Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

John Boyett still wants to play

Superman

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2424220-john-boyett-fighting-to-reclaim-nfl-dream-after-nightmare-start-to-career

No surprise there. But I just read this article and learned some stuff about him that I didn't know before. He was always a really good prospect, it's too bad he did some stupid stuff. I hope he's able to keep himself together this time and salvage some of his career. 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2424220-john-boyett-fighting-to-reclaim-nfl-dream-after-nightmare-start-to-career

No surprise there. But I just read this article and learned some stuff about him that I didn't know before. He was always a really good prospect, it's too bad he did some stupid stuff. I hope he's able to keep himself together this time and salvage some of his career. 

I was just about to post that, interesting article. 

I'm all for 2nd chances, but isn't that what the Broncos gave him?  And he blew that by punching the cab driver.  Does he really deserve a 3rd chance?  Does he deserve to make 6 figures after being arrested twice for alcohol-related issues?

Maybe as long as he has benefited from a professional rehab and has no relapses. Alcohol addition can be beat if the person has the will power. Deserve has zero to do with it. If he has the talent and can contribute then he will be signed by some team.

I'm all for 2nd chances, but isn't that what the Broncos gave him?  And he blew that by punching the cab driver.  Does he really deserve a 3rd chance?  Does he deserve to make 6 figures after being arrested twice for alcohol-related issues?

I don't think we can frame it like that.  Some people got more chances then one can count in the NFL while other people barely got the chance at all.

Fact is he's just not that good of a player in NFL terms.  So it's not worth it to teams to keep him.  If the guy was a great player, a couple alcohol arrests wouldn't end his career, not by a long shot.  But he's not, he was like the 53rd guy with the Colts when he made the team and then he went to be on the Bronco's practice squad (not a place where good players stay.)  

Now I suppose it's possible he could have developed into a good player, But that's always a maybe.  

Reality is that he's not good enough of a player to get away with that kind of stuff.  If he was a really good player he'd get a heck of a lot more then 2 chances.  He'd keep getting chances until the NFL just suspended him and refused to revoke it.  

I don't think it's a question of what he deserves. First and foremost, can he help your team? If you don't like the answer to that question, nothing else matters. If you think he can help your team, then it's about whether you think you can trust him to stay out of trouble. That's hard to do with a track record like his.

Then you look at guys like Cris Carter: supplemental draft pick because he lost his eligibility after secretly signing with an agent, 4th rounder, abused alcohol and drugs, got cut after his third season, rode the bench his fourth season, then got going in his fifth season. His talent made him worth the additional headaches for the Eagles, until the headaches began to outweigh the talent. But if the Vikings had said "he doesn't deserve another chance," they'd have missed out on a future HOFer.

I don't think Boyett will ever be a HOFer. But he was a top prospect at Oregon, before he got hurt. Everyone who has ever played with him or coached him who is on the record talks about how great a person he is, how selfless he is, etc. Probably some fluff, but he's never had a bad reputation, until he did.

Maybe as long as he has benefited from a professional rehab and has no relapses. Alcohol addition can be beat if the person has the will power. Deserve has zero to do with it. If he has the talent and can contribute then he will be signed by some team.

I don't think we can frame it like that.  Some people got more chances then one can count in the NFL while other people barely got the chance at all.

Fact is he's just not that good of a player in NFL terms.  So it's not worth it to teams to keep him.  If the guy was a great player, a couple alcohol arrests wouldn't end his career, not by a long shot.  But he's not, he was like the 53rd guy with the Colts when he made the team and then he went to be on the Bronco's practice squad (not a place where good players stay.)  

Now I suppose it's possible he could have developed into a good player, But that's always a maybe.  

Reality is that he's not good enough of a player to get away with that kind of stuff.  If he was a really good player he'd get a heck of a lot more then 2 chances.  He'd keep getting chances until the NFL just suspended him and refused to revoke it.  

I don't think it's a question of what he deserves. First and foremost, can he help your team? If you don't like the answer to that question, nothing else matters. If you think he can help your team, then it's about whether you think you can trust him to stay out of trouble. That's hard to do with a track record like his.

Then you look at guys like Cris Carter: supplemental draft pick because he lost his eligibility after secretly signing with an agent, 4th rounder, abused alcohol and drugs, got cut after his third season, rode the bench his fourth season, then got going in his fifth season. His talent made him worth the additional headaches for the Eagles, until the headaches began to outweigh the talent. But if the Vikings had said "he doesn't deserve another chance," they'd have missed out on a future HOFer.

I don't think Boyett will ever be a HOFer. But he was a top prospect at Oregon, before he got hurt. Everyone who has ever played with him or coached him who is on the record talks about how great a person he is, how selfless he is, etc. Probably some fluff, but he's never had a bad reputation, until he did.

Well said by all of you.  I guess it comes down to determining whether his headaches/potential off-the-field troubles outweigh what he can do for your team, as all of you said.  Risk vs. reward.  He has (or had before the knee problems, I'm not sure how he is now) the talent to make a team better.  I think this stuff would be more of an issue if he works towards a long-term deal, but there are many more factors that go into that.

Anyone recall what Boyett's projected round to be drafted in was when he was considering declaring for the 2013 draft?

Also, given the descriptions of his play, he sounds like a more polished Clayton Geathers.  Physical, aggressive, hard-hitting, but underwhelming coverage ability.  Is that an accurate assessment to call him a more polished Geathers?

Well said by all of you.  I guess it comes down to determining whether his headaches/potential off-the-field troubles outweigh what he can do for your team, as all of you said.  Risk vs. reward.  He has (or had before the knee problems, I'm not sure how he is now) the talent to make a team better.  I think this stuff would be more of an issue if he works towards a long-term deal, but there are many more factors that go into that.

Anyone recall what Boyett's projected round to be drafted in was when he was considering declaring for the 2013 draft?

Also, given the descriptions of his play, he sounds like a more polished Clayton Geathers.  Physical, aggressive, hard-hitting, but underwhelming coverage ability.  Is that an accurate assessment to call him a more polished Geathers?

He was considering the 2012 draft. I don't think he got very far into that process before deciding to return to Oregon. Then he shut it down after one game in 2012. Got drafted in 2013. I think that we took him in the 6th after he missed pretty much the entire season previous speaks to how highly thought of he was. Many considered him Oregon's best defensive player. He made a lot of plays, and everyone that talked about him gushed about how competitive he was, how hard he worked, how smart he was on the field, etc. He was a steal for us. The article I posted has a quote from someone saying he'd probably be starting for the Colts if not for his arrest.

He's now two and a half years removed from his knee surgeries, so I assume he's fine. But it's also been two and a half years since he really took some football related contact. 

If I had to compare him to someone, I think I'd say Eric Weddle. (Kind of like comparing Dorsett to Antonio Brown; doesn't mean he's that good, just that his play style is similar.)

Boyett was my favorite pick of the 2013 Colts draft....

He may time around 4.6,  but his instincts and ability to diagnose quickly are 4.4.

He had great tape for fans to watch....   very impressive.

But he blew it -- twice.    And I said when we cut him that I'd give him a 2nd chance if he went to rehab.

And then he blew it in Denver....

The story says he's been sober for 7 months.    No drinking.    Then, it says he went to rehab, but doesn't say how long.

I'd be all for the Colts giving him a 2nd chance,  but I suspect Lollygagger is right,  the Eagles will get him.   The kid can play.

The one thing all of course 2015 draft picks have in common (and I suspect our free agents as well)  is that they are all very, very high character guys.      No issues.    Team first guys.     Guys who love the game and are good teammates.

I suspect we'll stay away from Boyett.    And that's too bad,  because I think he can really play.

Good luck to him.....   hope it works out for him and soon....

The one thing all of course 2015 draft picks have in common (and I suspect our free agents as well)  is that they are all very, very high character guys.      No issues.    Team first guys.     Guys who love the game and are good teammates.

I suspect we'll stay away from Boyett.    And that's too bad,  because I think he can really play.

Good luck to him.....   hope it works out for him and soon....

I don't think the Colts go anywhere near him. Not only did he really embarrass himself and the staff, but anyone with high profile DUI/DWI issues is probably poison for us, after Irsay's issue last year. Like you said, it's too bad, but the dude shot himself in the foot. Then shot himself in the other foot.

He's one of the guys that should be trying to get on a CFL roster for a year.

I hope some team gives him a chance. I hate to see a kid not get a real chance because he did some stupid stuff and/or acted immature. It just takes some kid's longer to grow up and figure things out. I'm sure he's on the right track, and I think he'll act right if given an opportunity. A lot of kid's will act stupid for a while and be wild before finally growing up, and again it just takes some longer to figure things out than others. I'm sure he's already looked back at things he's done and thought "Oh my God what was I thinking". Colt Lyerla is another guy who comes to mind. I thought that kid was going to be great. But yeah I really hope John Boy gets a last chance.

Funny how people think that Chip is going to go after every former Oregon player.  Chip would like to have Oregon players he knows he can trust which is completely different.

Nothing came out publicly, but Boyett was no saint in college either.  He's not going to Philly, and I don't think he'll get his career on track.

I hope we stay away from the kid. He had his chances.

I think Grig's learned his lesson with knuckleheads like Rogers Purifoy The Prez and the likes. It sets the team back when you waste roster spots on these ticking time bombs.

You can't fix stupid high character would be one of the more important things I look at. This typically goes hand in hand with a hard worker that has his priorities in order.

I am really interested to see how Carter looks the preseason. Does he still struggle to get off the ball vs press coverage?

To me I just don't like school translates to I'm to lazy to live up to my end of a scholarship. I hope he is judged on what he does on the field not who his daddy is or untapped potential.

I'm not lobbying for Boyett, but I disagree with this statement. Many times, it's a matter of growing up.

I agree many times it is a matter of growing up but if there is a clear pattern of stupid as was the case with Purifoy and Rogers..... it kind of like fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me.

Boyett to me has clearly demonstrated that he just doesn't get it. I hope it is another team that wastes a roster spot on the kid while they wait on him to implode and the Colts bring in some fresh blood that has demonstrated that football is the most important thing in their life. We give that kid a chance to develop.

The guy had his shot.....twice. Every time a player who has broken rules or disgraced himself takes a roster spot, he is taking it from another player...perhaps one who might not run quite a fast, or hit quite as hard...but who has been working his butt off, treading water, waiting on opportunity to land on a roster. Talent doesn't trump everything.

This organization is learning that character trumps many things. I hope we continue to reinforce this by example.