Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts re-sign CB Darius Butler (Mega-Merge)

MTC

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that was a good value and he obviously knows our defense. I do think we look at a corner somewhere in the first half of our draft. Between injuries and just upgrading we could use someone to groom and contribute like how Denver did with Roby last year. With what was out there and what people were likely to get paid....I'm glad we kept Butler.

I just can't imagine the Colts taking a CB Rd.1 in the draft now. But that could change, just need to see how free agency pans out.

Either way, it's exciting to have a first round pick again.

Agree to the last.

I'm not predicting anything about who we pick, but I don't think re-signing Butler really influences the team's draft plans. I don't think Grigson would pass on a first round talent because we re-signed our nickelback.

Agree to the last.

I'm not predicting anything about who we pick, but I don't think re-signing Butler really influences the team's draft plans. I don't think Grigson would pass on a first round talent because we re-signed our nickelback.

I see so many who don't grasp the concept.  They are not just drafting for the 2015 season but also have to look beyond.   

Agree to the last.

Oh, absolutely.

We need to see how free agency pans out, and then we will have a much better understanding what our needs will be in the draft.

I'd be happy with any kind of defense or even RB right now.

I just want to get Luck a consistent running game and another WR threat. Then I would feel much better about this upcoming season. As long as we can build up the D.

A lot of ways to go! Defense is a must, but I would go we the BAP at DL, WR, RushOLB, RB, S, CB, ILB, T, G, NT, in no particular order. No need for a TE or QB as we all know . If we do we are assured value with the picks.

Very debatable. 

When you draft him you don't have the intention of having him 4th on the depth chart, that's what your given and then he progresses to the pro level. If Peters progresses properly he could be a #1 CB in this league, and if in our system a great #2 across from Vontae. 

So really you're not getting a 4th stringer.. You're getting a prospect to develop who may play well enough in training camp/OTA's to pass Toler/Butler on the depth chart.

A first and second rounder really needs to be a starter with few exceptions.  If not, it mostly a poor selection.

A lot of ways to go! Defense is a must, but I would go we the BAP at DL, WR, RushOLB, RB, S, CB, ILB, T, G, NT, in no particular order. No need for a TE or QB as we all know . If we do we are assured value with the picks.

exactly how i feel.  BPA at any position except for TE or QB is the way to go.  no need to trade up or down, just take the BPA and fill a major hole, with a good young player near the top of this class at his position

Yeah he got defensive snaps.

It's really not the point though. The point was made a long time ago. You take the best players and figure the rest out later.

The BPA stuff is GM lexicon for I don't want to discuss my needs.  It always irritates me when teams pretend not to draft to needs.  I mean would we take a QB in round one?  Of course not....what if he's the BPA?  I think it's true that occasionally a special player will fall to a team and they feel the value is so good they take him....but generally speaking you draft BPA that match your needs.  The entire 2012 draft was a need based draft and it turned out really well.  Not really the point of thread, I know...Sorry.  I guess my point is you can't just take guys and sort it out, you'd better do serious forecasting around immediate needs, future needs (meaning projecting contracts etc), and BPA.  DL/OL/S/LB/RB

The BPA stuff is GM lexicon for I don't want to discuss my needs.  It always irritates me when teams pretend not to draft to needs.  I mean would we take a QB in round one?  Of course not....what if he's the BPA?  I think it's true that occasionally a special player will fall to a team and they feel the value is so good they take him....but generally speaking you draft BPA that match your needs.  The entire 2012 draft was a need based draft and it turned out really well.  Not really the point of thread, I know...Sorry.  I guess my point is you can't just take guys and sort it out, you'd better do serious forecasting around immediate needs, future needs (meaning projecting contracts etc), and BPA.  DL/OL/S/LB/RB

Well, let's not be overly dogmatic. You can cross QB off our draft board.

But you don't say "hey, we don't need a CB because we're three deep, let's pass on that guy that is talented and we all like because it's not our greatest need." If drafting a CB in the first round makes our depth chart a little crowded, that's okay, you figure that out later. You take the best players you can, allowing for common sense.

And I disagree that the 2012 draft was needs based. Trading for Vontae Davis was needs based.