Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Patriots being investigated for Deflating footballs.....(Mega Merge)

RealityIsLuck

Where are you getting these numbers? I don't think there has been anything official that was released on what the actual PSI was in the balls, and secondly..

Per THIS:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=12207314

The difference is so minimal that its not noticeable by the feel of the ball, it would all be purely physcological.

how did jerome bettis and colin cowherd figure it out immediately after touching a ball of each pressure

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea, they have a range of 12.5 to 13.5 psi, he prefers his at 12.5 and always has.. Aaron Rodgers prefers his at 14 PSI and will often try to slip them past the refs (he admitted this, yet miraculously there is ZERO push back from the public about it).

The physics of it from Sports Science and MythBusters proved that the difference is so minimal, it would only make a physcological difference to the player, like a placebo effect

watch the video yourself:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=12207314

So this is what i have gotten from you so far:

The game was lost so badly by the colts that it had no affect.

Translation:  As long as you win by alot, its ok to cheat.

And now

The affect is so miniscule that it is mostly a placebo affect

Translation:  Since it didnt really affect anything its ok to cheat.

Any other reasonings you have that excuses cheating?  I would love to catalog these.

because even tho he is VERY particular about the way his footballs are prepared, and how they feel,   once he takes the field he doesn't really pay attention to how they feel.    Excuse me for being confused here,  but isn't that where it should matter most...???

I think he explained it pretty clearly.. He selects his balls pre-game, he likes them at 12.5..

Once the game starts, in this case a night time game in freezing rain, you're not going to be able to notice a difference in the football when you're focusing on running an offense infront of a crowd of 80,000 people on national TV..  adrenaline is flowing through you, and a PSI difference is not physically noticeable.. its been said by 2 sports science shows that the differences would be more physcological than physical... 

So its pretty clear what he said, and it made sense.. hes not inspecting the balls during a game, he assumes they're the same ones that he hand selected pre-game that were then given to the refs for approval

lol.. they were the #1 seed in the AFC.. they obliterated every single division leader throughout the year except for Green Bay.. they beat the Ravens, they absolutely annihilated the Colts (again) and have absolutely earned everything they've gotten thus far this year...  You can have whatever feelings you want about it, but the Pats are playing in the Super Bowl.. they proved they were the best team all year and they backed it up in 2 playoff games, now they just need to do it 1 more time and they'll be the World Champs... again.

They hate us cause they ain't us!

How can a team be World Champions when the sport is predominantly only played in one country

I thought he preferred softer footballs but now 14 psi? Interesting

I said Aaron Rodgers prefers 14 PSI.. which is over regulation... and he admitted on television that he pumps them to 14 PSI and will try to get them past the refs all the time.

FYI, per the Sports Science link... higher PSI will actually increase the velocity of a football and allow a tighter spiral,

I said Aaron Rodgers prefers 14 PSI.. which is over regulation... and he admitted on television that he pumps them to 14 PSI and will try to get them past the refs all the time.

FYI, per the Sports Science link... higher PSI will actually increase the velocity of a football and allow a tighter spiral,

I need a quote from Rodgers liking 14 PSI.

But lower psi actually reduces the ability to fumble. Something the Patriots have statistically not done an abnormally low amount of times.

http://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/blog/?p=2932

that was for ball flight, not grip. you have posted thus many times. its still irrelevant

as far as rodgers goes, he also said the refs let the air out at the inspection before the game. He doesn't add air after the inspection

Uhh... the very first part of the video is on grip... 

They said the difference in the grip is 1mm... which equates to 1.5% more force on the ball, but that 1.5% more force does not equate to having a better grip on the ball because a QBs grip is all personal preference... QBs have different gripping and throwing styles.

So they immediately debunked the idea that there is some sort of grip advantage to the football and then moved on to analyze the flight of a ball.. and thats where they found that an underinflated ball has a lower velocity, so its actually a disadvantage when throwing it.

This is pure science.. thats what this show does, and they do it well...  It completely debunks the idea that the Patriots somehow gained some evil advantage over the poor helpless Colts.. quite the opposite actually, it can be argued that they were at a disadvantage.. and it also supports the notion that what Aaron Rodgers does to his footballs has a greater impact, something hes admitted to doing publicly..  He doesnt think there should be any cap to the PSI allowed on a ball.. because the higher it is, the faster he can throw it and the tighter the spiral will be, making it easier to catch.

Hey there SW,

That has been a bit of mantra here this week from some of our talk show personalities. I think there is some truth to that. Kind of like the Raiders bad boy image from the 60s and 70s or the Detroit Pistons of the 80's.

Being in this territory is nothing new for Pats fans. We have been dealing with it for 8 years now in part because of a rule being broken and in part because the team continues to be successful. So here we are again. In familiar territory and embracing it and the image is probably the least path of resistance. Honestly, I am just stoked for this SB match up and have been reading all the x's and o's articles on the game this past week. This may be the best SB match up we have had in a long time.

Yeah, I would imagine that such revelations are nothing new at this point & time for the Patriots. Scandal aside, I agree with you AMF; this SB of elite offense vs elite defense looks spectacular as far as rivalries go. 

No. We already did that and your QB illegally had his preference of football type while ours did not. That is not fair. That is the result of your team's cheating. 

What I want is for the NFL to have have handled this the way ANY other sport/competition would've. At the half, the issue was apparent, the discovery was made. The only thing that would've been fair is for the game to have been called a forfeiture by way of cheating, Colts win. Right at the half, busted, cheating, game over. 

Do you honestly think a team caught cheating should be allowed to retain their spoils?  

No, I don't subscribe to awarding INDY the game based on deflated footballs. Was GB given that game back in 2012 when they intercepted the Seahawk's pass? If you wanna reschedule the Championship Game fine, but INDY would get steamrolled a 3rd time by NE & I really have no desire to live through that domination debacle again personally. 

Don't....just don't. He's been here WAAAAAY longer than you, and most of us like him. I appreciate his inside view of a Pats fan, and he's never been a problem. 

This is the NFL General forum, where discussion of all teams is only fostered and furthered by having other teams fans give input. If we didn't have interest in his opinion, we wouldn't be having a conversation with him. 

Take your 32 posts and sit back while the adults have a talk. 

Exactly, I value AMF's insights as I do all my NE friends on this site because they have a fresh perspective on my franchise & they can see weaknesses I might not because I'm too close to the Colts fan wise & need necessary distance. 

Thanks man. You have always been one of my favorite posters here. And I don't blame your outrage over this even if I think it is over the top. IF this investigation reveals what we are thinking then I will be very disappointed in my team. Very. And I will apologize again to Colts fans.

You have nothing to apologize for AMF. You committed no crime. I've been away all day & I just watched the Belichick press conference. Here's my main question: If your team is accused of altering the ball size & having your own interpretation of the NFL rules, why mention that you frequently alter footballs in practice? Here's my point: If the goal is to reassure the league, the fans, & other team coaches that you do not violate well established rules to guarantee a level playing field for all, then why mention any circumstance where you the HC manipulate & alter balls from their original pristine condition? It seemed like an odd thing to elaborate on to me. 

I get what Bill was driving at in terms of overcoming obstacles & challenging conditions on the field, but it's like someone accused of bank robbery who discloses that he enjoys cracking codes ever since they were a little boy. 

Admittedly, I'm new here.  No doubt about it.  And my post was sincere, with no ill will.  And I sincerely what to know if his employer is hiring, because I only wish I could spend significant time reading and posting.  

I'm just confused why a Patriots fan would go visit another team's board, that's it.  I don't know of any Colts fans that spend hours upon hours on a Patriots board, or Ravens board, or Bengals board, etc...

Thanks for the "take your 32 posts and sit back while the adults have a talk" line though.  Now that's fairly childish, but you know that already.  And it wasn't necessary.    And even you, with your 9,000 posts or whatever, were new once.  We all are new at one time to a board.   

In a previous post, I inquired about the fascination of Pats posters over here but it went unanswered, so I asked again.  

I just appreciate other perspectives from people who have different team allegiances from me. 

I R R E L E V A N T  - it's a rule.  Go after Rodgers for it and anyone else that does the same, but the CURRENT issue is the Patriots and 11 balls that were 16% under-inflated after being in their possession after being at correct psi.  Doesn't matter "if it does anything" to improve the performance of the balls it is an illegal act according to the agreed upon rules. 

It does matter, because if they do discover that the Patriots intentionally tampered.. they then have to determine the severity of the violation.. and in this case, the severity is extremely low.. that would be used in determining a proper punishment, which nobody hear obviously wants to hear because some people are screaming for them having their entire draft stripped, BB suspended for a year, Brady suspended for a year, ban them from the playoffs and SB indefinitely, etc etc...

Just the craziest overreactions ever lol.. but whatever, I get it.. we're the evil villain.. and this is way easier to swallow than accepting the fact that your team got rocked in the AFCCG

The same Mythbusters who tested if putting a giant mock up of Homer Simpson on a wrecking ball would stop it from damaging a house? Yeah. No thanks.

lol, that entire cast are geniuses... they know their stuff and are very intelligent.. putting Homer Simpson on a wrecking ball is their way of having fun with it, because you know... they want to also entertain an audience and *gasp* make it fun..

The fact that I have to actually explain that to you is telling.

It does matter, because if they do discover that the Patriots intentionally tampered.. they then have to determine the severity of the violation.. and in this case, the severity is extremely low.. that would be used in determining a proper punishment, which nobody hear obviously wants to hear because some people are screaming for them having their entire draft stripped, BB suspended for a year, Brady suspended for a year, ban them from the playoffs and SB indefinitely, etc etc...

Just the craziest overreactions ever lol.. but whatever, I get it.. we're the evil villain.. and this is way easier to swallow than accepting the fact that your team got rocked in the AFCCG

Colts lost 45-7. They won two playoff games this year. That's passing everyone's expectations.

Our team is on the up from 2-14 three years ago, everything your team has done in the last 15 years is tainted, tarnished, and asterisk'd. We will be laughing all the way from here on out when we have Luck as the top QB in the NFL and the patriots go back to sucking like they did before they started cheating.

lol, that entire cast are geniuses... they know their stuff and are very intelligent.. putting Homer Simpson on a wrecking ball is their way of having fun with it, because you know... they want to also entertain an audience and *gasp* make it fun..

The fact that I have to actually explain that to you is telling.

Myth busters..... enough said.

http://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/blog/?p=2932

again, the numbers behind the Patriots ability to not put the ball on the ground and win so many bad weather games at home are the best 5 year period ever.....by FAR....it's statistically disturbing.

They know how to take care of the football, BB preaches it every single day.. Its the biggest emphasis he makes and if someone fumbles the ball, he benches them.. Ridley was benched for weeks after fumbling in a critical game.. he has ZERO tolerance for it.. he instills it into his team on a daily basis.

It does matter, because if they do discover that the Patriots intentionally tampered.. they then have to determine the severity of the violation.. and in this case, the severity is extremely low...

So how do you come up with "extremely low" when in a Conference Championship game (and perhaps other games as reportedly reported to the NFL earlier in the year) a team tampered with the game balls?

Intentionally.  Tampered.  Says it all.

They know how to take care of the football, BB preaches it every single day.. Its the biggest emphasis he makes and if someone fumbles the ball, he benches them.. Ridley was benched for weeks after fumbling in a critical game.. he has ZERO tolerance for it.. he instills it into his team on a daily basis.

You and I both know that plenty of teams sit their players after they fumble and that all coaches emphasize ball control so don't give me that. You think benching Ridley a few times causes them to be the lowest fumble to offensive play ratio, exactly 31 players per fumble less than the closest team in any five year period of the last 25 years?

But regardless of what, specifically, is causing these numbers, the fact remains:  this is an extremely abnormal occurrence and is NOT simply random fluctuation.

Let's be fair it's not just ESPN saying it. Besides ESPN is providing one of your biggest supporters..the one..the only.. Mr Skip Bayless.

All you need now is Mike Carey in your corner and you're all set.

Edit - even Skip is back pedalling after the pressers.

I didn't catch what he said, what's skip saying now?

Could the Patriots be so good that they just defy the numbers? Perhaps they’ve invented a revolutionary in-house way to protect the ball, or perhaps they’ve intentionally stocked their skill positions with players who don’t have a propensity to fumble.  Or perhaps still, they call plays which intentionally result in a lower percentage of fumbles.  Or maybe its just that they play with deflated footballs on offense.  It could be any combination of the above.

But regardless of what, specifically, is causing these numbers, the fact remains:  this is an extremely abnormal occurrence and is NOT simply random fluctuation.

Everything they've done over the last 15 years has defied the numbers..  Everyone freaked about spygate and said thats how they were winning (which is almost as absurd as the idea that some PSI out of a ball would lead to more wins).. after spygate, they're the most winning franchise in the NFL, moreso than pre-spygate..  That says everything you need to know..  They just keep winning and people can't stand it, so they'll stop at nothing to try and take them down off the field because people haven't had a lot of success taking them down ON the field

Tell me.. how does the fact that the Pats put the ball on the ground twice in the AFCCG play into your conspiracy theory?  Doesn't that just defy everything that you're saying right now?

They literally fumbled the ball twice... and both times the Colts couldn't recover it..   There goes that theory!

ESPN? Disgusted with the Pats?  Thats been their standard operating procedure for years, ever since Kraft gave CBS the CBS Scene at Foxboro Stadium ESPN has been on a hate campaign against them ever since..

Jerome Bettis has been a notorious Pats hater because of all the games hes lost to them, hes in the same boat as Marshall Faulk..  They're also paid to get a reaction out of people and increase VIEWERS... People love controversy, and this story has been driven 100% by social media and knee jerk reactions.. All of that equates to MONEY.

Its the same reason that on any Network, they tell 1 person to defend position X and another person to defend position Y..  ESPN already had a segment with Sports Science that disproved the "Unfair Advantage" angle, yet nobody acknowledges that and are just covering their ears and closing their eyes, pretending it doesnt exist.

The day I care about what ESPN has to say about the Patriots is the day that trees rain money when you shake them and Giselle Bunschen leaves Tom Brady to be my sugar mamma

That's why Mark Brunnel who played the position for 15 years says there is an advantage to playing with a deflated football ? Aikman who also played the position , feels Bray is totally full of it . Do these ex NFL QB's all have something against the Pats too ?

What people are saying is that the Pats would have won the game  regardless and I agree. But only an * would try to find something that says it "no huge advantage , so it's not important ." Not sure what you are trying to say. Can't be that because it is an advantage and besides .. even if it wasn't , that's not the issue anyway.

Myth busters..... enough said.

He's quoting TV shows. This is getting laughable.

Why defend cheating? If the Colts had done this I'd be enraged. I'd call for someone to get suspended.

Belichick can't play the ignorance card. He's responsible for what goes on with that team. He knows the rules and him saying he doesn't know the process of how they check the balls highlights he's a liar.

Also no one sneezes in Foxborough without BB knowing about it.

Everything they've done over the last 15 years has defied the numbers..  Everyone freaked about spygate and said thats how they were winning (which is almost as absurd as the idea that some PSI out of a ball would lead to more wins).. after spygate, they're the most winning franchise in the NFL, moreso than pre-spygate..  That says everything you need to know..  They just keep winning and people can't stand it, so they'll stop at nothing to try and take them down off the field because people haven't had a lot of success taking them down ON the field

Tell me.. how does the fact that the Pats put the ball on the ground twice in the AFCCG play into your conspiracy theory?  Doesn't that just defy everything that you're saying right now?

They literally fumbled the ball twice... and both times the Colts couldn't recover it..   There goes that theory!

2 fumbles in one wet game out of a 5 year period will not make a dent in the trend. The magic number here is 31. The patriots of the last five years fumble on average once every 187 offensive plays. That is 31 plays higher than the next closest team of any 5 year gap in the last 25 years. The next closest team and the 6th closest team are 8 plays per fumble apart (source: http://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/blog/?p=2932 ). You mean to tell me BB is the only head coach in the NFL that preaches ball security and sits players if they fumble?

They are the third team ever to not lose a fumble at home in an entire season, and they ran more plays than the other 2 teams by 150, and 200 offensive plays.

They are cheaters. Your messiahs are frauds.

Edit: also to your first point about the last 15 years defying numbers....that's because they were cheating....and got caught....twice

Your messiahs are frauds.

I knew the NFL would have this created ASAP to try and convince the public that it didn't really matter.... knowing how the NFL handles things like this I wouldn't doubt that they paid to have it produced!

IF it makes no difference WHY is there a rule? Ohhhhh FAIR competition - THATS WHY!

IF it makes no difference WHY did they deflate the balls? Ohhhhh to gain an unfair advantage - THATS WHY!

IF it is not advantageous why do it? Ohhhhh they wouldn't waste their time!

Why is there a rule? Because you have to draw the lines somewhere. If they had no rule, then teams could bring a football with 0 psi in it... or put weights on it, or velcro, or that stickum stuff that was so popular in the 70's and 80s.. or cover a ball in glitter and sparkles... or a number of other things.. you have to have some sort of baseline set

Theres no proof that the Pats deflated the balls yet either, I'll wait until the NFL's investigation has concluded and they release the findings.

Seen another sports show take the balls one at specified PSI and another 2# less ... it was clearly easier to grip, easier to catch, easier to throw etc...

If you're talking about Jerome Bettis and Mark Brunnel playing with footballs on ESPN, then thats a joke.. thats not scientific, thats 2 blowhards on ESPN giving their opinions.. and Jerome Bettis hates the Pats, always has.. same exact situation as Marshal Faulk.. hes bitter from losing so much to them

I think he explained it pretty clearly.. He selects his balls pre-game, he likes them at 12.5..

Once the game starts, in this case a night time game in freezing rain, you're not going to be able to notice a difference in the football when you're focusing on running an offense infront of a crowd of 80,000 people on national TV..  adrenaline is flowing through you, and a PSI difference is not physically noticeable.. its been said by 2 sports science shows that the differences would be more physcological than physical... 

So its pretty clear what he said, and it made sense.. hes not inspecting the balls during a game, he assumes they're the same ones that he hand selected pre-game that were then given to the refs for approval

lol you're not even a good troll, you just keep repeating the same hyperbole over and over as if everyone should buy the same garbage that Patriot fans do. 

You're right about that. I'm just saying, the Packers aren't the ones with the noncompliant balls here. Pats fans hanging on to Aaron Rodgers saying he likes the balls over-inflated are trying to deflect attention away from the fact -- the FACT -- that their team got caught cheating. 

Where are you getting those "facts" exactly?  There has been nothing but SPECULATION... Speculation is not fact, and that's a fact.

Its also not deflecting anything.. I don't personally have a care in the world what other QBs want their psi at... the point is that QBs around the league all have a different preference for their balls, and in his case will even inflate his over the allowed limit to get them into the game..

Thats called PERSPECTIVE... instead of this witch hunt where people are acting like Brady just ate a child at his press conference and are acting like this is some sort of HUGE finding that explains all of their success for the past 15 years..  Thats how insane some people are in their reactions to this..  They can enjoy that, if it helps them feel better then by all means, but it doesn't make any of it true

Rodgers said the refs always have to take some air out of the Packers footballs. Based on that alone, this Aaron Rodgers argument should never come up again. Of course, we all know that it will, because it's easier to point the finger at someone else than to accept the truth.

He has intentionally over inflated them and tries to get them past the officials... He has succeeded in doing it as well.  This adds additional context to this whole thing, so it is relevant.

Why is there a rule? Because you have to draw the lines somewhere. If they had no rule, then teams could bring a football with 0 psi in it... or put weights on it, or velcro, or that stickum stuff that was so popular in the 70's and 80s.. or cover a ball in glitter and sparkles... or a number of other things.. you have to have some sort of baseline set

Theres no proof that the Pats deflated the balls yet either, I'll wait until the NFL's investigation has concluded and they release the findings.

If you're talking about Jerome Bettis and Mark Brunnel playing with footballs on ESPN, then thats a joke.. thats not scientific, thats 2 blowhards on ESPN giving their opinions.. and Jerome Bettis hates the Pats, always has.. same exact situation as Marshal Faulk.. hes bitter from losing so much to them

By your own admission rules are made because you have to draw the line somewhere. You know the rest. The Patriots feel the line don't apply to them.

Brady really showed his true colors when he made the snide remark about how the Colts spent time squeezing footballs. Wow .. I can't tell you how shocked I am that he would stoop so low to make that remark

Liars deflect the attention off of themselves onto others, he's a Liar!!

The Patriots have forced the NFL's hand, by doing this in the AFC TITLE GAME. Goodell has to do the right thing, and suspend BB and Brady from the Superbowl.

Not in your wildest dream will that happen lol

Fortunately I think this team is disciplined and focused enough to rally around this and have the Us vs The World mindset... they just need to play 1 more good game of football and they'll be the world champs, and in the words of Steve Young "and Nobody can ever.. EVER!!! take it away from us!"

Uhh... the very first part of the video is on grip...

They said the difference in the grip is 1mm... which equates to 1.5% more force on the ball, but that 1.5% more force does not equate to having a better grip on the ball because a QBs grip is all personal preference... QBs have different gripping and throwing styles.

So they immediately debunked the idea that there is some sort of grip advantage to the football and then moved on to analyze the flight of a ball.. and thats where they found that an underinflated ball has a lower velocity, so its actually a disadvantage when throwing it.

This is pure science.. thats what this show does, and they do it well... It completely debunks the idea that the Patriots somehow gained some evil advantage over the poor helpless Colts.. quite the opposite actually, it can be argued that they were at a disadvantage.. and it also supports the notion that what Aaron Rodgers does to his footballs has a greater impact, something hes admitted to doing publicly.. He doesnt think there should be any cap to the PSI allowed on a ball.. because the higher it is, the faster he can throw it and the tighter the spiral will be, making it easier to catch.

what does it say about rbs and wrs holding onto the ball?