Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

T.Y. Hilton Rehires Drew Rosenhaus as his agent

indyagent17

If you want to keep your quality talent that you drafted and developed, eventually you're going to have to pay them. I don't think you let a player like Hilton walk unless he wants ridiculous money. 

I was hopeful that we could get him for $8-9m/year, but now it looks like it's going to be in the $10m/year range. Not the most exciting news of the day, but it's still tenable. Contract structure and guaranteed money is more important than an extra couple million a year, anyways.

Also, I'm not all that impressed with the other agent. His most noteworthy clients are Johnny Manziel and Geno Smith (before Geno fired him right after the draft), and some of his other guys are caught up in off the field stuff (Joseph Randle, for instance). Not that any of this is his fault, but he doesn't have an impressive book of business right now. Rosenhaus might be a greedy bloodsucker, but he's at least reputable. And some of his clients have taken early money at a little bit of a discount -- Gronkowski, Antonio Brown, Navorro Bowman...

I agree. . . I just don't want to go much over the 10 mil range.  

Just a little afraid that we might end up overpaying and giving him like 12 to 14 mil.

Then again Grigs got Davis for 9 Mil a year which is 9th on the list of CB contracts if you don't count Revis's option year.  And there are honestly a lot of CB's above him that Davis is clearly better then.

In fact the only CB's I don't think he's clearly better then are Revis and Sherm.  

So I suppose based on his short history of re-signing/extending star players Grigs has done pretty well.  

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. . . I just don't want to go much over the 10 mil range.  

Just a little afraid that we might end up overpaying and giving him like 12 to 14 mil.

Then again Grigs got Davis for 9 Mil a year which is 9th on the list of CB contracts if you don't count Revis's option year.  And there are honestly a lot of CB's above him that Davis is clearly better then.

In fact the only CB's I don't think he's clearly better then are Revis and Sherm.  

So I suppose based on his short history of re-signing/extending star players Grigs has done pretty well.  

I don't think he has a market for $12-14m/year. That's pretty absurd, and I can't imagine that even being a negotiating position, let alone actually happening.

http://www.spotrac.com/blog/contract-projections-for-upcoming-free-agents-extension-candidates/

That projection is from a month ago, but it's just under $10m/year. I could see that going up to $10.5m/year, at most. Of course, I don't know anything.

I don't think he has a market for $12-14m/year. That's pretty absurd, and I can't imagine that even being a negotiating position, let alone actually happening.

http://www.spotrac.com/blog/contract-projections-for-upcoming-free-agents-extension-candidates/

That projection is from a month ago, but it's just under $10m/year. I could see that going up to $10.5m/year, at most. Of course, I don't know anything.

You wouldn't think that but some WR contracts can get insane.  

I will point out that site projects a higher contract for Wilson then Luck.  I highly doubt that would happen.   But I'm all for it. . . the less money Andrew Luck takes, the more it helps the Colts.  

With thinking like that, Indy will be taken and not be able to compete for the SB.  

Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Percy Harvin, Mike Wallace, Dwayne Bowe, Vincent Jackson, and Brandon Marshall are not delivering Championships for their team.  

Jordy Nelson at 9.76 mil per year was the highest paid WR in either conference championship game.  

I really think 10 mil is where we should max out with TY.  If we get into the mindset that we HAVE to have him back then we will overpay and lose.

Only 2 of the 7 WR's at 10 mil or more APY managed to collect 1000 yards.  One was Calvin Johnson who's getting quarterback money and the other was Vincent Jackson who just barely edged out over 1000 yards.

Got to agree Valpo , cant sell the farm for one WR , this OL has to be upgraded a bit to protect Luck and open holes for RBs not to mention the D . 8 mil will work but 10 most definitely will not and 7 would be great.

You would make a terrible GM.

Pretty sure we all would bud. That's why you're on the computer just like everyone else. And he's right, TY is a good player but doesn't have the build to be a true #1..he's extremely small and seems to dissappear against big physical defenses. His speed allows him to put up big numbers...also started having inconsistent hands in the playoffs so I'm not all for giving TY a huge contract either just yet.

Pretty sure we all would bud. That's why you're on the computer just like everyone else. And he's right, TY is a good player but doesn't have the build to be a true #1..he's extremely small and seems to dissappear against big physical defenses. His speed allows him to put up big numbers...also started having inconsistent hands in the playoffs so I'm not all for giving TY a huge contract either just yet.

Who cares what allows him to put up big numbers if he is putting up big numbers?

Got to agree Valpo , cant sell the farm for one WR , this OL has to be upgraded a bit to protect Luck and open holes for RBs not to mention the D . 8 mil will work but 10 most definitely will not and 7 would be great.

I don't understand how the bolded is relevant. This is not a zero-sum, "if we pay Hilton, we can't upgrade the offensive line or the defense" kind of proposition.

With thinking like that, Indy will be taken and not be able to compete for the SB.  

Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Percy Harvin, Mike Wallace, Dwayne Bowe, Vincent Jackson, and Brandon Marshall are not delivering Championships for their team.  

Jordy Nelson at 9.76 mil per year was the highest paid WR in either conference championship game.  

I really think 10 mil is where we should max out with TY.  If we get into the mindset that we HAVE to have him back then we will overpay and lose.

Only 2 of the 7 WR's at 10 mil or more APY managed to collect 1000 yards.  One was Calvin Johnson who's getting quarterback money and the other was Vincent Jackson who just barely edged out over 1000 yards. 

Taking away Andrew Luck's biggest weapon isn't going to help win a Super Bowl either.  We are a better team with TY Hilton than without TY Hilton.

I don't understand how the bolded is relevant. This is not a zero-sum, "if we pay Hilton, we can't upgrade the offensive line or the defense" kind of proposition.

Its called living within the Cap no WR IMO is worth a 10 mil hit , name one that actually got a team where it needs to be the SB .10 might be livable but long term ? Don't think id do it. Everyone has an opinion this is mine. I love TY but not gonna downgrade team growth to keep him.

Demaryius Thomas & Dez Bryant's contract predictions = :woah:

Its called living within the Cap no WR IMO is worth a 10 mil hit , name one that actually got a team where it needs to be the SB .10 might be livable but long term ? Don't think id do it. Everyone has an opinion this is mine. I love TY but not gonna downgrade team growth to keep him.

One player doesn't get a team to the Super Bowl. That's a false premise.

This team has and will continue to have plenty of cap flexibility into the future, even after the 2012 class gets paid. If your opinion is that the team needs upgrades in other areas, then we agree. The issue is that paying Hilton, even at $10m/year (which is just a made up number at this point), doesn't preclude us from doing the other things we need to do. In other words, we don't have to choose between having a quality roster and keeping Hilton. We can do both.

His deal should mirror Cobbs' eventual new deal. He is seeking 9/ per.

TY is nice and all but he does have some deficiencies that cannot be overlooked. He drops catchable balls, loses the 50/50 ones, is not a red zone threat and doesn't consistently beat double teams.

Bad thing is we will not keep him with 7-8 million.  Too good and an a** for an agent.  :)

TY was one of the most consistent WRs in the league last season.

My only beef with TY, and the only reason I don't think he's a true #1 WR, is that he doesn't score enough TDs. Just 7 last year. And they tend to come in bunches. He scored 5 TDs in 2013, and they were all in 2 games. Out of 46 regular season games, he's been held scoreless in 32 of them, almost 70%. He's explosive, but he's also sort of streaky, and his skill-set isn't well suited for red zone production.

That's admittedly a nitpick; there have been other long time #1 options who didn't score a lot of TDs. But that would be my primary angle if I were negotiating for the Colts.

My only beef with TY, and the only reason I don't think he's a true #1 WR, is that he doesn't score enough TDs. Just 7 last year. And they tend to come in bunches. He scored 5 TDs in 2013, and they were all in 2 games. Out of 46 regular season games, he's been held scoreless in 32 of them, almost 70%. He's explosive, but he's also sort of streaky, and his skill-set isn't well suited for red zone production.

That's admittedly a nitpick; there have been other long time #1 options who didn't score a lot of TDs. But that would be my primary angle if I were negotiating for the Colts.

I agree with this argument , although im a fan.

Bingo. His numbers are very misleading if you ask me. He puts up good yards with very little TDs. Alot of games he'll be completely quiet through most of the game and then outta nowhere we'll catch the defense off guard and hit a deep ball. He tends to go off against the bad teams but when we play teams with physical DBs, TY literally does turn into a ghost. I love TY but I'm not gonna be a Homer either. I wouldn't mind saying goodbye TY for real if he wants 10mil per. He doesn't have Marvin Harrisons hands either like a lot of people dream for him too.

TY definitely did this to make sure he gets top$ on his next contract!  That really sucks...  Not that he isn't good but if they're asking   10-12M I would almost say let him walk, if Moncrief and Carter do really well next season!  Why wont TY be a team player and take a discount?

If you had the opportunity to make 10's of millions of $ for the next 5 years, guaranteed, wouldn't you do it? Especially knowing that Football is a cruel mistress and any snap could be your last. TY is just looking out for TY and his family, you can't blame him for wanting to get paid, lord knows I would want to get paid like that if I could.

Yeah so the question becomes, do we want to have a #1 receiver or do we want to have a receiving group like the Seahawks.

The seahawks are a prime example you don't need a #1 receiver to be succesful.. They directed their money elsewhere and are stil dominant..

Oh, and their qb seems to do just fine with those receivers, and we all know we have a better one in indy, don't we? ;)

I can't believe there are people in this thread saying we don't need TY.

Depends on what price. . . If you get into the mindset that we HAVE to bring this guy back at any cost. . . his agent will take you for everything.  

That's why I'm saying that if he wants much over 10 mil we should let him walk.  

Who was the last receiver to be earning big money at the time to play in a Superbowl and who was the last to win?  

I'd rather keep drafting WR's on day 1 and 2 then give much more then 10 mil to one.  

The seahawks are a prime example you don't need a #1 receiver to be succesful.. They directed their money elsewhere and are stil dominant..

Oh, and their qb seems to do just fine with those receivers, and we all know we have a better one in indy, don't we? ;)

Not to mention look at the investment the Pats made at the WR position?  

Danny Amendola 4.7 million cap hit last year - And he's likely to get cut

Julian Edelman  2.75 million cap hit last year

Brandon Lafell  2 million cap hit last year.  

Not to mention look at the investment the Pats made at the WR position?  

Danny Amendola 4.7 million cap hit last year - And he's likely to get cut

Julian Edelman  2.75 million cap hit last year

Brandon Lafell  2 million cap hit last year.  

To be fair, Julian Edelman is probably the most underpaid WR in the league considering the production they have had out of him for the last few years. Yeah Tom Brady is throwing him the rock, but he still almost always produces for them.

Depends on what price. . . If you get into the mindset that we HAVE to bring this guy back at any cost. . . his agent will take you for everything.  

That's why I'm saying that if he wants much over 10 mil we should let him walk.  

Who was the last receiver to be earning big money at the time to play in a Superbowl and who was the last to win?  

I'd rather keep drafting WR's on day 1 and 2 then give much more then 10 mil to one.  

Percy Harvin. 

Russell Wilson does just fine because he's got one of the best running backs in football and an elite defense. Russell Wilson will never be Andrew Luck, we have Andrew Luck so if you want to try to become a "power run team" while having Andrew Luck then by all means, let Hilton walk and give up our next 10 first round picks for Seattle's whole offensive line and Marshawn Lynch.

Russell Wilson does just fine because he's got one of the best running backs in football and an elite defense. Russell Wilson will never be Andrew Luck, we have Andrew Luck so if you want to try to become a "power run team" while having Andrew Luck then by all means, let Hilton walk and give up our next 10 first round picks for Seattle's whole offensive line and Marshawn Lynch.

Overreact much? Also.......Wilson does just fine half the time DESPITE his horrible pass blocking O Line and a bunch of journeyman quality wr's masquerading as starters