Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Robert Mathis Update... (Not the best news)

NewColtsFan

Found this over on ESPN.com (NON-premium, open to everyone)  in Mike Wells weekend mailbag.

Someone asked about Mathis and this was the response....

Mike Wells:   I was told Robert Mathis didn't re-tear his Achilles (there were some rumors about that), but he did suffer a slight setback.  The road to recovery for him is a long one because he's no longer in his mid-20's.  Mathis will be 34 years old on Feb. 26.  Some have mentioned how Baltimore's Terrell Suggs was able to recover quickly from his torn Achilles.  Suggs tore his in April 2012 and was back on the field by Oct. 21 of that same year.  ESPN.com Ravens reporter Jamison Hensley said Suggs wasn't back to his explosive ways until the following season.  Suggs was also only 29 years old when he suffered the injury.  It's unknown what type of player Mathis will be once he returns to the field for the Colts.

The line in bold was done by me,  not Mike Wells.   I wanted to make sure it was easy to read.

I would not be surprised if Mathis is NOT up to speed and ready to go by week 1 in September.

It might take Robert a little longer to be ready to go....   Jonathon Newsome is the next man up!

This is why I'm saying we need to add a star OLB. If by some miracle Justin Houston reaches the open market, we'd be stupid not to go after him. Other than him we could look at guys like Orakpo, Worilds, JPP, and Hardy (I think he can stand up personally). Another possibility is Aldon Smith. If the 49ers really want to trade him, we better be trying to land him.

I believe that this was part of the thinking when they chose Bjoern. They hit big time with Newsome IMO.

We'd be so much better off though if we had signed Dumervil and taken Rhodes. I don't think Werner will ever be anything more than Erik Walden. Your right on Newsome. Lets hope he takes that next step next season and nets 10 plus sacks.

This is why I'm saying we need to add a star OLB. If by some miracle Justin Houston reaches the open market, we'd be stupid not to go after him. Other than him we could look at guys like Orakpo, Worilds, JPP, and Hardy (I think he can stand up personally). Another possibility is Aldon Smith. If the 49ers really want to trade him, we better be trying to land him.

after season long suspensions of guys like Blackmon and Gordon, I would stay away from guys with two strikes.

I don't think I want Orakpo he seems too injury prone good when healthy but not sure I'd gamble there give our FA failings in the past.

I love these "we are stupid if we don't do X" posts.  They are usually hopelessly wrong.  First off Houston is going nowhere.  Secondly, the guys you list all have huge red flags or frankly are not very good.

We'd be so much better off though if we had signed Dumervil and taken Rhodes. I don't think Werner will ever be anything more than Erik Walden. Your right on Newsome. Lets hope he takes that next step next season and nets 10 plus sacks.

AHh, the benefit of hindsight - isn't she wonderful?

I love these "we are stupid if we don't do X" posts. They are usually hopelessly wrong. First off Houston is going nowhere. Secondly, the guys you list all have huge red flags or frankly are not very good.

what's JPP's red flags? I can't think of any off the top of my head but I might have just forgot.

I love these "we are stupid if we don't do X" posts.  They are usually hopelessly wrong.  First off Houston is going nowhere.  Secondly, the guys you list all have huge red flags or frankly are not very good.

I agree there is no "must" guy out there for us. But we do need to make some upgrades if we want to take that next step. As far as Dummervil goes to me that was a no brainer. He wasn't a guy that was ever suppose to hit the market. Baltimore got very lucky to have him even available. I know people think Elway wanted to not re-sign him but I don't believe that to be the case at all. That said a couple years ago Dummervil wasn't that big of a need when we had Robert playing at such a high level. It's clear now that we need to prepare for life without Robert...and accept the fact that he may be more like Reggie was for us this year than say the 20 sack guy he was before.