his attitude and demeanor make it even worse.

What's wrong with his attitude? I've never gotten any bad vibes from him. 98% of NFL players are very arrogant I would think.

What's wrong with his attitude? I've never gotten any bad vibes from him. 98% of NFL players are very arrogant I would think.

I just don't like how he throws the blame for his crappy performances on every but himself. Are all player arogant, yeah to an extent. But that kid has more excuses than a politician. You rarely if ever hear the elite QBS throwing their coaches or teammates under the bus.

D'Joun Smith said he wants to be the best CB in the league. Its a little different than saying he is the best in the league. At least that's how I read his comments. Still cocky but its a bit different still.

Meh, tomato tomata lol.

I just don't like how he throws the blame for his crappy performances on every but himself. Are all player arogant, yeah to an extent. But that kid has more excuses than a politician. You rarely if ever hear the elite QBS throwing their coaches or teammates under the bus.

Yeah, being accountable is something he can work on no doubt. I can see why he might rub some the wrong way.