Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would You Stop Following The Colts If They Threw Week 17 Vs The Jaguars?

SilentHill

95 members have voted

1. 1. Would you still be a Colts fan if they threw the game at Jax next Sunday?

• Yes
    • No

These men are professionals. They have been all season. None of our PLAYERS would intentionally throw a game for the good of our franchise, can't say the same for the entire front office, however I don't believe that many players in the NFL would throw games to risk their own career. And the comment about the Patriots.... They have played dirty always, that is why they didn't pull their starters for the perfect season. They wanted it all, not just a super bowl win, and it didn't work in their favor. Why would we want to follow in their footsteps (not saying I agree with how it was done, just don't want to be put in the same category with a dirty franchise!).

Let’s just support our team like a TRUE fan. Anyone remember the '98 draft when we got flack for Manning instead of Leaf?! Maybe this year will be the same!

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You understand that we get the No.2 pick in the draft..EVEN IF WE WIN SUNDAY? RIGHT?

AMEN! Thank you for reminding our "fair weather fans" that.... Anyone remember the late 80's? We would have NEVER been discussing this, just thrilled that we won more than one game!!!!

We folded and gave up at 14-0 a few years ago, and I didn't stop being a fan. That's FAR, FAR worse, IMO, than folding at 2-13.

But I don't think that Polian, who tells the HC and Owner what to do, will tell them to fold at 2-13. It's all about Polian's ego of course........

A boring re-hash, but if 2009 didn't turn me away from the team, then nothing else will. If Caldwell and the Polians stay in power again next season, and stink it up again and Irsay still doesn't fire them, then I may care a bit less until they are gone, but I'll still buy my game pass and watch every match, day or night.

Having only been a fan since 2004, at least I know it's not all about the glory days. I've now suffered like all of you long time fans who went through the bad times many times before.

Okay, since we had to go there...I will take my shot at reasoning about the "perfect season" debacle.

The next week was Buffalo, IIRC. And a record blizzard on the frozen tundra. Polian was in Buffalo for a lot of years and had experience with players in those conditions that time of year.

Perhaps (just my own thoughts) they knew they did NOT want to play everyone for the whole game in Buffalo regardless of the record. I realize that Reggie and Dallas played for a bit, but not the whole game. Anyway...It would have been 100x more heartbreaking to be 15-0 and lose there or have the players pulled after being 15-0. Even worse, having Peyton or someone else get seriously injured in that game.

Injuries DO happen this time of the year and they do make a difference on the team. No one has foresight, only hindsight. But you have to ask what ifs on - Freeney and SB, Wes Welker in the *, heck...Greg Jennings right now? There are lots of other examples.

Being cautious is not cheating. Deliberating laying down so you can effect the draft is, IMHO.

Just my :2c:.

Okay, since we had to go there...I will take my shot at reasoning about the "perfect season" debacle.

The next week was Buffalo, IIRC. And a record blizzard on the frozen tundra. Polian was in Buffalo for a lot of years and had experience with players in those conditions that time of year.

Perhaps (just my own thoughts) they knew they did NOT want to play everyone for the whole game in Buffalo regardless of the record. I realize that Reggie and Dallas played for a bit, but not the whole game. Anyway...It would have been 100x more heartbreaking to be 15-0 and lose there or have the players pulled after being 15-0. Even worse, having Peyton or someone else get seriously injured in that game.

Injuries DO happen this time of the year and they do make a difference on the team. No one has foresight, only hindsight. But you have to ask what ifs on - Freeney and SB, Wes Welker in the *, heck...Greg Jennings right now? There are lots of other examples.

Being cautious is not cheating. Deliberating laying down so you can effect the draft is, IMHO.

Just my :2c:.

Good points well made. I counter with:

1. The timing / kiddology (sp?) of when they were pulled. Why not take them out at Jax the previous week. Same thought process, and a week closer to the Play-offs, which would help with the 'rusty' factor. If it was to lure the fans to the final regular season game at the LOS, then that is shameful. They players were duped, telling by there actions. If that is not messing with their prep / phsycological readiness, then I despair.

2. Momentum. OK, Bill doesn't believe in it, I get it. Many others do.

3. Players get injured during the first snap (Welker). Even playing them at all in Buffalo was a joke and an insult. Especially in those conditions. Finishing off the Jets game, and resting all the starters would have made more sense.

4. Implications on the Play-off picture. If not cheating, it was certainly bringing the game into disrespect. :edit:

5. Freeney got injured in a meaningless snap in the Jets rematch. Makes a total mockery of the whole resting theory in my book.

6. The strategy failed. We lost the SB.

7. The League thought we done wrong, or they wouldn't have revamped the schedule planning.

8. Polian's disgusting and arrogant mishandling of the aftermath.

9. Short changing the fans. I know how I felt watching on TV 5000 miles away, what must those paying their hard earned dollar who were at the game have felt.

10. Giving up on NFL history. Cowardly and feeble management throughout this whole sorry episode.

It's just down to personal opinion I know, so throw the Jags game by pulling starters is significantly less controversial than 2009 will ever be.

Hey, I was quite a long way away and was yelling at the TV pretty loudly and I know the amount of anger we dealt with on the forum. That is still the biggest storm we have ever dealt with. Understandable.

You make many good points.

I will just say two wrongs don't make a right. ;) So if it was wrong back then, it is certainly wrong now. :dunno:

Hey, I was quite a long way away and was yelling at the TV pretty loudly and I know the amount of anger we dealt with on the forum. That is still the biggest storm we have ever dealt with. Understandable.

You make many good points.

I will just say two wrongs don't make a right. ;) So if it was wrong back then, it is certainly wrong now. :dunno:

Yes, you are correct. But as I like consistency, I want to stick to the same principles! I agree we need to move on.....until the next season where resting starters may come up again!

I hope your Scottish hubby didn't give you a hard time this season. It's been a long time since his Redskins have won more games than the Colts! Although I can just picture him doing the 'Chandler Dance'...

Happy 'Hogmanay' to you and yours when it comes!

Let's say that the Colts lose this weekend, and secure the first overall pick in the draft. Some fans will think that we lost on purpose, regardless. I would be okay with a loss, but not with the team tanking.

What if the team tanks and gets the first overall draft pick? And then they trade the pick for a bounty of draft picks. The players they draft with those picks make an immediate impact on next year's team and we are a Super Bowl contender. Would you still not be a fan of the Colts because they tanked a meaningless game?

Let's say that the Colts lose this weekend, and secure the first overall pick in the draft. Some fans will think that we lost on purpose, regardless. I would be okay with a loss, but not with the team tanking.

What if the team tanks and gets the first overall draft pick? And then they trade the pick for a bounty of draft picks. The players they draft with those picks make an immediate impact on next year's team and we are a Super Bowl contender. Would you still not be a fan of the Colts because they tanked a meaningless game?

The game of football isn't played for these reasons. Many of us, in both camps, have made the game more complicated then it is. Never is this game to be played to lose.

If the game Sunday is truly meaningless, then why all the emotion and hoopla over it?

Because it only has meaning if they lose?

Maybe it only has meaning if they cheat?

Anyone that actually says they will stop following the Colts if they throw Sundays game is an dipstick. Seriously, if any of you think that anyone else takes you serious about that then your in need of professional help. Just stop it. The best thing for this organization is to lose Sunday. Plain and simple. There is no explanation anyone can give to not lose and get the number one pick. This isnt even about Luck. I could give a dang about him. Its just time the Colts get the chance to get some excellent draft picks to restock this depleated team. Lets not forget that the reason this team started getting great players is because we sucked for so long. We were able to select premium players at the draft. Its been too long since we have been in a position to have a top notch draft. Lets not >>> that up over 1 game. This is a team that didnt play their starters the last game and a half when we were undefeated. I dont want to hear about this team caring about wins and loses then.

The game of football isn't played for these reasons. Many of us, in both camps, have made the game more complicated then it is. Never is this game to be played to lose.

If the game Sunday is truly meaningless, then why all the emotion and hoopla over it?

Because it only has meaning if they lose?

Maybe it only has meaning if they cheat?

Sorry Ruksak. The hoopla is really only coming from the 'goody two shoes real fans' who want us shameful, self centred pretend fans to quit supporting this ball club.

Whilst all we want is a quiet loss to take us to the top of the programme at Radio City in April.

Anyone that actually says they will stop following the Colts if they throw Sundays game is an dipstick. Seriously, if any of you think that anyone else takes you serious about that then your in need of professional help. Just stop it. The best thing for this organization is to lose Sunday. Plain and simple. There is no explanation anyone can give to not lose and get the number one pick. This isnt even about Luck. I could give a dang about him. Its just time the Colts get the chance to get some excellent draft picks to restock this depleated team. Lets not forget that the reason this team started getting great players is because we sucked for so long. We were able to select premium players at the draft. Its been too long since we have been in a position to have a top notch draft. Lets not >>> that up over 1 game. This is a team that didnt play their starters the last game and a half when we were undefeated. I dont want to hear about this team caring about wins and loses then.

I couldn't agree more. I honestly wouldn't care if Caldwell went out to midfield and forfeited the game before they even flipped the coin. I would still follow the Colts come next yr. when winning a game becomes meaningful again. People can say im a terrible fan if they want, but I've been a Colts fan longer than most of the people here even realized Indy had a team. Many here are Manning fans and not Colts fans(by their own admission) so IMO they don't even have a dog in the fight(so to say). Sundays game is absolutey meaningless(from a winning standpoint) and only becomes signifigant if they lose. I will say it again, I understand the sentiment of never rooting for your team to lose, but I still say those rooting so badly for a win and mocking those who really could care less if we lose, IMO have their own personal ulterior motives.

Sorry Ruksak. The hoopla is really only coming from the 'goody two shoes real fans' who want us shameful, self centred pretend fans to quit supporting this ball club.

Whilst all we want is a quiet loss to take us to the top of the programme at Radio City in April.

People can say im a terrible fan if they want,

People can call me a sappy fan if they want......it is true, I am

I couldn't agree more. I honestly wouldn't care if Caldwell went out to midfield and forfeited the game before they even flipped the coin. I would still follow the Colts come next yr. when winning a game becomes meaningful again. People can say im a terrible fan if they want, but I've been a Colts fan longer than most of the people here even realized Indy had a team. Many here are Manning fans and not Colts fans(by their own admission) so IMO they don't even have a dog in the fight(so to say). Sundays game is absolutey meaningless(from a winning standpoint) and only becomes signifigant if they lose. I will say it again, I understand the sentiment of never rooting for your team to lose, but I still say those rooting so badly for a win and mocking those who really could care less if we lose, IMO have their own personal ulterior motives.

Length of 'fan dom' is irrelevant, and ruined a fairly good post. You were a '1st Year' fan many moons ago, for example. There are no length of service awards here. That said, your Caldwell comment made me laugh, so thanks for that.

First, will people please stop calling each other names?

Second, everybody here is a fan. If they were not, they would not be posting

Heck my own brother stopped watching Colts games this season because they depressed him. I still think he's a fan though

Length of 'fan dom' is irrelevant, and ruined a fairly good post. You were a '1st Year' fan many moons ago, for example. There are no length of service awards here. That said, your Caldwell comment made me laugh, so thanks for that.

I wasn't trying to win a contest but simply pointing out that there are many here that try to point out being a better fan because they are rooting for a win sunday. I didn't become a fan because the Colts finally started winning or because they drafted a certain player. I stuck with them thru thick and thin and that will continue no matter what they done. It makes me want to vomit everytime i see "Im a Manning fan first" statement followed by them offering advise as to what the Colts should do come draft day. Why should they care, except for the fact that their beloved Manning will be somewhat affected if we drafted Luck. If that happened, jump to the next team he's on and don't worry about how the Colts should conduct business.

I don't care how long you have been a fan, why you are a fan, or if you choose another team tomorrow. Today you root for a team I love and that makes you my brother in spirit. Thank you for being a fan today.

I agree.......it's fun when the bandwagon is here. Love me some bandwagoners!

I don't care how long you have been a fan, why you are a fan, or if you choose another team tomorrow. Today you root for a team I love and that makes you my brother in spirit. Thank you for being a fan today.

I tried to get onboard with that way of thinking for a while, but I have a problem with people that only follow the team because of Manning that offer opinions what the team should do draftwise, when they openly admit when Manning is gone they will no longer root for the Colts. Guess im just not as evolved!

I tried to get onboard with that way of thinking for a while, but I have a problem with people that only follow the team because of Manning that offer opinions what the team should do draftwise, when they openly admit when Manning is gone they will no longer root for the Colts. Guess im just not as evolved!

Really? I guess I've never met anyone who has set the end date for their fandom.

Hard to take their draft advice seriously if they are not planning on being here for sure

Really? I guess I've never met anyone who has set the end date for their fandom.

Hard to take their draft advice seriously if they are not planning on being here for sure

Im not going to name drop here, but suffice it to say, there have been several here admit it and they are the one's that are so badly against the idea of drafting Luck.

BTW, I admit that I would like to get Luck in the draft, but if we don't, then we don't. I mostly would rather see the Colts lose on sunday to hopefully get rid of Caldwell. I think a win solidifies his return next season and the thoughts of that IMO don't bode well for the Colts next yr. either.

Posted · Hidden by Coltssouth, December 29, 2011 - Duplicate Post
Hidden by Coltssouth, December 29, 2011 - Duplicate Post

Even a 6 year rookie Brit who's never been to Indy?

I have seen so much debate on here, ESPN, family, friends, other website on what the Colts should do and it seems to go back and forth to not let starters play to play to win. I am all for putting the backups in the game from the first play. What is the difference from doing that to resting the starters when going for the perfect season? The organization has laid down before and I hope they realize they should do it again here. I understand they are football players and they want to play and they want to win, but what does 3-13 accomplish, nothing. They could potentially get the best player to enter the draft since our own #18!

Hypothetical Question here, (with a poll)

Would you stop following the Colts if it looked like they threw the game next Sunday at JAX? I'm talking like obviously thrown balls to defenders and intentional looking fumbles and such.

I know people will come in here and say they wouldn't ever do it so it's not worth discussing, but like I said this is HYPOTHETICAL so do your best to assume the unthinkable.

How much different is it to throw the game than resting players like we did when we were 14-0. You could say when we were 14-0 we still tried to win the game with scrubs. This is different, but not by much.

Teams don't throw games, ever.

Teams that secure 1st round byes have EARNED the right to rest.

Not at 14-0.

That's cowardly, yellow, CS, unethical, especially after playing for 3 quarters in the 15th game, and starting in a snow storm for personal records in the 16th game.

Good points well made. I counter with:

1. The timing / kiddology (sp?) of when they were pulled. Why not take them out at Jax the previous week. Same thought process, and a week closer to the Play-offs, which would help with the 'rusty' factor. If it was to lure the fans to the final regular season game at the LOS, then that is shameful. They players were duped, telling by there actions. If that is not messing with their prep / phsycological readiness, then I despair.

2. Momentum. OK, Bill doesn't believe in it, I get it. Many others do.

3. Players get injured during the first snap (Welker). Even playing them at all in Buffalo was a joke and an insult. Especially in those conditions. Finishing off the Jets game, and resting all the starters would have made more sense.

4. Implications on the Play-off picture. If not cheating, it was certainly bringing the game into disrespect. :edit:

5. Freeney got injured in a meaningless snap in the Jets rematch. Makes a total mockery of the whole resting theory in my book.

6. The strategy failed. We lost the SB.

7. The League thought we done wrong, or they wouldn't have revamped the schedule planning.

8. Polian's disgusting and arrogant mishandling of the aftermath.

9. Short changing the fans. I know how I felt watching on TV 5000 miles away, what must those paying their hard earned dollar who were at the game have felt.

10. Giving up on NFL history. Cowardly and feeble management throughout this whole sorry episode.

It's just down to personal opinion I know, so throw the Jags game by pulling starters is significantly less controversial than 2009 will ever be.

What he said goes DOUBLE for me.