Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reasons to buy the Rivers to tennesee idea

12isthenew18

Cost?

Titans send 2nd pick for rivers (33 years)and 17th pick

Win-Win?

In my opinion yes.

Win for Mariota: Yes

He has claimed to want to be on the west coast and would be closer to home.

He gets a good target in gates to grow around and learn

Win for rivers: Yes

He grew up around an hour from titans country.

His family lives near tennesee and he spend his offseason near there

He gets to reunite with his former Offensive Coordinator where he played some of his best football under (comeback player of the year)

Win for San diego: Yes

The chargers owners want to move. Well if they do they lose rivers and gates anyways. So why not get your new face (mariota) and make him the face of your new location. ( if it happens to move to oregon the better)

They have a marketable player in their new relocated franchise in mariota. 

Chargers get to finally rebuild because they won't go anywhere with rivers mainly because there roster isn't very good.

Chargers get top pick for the future by being a rebulding team so acquiring top players for the future

Win for tennesee: YES

Loss for colts yes

Rivers is instantly marketable.

He makes them a .500 team

He makes the division more competitive and could have them with some roster building competing for playoff spots.

Titans have someone not to waste walker's and wright's talent and could mentor his team on a team with no face unless jurrell casey counts

Finally, If this happens afc south becomes top division with Texans instantly competing until week 17 for playoffs, we have Luck and are already a top 6 team (i'd argue top 4), Jags have bortles and with a few more years could be a great team and back to the keenan mccardell, mark brunell and jimmy smith days

The move definitely makes sense for Rivers and the others involved but I understand that the Chargers don't want to part ways with him and I don't think he would have a problem staying with SD if they, too, stayed in SD; he doesn't want to go to LA. 

Tennessee gets a QB that can mentor Mettenberger or whoever else they bring in.  

Tennessee still goes 6-10 with him or without.

Chargers can't even win 10 games with Rivers. I gave up on them years ago. They're always the most overrated team in the AFC, cause they'll win a few games, get hyped up, and then lose badly to Miami or Denver or Kansas City. 

Good reasons, and I could see it happening. I still don't think it is likely, though. Rivers is one of those elite players that you don't see get traded very often. He still has some good years left in him, but I do like your new location, new face of the franchise angle.

I have not even heard of this trade rumor anywhere but this particular forum. But I don't look around much anymore either.

BTW why would this make sense for Rivers? The Titans ARE AWFUL. Bad. You guys watch them last year? They are beyond bad. So again why does this make sense for a now aging Rivers?

BTW people overrate Rivers too IMO.  

I have not even heard of this trade rumor anywhere but this particular forum. But I don't look around much anymore either.

BTW why would this make sense for Rivers? The Titans ARE AWFUL. Bad. You guys watch them last year? They are beyond bad. So again why does this make sense for a now aging Rivers?

rivers is great but surrounded by horse dump except when he had LT and prime gates. Titans is his hometown team. Local to him. Also this rumors been out for weeks

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/05/talk-in-tennessee-of-titans-making-a-run-at-rivers/

Completely speculative, but it didn't originate here.

It doesn't matter whether or not it makes sense for Rivers.  It's a trade, not a free agent signing.  The team will do what is best for the team, not what's best for Rivers.

I hope this doesn't happen. I can't stand Crybaby Rivers ever since he was screaming at the crowd back in the RCA Dome. If I have to see his face twice a year playing the Titans, that will be two too many. 

On the plus side if it happened, we could finally get revenge on the guy.

Since even if he is good enough as a QB, his team in TN would be pretty crappy around him.

This isn't to me like when Manning went to Denver. Denver already could win games with Tebow for crying out loud.

On the plus side if it happened, we could finally get revenge on the guy.

Since even if he is good enough as a QB, his team in TN would be pretty crappy around him.

This isn't to me like when Manning went to Denver. Denver already could win games with Tebow for crying out loud.

I disagree. Rivers to TN would be a good get. He worked really well with Whisenhunt (who went to the Super Bowl with a weak team around a dynamic QB). The Titans have some talent. Rivers would be throwing to Delanie Walker, who always goes off on us. There are lots of receivers available, including in the draft. Their defense has some playmakers, starting with Jurell Casey.

It's not like Manning to Denver, because Manning is better, and the Broncos had some dynamic receivers waiting for a good QB to sling it to them. But I think the Titans would be a LOT better, and if things fell the right way for them, they could challenge for a playoff spot. Go back and look at the 2013 Chargers who won a playoff game; they weren't anything special either. And look at Rivers in the first half of 2014, when he was playing at an MVP level.

All that said, I don't think this trade happens.

I disagree. Rivers to TN would be a good get. He worked really well with Whisenhunt (who went to the Super Bowl with a weak team around a dynamic QB). The Titans have some talent. Rivers would be throwing to Delanie Walker, who always goes off on us. There are lots of receivers available, including in the draft. Their defense has some playmakers, starting with Jurell Casey.

It's not like Manning to Denver, because Manning is better, and the Broncos had some dynamic receivers waiting for a good QB to sling it to them. But I think the Titans would be a LOT better, and if things fell the right way for them, they could challenge for a playoff spot. Go back and look at the 2013 Chargers who won a playoff game; they weren't anything special either. And look at Rivers in the first half of 2014, when he was playing at an MVP level.

All that said, I don't think this trade happens.

The Titans could improve if this deal happened. I won't say they can't. Since they were IMO probably the worst overall team in the league last year for the most part so improvement HAS to happen. It's only natural. 

But, in terms of the playoffs......not feeling it. Rivers or no Rivers.

I still think Houston is sadly the second best. They at least have a defense at times.

Like you though, I don't think this trade happens. If it does well then at least we get more practice against a legit QB so maybe that can't hurt considering our defensive woes.

The Titans could improve if this deal happened. I won't say they can't. Since they were IMO probably the worst overall team in the league last year for the most part so improvement HAS to happen. It's only natural. 

But, in terms of the playoffs......not feeling it. Rivers or no Rivers.

I still think Houston is sadly the second best. They at least have a defense at times.

Like you though, I don't think this trade happens. If it does well then at least we get more practice against a legit QB so maybe that can't hurt considering our defensive woes.

I think they've had a strong offseason, and there's still the draft, which has a ton of WRs and RBs, where they're weakest. They hired Dick LeBeau to run the defense, they signed Orakpo (who is perfect for LeBeau's defense, IMO), signed Searcy (who I wanted us to sign), and they hardly lost anyone who was any good.They could use a couple OL, also.

I think they could challenge Houston for #2 in the division, and be a tough matchup for us, if they had Rivers.

I think they've had a strong offseason, and there's still the draft, which has a ton of WRs and RBs, where they're weakest. They hired Dick LeBeau to run the defense, they signed Orakpo (who is perfect for LeBeau's defense, IMO), signed Searcy (who I wanted us to sign), and they hardly lost anyone who was any good.They could use a couple OL, also.

I think they could challenge Houston for #2 in the division, and be a tough matchup for us, if they had Rivers.

You could be right. Titans with Rivers (in the long shot chance this happens) could be ahead of the Texans.

Of course right now outside of Luck the QB situation in the AFC South is......abysmal. 

You could be right. Titans with Rivers (in the long shot chance this happens) could be ahead of the Texans.

Of course right now outside of Luck the QB situation in the AFC South is......abysmal. 

Yup. I'm sure most would agree that Rivers would easily be the second best QB in the division. If you just took his first six weeks in 2014, he'd compete with Luck for the top spot. He was 69%, on pace for 4,700 yards and 40 TDs / 5 INTs, and they Chargers were 5-1.

Yup. I'm sure most would agree that Rivers would easily be the second best QB in the division. If you just took his first six weeks in 2014, he'd compete with Luck for the top spot. He was 69%, on pace for 4,700 yards and 40 TDs / 5 INTs, and they Chargers were 5-1.

Had he not been seriously injured (several of them that he played through) and had we not had the strangest injury year I've ever seen it could have been "the" year for Rivers and the Chargers.  

I do not believe the trade rumors.  I also believe Rivers wants to finish his career in San Diego if they are working to have a contending team around him.  He's a competitor and wants to win more than anything.  

Does anyone have insight on Tennessee's receiving corps? 

I do not watch the Titans at all so I have no idea what they are made of, and if Rivers would have decent weapons to aim at. I've watched Brees for years make magic wonders occur with our B and C grade receivers, so I can't say it's impossible to rack up numbers and make a decent run without all stars to throw to, but I'd like to know who Tennessee has. 

Does anyone have insight on Tennessee's receiving corps? 

I do not watch the Titans at all so I have no idea what they are made of, and if Rivers would have decent weapons to aim at. I've watched Brees for years make magic wonders occur with our B and C grade receivers, so I can't say it's impossible to rack up numbers and make a decent run without all stars to throw to, but I'd like to know who Tennessee has. 

Delanie Walker is their best receiver, he's a TE. That's probably all I need to say... but they have two young guys that are talented, but nothing special, Justin Hunter and Kendall Wright. Wright had 94 catches in 2013. 

And it would be easy to get a WR in this year's draft.

Tennessee is looking bad on the defensive side but, with Rivers... I think Walker, Wright, and Hunter would be a good combo. Will it happen, probably not but, I would be concerned with him being in our division.

I don't understand the Rivers being unhappy to move to LA thing. He doesn't want to go to LA, but he'll want to get traded to Tennessee?

He doesn't have a no-trade clause does he? It would probably hurt his trade value, but it's probably better than nothing.

https://twitter.com/ESPNcer/status/585889529996910592

I don't understand the Rivers being unhappy to move to LA thing. He doesn't want to go to LA, but he'll want to get traded to Tennessee?

He's from an area in Alabama an hour and a half or so from Nashville.  When I hit my late thirties, I wanted to be back near my home as well.  Home, familiarity, family, etc.  

I think he'd want to go as long as his expectations are low and he doesn't expect to win a SB next year.  If he's got five more years left in the tank, it might not be a bad move for him if he'd like a place to play football and chill out until he retires.  If he wants to win a ring right now (as most do), Nashville isn't the place for him.  

He's from an area in Alabama an hour and a half or so from Nashville.  When I hit my late thirties, I wanted to be back near my home as well.  Home, familiarity, family, etc.  

I think he'd want to go as long as his expectations are low and he doesn't expect to win a SB next year.  If he's got five more years left in the tank, it might not be a bad move for him if he'd like a place to play football and chill out until he retires.  If he wants to win a ring right now (as most do), Nashville isn't the place for him.  

Great points. I didn't realize how close he lived to TN. Plus, I think with him on the team the Titans are a contender and could for sure win a SB in the next five years if they make the right moves to improve the team around him.

Great points. I didn't realize how close he lived to TN. Plus, I think with him on the team the Titans are a contender and could for sure win a SB in the next five years if they make the right moves to improve the team around him.

I checked it...Two hours.  You could be there by breakfast if you got up early enough.  Rivers is still good, though it was evident that he was hurt last year.  I couldn't stand him at first but I'm getting to like the guy (truth be told I don't totally hate Tom Brady either).  He plays hard and is extremely competitive.  They've been working on O-line a lot but progress is slow.

Hate is a huge word that is very much overplayed by people when they really don't mean it. I do not hate Philip (use one "l" for a reason) Rivers. I do not hate Tom Brady. However, I can say that the both of them at times are arrogant, cocky, and most unprofessional on the field of play. Brady's smirks, un-leveled smiles, boisterously loud commands to players making mistakes, and overall higher than thou demeanor .... coupled with Philip Rivers definitive verbatim attributes .... I really "DISLIKE" them both! Hate, no. Dislike, a big Y-E-S !

ONE

So what would the trade be? If there is truth to this you can't guarantee that Mariota will fall to their pick. There are teams like the Redskins, Browns, Bears, and Jets in front of them to name a few. It would have to be a pick swap and Rivers.

Chargers get the Titans 2nd overall pick and the Titans get Rivers and the Chargers 17th overall pick. I can't see how it works if both teams don't end up with a 1st. There's no way Tennessee completely drops out of the 1st just for Rivers.

The Titans won't win a Super Bowl in the next 5 years with anyone at QB.

This is like the old days here with Luck like it was with Manning. It's not even arrogant to say it since it's the truth. The division is ours for a long time. 

The Titans won't win a Super Bowl in the next 5 years with anyone at QB.

This is like the old days here with Luck like it was with Manning. It's not even arrogant to say it since it's the truth. The division is ours for a long time. 

QB is the most critical position and Rivers has been one of the top QBs in the league so it improves their chances dramatically. I do agree that the division is the Colts for the foreseeable future but depending on the pieces the Titans put around Rivers could make the South interesting.

No one thought much of Seattle a few years ago until Carroll and Wilson showed up so anything is possible.

I have been reading every article I can get my hands on about this possibility - a really miserable way to spend the off-season I might add...

I'm no GM, but could not see how this really helps either team mentioned or Rivers other than being closer to home.  This morning this analysis article was posted and I think Adam Schein gets it just about right:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000485703/article/philip-rivers-to-tennessee-titans-gms-debunk-senseless-rumor

The most important thing for SD to do is show Rivers they're serious about surrounding him with top notch talent to make a run at the Lombardi and that they're serious about working toward a SD stadium if there's a possibility it can be done.