Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Clayton Geathers will be best Safety in 2015 class

Geathers is a solid SS for the UCF Knights and one of my favorite prospects in the entire draft.

His main concerns are being an overly aggressive tackler (strength as well) and change of direction. (All of which are coachable)

Pagano has done a great job bringing in good character guys to the Colts and coaching them up well.

Geathers teammates speak very highly of him as a leader and I would love to have him on the Colts

One of my favorite safeties in this draft as well. Really like his big hit ability, and the angles he takes in run support. His coverage ability kind of concerns me as I don't think he has tons of range, nor the speed to cover top TEs and RBs. I believe he has above average starting ability, but at the very least he will serve as a solid special teams ace IMO.

Geathers is a solid SS for the UCF Knights and one of my favorite prospects in the entire draft.

His main concerns are being an overly aggressive tackler (strength as well) and change of direction. (All of which are coachable)

Pagano has done a great job bringing in good character guys to the Colts and coaching them up well.

Geathers teammates speak very highly of him as a leader and I would love to have him on the Colts

i agree that he can be over-aggresive but what do you mean by "change of direction" like turning to cover a receiver running a specific route or just turning and body movement in general? just for clarification

I also think we still need two safeties. I'd like Tartt in the third if he's available but if not maybe pick up Amos in the 3rd or 4th and Geathers in the 4th or 5th. Not sure where they'd be best drafted, we might have to reach a little to get them.

Extremely Unlikely actually.

Why do we want to take 2 S's in what has been described as a very poor draft for S's? We have other needs and there is a lot of talent at positions that we need help at like CB, LB, DL. RB, WR, OL.

I am for taking the BPA if that happens to be a S twice then I guess it is what it is. I just have a hard time seeing that happening. We need playmakers and talent. It is not wise to draft out need IMO.

Why do we want to take 2 S's in what has been described as a very poor draft for S's? We have other needs and there is a lot of talent at positions that we need help at like CB, LB, DL. RB, WR, OL.

I am for taking the BPA if that happens to be a S twice then I guess it is what it is. I just have a hard time seeing that happening. We need playmakers and talent. It is not wise to draft out need IMO.

Because we need both depth and starting talent at safety (less so after the Lowery signing, but still).  Even after we draft one safety, I would still have another safety as a higher need than WR, ILB, OLB, and CB.  I want to draft one safety that will start this year and one that will grow into a good starter for next year.

Safeties are also typically good at special teams.

And I don't think this draft is poor for safeties at all.  It is a little thin at first-round talent, but it is well-stocked with mid and late round prospects.

Because we need both depth and starting talent at safety (less so after the Lowery signing, but still).  Even after we draft one safety, I would still have another safety as a higher need than WR, ILB, OLB, and CB.  I want to draft one safety that will start this year and one that will grow into a good starter for next year.

Safeties are also typically good at special teams.

And I don't think this draft is poor for safeties at all.  It is a little thin at first-round talent, but it is well-stocked with mid and late round prospects.

I highly doubt that any safety we draft starts this year.

• 4 weeks later...

One of my favorite safeties in this draft as well. Really like his big hit ability, and the angles he takes in run support. His coverage ability kind of concerns me as I don't think he has tons of range, nor the speed to cover top TEs and RBs. I believe he has above average starting ability, but at the very least he will serve as a solid special teams ace IMO.

Hmmm! Because he is not the interchangeable coverage type safety, i think that makes him a below average type guy.

Hmmm! Because he is not the interchangeable coverage type safety, i think that makes him a below average type guy.

He interchanged between SS and FS at UCF so he has experience playing both positions. He is definitely a better run defender than a coverage safety, but he isn't terrible in coverage either.

Would you have posted this same thread " Will be the best safety in this years class " if we would have drafted Randall or Amos? LOL

He posted this back on April 5, well before we had any idea Colts would draft him....

Most of us had different mocks with all top 15 or so safeties. I just know he was very high on Randall saying he was the best safety in the draft. And he wanted Amos with this pick... No big deal just saying :)

I wanted Tartt, Amos, Geathers, and Sample depending on value so I guess I wanted this before I knew he would be a Colt also along with a few more choices obviously.

I'm just glad we got a safety!

These two guys watch tape on Damarious Randall and our very own Clayton Geathers, they finish watching tape around 1 hour and 9 minutes into the video and give their overall opinion in regards to this years safety class.

Spoiler - They have great things to say. 

Check it out, for those who would like to watch tape and get commentary on these two guys.

So how is Geathers different in his skill set compared to Landon Collins? Oh yeah ... Collins' skill set could have cost us a first or high second round pick!

And Randall WAS a first round pick.

Bottom line: Geathers can be a STEAL in this draft.

At the media press conference after the draft,  Pagano made it very clear that as much as they like Geathers,  he's very, very raw.

Very raw.

They think he's got a high ceiling and that he's not anywhere close to it.    Which, from a coaching/scouting standpoint is good news if you think you've got a coaching staff that can really improve your players.  (Some staffs are better than others in this way....)

So,  I'm not expecting much from Geathers his first year.    The bar for me is set very low.    If he performs better than expected -- great for the Colts!    But,  I wouldn't count on him much.

He's a diamond in the rough....  and he needs a lot of polishing and that just takes time....

At the media press conference after the draft,  Pagano made it very clear that as much as they like Geathers,  he's very, very raw.

Very raw.

They think he's got a high ceiling and that he's not anywhere close to it.    Which, from a coaching/scouting standpoint is good news if you think you've got a coaching staff that can really improve your players.  (Some staffs are better than others in this way....)

So,  I'm not expecting much from Geathers his first year.    The bar for me is set very low.    If he performs better than expected -- great for the Colts!    But,  I wouldn't count on him much.

He's a diamond in the rough....  and he needs a lot of polishing and that just takes time....

Even though you don't expect much from him.  Do you think he can crack our starter spot?  I mean he has a whole bunch of talent and he is actually a better cover/center fielder kind of guy than i thought he was.

Even though you don't expect much from him.  Do you think he can crack our starter spot?  I mean he has a whole bunch of talent and he is actually a better cover/center fielder kind of guy than i thought he was.

I think he'll be the starter eventually,  I just wouldn't think of it happening in his rookie year.

I would think 2016 would be about right....    that would be my hope at least....    if I'm wrong -- an I often am -- and it's sooner,  then great!    Sooner would be better if we think he's ready to go in 2015.  

But optimism in the Spring often gives way to reality in the Fall.    Pagano was surprisingly blunt about how raw Geathers is...  so I'm expecting him next year.

Unless the colts are planning on playing d'joun smith at FS, our safeties will be pretty weak this year. I don't see geathers as being ready at SS until year 2.

Yeah it's Not going to be the strong suit of this defense but I think it will be at least about as good as last year. With the better pass rush, the safety play may even look better.