Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2015 Salary Cap

1959Colts

You could say that it "saves" the base salaries for those years which would be 4 mill in 2015 , 7 mill in 2016 and 7.5 mill in 2017. But I'm not sure what you're really trying to say or prove. Future base salaries a few years down the line are really just "fluff" unless they are guaranteed. What I've said if that we still have 8.9 left in guaranteed money on his contract. % year deal with 14.5 mill $ signing bonus.Divide that # by the years of the contract , which is 5. So that's 2.9 mill per year for 5 years to pay off that guaranteed money. 14.5 minus 5.8 = 8.7 mill thats left for the Colts to "write off " after the 2014 year. 

We've all spent words on this. I think we're making it too complicated.

If we keep him in 2015 and then release him prior to 2016, we save nothing in 2015, then we save $4.1m in 2016, and $10.4m in 2017. Or you can make him a post-June 1 release prior to 2016, and save $7m in 2016 and $7.5 in 2017. Either way, we save a total of $14.5m.

If we designate him a post-June 1 release in 2015, we save $4m in 2015, $4.1m in 2016, and $10.4m in 2017. We would save a total of $18.5m. 

To me, it's about whether you're willing to pay him another $4m and hope that he a) gets healthy, and b) performs at a reasonably high level. Personally, it's hard for me to believe that he'll ever be healthy again for a whole season, and he was unable to push through nagging injuries this year and perform at a decent level. So I'm done. I think his value above replacement is a net negative, and it's time to let him go.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Expecting a late first round pick to make an immediate impact is a setup for disappointment.  Sure, you hope they will but to expect it is unrealistic.  If you look at first round picks from pick 20 to 32 I bet you'll find far more players that did not make an immediate impact vs. players that did.

It was his 2nd year.  He was only asked to gain weight and work on his game his rookie year, cause Mathis is a stud.  I kind of agree with you on the expectations, but we REALLY needed him this season, because Robert wasn't there, and nobody else stepped up.  That is disappointing in a sense. 

We've all spent words on this. I think we're making it too complicated.

If we keep him in 2015 and then release him prior to 2016, we save nothing in 2015, then we save $4.1m in 2016, and $10.4m in 2017. Or you can make him a post-June 1 release prior to 2016, and save $7m in 2016 and $7.5 in 2017. Either way, we save a total of $14.5m.

If we designate him a post-June 1 release in 2015, we save $4m in 2015, $4.1m in 2016, and $10.4m in 2017. We would save a total of $18.5m. 

To me, it's about whether you're willing to pay him another $4m and hope that he a) gets healthy, and b) performs at a reasonably high level. Personally, it's hard for me to believe that he'll ever be healthy again for a whole season, and he was unable to push through nagging injuries this year and perform at a decent level. So I'm done. I think his value above replacement is a net negative, and it's time to let him go.

It's very difficult to explain dead money and cap savings to those that really never bothered to understand it. My statement was that we still have 8.7 mill in dead money on this contract. If we make him a post June 1 cut , you simply are taking 2.9 of the hit in 2015 and the remaining 5.8 in 2016. Some are even using the 1.8 figure they see to that right in the over the cap site. That # is simply what he cost you in total cap money if you cut him pre June 1 2015, He has a cap # of 6.9 mill for 2015 and you take a 8.7 cap hit and that leaves you with a negative 1.8 cap "NUMBER" for 2015. 

Now for your post. Yes you have it absolutely right. You make the decision on what to do in 2015 by looking at his 4 million $ base salary. You weigh that number against what you perceive his 2015 play might be worth. Then you weigh that against how is play would be versus things like resigning Reitz and playing him at RT. Maybe also moving Mewhort to RT. hen you have to factor in who plays RT. Think about cutting him and spending a 1st or 2nd on a RT ? IMO , a very tough decision is coming up on this guy. So many different ways they might go if they decide that he's just damaged goods... which he probably is. Lets remember he was horrible right from exhibition games on. If I had to guess , I'd say we probably have a new RT starting he 2015 season. 

Like you say .. it's pretty much "do we pay him 4 mill in 2015" or just move on. I was only pointing out to those that said we could cut him with very little cap hit . That # is 8.7 mill. 

It's very difficult to explain dead money and cap savings to those that really never bothered to understand it. My statement was that we still have 8.7 mill in dead money on this contract. If we make him a post June 1 cut , you simply are taking 2.9 of the hit in 2015 and the remaining 5.8 in 2016. Some are even using the 1.8 figure they see to that right in the over the cap site. That # is simply what he cost you in total cap money if you cut him pre June 1 2015, He has a cap # of 6.9 mill for 2015 and you take a 8.7 cap hit and that leaves you with a negative 1.8 cap "NUMBER" for 2015. 

Now for your post. Yes you have it absolutely right. You make the decision on what to do in 2015 by looking at his 4 million $ base salary. You weigh that number against what you perceive his 2015 play might be worth. Then you weigh that against how is play would be versus things like resigning Reitz and playing him at RT. Maybe also moving Mewhort to RT. hen you have to factor in who plays RT. Think about cutting him and spending a 1st or 2nd on a RT ? IMO , a very tough decision is coming up on this guy. So many different ways they might go if they decide that he's just damaged goods... which he probably is. Lets remember he was horrible right from exhibition games on. If I had to guess , I'd say we probably have a new RT starting he 2015 season. 

Like you say .. it's pretty much "do we pay him 4 mill in 2015" or just move on. I was only pointing out to those that said we could cut him with very little cap hit . That # is 8.7 mill. 

Yeah, that total dead number is $8.7m. It's gone already. You can choose, to an extent, how to allocate that dead money. More importantly, you can choose whether to add to that number by paying him another $4m. 

And yeah, some didn't understand what they were looking at on OTC. 

I just wanted to cut through the nonsense and get to the heart of the matter. Bottom line is that there are cap savings now, so this is a crucial decision point. If it were up to me, he'd be out.

Yeah, that total dead number is $8.7m. It's gone already. You can choose, to an extent, how to allocate that dead money. More importantly, you can choose whether to add to that number by paying him another $4m. 

And yeah, some didn't understand what they were looking at on OTC. 

I just wanted to cut through the nonsense and get to the heart of the matter. Bottom line is that there are cap savings now, so this is a crucial decision point. If it were up to me, he'd be out.

Yep

It was his 2nd year.  He was only asked to gain weight and work on his game his rookie year, cause Mathis is a stud.  I kind of agree with you on the expectations, but we REALLY needed him this season, because Robert wasn't there, and nobody else stepped up.  That is disappointing in a sense. 

That's not true.  That was what the plan was going into Training Camp according to Pagano.  They were going to have Werner learn to play as a Rush LB and play mostly in pass rush situations.  They had no intention of having Werner learn or play in the Sam LB role.  They had just signed Walden to play Sam LB and were going to have Lawrence Sidbury be the backup to Walden.  However, early in Preseason, Sidbury was injured and put on IR.  There was really no one else on the roster capable of playing backup at Sam so they wound up being forced to push Werner into that position.  He played far more Sam his rookie year than Rush.

I do agree that it's disappointing he didn't make a big 2nd year leap, but not every player does.  Some make that big jump in year 2 while others do in year 3.  Then you have a ton of guys that never make that jump to the next level.  Hopefully Werner is a year 3 guy and having a year playing mostly Sam and a year playing both Sam and Rush will help him be a better all around OLB in year 3 and onwards.  Point being it's way too soon to close out the book on Werner.  He still has room to grow and improve into a much better player, and the fact he's been improving since the day he got here is a good sign imo.

Looking at the Salaries heading into 2015 offseason, it seems there may be a need to terminate some of these heavy contracts. 

Quite a few of the players at the top are vastly overpaid, and it looks like there may be an option to cut a handful loose.

If Grigson manages the situation properly, the team may end up in decent shape cap wise.

Thoughts?

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/

What Preytell is the Matter with the The Cap Now???