Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts signing Kendall Langford

corgi

This will be my last post for the night as I'm going to bed, but you proved my point here, "The Colts don't need players who are looking to get paid on their last contracts in their careers". Your words. This is why I would sign young free agents with upside. I actually love the Gore signing, but look at Grigson's signings today, only one is under 30 and he is 29. These players are looking to get paid on the last contracts of their careers. Even if you meant all free agents in particular, look at the guys I like and one that Grigson liked as well: McPhee 26, Shorts 27, knighton 28, franklin 26. These guys don't break the bank but they are relatively young. Sign Gore as your Veteran Free Agent, McPhee and Shorts as the young upside guys and Knighton and Franklin as the proven youngsters. 

We stunted our growth by not surrounding our draft picks with solid free agents. The draft picks had to step up quickly and take over on offense. Guess what, we haven't really drafted on defense and since most of our defense is FA's that are mediocre, our defense sucks. You are right about why the Pats won a superbowl, but they built a solid team through the draft and then filled it with elite players through FA last year to put them over the top. It took a combination to have a chance to win the SB. As far as elite players, Brady, Gronk, McCourty, (Revis is gone), Sebastian Vollmer has been a monster for them, they also have an elite front 7 on defense combined even if most of the players are near elite status. 

The bottom line is that there is little to be happy about when you get a bunch of 30+ year old mediocre players that are bandaids. The only one that has a huge purpose is Gore, and we are literally making no progress. This won't put us over the top and we won't have another chance to sign top players in Free Agency with Luck and Hilton's contracts coming up along with the TE's. We had a chance to build an identity, sign an OL and DL man and then draft the remaining pieces around them, instead we sign a 32 year old G to a one year deal that will do nothing but delay a young guard from learning how to play for us for a year or even worse getting an orlando franklin that is 26 and actually staying with us at a high level for 8-10 years. 

If you don't get it by now, I guess we have to agree to disagree. We may not have enough time as a new team yet to completely rebuild our defense, but we could of had 3 or 4 elite guys from free agency by now as our core along with Vontae instead of just Vontae if Grigson would of signed quality over quanity. 

Who's to say that the Colts aren't already replicating that this year? They made it to the AFC Championship last season. That would indicate they are only a few pieces away. It doesn't matter that these free agents won't be here in 5 or 6 years. All the Colts need to do is have these players "fill in the gap" so to speak while simultaneous draft classes get experience and mature. The reason why New England has had such success, even recently, is because they have had the same core coach and QB among other players in place for over a decade. The Colts are now in year four of such a process. Those players you mentioned on New England weren't the star-caliber players they are overnight either.

It's funny how you mention a player like Orlando Franklin and reason to sign him because he's a younger player. The Colts in all likelihood would have had to VASTLY overpay him for what he brought to the table. And yes, they've overpaid for other free agents as well. But what the Colts are trying to do is win now with the window they have in terms of finances available. Trust me, you don't want to be stuck in a bad spot down the road and not have enough money for a true star player on your team because you signed Orlando Franklin back in 15'.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · Hidden by SteelCityColt, March 11, 2015 - Quoting Hidden Post
Hidden by SteelCityColt, March 11, 2015 - Quoting Hidden Post

Guys whats happening about Andre. I'm getting really nervous now. Please tell me were going to sign him.

Dude, calm down, it's 8 am, they probably don't even hold meetings until 9 am. Nobody here knows more than you do, just relax and enjoy the show.

Sound logic CC, but let me play devils advocate for a moment: Andrew Luck is the sole reason we've done so well.  Grigson did nothing to obtain him, he was conveniently there when we had the first pick which was "earned" (if that word fits) the hard way by the previous administration.  Subtract Luck and put any other available QB here and we likely would still not have cracked .500 with all the talent he's brought in.  Think Hasselbeck could have achieved those numbers?  Or any other QB they might have found?  Hell, even if they'd drafted Russell Wilson with our exact team each of the past 3 years, I would be shocked if we'd have broken .500.  So yes, on the back of Luck, they've done well.  But sadly when we get up against the top talent (2 Super Bowl Champs and 1 other NE team) we haven't been competitive.  Luck can only do so much with a crappy line, crappy seasonal RB play, terrible D-Line play when it counts and too many receivers with cases of the drops.  I think Hamilton and Pagano's Power Run concepts with a top notch QB on top is excellent.  Grigson hasn't given them the players they need to dominate all the way.  He's drafted great, then not so great then decently, he's had one outstanding trade and mostly mediocre ones the rest of the time and his overall FA success has been Sub Par.  Andrew Luck covers most of his sins.   (He'd cover most anyone's sins, just as Brady and Manning certainly have during their careers).  So in my opinion, even though he started with bare bones, he was handed this generation's best QB.  I bet most GM's would look pretty darn good with Luck.  Grigson is just one of them.   

Perhaps you vehemently disagree with everything I wrote above, and that's fair enough.  But I think many see that side of the argument as strongly as others see your side.  I always felt that Peyton suffered from his coaches not having a killer instinct in their games.  Often they'd hit hard, get a lead and then stop playing to crush.  Imagine if New England had not crushed us so thoroughly the last three times we played them.  Andrew Luck may just have come back and won.  But they removed all doubt on who was better even though the games tended to be reasonably close at half time.  I think for all his amazing positives, Tony Dungy did not have the aggressive "No Quarter Given" mentality that a Bill Belichick has.  Our coaches seem to have that killer instinct (thus all the amazing comebacks) but they can only do so much with the talent they have.  That part falls on Grigs.  Anyway, just my thoughts.  You are right that all of us should be thrilled with the success record the Colts have had.  

I just have one respond question. Is the Colts the only team that the Patriots have beaten over the last three seasons? I think the Patriot losses are because their in the heads of the Colts not so much in the talent level. It seems like that is also true about some Colt fans too. The tide will be turning. Even Little Red Riding Hood wasn't scared of the Big Bad Wolf.

If it makes any difference, Terrance Knighton says OAK n DEN is out of the race. Bleacher Report says WAS and CHI is out of the race. That makes us the only ones in the race. Lets get er done!

Heard schefter on mike and Mike this morning. He was saying sounds like Knighton to Indy is strong possibility. I'd rather have him over Wilfork and Fairley

I just have one respond question. Is the Colts the only team that the Patriots have beaten over the last three seasons? I think the Patriot losses are because their in the heads of the Colts not so much in the talent level. It seems like that is also true about some Colt fans too. The tide will be turning. Even Little Red Riding Hood wasn't scared of the Big Bad Wolf.

I think it's mainly that the Pats outschemed the Colts on the running game...the colts were never able to counter that extra O line blocker the Pats used.

Who's to say that the Colts aren't already replicating that this year? They made it to the AFC Championship last season. That would indicate they are only a few pieces away. It doesn't matter that these free agents won't be here in 5 or 6 years. All the Colts need to do is have these players "fill in the gap" so to speak while simultaneous draft classes get experience and mature. The reason why New England has had such success, even recently, is because they have had the same core coach and QB among other players in place for over a decade. The Colts are now in year four of such a process. Those players you mentioned on New England weren't the star-caliber players they are overnight either.

It's funny how you mention a player like Orlando Franklin and reason to sign him because he's a younger player. The Colts in all likelihood would have had to VASTLY overpay him for what he brought to the table. And yes, they've overpaid for other free agents as well. But what the Colts are trying to do is win now with the window they have in terms of finances available. Trust me, you don't want to be stuck in a bad spot down the road and not have enough money for a true star player on your team because you signed Orlando Franklin back in 15'.

We are probably a few pieces away, however, we are very top heavy and probably not even in the top half for best overall roster on offense and defense. The problems with these 30 year old bandaids is that 1.) They won't get better only worse 2.) they will be gone within a year or two, so this specific strategy makes you rely completely on building through the draft. I agree with building through the draft, but you should leave yourself some outs in FA in case you miss on some picks. You are right about New England having the Core coach and QB, I can't deny that. 

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasyfootball/update/25099473/report-chargers-orlando-franklin-have-five-year-deal-in-place

That is Orlando Franklin's Contract with the Chargers, approximently 5 years, $36.5 Million. We paid Trent Cole $8 million a year. Lets say we paid Franklin 8 Million a year for 5 years to get him from the Chargers, woudn't this be much better than a 32 year old Trent Cole? You protect Luck for 5 years and get a young proven Free Agent. Even if Cherilus or the tackle you draft turns out to be a bust now, at least you covered a key spot on the O-line in Franklin for the next 5 years.

Sorry about the double quote BTW.

I like the Langford pick. he will likely transition to a DE in the 3-4 defense at 6-6 313lbs he will be a great addition. I sense that Redding def wont be returning. 

If he's a backup and we go after Knighton then I have no problem with the move. Sadly, I get the feeling he will start for us and Knighton will go elsewhere. I will happily eat crow if I'm wrong, I just don't feel it yet though. Yesterday took a lot out of me.

We are probably a few pieces away, however, we are very top heavy and probably not even in the top half for best overall roster on offense and defense. The problems with these 30 year old bandaids is that 1.) They won't get better only worse 2.) they will be gone within a year or two, so this specific strategy makes you rely completely on building through the draft. I agree with building through the draft, but you should leave yourself some outs in FA in case you miss on some picks. You are right about New England having the Core coach and QB, I can't deny that. 

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasyfootball/update/25099473/report-chargers-orlando-franklin-have-five-year-deal-in-place

That is Orlando Franklin's Contract with the Chargers, approximently 5 years, $36.5 Million. We paid Trent Cole $8 million a year. Lets say we paid Franklin 8 Million a year for 5 years to get him from the Chargers, woudn't this be much better than a 32 year old Trent Cole? You protect Luck for 5 years and get a young proven Free Agent. Even if Cherilus or the tackle you draft turns out to be a bust now, at least you covered a key spot on the O-line in Franklin for the next 5 years.

Sorry about the double quote BTW.

You can say the Colts aren't in the top half of the league in terms of their overall roster but the proof is in the pudding. They've advanced another round each year since they've made the playoffs under Pagano/Grigson and last year made it to the "final 4". You can talk about being completely reliant on the draft but all of the top teams in the league have been built through the draft. The Patriots have. The Colts during the Polian years. The Packers, etc etc. The Colts have now done exactly what you are purposing. Build through the draft while supplementing themselves with players that will maybe push them "over the top" while they can still afford them. Once Luck and TY come up for their paydays, you won't see the Colts dabbling like this in free agency because they won't have the money to do so.

I hear what you are saying but let's realize a few things here.

1. There is no guarantee that Franklin (or Cole for that matter) will pan out.

2. The Colts offensive line is actually pretty solid in my eyes if they are healthy. (Castanzo, Mewhort, Holmes, Herremans, Reitz)

He is in Washington today. Schefter essentially said that if knighton leaves Washington expect Indy to be a serious player. He also said Washington is historically a good sell and most guys don't leave after a visit.

That's odd. How would any player think Washington would be a better team to join than the Colts? 

INDY NEEDS SOME POT ROAST! 

You can say the Colts aren't in the top half of the league in terms of their overall roster but the proof is in the pudding. They've advanced another round each year since they've made the playoffs under Pagano/Grigson and last year made it to the "final 4". You can talk about being completely reliant on the draft but all of the top teams in the league have been built through the draft. The Patriots have. The Colts during the Polian years. The Packers, etc etc. The Colts have now done exactly what you are purposing. Build through the draft while supplementing themselves with players that will maybe push them "over the top" while they can still afford them. Once Luck and TY come up for their paydays, you won't see the Colts dabbling like this in free agency because they won't have the money to do so.

I hear what you are saying but let's realize a few things here.

1. There is no guarantee that Franklin (or Cole for that matter) will pan out.

2. The Colts offensive line is actually pretty solid in my eyes if they are healthy. (Castanzo, Mewhort, Holmes, Herremans, Reitz)

It's been a heck of a ride these last three years and I'm proud of this team. Grigson has done a great job through the draft making us competitive. As I told CrazyColt though, I think he is handicapping us through Free Agency. We are slapping the proverbial bandaid on here thinking these moves will push us over the top IMO. The Herremans pick in particular bugs me because he's 32, he's a bandaid that will keep a young guard from developing, and if he does well next year we may not get him back. Also, he could start declining at any time. I don't think Franklin is a elite G. I think he's as good as Mewhort, maybe slightly better, but you 100% know what you are getting out of him, and it will stay that way for 5 years. I'll happily pay 8 million a year for 5 years for an extra jack mewhort on the other side. 

You are also absolutely right, once Luck and TY are signed, we can't do this again. It would of been nice to get 4 or 5 guys like a Mcphee, Knighton, Franklin, Shorts combo along with Gore that are young and will produce while our next draft class is growing. You also have to remember, as good as Grigson is with the draft, he could have a bad one. If we bust on two of our first three picks I'd like to say, at least the Free agents can make up for that draft class. Again, 26-28 year old free agents are crucial because they give your draft class the opportunity to grow without being relied upon right away and outs in case they are busts.

They have a good interview with Langford on colts.com. Basically said the same thing some has been saying. He's always played in a 3-4 and feels way more comfortable in the 3-4. His 3 years for the Rams was first time playing 4-3 in a long time. Sounded like a really good guy.

If he's a backup and we go after Knighton then I have no problem with the move. Sadly, I get the feeling he will start for us and Knighton will go elsewhere. I will happily eat crow if I'm wrong, I just don't feel it yet though. Yesterday took a lot out of me.

Knighton would be a NT in the 3-4 defense. Langford is expected to play as a DE in the 3-4 so technically they both will start. 

Great signing at a good price.  We need one more DL, hopefully a DT like Knighton, who won't take much time away from Langford, a true 3-4 DE.   

Good thing we didn't get suckered into overpaying for  a 4-3 UT like Fairley,  or like the skins did with Paea.