Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

T.Y. Hilton Rehires Drew Rosenhaus as his agent

indyagent17

I've been hoping we could get TYH for less than $10 Mill.

But now that he's gone back to Rosenhaus,   I'm sure that's now the new target for TYH.

So,  we're looking at 5/50 and roughly 25 in guarantees.

That's the cost of doing business.

To be honest, when the cap goes up by about $10 mil. over the next 2 years at least, a $10 mil. average for TY will not be as bad as it sounds.

If we don't have anyone to take the top off that is on the same page as your franchise QB, all your underneath options are less effective. With an aging Reggie and Moncrief still getting up to pace, apart from hitting on journeymen for 1-2 year deals, the thing that makes underneath options tick is T.Y.

Fleener and Allen are less valuable if we don't have T.Y., their value is tied to T.Y. on the receiving front, no two ways about it.

QBs getting $18-20 mil. and #1 wideouts getting $10 mil. per year will be a norm we have to get used to. Whether someone thinks T.Y. is #1 WR or not, Belichick's first goal is take T.Y. out much like he bracketed Marvin with a better safety Rodney Harrison and CB TY Law, that tells you what his value is in the minds of opposing coaches.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Horrible? His line has Okung, Unger in it.

Okung missed 2 games I believe only, Unger missed 10  (  but he only missed 3 the year before and Okung only missed 2 the year before and the Seahawks still gave up 44 sacks last year...52 this year, Its because there WR's cant get open and they are not a very good pass blocking O Line....Carpenter is not good

Overreact much? Also.......Wilson does just fine half the time DESPITE his horrible pass blocking O Line and a bunch of journeyman quality wr's masquerading as starters

Well if you want to be the Seahawks you might as well let Luck walk after next year because obviously we don't need a top QB. Let's just stockpile more rolling balls of butcher knives and use all of our picks on offensive linemen.

Well if you want to be the Seahawks you might as well let Luck walk after next year because obviously we don't need a top QB. Let's just stockpile more rolling balls of butcher knives and use all of our picks on offensive linemen.

By all means continue with your over reactions, They are amusing so far

Okung missed 2 games I believe only, Unger missed 10 ( but he only missed 3 the year before and Okung only missed 2 the year before and the Seahawks still gave up 44 sacks last year...52 this year, Its because there WR's cant get open and they are not a very good pass blocking O Line....Carpenter is not good

You jumbled up that post. How many games Unger and Okung missed? Lol

Bingo. His numbers are very misleading if you ask me. He puts up good yards with very little TDs. Alot of games he'll be completely quiet through most of the game and then outta nowhere we'll catch the defense off guard and hit a deep ball. He tends to go off against the bad teams but when we play teams with physical DBs, TY literally does turn into a ghost. I love TY but I'm not gonna be a Homer either. I wouldn't mind saying goodbye TY for real if he wants 10mil per. He doesn't have Marvin Harrisons hands either like a lot of people dream for him too.

I don't really agree with that. I don't think his numbers are misleading at all, and I don't think he disappears against good defenses. 

My only beef is that he doesn't score a lot of TDs, and like I said, that's more of a nitpick than a legitimate complaint. Andre Johnson, Steve Smith, Reggie Wayne, all examples of top notch receivers that weren't TD machines, and all three of them were different kind of players with different physical profiles. 

I don't really agree with that. I don't think his numbers are misleading at all, and I don't think he disappears against good defenses.

My only beef is that he doesn't score a lot of TDs, and like I said, that's more of a nitpick than a legitimate complaint. Andre Johnson, Steve Smith, Reggie Wayne, all examples of top notch receivers that weren't TD machines, and all three of them were different kind of players with different physical profiles.

I haven't missed a single game of TYs career yet and I've watched plenty of games where I'm just like..where's TY? Oh ya he's getting blanketed by a 6'+ corner at the line. He's consistent with his yards because he always seems to get open when the defense is gassed and that's when he gets the majority of his deep balls in. The type of player TY is, is not the type of WR you pay $10mil per too. I do love his energy late in games tho, I just wouldn't pay him that type of coin because he is not a true #1. Regular season yards don't mean squat. It's the playoffs that matter and from what I've seen, he's not the same player when the defense focuses on him. He still needs to progress in my mind before he gets a big pay day from our Colts.

I haven't missed a single game of TYs career yet and I've watched plenty of games where I'm just like..where's TY? Oh ya he's getting blanketed by a 6'+ corner at the line. He's consistent with his yards because he always seems to get open when the defense is gassed and that's when he gets the majority of his deep balls in. The type of player TY is, is not the type of WR you pay $10mil per too. I do love his energy late in games tho, I just wouldn't pay him that type of coin because he is not a true #1. Regular season yards don't mean squat. It's the playoffs that matter and from what I've seen, he's not the same player when the defense focuses on him. He still needs to progress in my mind before he gets a big pay day from our Colts.

TY is one of only 2 receivers in league history to average over 100 yards per game in the post-season.

TY is one of only 2 receivers in league history to average over 100 yards per game in the post-season.

Obviously you are just a Homer for TY. And that's not even true. In 2012 he only put up 66 yards in one game. Just this year he put up 211 yards in 3 games. In 2013 he put 300 yards in 2 games with most of those yards coming off deep balls against the Chiefs late in the game. Where is he at in the first half of games? Maybe if he could get open consistently we wouldn't go into the majority of all our playoff games on the wrong end of the score. Fun stat, TY had over 20 catches for gains of over 20 yards this year. His longest catch for every season has been over 70 yards. He's the deep ball master, I'll give him that. But that's not worth 10mil per. If we want deep balls we can bring back Donny Avery

You are right tho on the 100 yards per game average. But he doesn't do that every game. He stockpiled the majority of his yards against a winded and beat up chiefs team. I think he had over 200 that game with most of them coming from the deep balls. There's no consistency in his average.

Obviously you are just a Homer for TY. And that's not even true. In 2012 he only put up 66 yards in one game. Just this year he put up 211 yards in 3 games. In 2013 he put 300 yards in 2 games with most of those yards coming off deep balls against the Chiefs late in the game. Where is he at in the first half of games? Maybe if he could get open consistently we wouldn't go into the majority of all our playoff games on the wrong end of the score. Fun stat, TY had over 20 catches for gains of over 20 yards this year. His longest catch for every season has been over 70 yards. He's the deep ball master, I'll give him that. But that's not worth 10mil per. If we want deep balls we can bring back Donny Avery

TY Hilton = Donnie Avery.

Whew. That's one scorching take.

TY Hilton = Donnie Avery.

Whew. That's one scorching take.

Did I say that buddy? Don't think I did. I said if we want a player to give us a deep ball late in the game we can just bring Avery back for much cheaper. We need WRs that can beat man coverage and double teams. Try not to be such a Homer because you want him to become Marvin so badly and yall love his little TY celebration. If the Colts put out big money for a WR, which we don't even need because we want to be a power run team, then he better be bigger than 5'9 170lbs. And bring more to the table than just speed. He's also shown me that nerves get to him in the playoffs because he dropped a lot of balls this year.

You are right tho on the 100 yards per game average. But he doesn't do that every game. He stockpiled the majority of his yards against a winded and beat up chiefs team. I think he had over 200 that game with most of them coming from the deep balls. There's no consistency in his average.

Your argument is based by excluding his deep balls.

TY's only game without three receptions this season was against the Titans. That was the last game of the season when he was injured, and only played half the game.

If you're trying to argue that he would be a detriment to the team if he was signed for 10 mil a year, I'd argue differently. Him and Luck have great chemistry, and both will get better together.

1300 yards in 14 games is nothing to laugh at and would be very hard to replace.

I don't really have much to say, other than that I disagree with your characterization of Hilton. I think he's a really good player. I also think $10m/year is a little steep, but that's the cost of doing business. As I said earlier, you don't draft and develop good talent, then let them walk over a matter of a million or two a year. It's all about contract structure, and between our good cap management and increasing cap values, we'll be fine. 

Did I say that buddy? Don't think I did. I said if we want a player to give us a deep ball late in the game we can just bring Avery back for much cheaper. We need WRs that can beat man coverage and double teams. Try not to be such a Homer because you want him to become Marvin so badly and yall love his little TY celebration. If the Colts put out big money for a WR, which we don't even need because we want to be a power run team, then he better be bigger than 5'9 170lbs. And bring more to the table than just speed. He's also shown me that nerves get to him in the playoffs because he dropped a lot of balls this year.

1,300 yard, pro-bowl receiver is only good for a deep-ball late in the game.

Whew. 

1,300 yard, pro-bowl receiver is only good for a deep-ball late in the game.

Whew.

I didn't say he's only good for a deep ball either. Lol dang boy you like putting words in peoples mouths. I said that's what he is best at and how he keeps his average up. He should get those yards as most of our passing plays now were designed for him and he is Andrews main target since Reggie went down. TY is a good player and I like him alot. But not for 10mil. Answer me this, why should we be paying an undersized WR huge $$ when our plans are to be a power run team? Kinda contradicts our plans.

I didn't say he's only good for a deep ball either. Lol dang boy you like putting words in peoples mouths. I said that's what he is best at and how he keeps his average up. He should get those yards as most of our passing plays now were designed for him and he is Andrews main target since Reggie went down. TY is a good player and I like him alot. But not for 10mil. Answer me this, why should we be paying an undersized WR huge $$ when our plans are to be a power run team? Kinda contradicts our plans.

You're under the impression that we're ever going to be a power run team.

Crux of the matter right here, IMO. The answer is because he's a really good player.

Is he a really good player? Or is he the product of having a great QB, along with having the majority of the plays drawn up for him since Reggie started declining? And you didn't highlight my full sentence...I said why should we pay an undersized WR big money when it's clear that we want to be a power run team. We traded our 1st round pick not long ago for a RB and it's already being talked about that we might be eyeing a RB in the first this year. Doesn't make much sense to me. Fans need to stop falling for player personalities and realize that you don't need to pay top $ to WRs to win. I don't see why everyone wants another high powered passing attack when we had that with Peyton, and we seen what that got us. 1 chip when it should've have been ATLEAST 3. Those regular season stats are cute and all but that's not what wins Superbowls. We need to put that money into the freakin defense for once. I'm tired of getting bulldozed in the playoffs! Is TY gonna go out there and tackle people? No.. Did the Pats need a 10mil a year WR to smack us any of the times we've played them in this era?...no.

You're under the impression that we're ever going to be a power run team.

Hmm..when we trade away a 1st rounder for a RB (bowling ball of butcher knives) that kinda gives me the impression we wanna be a power run team. What a shame that he sucks. Now we're eyeing Gore and possibly Gordon in the first? Shows me that we want to run the football. That passing attack gets us nowhere in the playoffs because none of them can beat man coverage or a double team. I also don't think we should be giving a WR big money when our defense gives up over 600 yards rushing to the Patriots in 3 games. Yall just wanna see a repeat of the Peyton era or somethin??

If you had the opportunity to make 10's of millions of $ for the next 5 years, guaranteed, wouldn't you do it? Especially knowing that Football is a cruel mistress and any snap could be your last. TY is just looking out for TY and his family, you can't blame him for wanting to get paid, lord knows I would want to get paid like that if I could.

He deserves to get paid, but I just don't think he's worth more than 10M.  Yes, he's great but I don't see TY as good as a Dez Bryant or Calvin Johnson.  People tend to forget WR's can be made by their QB.  Case in point Eric Decker Julian Edelman are just a couple mediocre WR's made to look good by Manning and Brady.  Rodgers and Brees are notorious for doing it also.  I'm not comparing those guys to TY, because he is far more talented, but in no way should TY be in the category of top WR's.  Luck is a big reason for his successes. 

He deserves to get paid, but I just don't think he's worth more than 10M.  Yes, he's great but I don't see TY as good as a Dez Bryant or Calvin Johnson.  People tend to forget WR's can be made by their QB.  Case in point Eric Decker Julian Edelman are just a couple mediocre WR's made to look good by Manning and Brady.  Rodgers and Brees are notorious for doing it also.  I'm not comparing those guys to TY, because he is far more talented, but in no way should TY be in the category of top WR's.  Luck is a big reason for his successes. 

I somewhat agree with you, I don't think he should get paid $10m either.

All my point was, was if you had the chance to earn that kinda mega money, wouldnt you try to as well? You can't blame him for trying to maximise his earnings is all I was trying to say.

Is he a really good player?

Yes, he is.

Or is he the product of having a great QB, along with having the majority of the plays drawn up for him since Reggie started declining?   

No, he's not a "product" of Andrew Luck, but yes, he benefits from playing with him. Luck benefits from playing with TY, also. That's the symbiotic nature of the QB/WR relationship.

And you didn't highlight my full sentence...I said why should we pay an undersized WR big money when it's clear that we want to be a power run team.

Not to be short, but you can forget the qualifier. The answer is we should pay him because he's a really good player.

We traded our 1st round pick not long ago for a RB and it's already being talked about that we might be eyeing a RB in the first this year. Doesn't make much sense to me.

Entirely irrelevant.

Fans need to stop falling for player personalities and realize that you don't need to pay top $ to WRs to win. I don't see why everyone wants another high powered passing attack when we had that with Peyton, and we seen what that got us. 1 chip when it should've have been ATLEAST 3. Those regular season stats are cute and all but that's not what wins Superbowls. We need to put that money into the freakin defense for once. I'm tired of getting bulldozed in the playoffs! Is TY gonna go out there and tackle people? No.. Did the Pats need a 10mil a year WR to smack us any of the times we've played them in this era?...no.

You should really come off this angle. This is not about being a Hilton homer. He's a really good player, plain and simple. That doesn't mean he's the best receiver of all time, ever, and it doesn't mean he's going into the Hall of Fame.

And overall, paying Hilton doesn't mean that we can't improve the run game and the defense. I said earlier, this is not a zero-sum, either/or proposition. We can do both.

I somewhat agree with you, I don't think he should get paid $10m either.

All my point was, was if you had the chance to earn that kinda mega money, wouldnt you try to as well? You can't blame him for trying to maximise his earnings is all I was trying to say.

I don't blame him one bit for wanting to get paid, but there is a fine line between accepting a good salary and cashing in on what you're worth.  Personally if you try to get as much money as you deserve, that individual player isn't looking at the teams best interest!

I don't blame him one bit for wanting to get paid, but there is a fine line between accepting a good salary and cashing in on what you're worth. Personally if you try to get as much money as you deserve, that individual player isn't looking at the teams best interest!

You gonna blame Luck for taking what he deserves when he signs an 8 year $200M contract?

To be honest, when the cap goes up by about $10 mil. over the next 2 years at least, a $10 mil. average for TY will not be as bad as it sounds.

If we don't have anyone to take the top off that is on the same page as your franchise QB, all your underneath options are less effective. With an aging Reggie and Moncrief still getting up to pace, apart from hitting on journeymen for 1-2 year deals, the thing that makes underneath options tick is T.Y.

Fleener and Allen are less valuable if we don't have T.Y., their value is tied to T.Y. on the receiving front, no two ways about it.

QBs getting $18-20 mil. and #1 wideouts getting $10 mil. per year will be a norm we have to get used to. Whether someone thinks T.Y. is #1 WR or not, Belichick's first goal is take T.Y. out much like he bracketed Marvin with a better safety Rodney Harrison and CB TY Law, that tells you what his value is in the minds of opposing coaches.

Bingo. The deal will appear crippling up front, and he may be angling for a new contract before it is completed. I am more concerned about the years (I want 6 and Drew will angle for 4-5). Losing him would be one of the biggest hardships to Lucks continued development that the team could throw at him. Using the low TD argument is just wrong. If TD totals were down....and TY's were low, then you may have a bit of a point. Just because the situations in the redzone and teams figuring out that you do NOT let the little so and so get behind you (trying to sound like a DC) bringing TD's to other players, does not diminish his value. The amount of WR's that can get separation, lay out for mind numbing catches, and crack open a defense, are fewer than you can count on your 2 hands. Do not let that kid get away. 

If a #1 WR is double covered in a playoff game, do you throw the prayer and hope he comes up with it, even if it is Megatron or do you throw it to the guy that has more favorable matchups because of 1-on-1s across the field due to that #1 WR drawing coverage towards himself? The answer is easy if you don't want to chance an INT against elite teams in the playoffs.

However, some fans here do not understand that the other guys having 1-on-1s across the field should be winning their match ups and making teams pay for doubling TY. But we cannot. The hope is, however, that Moncrief and our 2 TEs eventually can, and hopefully the numbers favoring the running game can be exploited with a better run blocking OL forcing safeties up more.

Our offense's inability to run the ball or our #2/#3/#4 options' inability to make the 1-on-1s count with receptions should not take away the importance of T.Y. drawing that double coverage. Guess what, if T.Y. cannot draw that double coverage, match ups favor the D right away and we can't run or pass underneath.