Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What was the greatest colts catch?

RockThatBlue

The Garcon one vs the redskins one handed one is up there for me. It was almost identical to Odells

Harrison had that crazy catch (can't remember the year) against the titans where he dived for a crazy one handed catch.

Reggie's one handed catch against the packers a few years ago was amazing too.

What catch was the greatest in your opinions?

What about Marlin Jackson....Bob Lamey on the call ...."over the middle and INTERCEPTED, MARLIN JACKSON INTERCEPTED THE BALL, THE COLTS ARE GOING TO THE SUPER BOWL!!!"

Tell me that didn't give you goosebumps reading that lol

That was definitely my favorite defensive catch ever lol.

Those are all good choices but I'll throw in the Marvin catch against New England in either 2005 or 2006 in Foxboro and a Reggie Wayne catch where he tiptoed the sideline against Philadelphia on SNF in 2006.

yea it was this one with Ellis Hobbs covering him. It was the only time I saw marvelous talk trash after a catch. Or the one that rivals that catch is reef giw Wayne's catch over Charles Woodson in that epic comeback and Lucks coming out party

I'd go with the Marvin one in NE where afterwards he spiked the ball and it hit Vrabel in the facemask. An honorable mention would be Aaron Moorhead's behind the back grab

That gets my vote.

He also had a great one against the Raiders where it was passed to Dilger and the pass was behind Dilger but he tipped it one hand and Marvin caught it in the back of the end-zone off the slight deflection and kept his feet down and inbounds.  The Colts went on to lose the game so it's forgotten but it was an amazing catch.  Honestly I think we have forgotten how great Marvin was as a whole.  He's gotten lost in the Manning shadow too much IMO. 

I'll go with Reggie's 2nd catch on the play where he caught the ball and was fighting for extra yards vs N.E. In the 2006 afc championship game. When he got hit and the ball shot straight up in the air I thought oh sh!t there goes the greatest come back and a chance for the superbowl. Somo how Reggie grabbed the ball and got to the ground with it. When that happened i thought oh sh!t the Colts are going to pull this off.

I'll go with Reggie's 2nd catch on the play where he caught the ball and was fighting for extra yards vs N.E. In the 2006 afc championship game. When he got hit and the ball shot straight up in the air I thought oh crud there goes the greatest come back and a chance for the superbowl. Somo how Reggie grabbed the ball and got to the ground with it. When that happened i thought oh crud the Colts are going to pull this off.

You beat me by four minutes.

Offensive: 2006 AFC championship game when Reggie lost that ball in the air and was surrounded by 3/4 Patriots and came back down with it, keeping the drive/game alive and getting the 1st down.

Defensive: Marlin Jackson.

Same game, back to back drives.

I wrote in another thread if anyone had seen "NFL's Greatest Games: the 2006 AFC Championship game". I saw it on ESPN and DVR'd most of it. Was wondering where I can find it as I am coming up short on amazon, itunes, google. I own the championship season dvd and path to the playoffs dvd as well as so many itunes highlights of the game but was wondering where I can find that 90 minutes NFL Film.

You beat me by four minutes.

Offensive: 2006 AFC championship game when Reggie lost that ball in the air and was surrounded by 3/4 Patriots and came back down with it, keeping the drive/game alive and getting the 1st down.

Defensive: Marlin Jackson.

Same game, back to back drives.

I wrote in another thread if anyone had seen "NFL's Greatest Games: the 2006 AFC Championship game". I saw it on ESPN and DVR'd most of it. Was wondering where I can find it as I am coming up short on amazon, itunes, google. I own the championship season dvd and path to the playoffs dvd as well as so many itunes highlights of the game but was wondering where I can find that 90 minutes NFL Film.

As Big Foot would say. "You beat me by four minutes. you did"

To me the best catch was Reggie's against the Eagles.  Maybe there were more important ones in the Colts history but that one to me was the best I have seen.  One handed (left hand at that) with a db right there and got the toe-tap in.  An incredible play.

That gets my vote.

He also had a great one against the Raiders where it was passed to Dilger and the pass was behind Dilger but he tipped it one hand and Marvin caught it in the back of the end-zone off the slight deflection and kept his feet down and inbounds.  The Colts went on to lose the game so it's forgotten but it was an amazing catch.  Honestly I think we have forgotten how great Marvin was as a whole.  He's gotten lost in the Manning shadow too much IMO. 

The catch you mention is at ~2:58 in that video.  The routes in that video are insane, but that catch vs. OAK is the catch that defines how athletic Marvin was in my mind.

In more recent memory, the 3 that stick out most to me are Da'Rick Rogers' catch vs. KC in the big comeback in last year's playoffs:

Reggie's preseason game catch vs. NYG:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZSbLUblNAM

And I can't find a good video of it (and the catch wasn't spectacular), but Reggie's extra effort to reach across the goal line with his orange gloves and score vs. Green Bay to help us in our comeback victory during Pagano's first game away.

The Marvin catch against NE is probably the definitive catch that sticks out in my mind. The Da'Rick Rogers catch in the wild card was so big. Reggie has had so many, "how did he do that"-s that it's hard to register. Dallas Clark had the one hander against the Bengals in the "Lost Year."

The first catch in this highlight reel is one of my favorite Colts-Pats moments. I think it shows just how much concentration Reggie has.

Defensively, there was a catch by Bob Sanders, against Tennessee, where he hit the receiver in the air, and threw him down with such force that the ball popped up in the air, Bob caught it, as he landed, and took off with it. 

Offensively, Marvin's catch again the Pats in Foxboro, juggling at the out of bounds line in the end zone. 

What about Marlin Jackson....Bob Lamey on the call ...."over the middle and INTERCEPTED, MARLIN JACKSON INTERCEPTED THE BALL, THE COLTS ARE GOING TO THE SUPER BOWL!!!"

Tell me that didn't give you goosebumps reading that lol

I was about to post Reggie's TD catch in the Super Bowl, (not in terms of aesthetics just for importance.) but this is actually the correct answer.

The Garcon one vs the redskins one handed one is up there for me. It was almost identical to Odells

Harrison had that crazy catch (can't remember the year) against the titans where he dived for a crazy one handed catch.

Reggie's one handed catch against the packers a few years ago was amazing too.

What catch was the greatest in your opinions?

The Harrison catch was in 2003.

The greatest Colt catch was John Mackey catching the tipped ball in the Super Bowl as it lead to the Colts winning the game.

the greatest NON Catch was Jimmy Orr forlornly waving in the end zone, all alone, and Earl Morral looked at him on the flea flicker, then threw an interception to Johnny Samples on the other side (Super Bowl III). Colts dominated that game, but lost 16-7. Samples had Morral's number all day..