Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jets sign Revis (merge / update)

dw49

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not good value...$16.5 mil a year the first 2 years..

..you get injured when you pass 30.....

they will regret this

It is hard to put value on the top elite players that set the bar for performance and price.  It is worth it if Revis doesn't suffer injury in the first 2 (and even 3) years.  Same for Suh when the Dolphins ink the deal.  These guys are the game changers Pagano speaks of. You get poor value when you pay B players A money in FA, not A+ players at A+ money.

If the Jets trade for a QB like Cutler, they may be better than folks give them credit for. 

No doubt in my mind Revis was the singular player that put the Patriots over the top. The 2 best secondaries met in the SB. Pass defense is the name of the game now.

If the Jets trade for a QB like Cutler, they may be better than folks give them credit for. 

No doubt in my mind Revis was the singular player that put the Patriots over the top. The 2 best secondaries met in the SB. Pass defense is the name of the game now.

I would love it if the Jets traded for and paid Cutler. :)

way too much for a 30-year-old corner..no matter how good he is

...way too much

He is the singular reason Pats crossed the line last year and you sit here and say it's too much. Your comment is based on assumption and speculation that he might get injured. Nothing in life is based on that.

He is not an average Joe. We are talking about the best cornerback in the game today.

And you defend paying a 39 year old QB with history of injuries to be paid 19 million a year?. And he won't get injured again?.

A bit of consistency would be good.

again, good luck with that

its been done before with other players in cases that weren't as black and white as this.. Lance Briggs comes to mind. . Additionally, woody was warned last year by the league to not do this because he tampered with DeSean Jackson as well. Plus there is a history between Jets and Pats tampering that has involved players and head coaches. .

Woody was warned, then blatantly disregarded the rule and did it again, and can easily be argued that it helped him land a HoF cb.. from a division rival less. .

You love seeing the league make an example of the Pats for things the rest of the league is doing, now the league is in a position where they will have to make an example of the jets for blatantly violating a rule, literally to the letter from the example provided in the actual rule book.

I doubt the punishment will be severe because they're in bed with the Jets, but they have to do something because of his egregious their blatant violation was. . There is no way to misinterpret it.

its been done before with other players in cases that weren't as black and white as this.. Lance Briggs comes to mind. . Additionally, woody was warned last year by the league to not do this because he tampered with DeSean Jackson as well. Plus there is a history between Jets and Pats tampering that has involved players and head coaches. .

Woody was warned, then blatantly disregarded the rule and did it again, and can easily be argued that it helped him land a HoF cb.. from a division rival less. .

You love seeing the league make an example of the Pats for things the rest of the league is doing, now the league is in a position where they will have to make an example of the jets for blatantly violating a rule, literally to the letter from the example provided in the actual rule book.

I doubt the punishment will be severe because they're in bed with the Jets, but they have to do something because of his egregious their blatant violation was. . There is no way to misinterpret it.

They may get a fine BUT if it was the Pats doing it to get Revis from them? It would lead the national news for weeks. Heck, they tried to suggest tampering of Blount when he willingly walked off the field, the Steelers cut him and 31 teams passed on him on waivers. lol.

I think I stated my opinion when I started the thread.They no doubt tampered with Revis and I agree NY will be hit with whatever penalties are appropriate in theses type cases. 

They may get a fine BUT if it was the Pats doing it to get Revis from them? It would lead the national news for weeks. Heck, they tried to suggest tampering of Blount when he willingly walked off the field, the Steelers cut him and 31 teams passed on him on waivers. lol.

I think the "suggestion" was that Blount knew he had a landing spot in NE and thus did what he could to ensure the Steelers released him. I'm not saying NE had contact with him saying they could use him , just saying what the "talk" was. Odds were that no team would bother to pick up Blount as this was pretty blatant bad attitude. Also what would he have to lose if someone did ? He was unhappy with Pitt and worse case scenario is he ends up with another team other than NE. I mean , it would make it a lot "easier" to pull a stunt like that knowing you will have another job waiting for you.  No..? 

Seeings how half of the NFL front office are former Jets front office staff, its an uphill battle.. but its blatant disregard for the rules to the letter of the law.

There is zero room for misinterpretation, what Woody did was blatant tampering.. its literally in the definition of the rule and they use what he did as an example IN THE RULE.. Then they continue to leak stories to the press about how they're going to go hard for him and offer him whatever he wants..

Nobody is allowed to talk to Revis, he's not a free agent and you're not allowed to use the press to leak information on your desires for someone else's player.. what the Jets have been doing directly affects the Patriots negotiating position with Revis.. If they don't penalize the Jets, then they mine as well remove the tampering clause from the rulebook because it becomes a total joke..

The Pats re-acquired LeGarrette Blount from the Steelers this past season in a manner that a lot of people considered tampering. It happens, it's a meat market. New England sold their soul to have Revis on the team last year and it worked out. You should just be thankful for that.

I think the "suggestion" was that Blount knew he had a landing spot in NE and thus did what he could to ensure the Steelers released him. I'm not saying NE had contact with him saying they could use him , just saying what the "talk" was. Odds were that no team would bother to pick up Blount as this was pretty blatant bad attitude. Also what would he have to lose if someone did ? He was unhappy with Pitt and worse case scenario is he ends up with another team other than NE. I mean , it would make it a lot "easier" to pull a stunt like that knowing you will have another job waiting for you.  No..? 

That is a huge stretch. Blount lost money by pulling the stunt so that makes no sense from his end whatsoever even if he was unhappy with his role. And even if he knew NE might want him back as after all he was their back the previous season, having him pass waivers would pretty much negate any tampering. Only takes one team out of 31 to pick him up and I remember quite a few Colts fans on this board wishing the Colts had nabbed him.

Naaa  ... I think you're wrong again. I'm looking at their present cap situation and even if you take the McCourtney signing off the books , they would still be at 133 mill as we speak. Add 20 mill for Revis and they are over .. even with the extra money they rolled over. I think they "could" have done it if they chose to do that. Extend Solder , cut Mayo, and probably wait on DM. 

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/new-england-patriots

Here is a great explanation..

http://www.patspulpit.com/2015/3/11/8189741/-patriots-couldnt-and-shouldnt-match-jets-offer-to-darrelle-revis-salary-cap

t's clarify: Darrelle Revis is still an elite cornerback, if not the best cornerback in the league. He was a key member of the Patriots Super Bowl team and his impact and output won't soon be forgotten.

But after looking at the Jets offer, the Patriots had no chance to keep Revis. He was gone.

When the Jets said they'd open up the pocketbook to sign Revis, they weren't bluffing. They gave him the entire bank vault.

New York offered a five year deal, valued at $70 million, with $39 million fully guaranteed, no ifs, ands, or buts. He gets that money if he's injured. He gets that money if he's cut. That $39 million is all his. His base salary is $16 million, $17 million, and $14 million over the next three seasons.

This is why the Patriots balked.

New England structures their deals with signing bonuses in order to spread the cap hit across the life of the contract, while also putting in protection language that would require the player to be on the roster at the start of each league year. It's this protection language that caused the divide between Revis and the Patriots to grow- he wanted his money with no strings attached, which the Patriots couldn't offer, but the Jets were more than willing to provide.

According to PatsCap, if the Patriots tried to match the Jets  "pay as you go" contract structure, Revis' cap hit would be $21 million due to the $16 million base salary, plus the $5 million outstanding from last season's signing bonus.

The Patriots currently have $13.6 million in cap space, per PatsCap, which would mean the Patriots would have to free up a minimum of $2.4 million in cap space to match the Jets offer, while leaving the Patriots at major risk if Revis were to be injured. This would also leave the Patriots with no cap space to fill any holes opened by freeing up the $2.4 million in cap space.

For reference, Dont'a Hightower accounts for $2.5 million in cap space. This is some crucial cap space.

The cap hit would also stand at $17 million next season, when the Patriots will have to address potential contract extension for Chandler JonesDont'a HightowerNate SolderJamie Collins, and other key members of the roster.

The Patriots would never have exposed themselves to such a high level of guaranteed money with no strings attached. They shouldn't be expected to, either, if they want to field a team with the depth required of every championship roster.

Revis will forever be remembered for his 2014 season, but there's no way the Patriots were going to match the Jets offer.

It was ~doable~..but at what price.

That's a great explanation. Thanks for posting. Pretty much what I have been reading and hearing all day today. Jets went ALL in big time. I am glad the Pats did match as it would have severely hurt our chances to continue to field a competitive roster that can go deep into the post-season.

That is a huge stretch. Blount lost money by pulling the stunt so that makes no sense from his end whatsoever even if he was unhappy with his role. And even if he knew NE might want him back as after all he was their back the previous season, having him pass waivers would pretty much negate any tampering. Only takes one team out of 31 to pick him up and I remember quite a few Colts fans on this board wishing the Colts had nabbed him.

How much money did he lose ? 

I don't know how "huge of a stretch" it is. But if he wanted out of Pittsburgh but still wanted to play in the NFL , it would make walking off the field to get out of there an "easier" thing to do if he knew there was AT LEAST ONE TEAM THAT WOULD EMPLOY HIM. I used caps there because once you get something in your head , you fail to read what someone is saying. Other words , he might think twice about leaving the game early if he thought it might NE the end of his 2014 season. As I said earlier , I'm not saying this happened , just saying that the thinking was by those that thought there may have been some "correspondence ."

How much money did he lose ? 

I don't know how "huge of a stretch" it is. But if he wanted out of Pittsburgh but still wanted to play in the NFL , it would make walking off the field to get out of there an "easier" thing to do if he knew there was AT LEAST ONE TEAM THAT WOULD EMPLOY HIM. I used caps there because once you get something in your head , you fail to read what someone is saying. Other words , he might think twice about leaving the game early if he thought it might NE the end of his 2014 season. As I said earlier , I'm not saying this happened , just saying that the thinking was by those that thought there may have been some "correspondence ."

What is the official definition of tampering? We know that teams let players know all the time they are interested in them. I have no doubt that the Pats told Blount that he would be brought back if things ended in Pitt but is that tampering? Woody Johnson blatantly said the Jets wanted Revis publicly so that is text book tampering but that is rare I would think. I know the NFL is punishing teams for actually offering contracts during the legal tampering window and then announcing them before FA began on March 10.

What is the official definition of tampering? We know that teams let players know all the time they are interested in them. I have no doubt that the Pats told Blount that he would be brought back if things ended in Pitt but is that tampering? Woody Johnson blatantly said the Jets wanted Revis publicly so that is text book tampering but that is rare I would think. I know the NFL is punishing teams for actually offering contracts during the legal tampering window and then announcing them before FA began on March 10.

I'm pretty sure the Jets were guilty of tampering . I don't feel like looking up the NFL definition of it cause I'm feeling lazy. Anyway...I think if NE conversed with Blount as you describe , it would be tampering . I would tend to think there isn't a whole lot to that as Blount probably just plain walked off the field and the rest of it was the rest of it. 

That's a great explanation. Thanks for posting. Pretty much what I have been reading and hearing all day today. Jets went ALL in big time. I am glad the Pats did match as it would have severely hurt our chances to continue to field a competitive roster that can go deep into the post-season.

Looks like that division is getting a lot more competitive. But I guess Buff and NY have huge QB issues and in today's NFL that doesn't seem to bode well. 

Looks like that division is getting a lot more competitive. But I guess Buff and NY have huge QB issues and in today's NFL that doesn't seem to bode well. 

Yes. It was competitive last year which is one of the reasons I feel the Pats were more battle tested heading into the post-season which served them well.

For sure the defenses are great which should help our offense get sharp but the QB situations are deplorable. Bills have Cassell and the Jets have Smith/Fitzpatrick. Eeesh. They will not be going anywhere with those guys leading them. I do expect a dog fight from the Fins though. Tanny took some nice steps forward last year but not sure I trust Philibin. For the past two seasons the Fins have collapsed in the month of Dec when they had a chance at the post-season in their control. Not sure what is going on there but they start strong and then fizzle.

I'm pretty sure the Jets were guilty of tampering . I don't feel like looking up the NFL definition of it cause I'm feeling lazy. Anyway...I think if NE conversed with Blount as you describe , it would be tampering . I would tend to think there isn't a whole lot to that as Blount probably just plain walked off the field and the rest of it was the rest of it. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81e5f721/article/lions-docked-seventhround-pick-for-antitampering-violation

The Lions got hit with a tampering violation way back when for comments similar to what Woody Johnson said. I'm pretty sure the thinking is 'we don't want other teams announcing that there's a strong market for a team's players, so don't talk about it.' Technically, it's tampering, and it's been reported.

In this case, I don't think it's a serious concern. Everyone knew Revis was going to be a free agent and test the market. As a matter of fact, the Patriots had to void his contract in order for that to happen. The Jets did no harm, IMO. The NFL might ding the Jets -- based on the precedent above, it wouldn't be a significant penalty -- but I think it's rather petty.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81e5f721/article/lions-docked-seventhround-pick-for-antitampering-violation

The Lions got hit with a tampering violation way back when for comments similar to what Woody Johnson said. I'm pretty sure the thinking is 'we don't want other teams announcing that there's a strong market for a team's players, so don't talk about it.' Technically, it's tampering, and it's been reported.

In this case, I don't think it's a serious concern. Everyone knew Revis was going to be a free agent and test the market. As a matter of fact, the Patriots had to void his contract in order for that to happen. The Jets did no harm, IMO. The NFL might ding the Jets -- based on the precedent above, it wouldn't be a significant penalty -- but I think it's rather petty.

I agree with all you have above. This was no doubt going to play out as it did. It was written in stone from the way they signed him in the first place. The only reason I think the Jets should get dinged is Johnson seemed to make it pretty clear he had a monster deal waiting for Revis. If I were NE , I would feel this at least obstructed my ability to sign him to a new deal before Friday , March 13th. 

Not a happy camper this morning. The difference between the 2014 Patriots and the team that they fielded from around 2009-2013 was their secondary. It took the better part of a decade to fully rebuild the unit into a strength instead of a glaring weakness, and now it looks like we're going back to holding our breath anytime an opposing QB throws the ball more than 10 yards down-field. I understand the cap and all the dynamics involved but in this particular case I think you make an exception to your own philosophy. Revis is that good, and that big of a difference-maker. The fact that it was the Jets is simply salt in the wound.

I just don't get it, and don't know what Belichick is thinking. He's got a Hall of Fame QB playing at a bargain price... aside from McCourty's new contract, they aren't overloaded with any high-priced guys. They could have made it work. They should have made it work. There is no "Plan B" to duplicate a guy like Revis. We're now going to be subjected to another year of Belichick trying to prove that scheme > talent, and I would conservatively say the Patriots just lost their status as AFC favorites heading into the 2015 season. 

As for the tampering charges, something will happen. I also wouldn't dismiss Woody Johnson's comments and the role they may have played in this process. The owner of the team said they would be glad to have him back. If you're aware of the history, I don't think that's insignificant at all. 

This too shall pass... I'm just pretty PO'd this morning. 

Thanks, Revis, for a great year. Can't really blame you for what you're doing. It was a blast.

I agree with all you have above. This was no doubt going to play out as it did. It was written in stone from the way they signed him in the first place. The only reason I think the Jets should get dinged is Johnson seemed to make it pretty clear he had a monster deal waiting for Revis. If I were NE , I would feel this at least obstructed my ability to sign him to a new deal before Friday , March 13th. 

I don't think there's any way Revis was going to sign with the Pats before going to free agency. Materially, I think that was set in stone. 

However, what little chance there might have been was undermined by the Jets' public comments. It's definitely tampering. But I don't really think it changed anything. It probably got the Pats to increase their initial offers, in turn costing the Jets money. But I think Revis was either going to stay in New England for $20m (yeah right), or hit the market.

I don't think there's any way Revis was going to sign with the Pats before going to free agency. Materially, I think that was set in stone. 

However, what little chance there might have been was undermined by the Jets' public comments. It's definitely tampering. But I don't really think it changed anything. It probably got the Pats to increase their initial offers, in turn costing the Jets money. But I think Revis was either going to stay in New England for $20m (yeah right), or hit the market.

agree

Not a happy camper this morning. The difference between the 2014 Patriots and the team that they fielded from around 2009-2013 was their secondary. It took the better part of a decade to fully rebuild the unit into a strength instead of a glaring weakness, and now it looks like we're going back to holding our breath anytime an opposing QB throws the ball more than 10 yards down-field. I understand the cap and all the dynamics involved but in this particular case I think you make an exception to your own philosophy. Revis is that good, and that big of a difference-maker. The fact that it was the Jets is simply salt in the wound.

I just don't get it, and don't know what Belichick is thinking. He's got a Hall of Fame QB playing at a bargain price... aside from McCourty's new contract, they aren't overloaded with any high-priced guys. They could have made it work. They should have made it work. There is no "Plan B" to duplicate a guy like Revis. We're now going to be subjected to another year of Belichick trying to prove that scheme > talent, and I would conservatively say the Patriots just lost their status as AFC favorites heading into the 2015 season. 

As for the tampering charges, something will happen. I also wouldn't dismiss Woody Johnson's comments and the role they may have played in this process. The owner of the team said they would be glad to have him back. If you're aware of the history, I don't think that's insignificant at all. 

Thanks, Revis, for a great year. Can't really blame you for what you're doing. It was a blast.

I feel you. Revis was the master key, IMO. McCourty is good and all, but he was good in 2013, too. It's Revis that allowed the Pats to play the aggressive coverages they played down the stretch. Now they might be back to the bend-don't-break coverages, which stress your defense across the board. 

Thing is, in two years when Revis isn't as effective as he was in 2014, and the Jets are paying him $16m, the Pats won't have that problem. They probably could have bit the bullet, then traded him after another season (assuming he hasn't negotiated a no-trade clause), but realistically, passing on him is fiscally responsible. It's just not the right football move, not right now. The Pats would have been primed for another deep run had they been able to keep him. Now, I doubt it. 

I feel you. Revis was the master key, IMO. McCourty is good and all, but he was good in 2013, too. It's Revis that allowed the Pats to play the aggressive coverages they played down the stretch. Now they might be back to the bend-don't-break coverages, which stress your defense across the board. 

Thing is, in two years when Revis isn't as effective as he was in 2014, and the Jets are paying him $16m, the Pats won't have that problem. They probably could have bit the bullet, then traded him after another season (assuming he hasn't negotiated a no-trade clause), but realistically, passing on him is fiscally responsible. It's just not the right football move, not right now. The Pats would have been primed for another deep run had they been able to keep him. Now, I doubt it. 

Absolutely, he changed the way they played D. I think letting Browner walk was a sign that Revis was probably already gone, since Browner is really most valuable as a complimentary piece... a physical presence opposite a top cover guy, like he was with Seattle. I don't think, on his own, he's a viable #2 for most teams. As a CB opposite someone like Revis or Sherman, you can maximize what you get out of him.

The trickle-down effect seems huge. As it stands, they would enter the season with Super Bowl hero Malcolm Butler and Logan Ryan as your starters. I suppose they can go after an impact player in May but they pick last in the first round and the top 3 or 4 CBs will probably be off the board by then. 

I really just wanted one more year out of that unit, that team, that roster... I think they had a decent chance to repeat, even with other FA losses (Vereen, probably Wilfork)... 

Oh well. 

Anyway, good for Revis and the Jets. This is obviously what they both wanted.

So true Gramz. Even when he was here, there was something very weird about it. I think he fit in and was certainly a good teammate by all accounts, but it definitely felt like they were "borrowing" someone else's player. And in the end, that's pretty much what it was I think. 

Absolutely, he changed the way they played D. I think letting Browner walk was a sign that Revis was probably already gone, since Browner is really most valuable as a complimentary piece... a physical presence opposite a top cover guy, like he was with Seattle. I don't think, on his own, he's a viable #2 for most teams. As a CB opposite someone like Revis or Sherman, you can maximize what you get out of him.

The trickle-down effect seems huge. As it stands, they would enter the season with Super Bowl hero Malcolm Butler and Logan Ryan as your starters. I suppose they can go after an impact player in May but they pick last in the first round and the top 3 or 4 CBs will probably be off the board by then. 

I really just wanted one more year out of that unit, that team, that roster... I think they had a decent chance to repeat, even with other FA losses (Vereen, probably Wilfork)... 

Oh well. 

The logical draft replacement is Marcus Peters. 

For me I look at it more simply.  If Revis knew he had no chance to sign with the Jets or more specifically he had no chance to get what he wanted from the Jets which landed him in Tampa Bay originally, what does that leave their respective leverage of the pats and Revis in their negotiations.  And how did that effect any negotiations to restructure the contract in the prior weeks. 

Time will tell how the NFL ends up with it is investigation, but a lot of this has to do with stuff that we do not know; and as such, we really can not come to any definitive answer one way or the other.  It could range from the statements made change Revis position from entering into a restructure that would be acceptable to the pats to sorry I am not restructuring and you are stuck with the contract we signed or that it did have no real factor.   It could of fallen anyway in that range.

What makes things more dicey if Revis would have had fewer plans to play for any other teams, thereby limiting his options funneling his leverage.  

We will see what happens.

Yes Revis was a great help and glad that we had him.  He really helped out the D a great deal and allowed us to get away from the zone coverage scheme.  And he certainly helped us win a SB and likely would of helped this year. 

However, at the same time I do think that he did help, at times there are things like luck that are outside the teams control.  And even if one is great and percentage wise should win, luck/bad game can get in the way.  This past season I thought were in great shape to make a run and we did, but we nearly lost to Baltimore, and partly do interestingly enough, to some untimely play by Revis with two costly penalties; one that helped Baltimore score near the end of the half and another that denied us the opportunity to have the ball on Baltimore's 2 yard line.   

So yah he helped but at the same time nearly cost us a playoff game and we would of been one and done.  As for lucky bounces/bad game/injuries, we have been close to a SB victory at least twice in the past 7 years.   So on one hand sad to see him go, but on the other I am not all doom and gloom as some of the fans here on the radio are sounding today. 

Also we have some key guys on defense coming up on contract years next year and perhaps the pats did not want to strap themselves and not be able to resign other key players.  I remember when a lot of folks were mad that we let Seymour go, but we got a first round draft pick and free up some money to sign other key players down the road.

Would of loved to have kept Revis, but the pats could only offer so much to him.  The salary cap does have its way to keeping teams some what even.

For me I look at it more simply.  If Revis knew he had no chance to sign with the Jets or more specifically he had no chance to get what he wanted from the Jets which landed him in Tampa Bay originally, what does that leave their respective leverage of the pats and Revis in their negotiations.  And how did that effect any negotiations to restructure the contract in the prior weeks. 

Time will tell how the NFL ends up with it is investigation, but a lot of this has to do with stuff that we do not know; and as such, we really can not come to any definitive answer one way or the other.  It could range from the statements made change Revis position from entering into a restructure that would be acceptable to the pats to sorry I am not restructuring and you are stuck with the contract we signed or that it did have no real factor.   It could of fallen anyway in that range.

What makes things more dicey if Revis would have had fewer plans to play for any other teams, thereby limiting his options funneling his leverage.  

We will see what happens.

The black and white of it is that's why those kind of comments are prohibited.

But looking at this specific situation and this specific player, I think he was always going to free agency. The contract he signed last year was structured so that he'd reach the market again, and everyone knew it then. We all rode the waves throughout the process, but the course was set a long time ago.

I wonder since the Jets have landed Skriene and trying to land Cromartie and now have Revis if they would be willing to part with Dee Millner....some reason I think he could make a good FS...he isn't that big but at 6'0 and like 210 I think he would make a nice project if we offered a mid rd pick...clearly they have no plans on the field for the kid. Any thoughts??

I am glad they did not sign Revis to what the Jets paid BUT I would have preferred they just pick up the $20 mil option even though it is ridiculous for one year. I mean why not? They obviously did not want to owe him $39 mil in guaranteed money over two years which I totally get but why not just do the one year deal? I realize it would have severely hampered their FA plans but who else did they really need to make another run?

The black and white of it is that's why those kind of comments are prohibited.

But looking at this specific situation and this specific player, I think he was always going to free agency. The contract he signed last year was structured so that he'd reach the market again, and everyone knew it then. We all rode the waves throughout the process, but the course was set a long time ago.

You may right and we will see as I mentioned, but I do not think that the contract was as set in stone as you make it out.  I always viewed it as one year deal tryout between the Pats and Revis and we will look at it again at the end of the season regardless how it ends up.  The pats and revis can look at how things went, do they like revis, does revis like playing in NE, how did it work out and so on.   What sense does Revis and the pats sense he could get elsewhere and where, and so on.  To this extent the comments could of had and effect on that plan.  If Revis only senses he has suitors in say Oakland and Jax and sense the contract is not that much better than the take or leave it Feb. offer by the pats, maybe he bites the bullet and stays in NE.

Omg if the Pats did something like that there would be 50 network trucks parked outside Gilette Stadium, interviewing hysterical mothers with crying babies while they scream "WHY!?!? How could BB do this to the children that look up to him! ! Think of the children that will now think it's ok to break the rules!!! BB should be banned from the league and the Pats should have to forfeit their next 10 drafts!"

You may right and we will see as I mentioned, but I do not think that the contract was as set in stone as you make it out.  I always viewed it as one year deal tryout between the Pats and Revis and we will look at it again at the end of the season regardless how it ends up.  The pats and revis can look at how things went, do they like revis, does revis like playing in NE, how did it work out and so on.   What sense does Revis and the pats sense he could get elsewhere and where, and so on.  To this extent the comments could of had and effect on that plan.  If Revis only senses he has suitors in say Oakland and Jax and sense the contract is not that much better than the take or leave it Feb. offer by the pats, maybe he bites the bullet and stays in NE.

Look at it this way. Things between Revis and the Pats could not possibly have gone better in 2014. He transformed their defense, they won the Super Bowl, and all sides were happy. They even got McCourty locked up before free agency started. And they still voided the option. They were always going to void the option. If there was any situation in which they would have picked up the option, it would be after a storybook season like they just had.

The deal was set up so that Revis would either make $32m over two seasons, or be a free agent in 2015, with no franchise tag. The Pats chose to let him hit free agency, and all things considered, that was always going to happen. Revis and his reps know his market; it didn't take Woody Johnson saying it out loud to know that.

Same thing with Suh; everyone knew that he'd be a free agent. The Lions weren't going to tag him for $27m, and he wasn't going to extend without hitting the market. Every team in the league could have said that they were interested, and it wouldn't have changed a thing.