Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jets sign Revis (merge / update)

dw49

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Revis has maximized his earning potential like no other player in the history of football. It's crazy his uncle (Sean Gilbert) hates the CBA

— Ryan Clark (@Realrclark25)

March 11, 2015

Darrelle Revis was asking teams for $40 million guaranteed. Jets' deal expected to top that. North of $40M guaranteed.

— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter)

March 11, 2015

Good for us. Without Revis NE secondary is nothing special. 

Hilton, Moncrief, Fleener, Allen, Carter; Gore and possibly Johnson.. good luck stopping that NE.

I want to like this, but I feel like it's been said in some form for the last 12 or so years. Also, their secondary doesn't have to worry much when their runningbacks can just rack up 200+ yards every game. 

Now the Patriots are going to be able to spend some money on FA....the Secondary wasn't bad, I think we should get Browner back and sign some big name FA out there.

Not going to get another Revis, but I think they will be okay.

Wow. He got paid. I think that's a mistake by the Jets to give him such a long term deal. He's going to be 30 when the season starts and I can't see him being an elite lockdown corner when he's 34 or 35. Revis chases the money

This is a good trade for the Jets. Their fans were crushed when they lost Revis two years ago. He is one of the most popular players to don a Jets uniform. I am happy for their fans. They will have a top defense this year.

Wow.  He got paid.  I think that's a mistake by the Jets to give him such a long term deal.  He's going to be 30 when the season starts and I can't see him being an elite lockdown corner when he's 34 or 35.  Revis chases the money

Guaranteed through two years, partially guaranteed in Year 3. Basically a three year deal.

Not going to get another Revis, but I think they will be okay.

Yeah, unfortunately there is only one Revis in this league.

He is a solid guy and really liked him. At the end of the day Revis enjoyed being in NY and has lots of friends there.

Its almost like LeBron's case.......leave to win a championship, comeback where your heart really is at afterwards.

Guaranteed through two years, partially guaranteed in Year 3. Basically a three year deal.

Still a 33-32 mil deal for 2 years, he is getting paid big time.

Revis will be good for another 2-3 years for sure as long as he stays injury free.

The Jets defense is looking good so far, the question is, will they still be good without Rex at helm on the defensive side?

I am not worried about the Jets as much as the Bills, now that's a playoff contender team.

I think at this point the Patriots need to focus on signing Spiller, I think he is a better player than Roy Helu. I wouldn't mind signing Harvin at Vet minimum, I doubt the guy will get any big deals.

The main concern for me as a Pats fan is our defensive linemen, without Wilfork there is a big void, and there is no one on our roster that is going to fill that role. They need to pick a DT in the first two rounds in this years draft.

Still a 33-32 mil deal for 2 years, he is getting paid big time.

Revis will be good for another 2-3 years for sure as long as he stays injury free.

The Jets defense is looking good so far, the question is, will they still be good without Rex at helm on the defensive side?

I am not worried about the Jets as much as the Bills, now that's a playoff contender team.

I think at this point the Patriots need to focus on signing Spiller, I think he is a better player than Roy Helu. I wouldn't mind signing Harvin at Vet minimum, I doubt the guy will get any big deals.

The main concern for me as a Pats fan is our defensive linemen, without Wilfork there is a big void, and there is no one on our roster that is going to fill that role. They need to pick a DT in the first two rounds in this years draft.

The defense took a HUGE hit. Between Wilfork (who wasn't that great in 2014, but still a big piece) and Revis -- who allowed the Pats secondary to do a lot of things that they haven't been able to do in a long time. As a matter of fact, McCourty's effectiveness without Revis is diminished.

They also lost Browner, who I don't think is anything but average, at best, and a flag magnet. 

The defense took a HUGE hit. Between Wilfork (who wasn't that great in 2014, but still a big piece) and Revis -- who allowed the Pats secondary to do a lot of things that they haven't been able to do in a long time. As a matter of fact, McCourty's effectiveness without Revis is diminished.

They also lost Browner, who I don't think is anything but average, at best, and a flag magnet. 

I still want Browner back, we need his attitude on that defense. I like the way he gets physical and he can play tight ends too.

Butler is not ready to cover the outside, he can take over the Arrington role in the slot. We will see how things pan out in the draft, BB has have tons of misses in drafting a cornerback. I think the Patriots need to give something up and go up in the draft and grab a cornerback.

Either way the Jets got a good player at a good value since they have tons of cap space since they have a nobody no good QB and they will not have to invest big money on a QB for a long time if they go the draft route unless they sign a big free agent QB like Brees or Kaepernick.

Well at least the Pats will get a 3rd round compensatory pick for him, as well as one of the Jets draft picks for tampering... not sure which round it will be, but for 100% certainty the Patriots will be receiving one of the Jets picks, or swapping picks in a round.

No more worrying about how they're going to keep core guys, Revis was the piece that was creating a lot of hardship in working the numbers and now that hes gone its like a bandaid being ripped off.. now they have plenty of money to go after whoever they want in FA

The mercenary Revis.. at least we locked up McCourty

Well at least the Pats will get a 3rd round compensatory pick for him, as well as one of the Jets draft picks for tampering... not sure which round it will be, but for 100% certainty the Patriots will be receiving one of the Jets picks, or swapping picks in a round.

No more worrying about how they're going to keep core guys, Revis was the piece that was creating a lot of hardship in working the numbers and now that hes gone its like a bandaid being ripped off.. now they have plenty of money to go after whoever they want in FA

The mercenary Revis.. at least we locked up McCourty

How do you get a comp pick for declining a players option?

Well, bummer news for Pats but I don't blame Bill for not going that high for Revis. I never thought the Pats would get to 16 much less 17 mil per year fully guaranteed over 2 years and then a partially guaranteed third. The good news is we are at day 2 of FA so lots of time for Pats to figure out the secondary and lots of money to put it together.

I was trying to come up with another player in any pro sport that has done what Revis just did - leave a SB winning team to go to a 4 win team. It's not like the Pats were going to pay him peanuts and yet he chose one of the worst teams in the league with a new coaching staff to boot. It is head scratching.

I also can't help but see in spades today the difference between Brady and most every other player in the NFL. You guys like to ride me about my fanaticism over him but days like yesterday are what makes me appreciate Brady even more. I never blame a player for taking the money when he can especially in football where a career can end on any play, but when a player doesn't take the money he can and gives back his guarantee it speaks volumes. The Pats won this SB in large part to Brady's extension allowing them to sign Revis, Browner and LaFell  - all key contributors to the ring. So even though today is brutally tough, having that fourth ring delivered by the best QB of his generation makes everything much easier to swallow.

Wow.  He got paid.  I think that's a mistake by the Jets to give him such a long term deal.  He's going to be 30 when the season starts and I can't see him being an elite lockdown corner when he's 34 or 35.  Revis chases the money

It's really a 2 year 39 million deal with a 6 million dead cap hit in year 3, or 3 year 48 million contract.  Years 4 and 5 are 11 million base salary each, no more guaranteed money, so an easy cut after year 3.  They are paying huge for 3 years service, though.

Well, bummer news for Pats but I don't blame Bill for not going that high for Revis. I never thought the Pats would get to 16 much less 17 mil per year fully guaranteed over 2 years and then a partially guaranteed third. The good news is we are at day 2 of FA so lots of time for Pats to figure out the secondary and lots of money to put it together.

I was trying to come up with another player in any pro sport that has done what Revis just did - leave a SB winning team to go to a 4 win team. It's not like the Pats were going to pay him peanuts and yet he chose one of the worst teams in the league with a new coaching staff to boot. It is head scratching.

I also can't help but see in spades today the difference between Brady and most every other player in the NFL. You guys like to ride me about my fanaticism over him but days like yesterday are what makes me appreciate Brady even more. I never blame a player for taking the money when he can especially in football where a career can end on any play, but when a player doesn't take the money he can and gives back his guarantee it speaks volumes. The Pats won this SB in large part to Brady's extension allowing them to sign Revis, Browner and LaFell - all key contributors to the ring. So even though today is brutally tough, having that fourth ring delivered by the best QB of his generation makes everything much easier to swallow.

It's not head-scratching. Revis has been and will always be a mercenary. My favorite thing about him.

You can say he took the 12 million because he wanted to have a chance of win a ring, but that's naive. It was a means to an end. It's more likely he choose to play for a less in order to boost his stock when hitting FA. So his actions were always part of a bigger plan to hit FA. Revis always has his eyes on the greens.

Except for last year when he wasn't.

The $16M APY contract he had signed says otherwise.

lol. He got paid 12 mil. Second year was phony as we saw play out. Pats rented him got the ring. What is really satisfying in all this is Revis wanted to go back to NY last year. Rex was begging Woody and they said no. They could have had Revis for much less than what they are paying now and instead they got to see the Pats win the ring with him and are now paying him the most of any defensive player in the league aside from Suh. I love it. If one thing we know about the Jets, they do not know how to build a roster starting with the QB ... lol.

Either way the Jets got a good player at a good value since they have tons of cap space since they have a nobody no good QB and they will not have to invest big money on a QB for a long time if they go the draft route unless they sign a big free agent QB like Brees or Kaepernick.

Not good value...$16.5 mil a year the first 2 years..

..you get injured when you pass 30.....

they will regret this