Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do you think Peyton returns?

RockThatBlue

I have been back and forth on my thoughts on this.

Right now I have to believe he comes back for one more season.

If he doesn't,  I'm good with that too.

It's never easy to see your favorite player retire, or admit that it's time, and if it is in fact time, so be it.  Nothing can take away the enjoyment I've had watching him since his college days.

I have no idea. I get the sense that he is not happy with the Kubiak hire but he has been talking to Kubiak and it seems both he and Elway want Manning to come back. Manning also said he wants to make sure he can help the team and not hurt the team so to me that sounds like he is evaluating his level play and wants to make sure he can play at a high level. I do hope he comes back. I am not ready for him to leave yet.

I think he'll be back.  I can't see his last game being against the team he practically played is whole career for. I'd be shocked if he didn't return for one more season.

He has already stated that  that is not a deciding factor.

I think Peyton is re-evaluating everything including:

1. His health and ability to play at the level he would like to play at. Yes, he may be better than X% of other NFL QBs with his current health, but can he play where he feels that he needs to? He played lights out in 2013 and still lost in the Super Bowl.

2. Where is the team headed personnel-wise? They might lose some key defensive players, and possibly either of the two Thomas'. This means that on defense they may not be as good, and on offense, his receiving corps might not be as good. They might be good enough to get to the playoffs, but good enough to make it to the Super Bowl?

3. The offense that Kubiak traditionally runs requires a lot of roll-outs and QB movement, which is not to Manning's strengths. Who's offense will they run? Manning's, Kubiak's or a blend?

Overall, there are a lot of variables. I think he really wants to play but the situation has to be right. At the moment, it appears that the situation is not what Manning would like, and so he is greatly deliberating this decision.

I think Peyton is re-evaluating everything.

Overall, there are a lot of variables. I think he really wants to play but the situation has to be right. At the moment, it appears that the situation is not what Manning would like, and so he is greatly deliberating this decision.

^^This^^

I think he'll be back, part of me has to wonder, if the setting being in Denver is one of the major drawbacks, playing in open air all year long, I know my neck injury gets worse in the cold, i can just imagine his.

In other older QB news, I know Brady said he isn't even thinking about retiring, but if I were him, I'd retire now, at the top of the world. Close to 0% chance they repeat next season, so why not go out on top?

He'll be back, but that Broncos team may look entirely different after free agency begins..

Welker, D Thomas and J Thomas could all be gone potentially, although I doubt they let all 3 walk.

Terrence Knighton is also a free agent and he's a huge force on that defensive line...

Just a quick bullet point list of key free agents for them :

Wes Welker (WR)

demarius Thomas (WR)

Julius Thomas (TE)

Jacob Tamme (TE)

Virgil Green (TE)

Orlando Franklin (G)

Terrance Knighton (DT)

Raheem moore (S)

Quinton carter (S)

Brandon Marshall (ILB)

will Montgomery (center)

2014 was the Broncos best window of opportunity to win the SB with that loaded roster.. there is no way they can keep all of those players on the team, sign their draft picks and compete in FA.

They'll still be good, but they aren't going to be nearly as top heavy talent wise.

So much has changed and more will change with the Broncos. Also, getting older, I think he's more prone to injuries. Forget the arm strength. I'm talking about everything else. i.e. a quadriceps. You could tell something was off the last few games. I hope he doesn't retire, but if he does, I can understand.

Now that his arch rival has ring #4 and got it over the very same team that he couldn't score more than 8 points again, I highly doubt he wants to come back. 

If he comes back, it's just to pad his stats some more and eclipse Favre's final yardage record. He knows his shot at winning another Super Bowl faded last year when they laid down in the SB. 

Now that his arch rival has ring #4 and got it over the very same team that he couldn't score more than 8 points again, I highly doubt he wants to come back. 

If he comes back, it's just to pad his stats some more and eclipse Favre's final yardage record. He knows his shot at winning another Super Bowl faded last year when they laid down in the SB. 

If he's healthy, he has a chance.  Any team led by a healthy Peyton Manning is a playoff team and Super Bowl contender

Here's a cupcake.... maybe it will improve your  mood

Chocolate-Cupcakes-with-Vanilla-Frosting

he will still lead his team to the playoffs, unlike brees 2 of the last three seasons

I talked to Peyton the other day.  We are tight.  He really has a problem these days.  Everything he does he sings or hums to the Nationwide Jingle....Very annoying, especially when he is eating Chicken Parm...so rude.   :)

....Next time you see him at Papa Jophn's..Brent?

Tell him to stop saying that Joe Montana only shows up for the playoffs..

..unfortunate choice of words

If he's healthy, he has a chance.  Any team led by a healthy Peyton Manning is a playoff team and Super Bowl contender

I think he'll be back...Kubiak will let him do what he wants and he has the experience to exchange ideas with him..

That defense brings everybody back..and they don't play the NFC West next season..Broncos could be the top seed again

..with some O-line help

I have no idea. I get the sense that he is not happy with the Kubiak hire but he has been talking to Kubiak and it seems both he and Elway want Manning to come back. Manning also said he wants to make sure he can help the team and not hurt the team so to me that sounds like he is evaluating his level play and wants to make sure he can play at a high level. I do hope he comes back. I am not ready for him to leave yet.

I think the same thing.  

He's looking at his health.  It remains to be seen how well he and Kubiak will get along.  To me, if I'm Kubiak, I'm thinking my OC's job should be really easy as we've got Peyton Manning.   If Kubiak gets to "hands on" it may be detrimental.  

I have been back and forth on my thoughts on this.

Right now I have to believe he comes back for one more season.

If he doesn't,  I'm good with that too.

It's never easy to see your favorite player retire, or admit that it's time, and if it is in fact time, so be it.  Nothing can take away the enjoyment I've had watching him since his college days.

Gramz, I must applaud you on your enlightened, well balanced attitude regarding #18. I know how much you of all people love watching him play along with Jvan, FX, Susie Q, Shane, Brent, Jay Kirk, & several of my friends on the forum. 

If Peyton comes back, I will watch him regularly. If not, I will give him a standing ovation for all the wonderful memories he gave fans of the Natl. Football League. Whatever Manning decides to do, I marvel at his level of consistency & longevity across 2 franchises I thank him for bring a Championship to INDY. He was fascinating to watch. 

I think he's going to go ahead and hang them up. If he does come back again though, for one last shot at another title, I wouldn't be too surprised either.

Yep, if you backed me into corner & said will Peyton retire? I'd say yes, because he has nothing left to prove. He revolutionized play calling at the line of scrimmage, played in 3 SBs winning 1 of them, 5 time MVP, & lock for a bumble bee yellow jacket. What's left to accomplish? Nothing really. 

Yep, if you backed me into corner & said will Peyton retire? I'd say yes, because he has nothing left to prove. He revolutionized play calling at the line of scrimmage, played in 3 SBs winning 1 of them, 5 time MVP, & lock for a bumble bee yellow jacket. What's left to accomplish? Nothing really. 

I know he might want to go ahead and prove everyone wrong that say he can't get another ring, but you're right SW. He is already a lock for the HOF, he might as well turn it in now. I know it's been a good ride for him.

Either way is fine by me.  As long as he has the "want to" and his body holds out.  I don't think we'll ever see the dominant Peyton again though.  Too many teams are figuring out what to do with him.  Personally I don't want to see him fall apart and not realize that he's doing so... even though that would be helpful in our division.  

Don't crown Denver in the off season with or without Peyton.  If we have another draft/acquisition year like the last two, we will be loaded for bear and coming after them.  At the risk of tempting the football "gods" we simply CAN'T have a year with as bad of injuries as we had last year again.  We just finally ran out of players.  

He's not Kubiak's prototype QB.  That has to weigh against him returning.  Could be the Broncos are trying to nudge him aside.  Why else would they get a coach like Kubiak?

The Broncos are not trying to nudge Peyton aside so they can play Brock Oswweiler..I think that's not a possibility...

Kubiak is there because he and Elway have been friends for 30 years..and both of them want to go to the Super Bowl again.

Kubiak is experienced enough to make an offense fit Peyton.,.

I think its all about whether Peyton believes he can be healthy in December and January