Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Patriots investigation (merge)

dw49

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So did he mean Umpire, Head Linesman, Line Judge, Side Judge, Field Judge, or Back Judge?  These are all NFL officials, along with the Referee.

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/jurisdiction

I think everyone is embellishing every little leak  for max effect.

He meant a League Official, not a game official (i.e. a ref). Here's a good re-cap of the latest version of this story.

http://www.csnne.com/blog/patriots-talk/curran-another-black-eye-nfl-deflategate-quest

I’ll take the liberty to tighten up that explanation. Again, this is Schefter’s reporting from – it appears – one source.

The issue began when an NFL employee who is supposed to – presumably at game’s end – take the game-used balls complete with official markings and get them ready for charity auctioning, swiped one in the first half. A second league employee noticed a ball was missing. He went to fetch another to give to McNally so McNally could in turn give it to alternate official Greg Yette so it could be put in play.

Meanwhile, the guy running the scam saw there was a hubbub about the balls. He tried to get the ball he swiped back into circulation by giving that to McNally as well.

So McNally’s cruising around with two balls – one marked for the game and one unmarked – thanks to the scam the NFL employee was running.

Yette’s got balls flying at him. Marked. Unmarked. This McNally guy, a locker room attendant that looks like Charlie Weis’ kid brother, is the point man. Yette lets Kensil know.

The Patriots have been Kensil’s Moby Dick for years and now Kensil’s got ball shenanigans in progress in the AFC Championship Game. Kensil’s apparatus was probably on the field a full second before the rest of his body arrived.

Now it was open season on pressure-checking, inflation, deflation and accounting for all footballs like a mother hen counting her eggs.

And the guy stealing the balls from charity?

Schefter reports he has since been fired. For the AFC Championship foolishness? Nope. Because, Schefter said, “That was a pattern of behavior that exists in this particular individual…”

So Kensil – whose title by definition puts the swindling NFL employee under Kensil’s purview – allowed an individual who had a pattern of stealing footballs designated for charity and selling them for personal gain to be on the sidelines for the AFC Championship?

It would seem that’s where we are.

Off topic...I like the Pats more, and I could care less about off-season rumors and moves they make. Why would I care about the moves of a team I have only a passing interest in?

Why are you on a forum of a team you only have a passing interest in? I hear knitting is fun....

He meant a League Official, not a game official (i.e. a ref). Here's a good re-cap of the latest version of this story.

http://www.csnne.com/blog/patriots-talk/curran-another-black-eye-nfl-deflategate-quest

I’ll take the liberty to tighten up that explanation. Again, this is Schefter’s reporting from – it appears – one source.

The issue began when an NFL employee who is supposed to – presumably at game’s end – take the game-used balls complete with official markings and get them ready for charity auctioning, swiped one in the first half. A second league employee noticed a ball was missing. He went to fetch another to give to McNally so McNally could in turn give it to alternate official Greg Yette so it could be put in play.

Meanwhile, the guy running the scam saw there was a hubbub about the balls. He tried to get the ball he swiped back into circulation by giving that to McNally as well.

So McNally’s cruising around with two balls – one marked for the game and one unmarked – thanks to the scam the NFL employee was running.

Yette’s got balls flying at him. Marked. Unmarked. This McNally guy, a locker room attendant that looks like Charlie Weis’ kid brother, is the point man. Yette lets Kensil know.

The Patriots have been Kensil’s Moby Dick for years and now Kensil’s got ball shenanigans in progress in the AFC Championship Game. Kensil’s apparatus was probably on the field a full second before the rest of his body arrived.

Now it was open season on pressure-checking, inflation, deflation and accounting for all footballs like a mother hen counting her eggs.

And the guy stealing the balls from charity?

Schefter reports he has since been fired. For the AFC Championship foolishness? Nope. Because, Schefter said, “That was a pattern of behavior that exists in this particular individual…”

So Kensil – whose title by definition puts the swindling NFL employee under Kensil’s purview – allowed an individual who had a pattern of stealing footballs designated for charity and selling them for personal gain to be on the sidelines for the AFC Championship?

It would seem that’s where we are.

The whole thing was on video and turned into Wells investigation team, so we'll know when the report is final.  But I have an issue with journalists/reporters tossing about terms lightly.  League Official should be reserved for the folks at the field enforcing the rules of the game.  And the reserve Officials that have supporting duties. The Non Referee / Umpire type NFL personnel should never be referred to as League Officials. They're not.  Unless they are the reserve Officials assigned at playoff/Super Bowl games that are to substitute in case of an incident where the assigned Official(s) cannot complete their assignment(s) and perform other sideline ancillary items..  The upper tier League guys could be, but often have titles of their own.  The other League employees that are not Refs / Umpires should never be referred to as a League Official.

In my mind, the NFL needs to have security employees on the sidelines in addition to the Officials.  After that, why the need for anybody else?  The Teams can supply any other ancillary people to fulfill the other sideline duties. Under watch by NFL security and video cameras. Period.

The whole thing is interesting and what we all should have learned long ago is not to base the whole case on the latest leaked piece of half informed tidbits of information via sources that won't put their name on it and own it.  Because that source can say anything and not be accountable if they're were throwing out bait to get the wolves off the rabbit trail.

Does anybody want to comment on the topic of this thread here, or should we re-name the thread "Why does Bad Morty post here?".

I like to read rival team's forums because the point of view is often so startlingly different than Patriots' fan forums. I find it sometimes embarrassing when Pats fans hang out in a rival team's forum and act like the team's spokesman but this obsession with Bad Morty being here on the part of some Colts' fans strikes me as real Midwestern hayseed stuff.

The whole thing was on video and turned into Wells investigation team, so we'll know when the report is final.  But I have an issue with journalists/reporters tossing about terms lightly.  League Official should be reserved for the folks at the field enforcing the rules of the game.  And the reserve Officials that have supporting duties. The Non Referee / Umpire type NFL personnel should never be referred to as League Officials. They're not.  Unless they are the reserve Officials assigned at playoff/Super Bowl games that are to substitute in case of an incident where the assigned Official(s) cannot complete their assignment(s) and perform other sideline ancillary items..  The upper tier League guys could be, but often have titles of their own.  The other League employees that are not Refs / Umpires should never be referred to as a League Official.

In my mind, the NFL needs to have security employees on the sidelines in addition to the Officials.  After that, why the need for anybody else?  The Teams can supply any other ancillary people to fulfill the other sideline duties. Under watch by NFL security and video cameras. Period.

The whole thing is interesting and what we all should have learned long ago is not to base the whole case on the latest leaked piece of half informed tidbits of information via sources that won't put their name on it and own it.  Because that source can say anything and not be accountable if they're were throwing out bait to get the wolves off the rabbit trail.

What this "investigation" has uncovered and will continue to undercover is the gross underbelly of the NFL and its game operations as it pertains to ball handling or should I say lack of ball handling? What is inherent in this type of "investigation" is the NFL being exposed as IF the Pats have or had done anything to tamper with the balls why didn't the league catch it? Just how easy is it to tamper with balls given how many QBs have come out and said they doctor the balls? All of this from the get go was going to point back to the league and of course now we learn that the rogue suspect they have been looking for from the Pats exists in their official pool and had to be fired because of it. This is as about as ugly as it can get and could get uglier.

What this "investigation" has uncovered and will continue to undercover is the gross underbelly of the NFL and its game operations as it pertains to ball handling or should I say lack of ball handling? What is inherent in this type of "investigation" is the NFL being exposed as IF the Pats have or had done anything to tamper with the balls why didn't the league catch it? Just how easy is it to tamper with balls given how many QBs have come out and said they doctor the balls? All of this from the get go was going to point back to the league and of course now we learn that the rogue suspect they have been looking for from the Pats exists in their official pool and had to be fired because of it. This is as about as ugly as it can get and could get uglier.

Why do you keep calling it an "investigation"? It's an investigation. Stop trying to insinuate that just because there is a rogue referee that the NFL has fumbled the entire process. Wells did a pretty expansive investigation of the Miami bullying ordeal and I don't see you calling that an "investigation".

The whole thing was on video and turned into Wells investigation team, so we'll know when the report is final.  

Will we know? Does the NFL have any obligation to make the full results public?

I'm not trying to give you a hard time here, but the way this whole thing has been handled, I wonder if the "report" will be sanitized for the media/public...

Will we know? Does the NFL have any obligation to make the full results public?

I'm not trying to give you a hard time here, but the way this whole thing has been handled, I wonder if the "report" will be sanitized for the media/public...

Yes, it will be sanitized. The NFL hired the firm to do the "investigation."

Why do you keep calling it an "investigation"? It's an investigation. Stop trying to insinuate that just because there is a rogue referee that the NFL has fumbled the entire process. Wells did a pretty expansive investigation of the Miami bullying ordeal and I don't see you calling that an "investigation".

The last "investigation" the NFL treated us to was the Mueller investigation, which 100% exonerated the NFL and assured us that nobody in the NFL office had ever seen a video tape that TMZ was able to obtain effortlessly. Are you comfortable with there being quotation marks around the word investigation in that context?

The last "investigation" the NFL treated us to was the Mueller investigation, which 100% exonerated the NFL and assured us that nobody in the NFL office had ever seen a video tape that TMZ was able to obtain effortlessly. Are you comfortable with there being quotation marks around the word investigation in that context?

If anything is an "investigation" it's the events leading up to BB's my cousin vinny presser. "We investigated ourselves and we found we did nothing wrong."

One thing that the investigation has proved to us is that you absolutely can NOT trust ESPN's reporting of anything. They literally have people on shows refuting reports that they themselves just gave...it would almost be funny if it wasn't so damaging to those that they 'report' about. Everyone now is so quick to be 'the first' to report something that they don't even wait to see if anything is confirmed, then boom, viewers hear it and take it as fact. 

The reporting on this ball issue has been this way from the very beginning, and that is exactly why Patriots fans got so defensive at first when people were dragging them over the coals for something they heard and took as fact. The things being reported now are so far off what was originally reported, but unfortunately those first reports are what people cling to. Where the heck has Mort been since his 'breaking news' anyways? Where do these 'leaks' come from if this is supposed to be some legitimate investigation?

The whole thing is a circus, and unfortunately ESPN is the faction that made it so.

One thing that the investigation has proved to us is that you absolutely can NOT trust ESPN's reporting of anything. They literally have people on shows refuting reports that they themselves just gave...it would almost be funny if it wasn't so damaging to those that they 'report' about. Everyone now is so quick to be 'the first' to report something that they don't even wait to see if anything is confirmed, then boom, viewers hear it and take it as fact. 

The reporting on this ball issue has been this way from the very beginning, and that is exactly why Patriots fans got so defensive at first when people were dragging them over the coals for something they heard and took as fact. The things being reported now are so far off what was originally reported, but unfortunately those first reports are what people cling to. Where the heck has Mort been since his 'breaking news' anyways? Where do these 'leaks' come from if this is supposed to be some legitimate investigation?

The whole thing is a circus, and unfortunately ESPN is the faction that made it so.

I hear you on that, but frankly I think we've done a 180 on this in terms of who is being damaged. This has become such an exhibit of buffoonery that the Patriots are looking better by the day with each new embarrassing episode like this.

I hear you on that, but frankly I think we've done a 180 on this in terms of who is being damaged. This has become such an exhibit of buffoonery that the Patriots are looking better by the day with each new embarrassing episode like this.

Probably true to an extent, but I don't even care about that anymore...because regardless of what actually happened, its the reporting of it that I'm finding very disturbing. ESPN is like the Foxnews of sports reporting...just go out there and spew your narrative regardless of what's actually true. What it comes down to is that there are a lot of stupid people out there...and they will believe what they hear and if a someone is going to report something and singlehandedly blow it up to the levels we saw both with Spygate and now this, well...they better be right about what they are reporting before the masses just get the 'you heard it hear first' inaccurate reports and take it and run with it themselves. 

It's irresponsible and they should be ashamed. Like seriously, how do they send people on air to refute what they themselves literally just reported? It's an absolute joke.

That's nice.

"There are people who think Mike Kensil has it out for Bill Belichick and there are people who believe they can prove it."

Schefter on D&C minutes ago

Schefter also said there are people who think the Colts deflated the football. There are people who believe they can prove the Patriots videotaped their practices too, I would put all of those people in the same boat.

ESPN is like the Foxnews of sports reporting...just go out there and spew your narrative regardless of what's actually true. What it comes down to is that there are a lot of stupid people out there...and they will believe what they hear....

Oooooh, someone is showing their liberal colors, lol.

I actually hope it gets dragged on right up until a few days before the draft....

A) It's a good distraction for their organisation.

B) The longer it drags out, the more likely that NE did in fact do something knowingly and it's being thoroughly investigated.

& C) If it takes that long, NE will be planning their draft around having all their picks, and if they have a few picks taken away it'll completely ruin their draft plans.

Love sipping my morning coffee to stuff like this, it's better than the cartoon comics section of the paper by far!

Schefter also said there are people who think the Colts deflated the football. There are people who believe they can prove the Patriots videotaped their practices too, I would put all of those people in the same boat.

I would agree with you...and I would also include a few other groups as well.

Because isn't it interesting, now a month after the story first broke, how far away we are from what was first reported? You know...those first reports that you took as undeniable fact and then went on your 10-day smear campaign?

I would include those like you who legit went on a 'what Mort first reported is the gospel' tear through the message boards...after all, why is what some people believe now about the Colts deflating the football any more crazy than what people believed a month ago? Neither are true...so why is one more credible than the other? It's all based on nonsense...no more, no less.

They can possibly be stripped of draft pick.

No, they can't. It's in the rule book that even if they were found guilty of tampering, it's a $20,000 fine.

The only way the fine would exceed that is if Kraft, Belichick or Brady were caught lying about their knowledge, and it's obvious to me that they aren't, because they wouldnt have come out and made such strong public statements if they knew they were guilty of something.

The Patriots have never lied about anything, and even after spygate broke out Belichick admitted to it and apologized. Kraft also made a public statement about it and accepted the NFLs punishment which he originally disagreed with but said after speaking with Goodell and hearing his reasoning behind it about setting a precedent (making an example of the Pats as warning to the rest of the league), that he would accept it and move on.

They aren't liars, they have no history or track record of lying or being dishonest. There is simply no way that they would have made such bold denials of this in a press conference that would make world news if they knew they were guilty of something.

What most seem to forget than anything the media reports on is just speculation and rumor. There is still an investigation going on. The general opinion of Patriots fans is there is nothing there. All this crap coming out in the media is just that, crap. There seems to be a general opinion by the Patriot fans that this is all cut and dried over and nothing will be found. My opinion is where there is smoke, there is fire.