Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reasons to buy the Rivers to tennesee idea

12isthenew18

I have been reading every article I can get my hands on about this possibility - a really miserable way to spend the off-season I might add...

I'm no GM, but could not see how this really helps either team mentioned or Rivers other than being closer to home.  This morning this analysis article was posted and I think Adam Schein gets it just about right:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000485703/article/philip-rivers-to-tennessee-titans-gms-debunk-senseless-rumor

The most important thing for SD to do is show Rivers they're serious about surrounding him with top notch talent to make a run at the Lombardi and that they're serious about working toward a SD stadium if there's a possibility it can be done.  

Personally GAFT, I think Philip Rivers isn't going anywhere. Like your link indicated, you don't trade a proven QB for an unproven one. 

I like Philip Rivers. I don't know why some of my friends are dis-ing him. I have no problem with a difference of opinion on quarterbacks, but Philip is no cry baby. He's tough, seasoned, & I consider him elite. 

I understand why a lot of Colt's fans aren't fans - when Rivers headed into the locker room in our playoff game at Indy, people thought he was cursing at the fans because of his intensity.  They didn't know the kind of man he is.  He was young and unknown and almost any other player would have been saying what the fans thought he was saying.  

It's been so long I don't remember the exact quote, but if I remember right it was, "Don't worry I'll be back!"  or something along that line, with a smile on his face.  There are people here who swear he used the F word at the fans and they "heard it with their own ears."  Except he never, ever, ever cusses so the closest it might have been was "Fudge!"  However, he's learned from that and the incident with Cutler (at the time everyone thought it was Rivers instigating but time has shown pretty clearly who the player with poor character actually was).

He's a scrapper.  He's a fighter.  He's protective of his players, especially receivers that are being held or defenseless so he'll argue with the refs to make them pay attention on the next play.  He's a leader.  But for all of that, he's just a big kid who loves the game and plays like it.  He started as a line-backer so he talks "trash," it's just the cleanest trash you've ever heard in pro-sports, LOL!  

When he has a bad year or a bad game - there's pretty much always a reason for it and pretty much it isn't wearing a #17.  However, you'll never hear him complain or throw his line under the bus.  I think his saying publicly that he won't just sign his contract is more about seeing how serious the Chargers are about getting him protection so he can have the kind of year he knows he can have.  The stats from the first 6 games of 2014 were utterly amazing... until he was hit too many times, lost his top 3 running backs, a couple of what would eventually be 4 centers, a couple OL men and suffered a couple serious injuries himself.

I love the guy as a man, a leader and as our qb.  I trust he'll not only be with us until he retires but he'll lead us to the Lombardi before he's done.  I refuse to even contemplate any other outcome  :thmup:

I understand why a lot of Colt's fans aren't fans - when Rivers headed into the locker room in our playoff game at Indy, people thought he was cursing at the fans because of his intensity.  They didn't know the kind of man he is.  He was young and unknown and almost any other player would have been saying what the fans thought he was saying.  

It's been so long I don't remember the exact quote, but if I remember right it was, "Don't worry I'll be back!"  or something along that line, with a smile on his face.  There are people here who swear he used the F word at the fans and they "heard it with their own ears."  Except he never, ever, ever cusses so the closest it might have been was "Fudge!"  However, he's learned from that and the incident with Cutler (at the time everyone thought it was Rivers instigating but time has shown pretty clearly who the player with poor character actually was).

He's a scrapper.  He's a fighter.  He's protective of his players, especially receivers that are being held or defenseless so he'll argue with the refs to make them pay attention on the next play.  He's a leader.  But for all of that, he's just a big kid who loves the game and plays like it.  He started as a line-backer so he talks "trash," it's just the cleanest trash you've ever heard in pro-sports, LOL!  

When he has a bad year or a bad game - there's pretty much always a reason for it and pretty much it isn't wearing a #17.  However, you'll never hear him complain or throw his line under the bus.  I think his saying publicly that he won't just sign his contract is more about seeing how serious the Chargers are about getting him protection so he can have the kind of year he knows he can have.  The stats from the first 6 games of 2014 were utterly amazing... until he was hit too many times, lost his top 3 running backs, a couple of what would eventually be 4 centers, a couple OL men and suffered a couple serious injuries himself.

I love the guy as a man, a leader and as our qb.  I trust he'll not only be with us until he retires but he'll lead us to the Lombardi before he's done.  I refuse to even contemplate any other outcome  :thmup:

Nice post here GAFT. You know Philip better than I do & a scrapper is a good word to describe Rivers. He always is very complementary of his peers, his QB contemporaries, & the only tongue lashing I've ever seen him engage in is with QB Jay Cutler. If you say he seldom swears or never curses, I believe you. 

I just like Philip because he's all business on the field, a devoted family man & father, & he can beat any team with the ball in his hands & he never whines about being sacked ever. 

As long as Philip doesn't beat Andrew Luck on his quest to win his 1st ring, I'm cool with it. I'd like to see Rivers get a ring. He's definitely got all the necessary tools to pull it off. 

Man, Phillip was good at making mince meat of the Colts. That's not a slam against our defense or Peyton Manning BTW just that Rivers can figure out quickly what is being done to neutralize him & counteract it swiftly. 

Chargers get the Titans 2nd overall pick and the Titans get Rivers and the Chargers 17th overall pick. I can't see how it works if both teams don't end up with a 1st. There's no way Tennessee completely drops out of the 1st just for Rivers.

That's along the lines of what I'm thinking.

How does it make any sense for the Titans to take a 33-year-old Phillip Rivers when they could just use that 2nd pick themselves and take what could become their franchise QB of the future?

Not to interfere here with the Philip Rivers love. The guy flipped all of us fans off, (you know, with your middle finger stuck waaaay up in the air) after a playoff game in our own house. Forgive? Yeah, I've done that. Forget? Never! He has never apologized to the Colts fan base as far as I know to this day. Until he does, he gets NO respect from this Colts fan. Don't wanna hear the "young" argument. All of my family under the age of 10 know the difference between right and wrong where this is concerned.

Grrrrr! I can still see him waving that proverbial finger at ME!

Look, I don't care if you do or don't love Rivers.  It really doesn't matter why we do or don't like a particular player, but it just didn't happen.  A Colts fan flipped him off and he said, "I'll be back"  Go find the video or a photo.  He was followed by the cameras all the way to the locker room.  And believe me if it did happen like you think it did, the photos would be everywhere and I'm not the kind of person who would brush it off.  

Look, I don't care if you do or don't love Rivers.  It really doesn't matter why we do or don't like a particular player, but it just didn't happen.  A Colts fan flipped him off and he said, "I'll be back"  Go find the video or a photo.  He was followed by the cameras all the way to the locker room.  And believe me if it did happen like you think it did, the photos would be everywhere and I'm not the kind of person who would brush it off.  

How do you feel about him going to TN? Apparently he has said he does not want to stay in SD. Will you still follow/root for him?

I have been reading every article I can get my hands on about this possibility - a really miserable way to spend the off-season I might add...

I'm no GM, but could not see how this really helps either team mentioned or Rivers other than being closer to home.  This morning this analysis article was posted and I think Adam Schein gets it just about right:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000485703/article/philip-rivers-to-tennessee-titans-gms-debunk-senseless-rumor

The most important thing for SD to do is show Rivers they're serious about surrounding him with top notch talent to make a run at the Lombardi and that they're serious about working toward a SD stadium if there's a possibility it can be done.  

I can see how it helps the Titans but I just don't see the Chargers being willing to risk it all for a rookie QB.  The only reason I could see that is that they really are planning a move to LA, know Rivers won't re-sign with them and want to get something for him before he becomes a FA.  

sports.espn.go.com - Rivers Outgrowing Brash Reputation - excerpt - "What started as innocent banter between those two fans and the quarterback eventually led Rivers to basically taunting an entire stadium after the Chargers AFC Divisional Playoff win that day."

Phillip Rivers Gives the Jets The Middle Finger!!! - You Tube

How do you feel about him going to TN? Apparently he has said he does not want to stay in SD. Will you still follow/root for him?

He NEVER said he didn't want to stay in San Diego.  In fact he wants the team to stay in San Diego and would like to finish out his career there.  What he doesn't want to do is have the team move to LA.  Believe me there is more than an hour an a half's drive that separates life lived in San Diego or LA.  He has 7 kids and Compton (where the Chargers own property) is not a place you want to raise your kids.  He's the first in in the morning and the last to leave at night, but that's not so bad without a commute. Add an hours' drive to get to somewhere you would want to raise your kids and you don't see your family at all.

Like many Colts' fans with Manning, I'll be a fan for life - but my team is and always has been the Chargers.

sports.espn.go.com - Rivers Outgrowing Brash Reputation - excerpt - "What started as innocent banter between those two fans and the quarterback eventually led Rivers to basically taunting an entire stadium after the Chargers AFC Divisional Playoff win that day."

Phillip Rivers Gives the Jets The Middle Finger!!! - You Tube

What is said in the press does not equal the truth.  The Jets footage is laughable, a middle finger extended in natural movement does not equal flipping someone off.  Just like him kicking the ball at Arrowhead stadium looked like a temper tantrum but it wasn't - one of our players had been seriously hurt after the whistle was blown in an earlier game.  That happened because the ball was reachable and people didn't stop playing.  So Rivers kicked (and still will kick) any ball out of the area of play to protect his team mates.

Now... I don't and never have, condoned his getting into it with the fans - that was young and foolish.  He brought the criticism on himself because of it.  But what was said was innocent stuff - no cuss words - nothing nasty. He's a family man and has never said anything on or off the field that he wouldn't want his own children to hear at a game.  

It isn't "normal" behavior to have someone say "golly gosh,"  "drats" and "shoot!" but that's the ONLY kinds of things that Rivers says.  The worst that's ever been heard to come out of his mouth was "crap."  When we beat the Raiders a couple years ago to knock them out of potential to make the playoffs on the last day, he walked off the field saying, "Now there boys, is a great rear-end whooping," or similar.

PS I won't likely be back on the board until Tuesday - I have commitments that will keep me from the internet.  So I'll read responses then.  

What is said in the press does not equal the truth.  The Jets footage is laughable, a middle finger extended in natural movement does not equal flipping someone off.  Just like him kicking the ball at Arrowhead stadium looked like a temper tantrum but it wasn't - one of our players had been seriously hurt after the whistle was blown in an earlier game.  That happened because the ball was reachable and people didn't stop playing.  So Rivers kicked (and still will kick) any ball out of the area of play to protect his team mates.

Now... I don't and never have, condoned his getting into it with the fans - that was young and foolish.  He brought the criticism on himself because of it.  But what was said was innocent stuff - no cuss words - nothing nasty. He's a family man and has never said anything on or off the field that he wouldn't want his own children to hear at a game.  

It isn't "normal" behavior to have someone say "golly gosh,"  "drats" and "shoot!" but that's the ONLY kinds of things that Rivers says.  The worst that's ever been heard to come out of his mouth was "crap."  When we beat the Raiders a couple years ago to knock them out of potential to make the playoffs on the last day, he walked off the field saying, "Now there boys, is a great rear-end whooping," or similar.

PS I won't likely be back on the board until Tuesday - I have commitments that will keep me from the internet.  So I'll read responses then.

I never said he cussed, Girlzarefanstoo. Simply saw Rivers giving Colts Fans the birdie. Just because there is no photo or clip (which I cannot find) does not mean it didn't happen. I know what I saw. It's your purgatorial opinion to call me a liar. I cannot change that. I'm sure Philip Rivers is a changed man in the present. It's what he went through to arrive at that status from a perception of his own mind and probably others from a influential standpoint. I don't know. He has never apologized as my memory serves. If you can find that, I'll be okay with him. Really. I'm open to all evidence and points of view regarding that.

That's along the lines of what I'm thinking.

How does it make any sense for the Titans to take a 33-year-old Phillip Rivers when they could just use that 2nd pick themselves and take what could become their franchise QB of the future?

Because they have Mettenberger who could learn behind Rivers for a few seasons.

He NEVER said he didn't want to stay in San Diego.  In fact he wants the team to stay in San Diego and would like to finish out his career there.  What he doesn't want to do is have the team move to LA.  Believe me there is more than an hour an a half's drive that separates life lived in San Diego or LA.  He has 7 kids and Compton (where the Chargers own property) is not a place you want to raise your kids.  He's the first in in the morning and the last to leave at night, but that's not so bad without a commute. Add an hours' drive to get to somewhere you would want to raise your kids and you don't see your family at all.

Like many Colts' fans with Manning, I'll be a fan for life - but my team is and always has been the Chargers.

Is it certain that the Chargers will move to LA? I thought there were a few teams that might go there.

Chargers aren't giving up Phillip. Stupid click bait article written so they could then a week later write yet another article about why the first article is rediculous to even speculate! I get why Rivers wouldn't want to move his family to LA...heck I would quit too before moving there. That said they will franchise tag him if needs be so he isn't going anywhere. Besides a new stadium isn't ready to play in and likely take a couple years if they decide to go...by then Rivers is almost retired...or maybe just a season. I don't get it honestly. Tennessee wouldn't even be a playoff team WITH Rivers so they have no motivation to do this. They need to build the team right. SD IS a playoff team and would then NOT be one with Mariota. Honestly I see Rivers playing a few more years and retiring IF the team even moves. Guy has family first all over him. While he loves the game I don't see him trying to extend his career at the expense of his family regardless.

Is it certain that the Chargers will move to LA? I thought there were a few teams that might go there.

No, it's not certain, however they are free to leave their contract at the San Diego stadium that is ancient and a pit.  San Diego is hurting financially and so far hasn't approved a new stadium or even a stadium plan.  The Chargers would prefer to stay in sd w a new stadium p;an, but are running out of time.  

The Chargers bought land in Compton (LA area) with the Raiders and are proposing a dual use stadium, the Raiders would move to the NFC is my understanding.  

The Rams also are interested in moving back to LA.  Which team(s) make the move is still unknown.  

Folks..It does not make sense to trade your healthy and effective QB on the off chance that you'll be moving the franchised In a year.

That's not sound thinking.

Let him play out 2015 and address the situation next off-season...

If he leaves before or after the 2015 season, you're in the same situation (rebuilding your offense) anyway.

How stupid would it feel to trade Rivers, draft a rookie QB, and then not be able to move the franchise?

Play out 2015..and see what happens

Folks..It does not make sense to trade your healthy and effective QB on the off chance that you'll be moving the franchised In a year.

That's not sound thinking.

Let him play out 2015 and address the situation next off-season...

If he leaves before or after the 2015 season, you're in the same situation (rebuilding your offense) anyway.

How stupid would it feel to trade Rivers, draft a rookie QB, and then not be able to move the franchise?

Play out 2015..and see what happens

The "off-chance" comment is from the outside looking in.

Don't you think that inside the walls of the Chargers head-quarters where the owner and the GM and the HC hang-out they know just a little bit more than what is publicly known?

Isn't that reasonable to assume?

Put another way....    why would Phillips Rivers force his way off a play-off caliber team to another team that doesn't look anything like a playoff-caliber team unless he was being told LA is a very real possibility?

The "off-chance" comment is from the outside looking in.

Don't you think that inside the walls of the Chargers head-quarters where the owner and the GM and the HC hang-out they know just a little bit more than what is publicly known?

Isn't that reasonable to assume?

Put another way....    why would Phillips Rivers force his way off a play-off caliber team to another team that doesn't look anything like a playoff-caliber team unless he was being told LA is a very real possibility?

I said in another thread, I think the Chargers are gone. I think they believe the impact of any LA team is going to severely undercut their market in San Diego, so if the Rams come to LA -- which seems like a foregone conclusion -- the Chargers will be leaving. 

As for Rivers, if he really doesn't want to be part of an LA franchise just because it's in LA, I think he's a little ridiculous. The demographics in LA aren't that much different than San Diego. And if he did still want that San Diego vibe, he can fine a place in South OC. Seems like a silly reason to try to force your way off a team. He'd rather move his family to Tennessee than two hours away to LA? 

Idk why I'm typing this now but I still maintain that River's deep throw on the last drive of the first Broncos game was the correct throw. They weren't going to catch the Broncos with those shorts throws. That's why the Broncos were giving them away! Even if they would have plodded in for points 40 years later, they still would have had to force a 3 and out which they hadn't done since a couple of expendable series in the first half, then score again.

I can see how it helps the Titans but I just don't see the Chargers being willing to risk it all for a rookie QB.  The only reason I could see that is that they really are planning a move to LA, know Rivers won't re-sign with them and want to get something for him before he becomes a FA.  

In the big picture, I don't see it helping the Titans either.  They would have to spill 20+ million a year on their QB and put protection and pieces around him.  I think Mettenberger deserves a chance to be their QB.  Zach fell all the way to round 6 (much like I hope Mannion falls to round 5 or 6 so WE can take him as our backup of the future!) but was projected round 3 by many on talent.  A couple even projected round 2.  But his off field issues (sexual battery, recreational substance abuse, etc...) plus injuries set him way back on teams boards.  But he is older, more mature and cleaned up and ready to fine tune the talent he has possessed. 

I see Rivers in a Chargers Uni and SD using the Exclusive Franchise tag until they no longer can place it on him.  But by then Rivers and his agent could be so indignant, they leave the Bolts with nothing afterward.

• 3 weeks later...

I said in another thread, I think the Chargers are gone. I think they believe the impact of any LA team is going to severely undercut their market in San Diego, so if the Rams come to LA -- which seems like a foregone conclusion -- the Chargers will be leaving. 

As for Rivers, if he really doesn't want to be part of an LA franchise just because it's in LA, I think he's a little ridiculous. The demographics in LA aren't that much different than San Diego. And if he did still want that San Diego vibe, he can fine a place in South OC. Seems like a silly reason to try to force your way off a team. He'd rather move his family to Tennessee than two hours away to LA?

There's no foregone conclusion....I don't believe....don't 3 teams want to move to an LA market that can only take 2 at most...?

...and to move by 2016....they've got to say so fairly soon, don't they?

anyway management has shut some of this down...

They have said.....Rivers wont be traded...he's a Charger for 2015 as he should be, in my opinion.