RockThatBlue

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's not quite true, he said

"I feel like I’m the best quarterback in the league and I have to go out and show that. Any athlete at any level, if they concede to someone else, they’re not a top competitor, they’re not trying to be the best that they can be. There’s guys in this league that have done way more than me, but I still view myself as the best because that’s what I work toward every single day.”

Not owning his part in the whole 'football is a business' and he hadn't counted on the backstabbing though

"It's more about going out and affirming that for me, I go out and I play, I know I'm the best quarterback on this team. I feel like I'm the best quarterback in the league and I have to go out and show that."

"Any athlete at any level, if they concede to someone else, they're not a top competitor, they're not trying to be the best that they can be. There's guys in this league that have done way more than me. But, I still view myself as the best because that's what I work toward every single day."

"It's not the game you thought it was when you were a kid and you were dreaming of playing and being a professional athlete," Griffin said. "There's more business that goes into it, there's more ruthlessness, backstabbing than you would expect. But at the end of the day when you put your helmet on your shoulder pads and your pants, your cleats and you get to go out there and run around on the field, it's still that same game that you played as a kid."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000511113/article/rgiii-feels-he-can-be-best-quarterback-in-nfl

Just to give context to the quote. Nothing wrong with what he said I don't think

That's not quite true, he said

Not owning his part in the whole 'football is a business' and he hadn't counted on the backstabbing though

Yup I know what the whole quote said, but he still said he feels like he's the best in the league. Nothing is wrong with confidence, but he took it a little overboard. He doesn't look like the best qb on his own team sometimes.

I really hate statements like that. The psychology is whack, akin to saying "you can do anything if you try hard enough". 

Being the "best I can be", he should've stopped there. That's fine. But to insist that one must visualize themselves as the best in the league is how you set yourself up for bitter disappointment. 

" But, I still view myself as the best because that's what I work toward every single day"

Well...I view myself as capable of winged flight, because that's what I work toward every single day. 

He doesn't get it, and the statement above is affirmation of such. He doesn't need to be the best QB in the league to win a championship. He doesn't need to be the best QB in the league to succeed. He needs to be healthy, he needs to learn, and he needs to do his best. All Stop. Be HIS best. 

Yup I know what the whole quote said, but he still said he feels like he's the best in the league. Nothing is wrong with confidence, but he took it a little overboard. He doesn't look like the best qb on his own team sometimes.

agree, it's just to me the rest of the statement...in his head he's innocent of of the drama and I think the opposite is true.  

I really hate statements like that. The psychology is whack, akin to saying "you can do anything if you try hard enough". 

Being the "best I can be", he should've stopped there. That's fine. But to insist that one must visualize themselves as the best in the league is how you set yourself up for bitter disappointment. 

" But, I still view myself as the best because that's what I work toward every single day"

Well...I view myself as capable of winged flight, because that's what I work toward every single day. 

He doesn't get it, and the statement above is affirmation of such. He doesn't need to be the best QB in the league to win a championship. He doesn't need to be the best QB in the league to succeed. He needs to be healthy, he needs to learn, and he needs to do his best. All Stop. Be HIS best. 

And the news around him never indicated that he did the best he could.  I think he's just not learned anything other than to keep thinking he's right and he's the best

And the news around him never indicated that he did the best he could.  I think he's just not learned anything other than to keep thinking he's right and he's the best

I think the term is "entitled". Nothing more, nothing less. Personally, I despise comments like his and reckon them as disrespectful to Peyton, Rodgers, and Brees. 

If I'm not the best at something I don't go around and say I am. I don't think it should be any different for someone in the nfl. It makes you look like a tool.

I don't think it's taking it out of context to read his whole quote and think he comes off as arrogant. RG3 is a bum, and if he was only worrying about what he himself thinks, he wouldn't have said that

Maybe RG3 has been studying in the Garcon school of talking up oneself before consistently showing it on the field??? :dunno:

Did you see Garcon drop that wide open pass in their first preseason game, in typical Garcon fashion?

Also, to those who say "that's what any competitor would/should say", ask yourself this.  Could you see Andrew Luck telling the media that he's the best quarterback in the game?  Can you see Peyton doing it?  You can be confident in your abilities and still remain humble.  Griffin has regressed throughout his NFL career while his attitude and arrogance have just gotten worse.

"It's more about going out and affirming that for me, I go out and I play, I know I'm the best quarterback on this team. I feel like I'm the best quarterback in the league and I have to go out and show that."

"Any athlete at any level, if they concede to someone else, they're not a top competitor, they're not trying to be the best that they can be. There's guys in this league that have done way more than me. But, I still view myself as the best because that's what I work toward every single day."

"It's not the game you thought it was when you were a kid and you were dreaming of playing and being a professional athlete," Griffin said. "There's more business that goes into it, there's more ruthlessness, backstabbing than you would expect. But at the end of the day when you put your helmet on your shoulder pads and your pants, your cleats and you get to go out there and run around on the field, it's still that same game that you played as a kid."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000511113/article/rgiii-feels-he-can-be-best-quarterback-in-nfl

Just to give context to the quote. Nothing wrong with what he said I don't think

Context....whats that lol! I agree when you actually listen to what he is saying and what he is TRYING to say it shows the guy isn't just full of himself. He knows he can be the best and he has to have that confidence and positive mindset to go out there and perform at that kind of level. All the great ones think that way...you can't play the qb position at an elite level without feeling that way and while he clearly isn't there he knows that is one part of attaining that level....the other is to put in the work in the film room and on the field.

Did you see Garcon drop that wide open pass in their first preseason game, in typical Garcon fashion?

Also, to those who say "that's what any competitor would/should say", ask yourself this. Could you see Andrew Luck telling the media that he's the best quarterback in the game? Can you see Peyton doing it? You can be confident in your abilities and still remain humble. Griffin has regressed throughout his NFL career while his attitude and arrogance have just gotten worse.

Luck and Peyton would never say it. Even if they thought it I don't imagine they'd ever openly say it.

No problem to me with what he said. The guy has confidence in himself. I think his opinion of himself couldn't be any more wrong, but if all my opinions about myself were emblazoned across the national media, I'm sure some would disagree with me too.

I see it the same way. What's the big deal! It does not bother me.

I love how he tried to put his point of view in context. He needs to just shut up and go do it. Stop talking about it! I don't care if he was asked this question directly. You never would hear other QBs answer this question the way RG3 did. I'm not upset, but if I was a teammate, I would be rolling my eyes. 

Andrew would smile and give the aww shucks and talk about how it's up to the writers to determine who is the best and all of that.. "All I want to do is try and get better every day"

But RG3 is an immature punk.. Needs to grow up and more importantly, get better as a QB. 

Context....whats that lol! I agree when you actually listen to what he is saying and what he is TRYING to say it shows the guy isn't just full of himself. He knows he can be the best and he has to have that confidence and positive mindset to go out there and perform at that kind of level. All the great ones think that way...you can't play the qb position at an elite level without feeling that way and while he clearly isn't there he knows that is one part of attaining that level....the other is to put in the work in the film room and on the field.

Except he really doesn't believe it.

He deserved Heisman and OROY. He had really good years. Doesn't mean he's a good pro QB, though.

Yeah. Luck ran a offense at Stanford that featured like 3 TE's and 2 FB's.

Hard to put up Heisman numbers in that kind of O.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I like RG3 and hope he turns his career around.

Yeah. Luck ran a offense at Stanford that featured like 3 TE's and 2 FB's.

Hard to put up Heisman numbers in that kind of O.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I like RG3 and hope he turns his career around.

I always thought Luck was clearly the best player, but Griffin had better numbers, and that's mostly what those awards are for.