Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would You Stop Following The Colts If They Threw Week 17 Vs The Jaguars?

SilentHill

95 members have voted

1. 1. Would you still be a Colts fan if they threw the game at Jax next Sunday?

• Yes
    • No

1st of all your topic and your question are misleading. Would be really nice if they lined up the same as I'm sure many voters voted wrong on both sides.

Many of you are making the claim that it is wrong to forfeit a game because it a) goes against player's wishes to play competitively, b) robs the fans(especially those with tickets) of entertainment and c) because it is morally wrong.

Simply put: why do these questions not come up when teams rest starters at the end of the year or when team's pull starters during the preseason? Losing this game puts the Colts in a MUCH better position next year. The come away with either a lot of picks to help rebuild or with a possible, future franchise quarterback. And if we win we get what? Our Pride? Seriously, drop the whole righteous act and get real. Losing this game will be very beneficial to this franchise over the next few years(perhaps even longer).

The players are ALWAYS going to want to go out there and play their hardest. I'm sure Peyton Manning would prefer to take every single preseason snap and crush the competition. But it's not up to him, and it shouldn't be. It's simply not worth the risk of injury to play your starters during the preseason or during certain end of the season games where playoff spots are locked. Does this rob the fans of entertainment? Absolutely. I'll be the first to admit that I hate when teams do this. But I will still concede that it is more often than not, the right decision.

The management should always be considering what is best for the team. For management, the best case scenario for this game is for it to be a close loss. IMO, it is rather ignorant to think that Bill Polian or Irsay actually want us to win this game...

If you are a Colts fan and are actually wanting us to win this game, then I seriously question your loyalty or your sanity. Winning this game gets us absolutely nowhere. A small amount of pride is not worth three 1st round and two 2nd round picks or a potential, franchise QB. Sorry, but it's not.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good points well made. I counter with:

1. The timing / kiddology (sp?) of when they were pulled. Why not take them out at Jax the previous week. Same thought process, and a week closer to the Play-offs, which would help with the 'rusty' factor. If it was to lure the fans to the final regular season game at the LOS, then that is shameful. They players were duped, telling by there actions. If that is not messing with their prep / phsycological readiness, then I despair.

2. Momentum. OK, Bill doesn't believe in it, I get it. Many others do.

3. Players get injured during the first snap (Welker). Even playing them at all in Buffalo was a joke and an insult. Especially in those conditions. Finishing off the Jets game, and resting all the starters would have made more sense.

4. Implications on the Play-off picture. If not cheating, it was certainly bringing the game into disrespect. :edit:

5. Freeney got injured in a meaningless snap in the Jets rematch. Makes a total mockery of the whole resting theory in my book.

6. The strategy failed. We lost the SB.

7. The League thought we done wrong, or they wouldn't have revamped the schedule planning.

8. Polian's disgusting and arrogant mishandling of the aftermath.

9. Short changing the fans. I know how I felt watching on TV 5000 miles away, what must those paying their hard earned dollar who were at the game have felt.

10. Giving up on NFL history. Cowardly and feeble management throughout this whole sorry episode.

It's just down to personal opinion I know, so throw the Jags game by pulling starters is significantly less controversial than 2009 will ever be.

Could not agree more. I was sick to my stomach watching the 2nd half of the Jets game in Week 16. Sit them...rest them.....and "IF" you win on Sunday....then great. Otherwise, had no negative effect on the playoffs.

Keep in mind, we "helped" the Jets in 2009 get into the playoffs that year by quitting in the 2nd half. Which is more fair to the rest of the league? This has ZERO effect on any team that is trying to make the playoffs this yr.

Colts have essentially thrown games before by pulling & resting starters to position themselves better for the playoffs.

Most of us expressed disappointed but at the end of the day remained fans. This wouldn't exactly be unprecedented if the Colts took future considerations into account for a meaningless end of the season game. I fail to perceive any real difference here.

Furthermore proving that poorly thrown interceptions and ridiculous looking fumbles were intentional would be very difficult considering that it would be very hard to differentiate it from the horrible football we have been subjected to all season long! All the Colts would have to do is deny it and it would be their word against the speculation of a few outraged fans.

But after this weekend, can we PLLLEEAASSSEEEEE move on? :beg:

Hang on PeytonGirl, it has just begun. The rehash will be worse than anything we have seen so far, especially with the "Caldwell Decision" thrown into the mix.

You ain't seen nuttin' yet.....

Has any bad NFl team ever thrown a game for a draft pick? I was trying to rack my brain and I can't think of any. I remember in 1997 the Cardinals won on a last second touchdown against Atlanta that cost them the #1 or #2 in the 98 draft. can anyone think of any team tanking their last game for a pick?

Well, close, maybe...

How about this scenario...Texas, Tennessee, and Jax ALL TANK so the Colts:

1. Can't draft Luck

2. Keep Caldwell as head coach

3. Keep the Polians on board in FO

I'm just sayin'....

As a hypothetical.......NO I would not follow the Colts any longer. They would be dead to me. As well, the NFL would become what the NBA became to me......dead. When a team sacrifices integrity for profit, they've crossed the line. In the realm of professional sports, winning is profit. When the Pats broke the rules and video tapped opponents, they not only aided their ability to win, they increased the profit margin of their franchise.

Throwing a game for draft position is cheating. If the game ever sank to that level, count me out.

You should never be a Colts fan again if that is your stand. The Colts threw 2 games a few years back. You can say what you will but they threw them. Stay consistent and not defend the almost perfect season. They threw it back then and for whatever reason wasn't willing to do it today. You can buy into the Polian Kool Aid but I will not!

I am just curious, the people that voted they would not be a Colts fans if they threw this game, are those people still Colts fans when they threw away the perfect season and when they have rested starters in the past?

Not that this hasn't been beaten into the ground a 1,000 times, but this isn't as insightful as you might think.

The difference is that in 2009 the game was essentially an exhibition game for the Colts. Utterly meaningless in every respect. And while the outcome had unfortunate impact on other teams (which the league has wisely taken steps to correct), it's just another variable for them to take into account - not cheating.

This year they actually "win" by loosing. If you respond to that stimulus by trying to lose, then you are violating the most basics tenants of all competetive sports just as surely as someone who tries to lose because they bet against their own team. That's the reason that gambling is the ultimate no no. Not because it's morally wrong, but because it threatens the fabric of the game. Well the draft is essentially a lottery, and trying to lose to grab the prize is just as damaging to the sport as gambling is.

In other words, I think that the comparison you are making is invalid. Not trying in 2009 was just fine with me, and tanking in 2011 would have been inexcusable. However I would have kept rooting for my team. As a long time Colts fan I've been through a LOT worse than that.

"Not trying in 2009 was just fine with me, and tanking in 2011 would have been inexcusable". I do not understand this statement. How can not trying in one game be ok but not trying in another game is not acceptable? It is either OK both ways or not OK either way. This is what bugs me so much. This is the definition of hypocisy.