Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chip Kelly and Eagles plotting to trade up for Mariota

RockThatBlue

I wouldn't do this if I were them. I think Foles will be fine. If he hadn't gotten hurt Philly could have made the playoffs.

Foles seemed to doing well till the injury. I guess we will wait and see.

Yeah, I would stay with Foles. I am still not sold the Mariota can make it in the NFL.

Foles actually wasn't doing that well before his injury.  His footwork had become worse and he was making bad decisions.  He was still putting up stats, partly because of the offense he's in and partly because they were garbage time stats, but his play wasn't as good this year as it was last year.  With that said, I think they should look elsewhere.  There are more significant holes on that team than QB

Yeah, I would stay with Foles. I am still not sold the Mariota can make it in the NFL.

I'm not sold Foles can make it in the NFL. Weak arm, not athletic, sloppy mechanics. He can be an Alex Smith kind of guy, but if there's someone you really, really want, you don't pass on him because you have Nick Foles. 

I'm not sold Foles can make it in the NFL. Weak arm, not athletic, sloppy mechanics. He can be an Alex Smith kind of guy, but if there's someone you really, really want, you don't pass on him because you have Nick Foles. 

It will cost a lot for them to get up and get Mariota and I don't think he will be a great QB in the NFL. Hate to give up all that unless you are sure he is the guy. He is by no means the sure lock Luck was.

But I agree about Foles. Solid QB but not sure he will be more than that.

It will cost a lot for them to get up and get Mariota and I don't think he will be a great QB in the NFL. Hate to give up all that unless you are sure he is the guy. He is by no means the sure lock Luck was.

But I agree about Foles. Solid QB but not sure he will be more than that.

I can't claim to have a strong opinion on Mariota at this point. I've only watched him a little bit. I'm just saying, if you're running a team and you LOVE him, Nick Foles isn't keeping you from making a move.

Foles was a one year wonder partly because it took teams a minute to figure out Chips offense once that happened and he had tight windows it was over even stacking the box for McCoy go get him Chip you can't win in this league without a QB

I'm not sure Mariota is a sure thing but if he's going to succed you'd think Philly would be his best shot

I'd welcome Foles to the AFC South with open arms

they will need a bunch to move into the top two picks

Mariota won't go in the top two. The Bucs are interested in Winston and will take him at 1 most likely. I've also heard that the Titans want to stick with Mettenburger. I'm guessing Mariota will go at 5 to the Redskins or 6 to the Jets. The Eagles will probably have to trade up with the Redskins, which could be interesting.

Sure but what it will cost should.

Thus the present inquiries.

Thing is, from what I've read, Mariota could drop out of the top ten. Based on the order, several of the top ten teams aren't looking at a QB. Then the Eagles are moving up < 10 spots.

Also, this could all be a huge smokescreen. 

I could see Sanchez headed to Buffalo with Rex as a backup.

Foles should stay but if Philly gets Mariota, then the writing is on the wall. 

Why would Rex wanna be reminded of the guy who got him fired in NY? I'd never take Sanchez in a million years. 

I am glad that Chip Kelly helped Sanchez put something else on tape besides the butt fumble though. I even felt sorry for him in the Big Apple after that episode.  

I used to be of the mindset that your backup QB doesn't matter, but then I lived through 2011 & Curtis Painter in INDY & I learned the hard way that basic competency matters. 

You get what you pay for. Cheap usually = worthless on average. 

It would be fascinating to see what Chip Kelly would do with QB Marcus Mariota. I say that because his high tempo offense & athletic talent on the Eagles roster was impressive to watch. I won't say that Chip made me a believer in what he does 100%, but he sure beat INDY when we faced Philly & I love how Chip loves to put his unorthodox system up against traditional football methods & school teams. 

He doesn't run from a challenge to prove the NFL wrong & the rebel inside of me admires that enthusiastic confidence. As far as the college to pro transition level, Chip has done well as an NFL HC IMO. 

Also, Chip Kelly is to be commended for making Philly fans not regret letting go of Andy Reid in his rookie year running football operations. Philadelphia is a very smart & demanding football fan base & it's not easy to win them over initially. Chip has earned their respect. That's pretty amazing in a blue collar diehard city that bleeds green 24/7.

That city loves their football as much as Chicago does, NY does, & GB does. If you lose there, that place will eat you alive. 

They need someone. They don't have a starting caliber QB on their roster. 

Do they really need one?  One could make the case that Kelly has a QB-proof offense in Philly.  He's made Foles look like an elite player and has made Sanchez look like a viable starting option.  I'm not saying they don't need a franchise QB; I'm just playing Devil's advocate here.

Foles was a one year wonder partly because it took teams a minute to figure out Chips offense once that happened and he had tight windows it was over even stacking the box for McCoy go get him Chip you can't win in this league without a QB

I'm not sure Mariota is a sure thing but if he's going to succed you'd think Philly would be his best shot

I'd welcome Foles to the AFC South with open arms

you should be really careful what you wish for.  I still expect Foles to be a damn good QB in the NFL.  I don't really care for the Eagles so I'd love to see them trade him. 

I disagree with the weak arm, and sloppy mechanics can be fixed.  No, he's not athletic but imo Foles can still become one of the better QBs in the NFL.

you should be really careful what you wish for.  I still expect Foles to be a damn good QB in the NFL.  I don't really care for the Eagles so I'd love to see them trade him. 

I disagree with the weak arm, and sloppy mechanics can be fixed.  No, he's not athletic but imo Foles can still become one of the better QBs in the NFL.

I'm not dogging him out or anything. Just saying, he's not a lock in the NFL, so if you really, really like someone else, you go get them. 

I don't know what you all can't see with Mariota, unless you haven't watched him much. I have seen every single snap, every single play this kid has made since his first game at Oregon. I said from the first time I saw him, that he is a special player, and that he would become the best QB in college, and then go onto a great pro career. People say he can't run a pro style offense...I read that around 80 percent of the plays in the nfl are run from the shotgun. How much does Luck go from the shotgun? I'm not comparing Luck to Mariota, as Marcus is still very young and needs to continue to work and grow, as all players do. He has the size, intelligence, poise, arm strength, leadership, and escapability that is needed at the QB position. He works and studies hard to improve, just like Peyton and Luck, and also, like those two, is a great role model for all.

He is not and RGIII clone. Marcus is an awesome athlete that I have seen many times stand in the pocket, and throw beautiful in stride passes to his receivers. I've seen him also tak some hard hits and still complete the pass, while other times using his great speed and agility to escape pressure and still hit his target down field, or, when he has to take off with his 4-4 speed. You all say that Russell Wison is such a great QB, well, you will all find out that Marcus will be as good or better than Wilson, due to his physical attributes.

A lot of people have their opinions, and you all are welcome to them. But like the opinions of TY have changed dramatically from when he got drafted, and people saying he wasn't going to be good, or couldn't make it, or he drops too many passes, he is now our best receiver, and is getting better and better.

Don't be too quick to judge Mariota..He is going to do well in the NFL.

If it weren't for that one game where he threw 6 TD's a few years back, I don't think anyone would know who he is. 

Last year the Eagles offense struggled a bit. Their defense, even though they looked horrible, had moments where they looked better than the offense. 

I will be more careful what I wish for to  be honest most of my wishes were pointed at the IU game tonight and that worked out really well. We took them behind the woodshed in the 2nd half. Looking good GO HOOOSIERS

I'm not dogging him out or anything. Just saying, he's not a lock in the NFL, so if you really, really like someone else, you go get them. 

right and I definitely get that.  I certainly understand a lot of people not being sold on him.  I've probably seen more of him than many have and that's why I believe he can and will still be a very good QB in the NFL.  The only thing you specifically said that I disagreed with was the weak arm comment.  I don't think he has a weak arm at all.  He doesn't have the strongest arm in the league of course but I don't think his is weak by any means either.  When I think of weak arms I think of guys like Chad Pennington and Kellen Moore, so we could be using a different grading scale as well.

right and I definitely get that.  I certainly understand a lot of people not being sold on him.  I've probably seen more of him than many have and that's why I believe he can and will still be a very good QB in the NFL.  The only thing you specifically said that I disagreed with was the weak arm comment.  I don't think he has a weak arm at all.  He doesn't have the strongest arm in the league of course but I don't think his is weak by any means either.  When I think of weak arms I think of guys like Chad Pennington and Kellen Moore, so we could be using a different grading scale as well.

Yeah, probably on the arm. Again, not saying he's a noodle arm, just that he's not working with a rocket or anything. 

They better be prepared to give up a lot to move up and get him.

Let's remember to revisit this . Your stance is he will be 1.1 or 1.2 this year as he would have also been 1.1 last year. I say he drops in this draft as teams figure it out that he's a product of that system. IMO he has questionable accuracy , good but not outstanding arm strength , played in an offense that didn't require NFL the reads .. see RG3. I think Winston goes higher ..