Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jets sign Revis (merge / update)

dw49

Man are the Jets ever putting the screws to the Pats. Talk about driving a guys price up. Who needs to tamper when you can just "leak" out that you're willing to pay him huge $'s. No way (IMO) he signs for 12 mill per after getting wind of that. 

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am surprised the Jets want him back so badly. Johnson made it clear last year that he did not want to pursue him and Revis said his first choice was NY. So I guess we will see. Depends if Revis wants to make a boat load which he could have done last year by going to a bottom feeder or stay with the Pats and go for another ring. I can't imagine the Jets are attractive to him at all other than the money. But that could be enough to sway him.

I am surprised the Jets want him back so badly. Johnson made it clear last year that he did not want to pursue him and Revis said his first choice was NY. So I guess we will see. Depends if Revis wants to make a boat load which he could have done last year by going to a bottom feeder or stay with the Pats and go for another ring. I can't imagine the Jets are attractive to him at all other than the money. But that could be enough to sway him.

Todd Bowles is a coach a lot of defenders would like to play for I would imagine, and the Jets are in a pretty good position to nab Mariota if Tampa Bay doesn't. Plus I think Revis likes the lights of NYC. He probably sees a lot of positives in going back to where he started.

Todd Bowles is a coach a lot of defenders would like to play for I would imagine, and the Jets are in a pretty good position to nab Mariota if Tampa Bay doesn't. Plus I think Revis likes the lights of NYC. He probably sees a lot of positives in going back to where he started.

I think chances are remote that Jets get Mariota. I think a team takes them before them or the Eagles trade up. I agree about Bowles though. What is the tipping point here is how satisfied Revis is now that he has ring. Is he hungry for another or is he content and wants to make the dough and be in the bright lights of NYC. Tough decision. I don't blame him no matter which way he goes but I do hope he stays with the Pats. I hate to think of trying to replace him.

I think chances are remote that Jets get Mariota. I think a team takes them before them or the Eagles trade up. I agree about Bowles though. What is the tipping point here is how satisfied Revis is now that he has ring. Is he hungry for another or is he content and wants to make the dough and be in the bright lights of NYC. Tough decision. I don't blame him no matter which way he goes but I do hope he stays with the Pats. I hate to think of trying to replace him.

True on that Mariota bit. The Draft is always full of surprises, I was just going off of where things stand right now (even though those Eagle trade up rumors keep getting hotter and hotter). Also that is a good point concerning rings. The Patriots are the team to beat right now and obviously they have a better chance of getting back to the big one then the Jets do. I know he was a big contributor to you guys' ring this season, so I know it would be great to have the Island back in New England for his second quest.

I can't imagine the Jets are attractive to him at all other than the money. But that could be enough to sway him.

its not the team, but NYC that he likes.  he has always been about the money too, and i dont blame him.  now that he has a ring he could be more than willing to sign with a team that probably wont sniff the playoffs if it means he can be back in NY and make more than the patriots can offer.

its not the team, but NYC that he likes.  he has always been about the money too, and i dont blame him.  now that he has a ring he could be more than willing to sign with a team that probably wont sniff the playoffs if it means he can be back in NY and make more than the patriots can offer.

Time will tell, but I do not think the Bills or Jets will end up with Revis just because of the unresolved tampering charge.  

If he loves NY (I do!), would the Giants be interested?  If Revis is just trying to max out his pay check, the Pats are probably not going to be the highest bidder.

I am not sure how attractive NY is to him with Rex gone.

Defensive minded coach that likes his corners on islands. I'm guessing he likes it just fine.

Bill is a defensive minded coach who put him on an island .. and also, according to Revis, surrounded him with the most talented secondary he has every played with since high school and got him a ring.

But money talks ...

It's hard to imagine the Pats not leveraging the 2nd year of his existing contract to get a deal done. They can simply tell him that if he doesn't agree to a long term deal by Tuesday that they are going to pick up the 2nd year. Then he can choose between $25M guaranteed for next year or $45 - $50M guaranteed if he signs a longer term deal. I don't see how he even reaches the market.

It's hard to imagine the Pats not leveraging the 2nd year of his existing contract to get a deal done. They can simply tell him that if he doesn't agree to a long term deal by Tuesday that they are going to pick up the 2nd year. Then he can choose between $25M guaranteed for next year or $45 - $50M guaranteed if he signs a longer term deal. I don't see how he even reaches the market.

I don't think it is likely the Pats will pay him $20 mil for this year with a $25 mil cap hit. They could if they think they need more time to reach a longer agreement and sort of treat it as a franchise tag but then that restricts what moves they can make in FA. Letting go of Vince freed up 8 mil so they have some cap space just with that release to hopefully get something done with Revis and/or McCourty.

I don't think it is likely the Pats will pay him $20 mil for this year with a $25 mil cap hit. They could if they think they need more time to reach a longer agreement and sort of treat it as a franchise tag but then that restricts what moves they can make in FA. Letting go of Vince freed up 8 mil so they have some cap space just with that release to hopefully get something done with Revis and/or McCourty.

I think they ought to be willing to take that cap hit for one year. Will it limit their ability to build a team around him? Yeah, maybe (though there are ways around everything). But I'd rather they be limited that way than the way they'd be limited if he left and went to another contending team. That's a double whammy. But the biggest thing is that by picking up that year, it seriously limits Revis' ceiling and eliminates the possibility that a team like the Jets will come in and do something real stupid money wise. Revis would then be forced to choose between taking the gamble, pocketing the $25M this year, then hitting the market next year with another year of wear and tear or to take a long term deal from the Pats for what likely would be market-setting numbers.

I think they ought to be willing to take that cap hit for one year. Will it limit their ability to build a team around him? Yeah, maybe (though there are ways around everything). But I'd rather they be limited that way than the way they'd be limited if he left and went to another contending team. That's a double whammy. But the biggest thing is that by picking up that year, it seriously limits Revis' ceiling and eliminates the possibility that a team like the Jets will come in and do something real stupid money wise. Revis would then be forced to choose between taking the gamble, pocketing the $25M this year, then hitting the market next year with another year of wear and tear or to take a long term deal from the Pats for what likely would be market-setting numbers.

I think Revis would jump for joy over the one year $20 mil and then hit the market again next year at 31. I think the missing piece here is what the Pats are exactly offering long-term. Is it 14? 16? I have to think if they are in this neighborhood that Revis will sign but if they are below 14 given Revis' age and all then they will lose him. I do think they may sweeten the pot with guaranteed money maybe at a lower per year to save there and he may go for that like he did last year.

I think Revis would jump for joy over the one year $20 mil and then hit the market again next year at 31. I think the missing piece here is what the Pats are exactly offering long-term. Is it 14? 16? I have to think if they are in this neighborhood that Revis will sign but if they are below 14 given Revis' age and all then they will lose him. I do think they may sweeten the pot with guaranteed money maybe at a lower per year to save there and he may go for that like he did last year.

Did you have bad info or are the reports coming out now untrue ? You mentioned that NE could make Revis like 2 weeks late going into the free agent pool by waiting to make a decision on the 2015 20 mill option. What I'm reading is Revis is a free agent unless signed by NE by days end. 

Did you have bad info or are the reports coming out now untrue ? You mentioned that NE could make Revis like 2 weeks late going into the free agent pool by waiting to make a decision on the 2015 20 mill option. What I'm reading is Revis is a free agent unless signed by NE by days end.

I think officially they can wait till April st. But they need to be under the cap by tomorrow. So it didnt matter

I think officially they can wait till April st. But they need to be under the cap by tomorrow. So it didnt matter

That makes sense and thus explains it. So what do you think of Gore having a horseshoe on his noggin

I think for a short term fix its great. He runs mean and has stayed pretty healthy. What are your thoughts?

I like it , just hoping that there isn't a big guarantee for 2016 . I watched a lot of him this year and no doubt in my mind he's still very good. But like you say it's short term. 

If Revis lands on the Jets, they'll owe the Pats compensation for their blatant tampering over the last several months.. its almost to a point where they're just flaunting it in front of the Pats and the league

I heard they were going to receive 2 pumps and 5 needles for compensation.

They could have waited until April 1 but wanted to get under the cap before then.

They could have waited until April 1 but wanted to get under the cap before then.

I wonder if they would have been considered to be over the cap if they just waited ? If not , I would think Revis would have had hard feelings if they delayed it to wreck his free agent period. 

I wonder if they would have been considered to be over the cap if they just waited ? If not , I would think Revis would have had hard feelings if they delayed it to wreck his free agent period. 

Yes. I just posted that to jvan. They didn't want to ruin FA for him. And I do think they will try to counter whatever offers he gets like they did with McCourty.

Yes and I also don't think they wanted to do that to Revis. I think they will let the Jet offer come in and then propose their offer to retain him. Pretty much what they did with McCourty.

If they weren't under the cap by tomorrow, his contract would have been voided by the league. It had nothing to do with giving him the chance to get other offers

I don't believe they were over the cap.

Not sure but i think Ivan is right. I found this in a USA article talking about The Pats and Revis. It makes you believe that they had to 

1) Clear cap room to fit his 25 mill in the 2015 cap

2) Sign him to a new deal.

3) Decline to pick up the option.

Here's the line that makes me think this...

"The Patriots, who had until 3:59 p.m. ET Tuesday to exercise the option, have not officially commented on the matter."

Usually the case after you win a ring.

good luck with that

Seeings how half of the NFL front office are former Jets front office staff, its an uphill battle.. but its blatant disregard for the rules to the letter of the law. 

There is zero room for misinterpretation, what Woody did was blatant tampering.. its literally in the definition of the rule and they use what he did as an example IN THE RULE..  Then they continue to leak stories to the press about how they're going to go hard for him and offer him whatever he wants..

Nobody is allowed to talk to Revis, he's not a free agent and you're not allowed to use the press to leak information on your desires for someone else's player.. what the Jets have been doing directly affects the Patriots negotiating position with Revis..  If they don't penalize the Jets, then they mine as well remove the tampering clause from the rulebook because it becomes a total joke..

Not sure but i think Ivan is right. I found this in a USA article talking about The Pats and Revis. It makes you believe that they had to 

1) Clear cap room to fit his 25 mill in the 2015 cap

2) Sign him to a new deal.

3) Decline to pick up the option.

Here's the line that makes me think this...

"The Patriots, who had until 3:59 p.m. ET Tuesday to exercise the option, have not officially commented on the matter."

This is a bit of a catch 22. I believe the Pats were not over the cap but with Revis' option on the books, it would make it difficult for them to make any moves in FA. Also, as I said before, they want to sign Revis and not hold him hostage during FA should he decide he wants to play elsewhere.

Seeings how half of the NFL front office are former Jets front office staff, its an uphill battle.. but its blatant disregard for the rules to the letter of the law.

There is zero room for misinterpretation, what Woody did was blatant tampering.. its literally in the definition of the rule and they use what he did as an example IN THE RULE.. Then they continue to leak stories to the press about how they're going to go hard for him and offer him whatever he wants..

Nobody is allowed to talk to Revis, he's not a free agent and you're not allowed to use the press to leak information on your desires for someone else's player.. what the Jets have been doing directly affects the Patriots negotiating position with Revis.. If they don't penalize the Jets, then they mine as well remove the tampering clause from the rulebook because it becomes a total joke..

again, good luck with that

I'm not buying any leaked stories until he signs somewhere. For all we know, the Jets could be trying to leak it out there that they aren't willing to break the bank in the hope that the Pats will try to take advantage with a low-ball offer that they would then blow away. That said, Revis' professed desire to return to the Jets sounds like a bit of a negotiating ploy on his end too. For one thing, Rex was the coach when he was there and by all accounts he was the attraction for players. Revis' dealings with the team during negotiations was kind of acrimonious...so it's hard for me to believe that a Jets team with the same ownership and a new coach is leading to him "longing for the good ole days" in New York.