Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would You Stop Following The Colts If They Threw Week 17 Vs The Jaguars?

SilentHill

95 members have voted

1. 1. Would you still be a Colts fan if they threw the game at Jax next Sunday?

• Yes
    • No

Hypothetical Question here, (with a poll)

Would you stop following the Colts if it looked like they threw the game next Sunday at JAX? I'm talking like obviously thrown balls to defenders and intentional looking fumbles and such.

I know people will come in here and say they wouldn't ever do it so it's not worth discussing, but like I said this is HYPOTHETICAL so do your best to assume the unthinkable.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting question. I don't think I'd stop following them but I would expect there to be some kind of problem to arise from it

Is this how the NFL and it's fan base wants things to happen?

I think we would deserve whatever was dealt to us as a result of this kind of game fixing,you know?

As a hypothetical.......NO I would not follow the Colts any longer. They would be dead to me. As well, the NFL would become what the NBA became to me......dead. When a team sacrifices integrity for profit, they've crossed the line. In the realm of professional sports, winning is profit. When the Pats broke the rules and video tapped opponents, they not only aided their ability to win, they increased the profit margin of their franchise.

Throwing a game for draft position is cheating. If the game ever sank to that level, count me out.

As a hypothetical.......NO I would not follow the Colts any longer. They would be dead to me. As well, the NFL would become what the NBA became to me......dead. When a team sacrifices integrity for profit, they've crossed the line. In the realm of professional sports, winning is profit. When the Pats broke the rules and video tapped opponents, they not only aided their ability to win, they increased the profit margin of their franchise.

Throwing a game for draft position is cheating. If the game ever sank to that level, count me out.

I feel the way you do, but then I feel like a hypocrite because I'm a White Sox fan... and we all know about the 1919 Black Sox, even though when I started my fandom it was many many years after that and I had never heard about it before I became a fan. This type of stuff goes down in every professional sport, so I'm not sure if I should write it off or just place it as part of the game.

I feel the way you do, but then I feel like a hypocrite because I'm a White Sox fan... and we all know about the 1919 Black Sox, even though when I started my fandom it was many many years after that and I had never heard about it before I became a fan. This type of stuff goes down in every professional sport, so I'm not sure if I should write it off or just place it as part of the game.

Well that was a long time ago and many regulations have been put in place since then. Gambling more than anything had its insidious hand in spoiling the name of professional sports.

The only feasible way that a team could attempt to throw a game yet circumvent the rules and regulations would be to start 2nd and 3rd stringers/practice squad, under the guise that they are 'in-house scouting' for evaluation purposes. Because of free-agency and the individual players performance effectively being there resume, a team simply cannot stop them from trying to win unless they make them sit.

Well that was a long time ago and many regulations have been put in place since then. Gambling more than anything had its insidious hand in spoiling the name of professional sports.

The only feasible way that a team could attempt to throw a game yet circumvent the rules and regulations would be to start 2nd and 3rd stringers/practice squad, under the guise that they are 'in-house scouting' for evaluation purposes. Because of free-agency and the individual players performance effectively being there resume, a team simply cannot stop them from trying to win unless they make them sit.

But there is a NFL rule you have to field a competitve team. So you really can't put scrubs out there.

Similarly throwing a game would be difficult to get by the NFL not to mention its not how football players play.

And throwing games at 14-0 isn't cheating the paying fans?.....

But there is a NFL rule you have to field a competitve team. So you really can't put scrubs out there.

Similarly throwing a game would be difficult to get by the NFL not to mention its not how football players play.

So does this mean we can't get one more look at Painter to be sure we keep the right QB on the roster next year?

You beat me too it. Somewhere, somehow, people are shutting their eyes on this. Or perhaps it's only cheating if you disagree with the motive behind the decision.

I don't want the players to quit, I want Polian to be consistent, then I might have a little bit of respect for him as a GM / VP.....

Comment of the day

On fiield Fake an injury by QB, Freeney & wayne, &i Angerer , or just angerer and let MJ run l;osee ( LOL )

I've always been curious how this rule applied to resting starters late in the year? I'm sure the NFL would understand the difference between resting starters for the post-season and resting starters to tank, but how the language in the rule apply itself in this case?

I wouldn't stop following the Colts, but I certainly wouldn't be proud of them. Play to your best abilities. If that turns out to be a loss, you still put your best effort out there and looking at the positive side of it, we would get the first overall pick. But I don't want them to lose on purpose

If there is a 'rule' about resting starters, then it cannot be just for the play-offs. Each team must be able to rest them for their own reasons. Otherwise it's like a 'wealth tax'.

If it against the rules, then I'd like to see it administered.

As a coach, surely I have the right to field fledgling players in a real season game to appraise them? And if they are on the 53 team roster, surely they can play in any game, any time?

No offense but ....thats frickin dumb. As an NFL fan you know darn well that once home field is locked the starters come out.

I wouldn't stop following the Colts, but I certainly wouldn't be proud of them. Play to your best abilities. If that turns out to be a loss, you still put your best effort out there and looking at the positive side of it, we would get the first overall pick. But I don't want them to lose on purpose

Agree. Intentionally throwing the game would reflect on management, not the players. No player is going to tank a game.

I've been a Colts fan since the Unitas days and will continue to 'follow the laundry', as Seinfield says.

I would still follow them but I'd be very disappointed..

It show a lack of character...

It says that there ARE reason to tank games to the young players..

I'd rather have our rookies head into the offseason with a 3-game winning streak...and pride about playing in Indy

I would be very upset if they purposely threw the game. I have seen such joy and determination and pride on the players faces the last 2 weeks, it would be so hard to not see that one more week. Plus, we don't know who all will be back in blue next year...so I don't want to see their final game as a loss.

I would prefer to head into the offseason with a good mental attitude and a best momentum we can muster at this point.

I have felt that the team hasn't so much as 'threw' games this season as they haven't given their all in a few of the them. That was disheartening, especially to the players who did leave it all on the field. The seemed to play as a team lately and that gives me hope.

I just don't want to see that crumble just for the one draft place. Many of those players will be back here next year. For many, this game is their resume. Either way, they need a good one to put down on paper.

I know the FO has said they can take a 1st round pick salary, but I would rather spend some of that on the rest of the team and have a 2/3 round instead. But if 1st is what we get and we did all we could in the game against the Jags, I have no problem with that. If the coach decides he wants to protect some starters and pull them out if things are getting chippy (because it is a "meaningless game" as far as standings go), I won't have a huge issue with that either if the players are okay with it.

I would like have one more win, but right now my concern (as a fan) is for the players. All of them. I want them to have a great game to look back on, esp. if it is their last one as a Colt.

There is no difference. They would be bashed if they let Mcaffee punt on 1st down on every possession but in my opinion in the grand scheme of things that is no different from they take Manning out of games, or the starters out of games.

Some act by throwing a game now is not honorable but yanking 18 & company when facing perfection was. Polian & Caldwell don't know a thing about being honorable to the game of football, the players or the fans. You can include Irsay into that equation too since he was obviously on board with it.

No one is going to tank games. If the Colts' front office wanted to do that, they would have kept Painter as QB because he was not showing any improvement. Of course, if they lost the last game, it would not bother me. :thmup:

ummm, they have in fact kept Painter, and I believe he is still listed on roster as a QB.

Not for nothing, but the NFL disagrees with you. The NFL changed the schedule after the Colts laid down in '09 by making sure that the last two games on the schedule are divisional games.

That was a direct result, INHO, of what the Colts did in '09.

(null)

Good point Viri....

The NFL was probably embarassed by what we did in 2009...

they cant have people thinking games are being thrown for ANY reason.

I would not quit watching and rooting for them, but my image of them would be tarnished that they did not live up to what I thought them to be, and I would definately be calling for the whole front office to be fired.

This is not a decision that would be made by the players, and I root for the players and the team, but I would not ever want to see it happen again and if proven I hope those responsible would get fired and fined to the highest extent possible.

Anyone who goes on about being a "true fan" yet would still stop supporting Colts would need to get their ideas straight.

Personally I'd not mind too much - I don't like the FO anyway, and if it works out for the best then so be it. I don't WANT us to throw it, I just want us to lose.

Anyone who goes on about being a "true fan" yet would still stop supporting Colts would need to get their ideas straight.

Thats like saying you're not a good wife if you leave your husband for cheating on you. A true fan does not need to be a blind fan.

Thats like saying you're not a good wife if you leave your husband for cheating on you. A true fan does not need to be a blind fan.

It's not the team who would be responsible, but Polian or Caldwell - by all means turn against them but could you honestly say if we went "Yep, we're gonna do what we think is best for the future of this franchise" you'd go "Nope had enough of this. What I think is best for the team overrules what the people who matter think is best for the team so I don't like the team"?

It's not the team who would be responsible, but Polian or Caldwell - by all means turn against them but could you honestly say if we went "Yep, we're gonna do what we think is best for the future of this franchise" you'd go "Nope had enough of this. What I think is best for the team overrules what the people who matter think is best for the team so I don't like the team"?

Yes, honestly, if they laid down like dogs to manipulate their draft order, I would lose interest in a sport that has sacrificed integrity for profit.

Yes, honestly, if they laid down like dogs to manipulate their draft order, I would lose interest in a sport that has sacrificed integrity for profit.

How would you know? Would you assume we threw it if we lost? If Orlovsky threw four picks?

How would you know? Would you assume we threw it if we lost? If Orlovsky threw four picks?

I know this was not addressed to me but no player is going to lay down.

Did you see Reggie's interview on the news? Basically he said that the players look out for their own careers and leave it to management to worry about draft picks, as that is their job.

Well thats the trick. The Colts have played so bad this year is easy to understand why some of the less intelligent fans conjured conspiracies of tanking.

The OP of this thread did stipulate 'if it appeared obvious'. I think the hypothetical would be better structured if he had given the parameter that it came out via the players leaking that they had been instructed to do so, thus removing any question of motive to better lay out this hypothetical.

I know this was not addressed to me but no player is going to lay down.

Did you see Reggie's interview on the news? Basically he said that the players look out for their own careers and leave it to management to worry about draft picks, as that is their job.

Well thats the trick. The Colts have played so bad this year is easy to understand why some of the less intelligent fans conjured conspiracies of tanking.

The OP of this thread did stipulate 'if it appeared obvious'. I think the hypothetical would be better structured if he had given the parameter that it came out via the players leaking that they had been instructed to do so, thus removing any question of motive to better lay out this hypothetical.

Applies to both of you in that obviously no player is going to lay down - I think the two last games and our player's reactions to them have proved that, not that we'd be tanking from the start anyway. The problem is we have no idea about how deliberate a loss could be - Caldwell and gang could easily feel ridiculously conservative offensive plays and too risky defensive plays which would break the game for us. I'd need proof (as ruksak says, maybe by players leaking it) to make any sort of judgement

The only way they can somewhat pull it off is by resting Orlovsky to give time with his new family of triplets and putting Painter in. It is not a certainty that Painter will lose it but the odds of losing improve with Painter in.

If they do that, Irsay may have no choice but to remove the Polians from the top of the helm because too much pressure will be there from the NFL commish office, you can bet.

I won't stop watching them but if that happens, I would want the Polians definitely out of here even if they have gifted the so-called-next-legacy QB in Andrew Luck. That would not be right whatsoever on so many levels.

If the Colts - Jags game was nationally televised and they went into the Colts fan sections and asked them "Do you want the Colts to lose or win?" would some of you really be able to say "I want them to lose so we can get the 1st pick....yahoooooooo". I think most of you would be embarrassed for the world to see that's what kind of person you are. But here on a message board, you will say it.