2015 Salary Cap

1959Colts

Cherilus 6.9M

Thomas 3.7M

Richardson 3.1M

RJF 6.1

Walden 4.2M

Landry 5.7

All these contracts were done in a way that we can get out of them without dealing with dead money, thats close to 30M. none of these guys have lived up to their contracts

Cherilus has a huge amount of dead money left.  We will have to wait til after 2015 at min to cut him.  

The other problem is who are you gonna find that's better?  Ideally I would say that might want to draft a tackle high and let him play right guard in 2015 for a year before maybe moving him to RT in 2016 and letting Cherilus go.  

Walden has done well.

Landry still has a lot of dead money on his contract.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Constantly improved?  If you consider baby steps constantly improved, then I guess you are correct, but aren't 1st rounders suppose to step in and make an impact their first year, if not definitely year 2?  Future? 

Yes, constantly improved, and even baby steps are improvement, though I think he's made more than baby steps in terms of playing in coverage and against the run.  And no, not all 1st rounders are expected to step in and make an impact their first year.  I'd say top 15 picks you could reasonably expect an immediate impact from but even then there's no guarantee.  Finally, yes some players do make a huge jump from year 1 to year 2, but other players make that jump from year 2 to year 3.  Bottom line, giving up on a 1st round pick after only 2 years is ludicrous.

Based on their cap numbers, I'd be surprised to see these players not cut pre june 1st:

RJF

Donald Thomas

Trent Richardson (Full 3.1 mil savings due to suspension)

Shaun Phillips

Grigson is really a genius when it comes to contract structures.

Would you have a link for the T-Rich 3.1M savings because of suspension.  I was under the impression it was fully guaranteed.

Cherilus has a huge amount of dead money left.  We will have to wait til after 2015 at min to cut him.  

The other problem is who are you gonna find that's better?  Ideally I would say that might want to draft a tackle high and let him play right guard in 2015 for a year before maybe moving him to RT in 2016 and letting Cherilus go.  

Walden has done well.

Not true on Cherilus. There's no need to consider his situation through the lens of only what he'd save in 2015. The total savings, which means money that never has to hit the cap, is the the $18.5m that he hasn't been paid. That includes the $4m in 2015. 

Make him a post-June 1 release, save cap space of $4m in 2015, $4.1m in 2016, and $9.9m in 2017. Don't pay him another $4m just because of the $16.5m you've already paid him. 

Yes, constantly improved, and even baby steps are improvement, though I think he's made more than baby steps in terms of playing in coverage and against the run.  And no, not all 1st rounders are expected to step in and make an impact their first year.  I'd say top 15 picks you could reasonably expect an immediate impact from but even then there's no guarantee.  Finally, yes some players do make a huge jump from year 1 to year 2, but other players make that jump from year 2 to year 3.  Bottom line, giving up on a 1st round pick after only 2 years is ludicrous.

I can tell you support Werner and there isn't anything wrong with that.  I just don't feel he has made sufficient progress, especially since his first season was no pressure, because of Mathis being there.  First rounders are expected to make an impact no matter what, IMO.  They were drafted in the first round because the team has a need, usually.  I'm not really giving up on him, but my statements are to show the stupidity of some, while they stand strong behind Werner, and completely trash Trent!  I think Werner will get better each and every year, but in no means should he have been a 1st round pick.  At this rate he will be an average LB, in year 4.  Not saying much, but could be worse, I guess... 

It is also ludicrous to expect a power run game without a powerful offensive line.  That's the part that really bothers me.  Andrew Luck gets hit, pressured, and hurried way too much also.  People wonder why he had so many turnovers, and the OL was mostly to blame.  People wonder why we cant come out and score on the first drive, it's mostly because the OL.  People wonder why, we cant run the ball up the middle, it's mostly because the OL.  Aside from the beginning part of the season, people wonder why, we can't dominate the tempo of the game, that is also mostly because of the OL.  Starting to see a pattern?  Outside the QB, I believe the most important part to a team is THE OL.  Look at most of the SB winners in the 2 decades, even further back for that matter.  They all get the job done in the trenches.  Patriots, Steelers, Packers, Giants, all own teams with their OL's it's fairly simple.  You control TOP and tempo, you win the game, because you're always putting up points with long drives.  Defenses wear down.  As good as Seattle's defense is they still gave up too many points against GB, but in the end they were lucky...

But comparing Trent to Ahmad or Boom, it's not a fair comparision because they have different running styles.  They get carries in different gaps in the line.

I would love to be a fly on the wall in the meeting rooms for the coaches and GMs going into this offseason. Honestly this may be the most important offseason we have had since the one we cleaned house. A lot of decisions will really be big going forward. We have some tough decisions on who to let go and who to spend money on to get over the top. Playoff team isn't good enough anymore....we are playing for a SB caliber team and we need to hit some home runs in our decisions. These mixed results aren't killer but if we expect to win it all we certainly need to put some more talent on the field. Grigson has had some good success.....funny its been in areas like the secondary and in some skilled positions in the draft but in the trenches where he should really know his stuff...sometimes I think he has gotten too cute. Potential is great but we need a few difference makers to take us to the next level and at this point..you don't have to go for broke but you have to take get some real playmakers....ones that can make things happen right now. You will always have your frame work of guys like Luck, Hilton, and Davis to build around but we could seriously use some guys that have proven it...done it...and deserve to get paid like it. We can still get those potential guys but you can't build a whole team on potential.

I don't mind doing a little of what the Broncos did....get difference makers in positions of need. Sign them to contracts that in a few years you will be able to get out of when we may see cap constraints. I would love to see us get stronger up the middle. OL and DL/LB. I love our secondary and I love our TEs/qb situation. We really have some questions with our line play onf both sides and I still think we are a really good lb away from having that monster we crave. Time for Grigson to show his skill. 

Walden has done well.

Bryan Bulaga, Mike Iupati, Orlando Franklin, Doug Free, Joe Barksdale, Michael Roos.. Landry would cost us 1.4m and Cherilus 1.8 in dead money, that's not a lot.

Cutting Cherlius might have to happen if he's just too injured to play a good RT.  But it saves nothing .. infact the cap hit is almost 9 million.

post  and  pre  june 1  only 1.8 million hit for cherlius .  $500,000 thomas  Richardson 3.1M gone too void contract. $500,000 RJF ,  $1,426,470 landry , Walden   walden $500,000

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/indianapolis-colts

Walden has done well.

and frankly after how he played in 2013 I think he deserves a chance to prove 2014 was injury related which is what was being reported. I'd get a tackle to be groomed either way though. They might also have Reitz, if they re-sign him who held his own there during the playoffs too who could be a stop gap guy for a year if Gosder goes south next season.

post  and  pre  june 1  only 1.8 million hit for cherlius .  $500,000 thomas  Richardson 3.1M gone too void contract. $500,000 RJF ,  $1,426,470 landry , Walden   $500,000  greg toler  $ 334,332 

$19,669,062 saved  not resign them are cutting them .   give 49 million in cap  and say add phillip be 51,650 000 

Bryan Bulaga, Mike Iupati, Orlando Franklin, Doug Free, Joe Barksdale, Michael Roos.. Landry would cost us 1.4m and Cherilus 1.8 in dead money, that's not a lot.

I'm pretty sure Iupati and Franklin at least are guards.  Bulaga I'm familiar with and would probably be better.  Not familiar with the other 3.  How many of those guys do you think will actually make it to FA?  

and frankly after how he played in 2013 I think he deserves a chance to prove 2014 was injury related which is what was being reported. I'd get a tackle to be groomed either way though. They might also have Reitz, if they re-sign him who held his own there during the playoffs too who could be a stop gap guy for a year if Gosder goes south next season.

Ideally it would be good if we could draft a tackle who could play RG for a year and then look at sliding him over to RT.  

Me personally I'm not a fan of taking big dead money hits.

Ideally it would be good if we could draft a tackle who could play RG for a year and then look at sliding him over to RT.

Me personally I'm not a fan of taking big dead money hits.

then you just have a hole at right guard of you move him to tackle. I'd rather get a right guard and get a kid you can groom to play right tackle and either have him ready to go if Gosder struggled next year or be ready when Gosder's deal is up. You can get a guy like that in the middle to late rounds of the draft.

then you just have a hole at right guard of you move him to tackle. I'd rather get a right guard and get a kid you can groom to play right tackle and either have him ready to go if Gosder struggled next year or be ready when Gosder's deal is up. You can get a guy like that in the middle to late rounds of the draft.

And that hole at guard can easily be filled next year or you could get a guy in the mid rounds of the draft that you can spend a year grooming to play right guard.

And that hole at guard can easily be filled next year or you could get a guy in the mid rounds of the draft that you can spend a year grooming to play right guard.

or you could just fill the whole at guard and groom someone else to play tackle or get a tackle towards the end of Gosder's deal if he turns it back around next year. Also, there is no promise that if someone can play right guard they will be able to slide out and play tackle. Mewhort has done extremely well at left guard this year but when they tried him at right tackle for a game he struggled as an example.

post  and  pre  june 1  only 1.8 million hit for cherlius .  $500,000 thomas  Richardson 3.1M gone too void contract. $500,000 RJF ,  $1,426,470 landry , Walden   walden $500,000

I think you and Indy bot are a little confused. The cap hit on Cherlius is 8.9 million . That is the dead money hit to our salary cap. If he's cut. That number is the amount of guaranteed money that hasn't come off our books yet. If he's cut after June 1st , the hit for 2015 is considerable less than the 8.9 as you say. BUT the rest of the 8.9 is the cap hit on Cherlius for the following year.

Here's a link to help you guys out with this.

http://overthecap.com/explaining-the-june-1st-designation/

We save $4M is Cherilus is designated as a post June 1st cut. 

Nvm, you already know this. 

Yes I know you can save 2015 cap money if you cut a player after June 1st. You just pay the remainig balance of the "dead money " in 2016

Yes I know you can save 2015 cap money if you cut a player after June 1st. You just pay the remainig balance of the "dead money " in 2016

I'm not going to pretend to be some kind of cap guru, but making him a June 1st cut saves $4M in 2015, $4M in 2016, and $11M in 2017.

I'm not going to pretend to be some kind of cap guru, but making him a June 1st cut saves $4M in 2015, $4M in 2016, and $11M in 2017.

You could say that it "saves" the base salaries for those years which would be 4 mill in 2015 , 7 mill in 2016 and 7.5 mill in 2017. But I'm not sure what you're really trying to say or prove. Future base salaries a few years down the line are really just "fluff" unless they are guaranteed. What I've said if that we still have 8.9 left in guaranteed money on his contract. % year deal with 14.5 mill $ signing bonus.Divide that # by the years of the contract , which is 5. So that's 2.9 mill per year for 5 years to pay off that guaranteed money. 14.5 minus 5.8 = 8.7 mill thats left for the Colts to "write off " after the 2014 year. 

Walden was easily the best player amongst our front 7 starters this past year. It would be crazy to get rid of him.

He and Redding played their hearts out.  I know I have been a Walden supporter from Day 1 while not-so-many-others were, it is like night and day as he sets the edge and the youngsters and Shaun Phillips did not.

Those against Toler must just be worried about his next injury.  He and Vontae were very good this year.  I really believe that Toler got some of the 'touchiest' holding penalties that I saw all year long.

You guys that want Toler and Walden gone must not have watched them play.  You missed some good football. :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:

He and Redding played their hearts out.  I know I have been a Walden supporter from Day 1 while not-so-many-others were, it is like night and day as he sets the edge and the youngsters and Shaun Phillips did not.

Those against Toler must just be worried about his next injury.  He and Vontae were very good this year.  I really believe that Toler got some of the 'touchiest' holding penalties that I saw all year long.

You guys that want Toler and Walden gone must not have watched them play.  You missed some good football. :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:

Couldn't have said it any better Brother :thmup:  Anton must have been watching as well ,some cuts people in here want to make well they just leave me :scratch:  :slaphead:  :hmm:

I can tell you support Werner and there isn't anything wrong with that.  I just don't feel he has made sufficient progress, especially since his first season was no pressure, because of Mathis being there.  First rounders are expected to make an impact no matter what, IMO. 

Expecting a late first round pick to make an immediate impact is a setup for disappointment.  Sure, you hope they will but to expect it is unrealistic.  If you look at first round picks from pick 20 to 32 I bet you'll find far more players that did not make an immediate impact vs. players that did.

Agree 100%. Walden is one of our best front 7 defenders. Granted it's not hard to be one of our best on our team but he played well. Toler also gets a bad rap. If he got away with what Revis gets away with as far as holding he'd be a Pro Bowler.

Agree 100%. Walden is one of our best front 7 defenders. Granted it's not hard to be one of our best on our team but he played well. Toler also gets a bad rap. If he got away with what Revis gets away with as far as holding he'd be a Pro Bowler.

Out of likes...I will be back to like!!  :)

That's a fact ! :thmup: