Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jason La Confora: Free Agency is Fool's Gold

Jason la Confora offers a little perspective on free agency, including examples of teams that spent big and failed to even sniff the playoffs. Not that the Colts need to be reminded that high-priced free agents rarely seem to work out.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/25065703/ask-dolphins-titans-why-splurging-on-free-agents-is-a-losing-strategy

I'm not sure it's always about the players under performing after they cash in or the over valuing of some players. I mean yes, both of these scenarios happen from time to time, however a lot has to do with coaching and scheme fits. Like some teams do, they:

1) don't select players already tailored to their scheme

2) don't put players in the best position to succeed, i.e. utilize their strengths

I can't stand articles like this. I could site example after example of draft picks failing.....doesn't mean the draft is fools gold. Do the patriots win the SB without revis and Browner? Nope. Do the Seahawks win the SB without Michael Bennett and Cliff Avril? No way. Oh, and who did the Seahawks beat? The broncos, a team vaulted to the SB by free agency.

And I love how he says ask Daniel Snyder, Jerry Jones about free agency. Shocking that those two failed miserably in free agency.

the reason they don't qork is because they're worth only half the offered contract

I have no idea why everyone gets so worked up over contracts.  Maybe it is just easiest thing to complain about but to me it is a lot of wasted energy. 

In the case of Landry, he did not perform well enough to retain his spot no matter his contract. 

I can't stand articles like this. I could site example after example of draft picks failing.....doesn't mean the draft is fools gold. Do the patriots win the SB without revis and Browner? Nope. Do the Seahawks win the SB without Michael Bennett and Cliff Avril? No way. Oh, and who did the Seahawks beat? The broncos, a team vaulted to the SB by free agency.

And I love how he says ask Daniel Snyder, Jerry Jones about free agency. Shocking that those two failed miserably in free agency.

Mostly agree. . . you can't build the core stars of your team through FA, but you can fill out a lot of holes in it. . . It's all about balance.

The main thing that's worth pointing out is that he's talking about the Dolphins and the Titans signings in 2013. . . I don't know that I could say it about the Titans for sure but everyone knew that some of those players where getting overpaid.  Wallace chief among them. 

I think the thing that hurts most in FA is teams get fixated on a certain player and decide that they HAVE to bring that player in.  This usually happens most with the biggest names.  So they give contracts that are way too big just to make sure that player doesn't leave the building and signs with them.

To be successful in FA you have to know when to say no and not get too fixated on one particular player.  It's ok to want that player but if he has pie in the sky contract demands you have to just let him walk out of the building and see if he can get that contract someplace else.

I think player agents can smell desperation in GM's. . . And when they smell it from a GM they will take them for everything they can get.  

Nothing wrong with FA, you just have to approach it with a cool head and not get too caught up in hype.  

I agree 100%.  La Confora makes it seem like you shouldn't look for big names on the free agent market, which is really stupid of him to say (one of the reasons I don't like La Confora).  Look at what Cliff Avril and Michael Bennett did for the Seahawks.  Or look at what Browner and Revis did for the Pats.  Peyton Manning was a free agent and he's done pretty well in Denver.  It's not a matter of ignoring big names in free agency.  The key is finding guys who fit your system and having coaches who can utilize their talents. 

Thing is, 95% of free agents have a flaw, or several flaws, that is making them available. Whether it's injuries, diminished effectiveness, or other things, there are little warts on pretty much every free agent. Some have big warts. And a big percentage of free agents don't work out.

Still, doesn't mean you can't make good decisions and improve your team through free agency. Teams do so every year.

I'm not sure it's always about the players under performing after they cash in or the over valuing of some players. I mean yes, both of these scenarios happen from time to time, however a lot has to do with coaching and scheme fits. Like some teams do, they:

1) don't select players already tailored to their scheme

2) don't put players in the best position to succeed, i.e. utilize their strengths

That is the case sometimes. A good example is what the Bucs did to Derell Revis. They decided to take him off an island and put him in zone coverage and it really didn't work out for them.

However, a lot of it is people not realizing that people get released for a reason. I forgot what NFL analyst it was who said it but I once hear the expression "Elite franchise players don't get cut" or something like that. While sometimes it could be a guy not being a good fit, a team not having the money to keep him (Demarcus Ware), or other reasons, it's usually because the player just isn't good enough to be worth paying.

I think what he's saying is you have to look at everything closely and not just assume that the reason a team released a top 15 rated guard is because they're crazy and can't see the value. There are also players who are only productive with a certain team and then other teams can't get anything out of them (Laron Landry).

The draft isn't fool's gold because teams aren't over-paying for those players.

The draft isn't fool's gold because teams aren't over-paying for those players.

With the rookie cap it does make it hurt less when a draft pick don't work out. That's kind of why I don't get too much into draft picks. In a sense they are gambles just like any player is. A GM just does what he thinks is best. Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't.

With a rookie cap in place what other way is there to look at it? There are three types of players drafted. Those who make an impact now, those who need to develop and the bust. That's why most figure a draft can't be graded for three years.

You can overpay with a pick. Not necessarily just cap space. If you spent a first rounder on a bust, you overpaid.

Free agency is like anything else in football... if the FO is smart about it and does their homework then they will be fine. But when dealing with people there is a chance things will not go as planned and that happens from time to time.  But if a GM is a good GM and has a process and sticks to that process for every player then there should be more hits than misses.

You beat me to it! It takes a good meshing of both the draftees and free agents to build a dynasty. It's just a matter of hitting more than you miss, building depth, and finding those guys that fit what you want to do.

You can overpay with a pick. Not necessarily just cap space. If you spent a first rounder on a bust, you overpaid.

All the signings start high and then fall down with every position. The rookie scale is set. It pretty much stays in line. Too much is put into the #1 pick. Most of the better players come from later rounds. With the rookie scale these players earn any higher pay with their play. There are quite a few first round picks that haven't even earned what they did get. It wouldn't make me mad at all if the Colts traded down.

All the signings start high and then fall down with every position. The rookie scale is set. It pretty much stays in line. Too much is put into the #1 pick. Most of the better players come from later rounds. With the rookie scale these players earn any higher pay with their play. There are quite a few first round picks that haven't even earned what they did get. It wouldn't make me mad at all if the Colts traded down.

You're not getting what I'm saying. Which isn't surprising.

FA is just part of the puzzle of building your team. As with any player you add, it comes down to the org making the right value decision on a player that they think can help them. This idea that you stay away from high priced FAs is silly. As with everything, it comes down to each specific player as each one is unique and weighing the pros and cons.

Exactly. Draft picks are assets, just like cap space is an asset. You can misspend both.

Semantics. I see cap space as more of a constraint since you can't buy or trade with it. But OK...

As for draft picks, there is the ACTUAL cost, which is measured in dollars, and there is what economists like to call the "opportunity cost," which is the potential value you could have had by investing the same assets differently. A bad free agent contract...or two...or three...can hamper a team for years. Whereas a blown opportunity can be more easily overcome, especially when you have invested (relatively) little in the case of draft picks, by simply making better decisions in the future.

Semantics. I see cap space as more of a constraint since you can't buy or trade with it. But OK...

As for draft picks, there is the ACTUAL cost, which is measured in dollars, and there is what economists like to call the "opportunity cost," which is the potential value you could have had by investing the same assets differently. A bad free agent contract...or two...or three...can hamper a team for years. Whereas a blown opportunity can be more easily overcome, especially when you have invested (relatively) little in the case of draft picks, by simply making better decisions in the future.

Not sure what you mean. You can buy with cap space, and you can trade players and either take on or shed their cap obligation. Just because they're a different kind of asset doesn't mean they aren't an asset.

Also, the majority of free agent contracts aren't going to hurt your team, even if the player is a bum. The majority are for a small percentage of the cap, and don't have a lot of guaranteed money, and are easy to get rid of with little pain. (Like Landry, he sucked, he's gone, there's little residue from his time here, the franchise isn't hampered by his deal.) It's only the big money free agents that really cause problems, and that's usually only when teams use huge signing bonuses to postpone cap obligations.

The majority of draft picks aren't going to set you back, either. But draft picks are more likely to be no-impact players than mid-level free agents. And when you fail to add young playmakers in the draft who can outplay their cheap contracts, you're undercutting your team's ability to maintain a cost-effective approach, because then you have to spend in free agency to patch the holes.

Anyways, the point is just that free agency isn't some death trap. It's important to be smart in free agency, just like it's important to draft well. A pattern of mistakes in either area (or both) will hurt your team.