Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The management

basspapaw

Okay let me put it this way I think its his job to make the team the most money thats why he will be here a long time hes doing his job ,No other sinarios makes any since , If he happens to win its a bonus

sorry, but that's completely ridiculous.  NFL GM's and coaches have one responsibility...win games. That's it.  If they don't win games, they don't keep their jobs. 

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) There are other 30 teams, many of them improved their secondaries.

2) Johnson is not young, Moncrief is not proven and SB is 18 games away. You better be sure, you have somebody to play at a high level in February.

3) Yes, Brown will not see field that much when the Colts will play 75 snaps a game and Luck will throw 50 times. Or Hightower will be on a bench. Or Collins.

4) Yes, it's not difficult for bad OLman NOT to BLOCK defender. Read him. Option him. Sure, you can try to block three stud DL with three mediocre OL one on one. Bad idea. Or you can block one stud DL with two mediocre OL, option second one stud DL with "stick-draw" concept and run away from third stud DL (cut block him).

5) No, we do not play to their strength with 2step. Because next second after Hightower will drop in coverage on #3 WR, Luck will shove football to Gore. Put Hightower on Gore and S on #3 WR? It's basically Cover 0 on 3 WRs side. Not good.

1. I know... you brought up the Patriots...

2.  So we went and signed a vet to take care of this... plus sign young talent.  Yet we still needed to spend our first round pick as well?

3. You seem to not understand what I mean.  Brown is a Tackle.  His play will not be predicated on how many times we put 4 receivers or how many times Luck throws the ball.  In fact he might be out there more if he is able to occupy multiple people on our interior line which didn't improve so he may be out there much more than what you are "conceiving".

4.  Lol... I have no reply because we fundamentally disagree.  As I've said I not only have my own logic but past experience with the EXACT SAME teams as my variables... 

5.  So the old excuse only works with Andre but not with an over 30 RB? lol ok.  I'd say from here on out lets agree to disagree because your logic can't even follow your own parameters.

sorry, but that's completely ridiculous.  NFL GM's and coaches have one responsibility...win games. That's it.  If they don't win games, they don't keep their jobs. 

How many new GMs this year? Really I dont know, I sure did not hear about them. 

1. I know... you brought up the Patriots...

2.  So we went and signed a vet to take care of this... plus sign young talent.  Yet we still needed to spend our first round pick as well?

3. You seem to not understand what I mean.  Brown is a Tackle.  His play will not be predicated on how many times we put 4 receivers or how many times Luck throws the ball.  In fact he might be out there more if he is able to occupy multiple people on our interior line which didn't improve so he may be out there much more than what you are "conceiving".

4.  Lol... I have no reply because we fundamentally disagree.  As I've said I not only have my own logic but past experience with the EXACT SAME teams as my variables... 

5.  So the old excuse only works with Andre but not with an over 30 RB? lol ok.  I'd say from here on out lets agree to disagree because your logic can't even follow your own parameters.

As you like, sir. ;)

Basspapaw.....

We've gotten off on the wrong track....   and since you're new and I've been here three years,  I'll take responsibility.

My bad.    I'm sorry.    Hope you'll accept the sincere apology.    I'll try to do better.      

I'm sure I'll fall short from time to time,  but I'm sure you'll be there to remind me.     And that's OK.

It's the start of a new football year,  and so I'll try and be on my best behavior for as long as I can....

Bottom line is we all love our colts no matter what, but we are not always happy with  their decisions,   Nor do we have to agree, and its nice when your civil Thanks

Well,whether you liked the draft or hated it,it's over and done with,Time to move on and lets see how it plays out.I was as shocked as everyone when we drafted a WR in the first round,but,after reading and looking at his clips,kind of excited to see what he can do on the field.

In that statement lies the problem. One guy does not build a defense, neither does one guy build an offense unless he is the QB.

Playoff football lately has been more favorable to contact and less favorable to scoring in the 30s. We did not beat the Broncos 34-23. We beat them 24-13. The further you go into the playoffs, the trench play starts mattering more, especially if a dome team like us does not have home field advantage. Our playoff success will still boil down to opportunistic defense at the very least to minimize opponent scoring in the low 20s.

Dorsett may very well be like Marvin Harrison but coaches like Carroll and Belichick will find a way to neutralize him and T.Y., our D will still need to limit our opponents to give us a fighting chance in the playoffs.

with the offense this next season, I'm thinking  we will be the highest scoring team in the league  and  45 points or more per game.

This sounds good ,I agree with the what they want part but disagree as to what they needed ,  Could it be that they want high scoring games because it exciting and that is what people pay for, more so than winning? 

no, I just saying that if the colts can't stop the other teams from scoring the only other option is to simply outscore those teams.And thats still winning.

I want to know Colts Fan's thoughts on Grigson, I cannot make up my mind. One thing I know for sure is that if this years draft class doesn't pan out I will be hoping for his firing. 

Why not just hope that the draft class pans out?

with the offense this next season, I'm thinking  we will be the highest scoring team in the league  and  45 points or more per game.

Highest scoring offense in league history is the 2013 Pats, with 606 total points. For a team to score 45 points a game, they'd have to score a total of 720 points. That's another TD/game than the highest scoring offense in NFL history. 

Let me put this a different way: We aren't going to score anywhere close to 45 points a game. 

Highest scoring offense in league history is the 2013 Pats, with 606 total points. For a team to score 45 points a game, they'd have to score a total of 720 points. That's another TD/game than the highest scoring offense in NFL history. 

Let me put this a different way: We aren't going to score anywhere close to 45 points a game. 

I agree, But i do believe averaging 35/game is not out of the question.

I want to know Colts Fan's thoughts on Grigson, I cannot make up my mind. One thing I know for sure is that if this years draft class doesn't pan out I will be hoping for his firing. 

Why would he get fired ? I am sure he had Irsay's blessing on the Dorsett pick. I think Grigson found good value with the remaining picks, but trading up for Parry might have been reaching a bit.

You are correct but dont be alarmed when they start calling you names,   Thank You

You brought what ever upon yourself. It's not a very smart thing to say the Colts are not 100% into winning. I guessed they signed all those free agents to line up a losing roster? Yes I am afraid you do need the book "Football For Dummies".

You brought what ever upon yourself. It's not a very smart thing to say the Colts are not 100% into winning. I guessed they signed all those free agents to line up a losing roster? Yes I am afraid you do need the book "Football For Dummies" 

.You sir are not the be all and end all authority on football I opened a thread that might just explain some of the horrible moves the colts continue to make , my theory is basically, its more about the money than winning and if they happen to win thats a bonus, More points =more excitement not necessarily more wins, Why play trent, we could see he was bad, Controversy is the answer which equals more money,etc. I would welcome any thoughts (civil) You might have, although considering you continue to reference a book called football for dummies your views are probably in chapter one.

.You sir are not the be all and end all authority on football I opened a thread that might just explain some of the horrible moves the colts continue to make , my theory is basically, its more about the money than winning and if they happen to win thats a bonus, More points =more excitement not necessarily more wins, Why play trent, we could see he was bad, Controversy is the answer which equals more money,etc. I would welcome any thoughts (civil) You might have, although considering you continue to reference a book called football for dummies your views are probably in chapter one.

One massive chink in your theory and that's that winning puts butts in seats which in turn brings in money...Losing usually keeps butts out of seats which means losing money

One massive chink in your theory and that's that winning puts butts in seats which in turn brings in money...Losing usually keeps butts out of seats which means losing money

Not a chink I understand that, but buy not having to put out money to field a winning team but enough to field a high scoring team  makes them more.

" Losing usually keeps butts out of seats which means losing money"

Not when it exciting high scoring games I still watch.

In all honesty I hope they are trying to field a SB winning team I just dont get there train of thought.

Havent all the colts games been pretty much sold out? 

Not a chink I understand that, but buy not having to put out money to field a winning team but enough to field a high scoring team  makes them more.

In all honesty I hope they are trying to field a SB winning team I just dont get there train of thought.

Learn about the NFL salary cap and get back to us !!

what does the salary cap have to do with our first round pick? They have to pay a wr or a dlineman

So by your reasoning the Colts picking a WR over a defensive player shows that they are not wanting to win? There is such a thing as future. The pick was made for the future and winning in the future. The WR position is really not that strong even thought the Colts have many. Quality over quantity. Johnson may be in his last year, that remains to be seen. Carter has proved zero at this point. Swoop and Whalen are career back ups. If you honestly think that Irsay is not in 100% in winning maybe it's time you moved on to another team?

So by your reasoning the Colts picking a WR over a defensive player shows that they are not wanting to win? There is such a thing as future. The pick was made for the future and winning in the future. The WR position is really not that strong even thought the Colts have many. Quality over quantity. Johnson may be in his last year, that remains to be seen. Carter has proved zero at this point. Swoop and Whalen are career back ups. If you honestly think that Irsay is not in 100% in winning maybe it's time you moved on to another team?

Why pick up carter, johnson and draft a wr when we need line men ( i might add the best available in the draft)

How can you say swoop is a career back up when he has not been giving a chance?

If luck gets hurt(god forbid) because of inferior line men we will not fill the seats or win.

Any thoughts on why they played trent so long?

The fact that you say it's all about money. Have a little faith in the defensive players we drafted, they are good !

I dont doubt they are good, I hope they are great  I really hope they can get the job done,If not we are stuck with them because pags will play them even if they suck example TRENT

Why pick up carter, johnson and draft a wr when we need line men ( i might add the best available in the draft)

How can you say swoop is a career back up when he has not been giving a chance?

If luck gets hurt(god forbid) because of inferior line men we will not fill the seats or win.

Any thoughts on why they played trent so long?

Trent played so long because of injuries. Carter is a gamble that could have high rewards for very little money. Johnson is a no brainer and could very well be a great mentor to Carter and Dorsett. You are beating a dead horse with Richardson. When he was signed over 90% of all thought it was a good signing. The offensive line had a lot of injuries last season and that is why there were so many different starting lineups. Swoop has not shown the ability to take a starting or a back up roll.  Grigson has made a couple of o-line signings that should work out fine. This fantasy you have in your head about the Colts not wanting to win is just that, a fantasy.

I dont doubt they are good, I hope they are great  I really hope they can get the job done,If not we are stuck with them because pags will play them even if they suck example TRENT

Trent is old news to the Colts and most fans. You act like GMs hit on every pick or trade made and that is not the case. Your negativity is getting old and stale.

The Colt games struggled big time when they went 2-14. You could buy tickets for 1/4 of face value so your theory has no merit.

Trent played so long because of injuries. Carter is a gamble that could have high rewards for very little money. Johnson is a no brainer and could very well be a great mentor to Carter and Dorsett. You are beating a dead horse with Richardson. When he was signed over 90% of all thought it was a good signing. The offensive line had a lot of injuries last season and that is why there were so many different starting lineups. Swoop has not shown the ability to take a starting or a back up roll.  Grigson has made a couple of o-line signings that should work out fine. This fantasy you have in your head about the Colts not wanting to win is just that, a fantasy.

I like johnson and carter, we cant play all the talent we have at wr now. I liked trent when we signed him but it didnt take me but maybe a half dozen games to see he sucked,And there was other players that did a better job that were not hurt Im not the expert you are but ill bet you wanted boom to start.  Swoop is a good athlete just no experience  probably wont get a shot now

Learn about the NFL salary cap and get back to us !!

what does the salary cap have to do with our first round pick? They have to pay a wr or a dlineman

You said they're not putting out money to field a winning team...that they're only spending just enough to field a high scoring team. Hence the comment about the salary cap.  The salary cap is the money used to field a team. 

Congratulations!!

It's May 3 and YOU are the early leader for dumbest comment by a fan!!

And tell him what he's won, Johnny?!?!

Well,   Basspapaw has won a copy of "Football for Dummies!"  

I mean.....   seriously?

If these guys don't win they get FIRED!!

HELLO?!?!

Being in the FO is NOT a 40 hour a week job....    it's 24/7/365....   it's never ending.    And when a year is done,   they start all over again and go 24/7/365 again.     It never stops.    Winning is what drives them,  consumes them,   what they think about when they wake up and when they go to sleep.

It just stuns me when people actually write this.         :facepalm:

P.S. -- One last thought....   this isn't the first time he's said it,  but Irsay said it again this weekend.   That his goal is for the Colts to win at least TWO Super Bowl's during the Andrew Luck era.    Doesn't that sound like a front office that wants to win?!?!

It's May 11th now and I want to join the competition for the dumbest comment made...  I think Grigson should be fired!  I could do a much better job than him.  Heck give me a uniform and I'll suit up to show them how it's done.  I can play any position anytime!!

AJ is old and TY can use help. After those 2, we're unproven at WR. We need at least 2 (preferably 3-5) that can really play to give Luck the best chance to win. If we drafted a QB in round 1, your car battery argument might make more sense.

you act like our QB is RG3. You say he needs 3-5 good WRs we have Andrew Luck. We don't need all damn pro bowl weapons like everyone wants that's what killed us in the Manning era. Good luck fielding a D when we have to pay all these weapons.

This again leads me full circle to my initial point. It just feels like ANY other pick could have had a more efficient positive impact on the team. RB/OT/TE/DT/ILB/DB/OLB/G/C literally any of those spots but QB and WR would have had a better chance of improving our chances against the Patriots AND making us a more balanced team. O-Line help creates a running game meaning our receivers don't have numbers to go against. RB talent at least makes ONE LB have to shadow him. DT/OLB would have helped in keeping Brady in the pocket. ILB/S/C all could have helped in prolonging routes for pressure... ANYTHING could have helped... But another WR just leaves the same holes with the same problems, just we have a guy that gets to his spot faster, but it doesn't matter because Luck will be on his back or there is a LB in front and a Corner behind.

I'm gonna use all my likes on your posts!! haha

It just seems like the fo is not 100 percent interested in winning , Its not just the draft but the on field decisions , if the Horrible play calls continue andrew wont make it another year, If everyone knows your going to throw the ball it makes it a lot easier to defend. In the same instance they are predictable on run downs, The only difference is maybe gore gets 4.0 yards on first down instead of  just making it back to the line of scrimmage. I do think they improved some but not where it was needed most.

Yes, I'm sure that's it.  The owner, GM and coaching staff of an NFL franchise aren't 100 percent interested in winning.  They probably huddle during the off-season, under a banner that say's "Let's be mediocre next season!"

5. So the old excuse only works with Andre but not with an over 30 RB? lol ok. I'd say from here on out lets agree to disagree because your logic can't even follow your own parameters.

it works for every position but WR as far as I can tell I don't get it either. Everyone was ok with Dorsett cause Andre is old well what about the the whole half of our D that's nearly at 30 or over 30.

I always find it laughable when people try to judge a draft class when not a single one of them have played in an actual game yet. So please, don't come back and say the Colts should've traded up/down for a player or taken one over another until they've actually seen the field.

you act like our QB is RG3. You say he needs 3-5 good WRs we have Andrew Luck. We don't need all damn pro bowl weapons like everyone wants that's what killed us in the Manning era. Good luck fielding a D when we have to pay all these weapons.

Tyler Lockett is a better player than Dorsett and we could have gotten him in the 3rd. Man, what a terrible pick....