Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

To all the Complainers...

COLTSFAN12to13

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like people to think back to the low point of 2011 the beat down by the Saints. If I told you right then that they were going to release Peyton Manning there was no way around it but the next three years they would make the playoffs win two divison titles, three playoff games and be in the AFC championship in year three how much I would have been laughed at for saying it, or if it was offered to you how quickly you would have signed up for it.

Tonight stings. There is no doubt about that and clearly something has to change because if we want to take the next step at some point you have to beat New England and right now we can't even make a game out of it let a lone beat them but let's not toss the baby out with the bath water and lose sight how far this team has come and frankly they have come further in three years than even the biggest homer of Colts fans thought they could come three years ago.

At least you're not a fan of the 28 teams that placed worse than the Indianapolis Colts this season.

Perspective, guys...

If you didn't win it all, it's a failure. We failed in Baltimore, you failed, and who cares where you placed if you are not in the Super Bowl. There is no progression, every year and team is different, and you have to win when you have the chance. We blew up our team after the Super Bowl , went 8-8, then went to the divisional round this year and had our chances. Despite injuries , we could have got it done, but didn't. Does this mean we will be in the AFCCG or Super Bowl because we played the Patriots tough, maybe, but maybe not. You just can't count on that in the NFL, and if you have that chance, you have to grab it, or its a failure. Did both teams have nice seasons , yes, but from my perspective , it's a failure.

At least you're not a fan of the 28 teams that placed worse than the Indianapolis Colts this season. 

Perspective, guys... 

I agree to a point ... but seasons like this aren't all good ... Odds were we werent good enough to go to the SB yet, but we paid a high price in draft position for a very slim chance.  While teams like Falcons, Giants, etc (even 49ers picking early-mid 1st... have some really good pieces in place and don't need QBs, are getting to reload with high draft picks while we are stuck at bottom of first.  These deep runs so early have cost us. 

I agree to a point ... but seasons like this aren't all good ... Odds were we werent good enough to go to the SB yet, but we paid a high price in draft position for a very slim chance.  While teams like Falcons, Giants, etc (even 49ers picking early-mid 1st... have some really good pieces in place and don't need QBs, are getting to reload with high draft picks while we are stuck at bottom of first.  These deep runs so early have cost us. 

Please, tell me, which good pieces do the Giants and Falcons have? Other than ODB and Julio Jones. How are they in a better position than the Colts? The Falcons and Giants both lack a defense, and the Falcons o-line is a joke.

Yeah, but 28 other teams didnt get bent over a table like we did

Denver did in the Super Bowl last year.    And that's on a much, much bigger stage.

We made to the AFC Championship in year 3 of a complete rebuild.    And the future seems bright....

I suspect you'll get over such a terrible hardship.....

The Pats have been drafting toward the bottom of each round for roughly the last 12-14 years and somehow they've managed to stay among the league's best teams.

Well run franchise's find a way to acquire the talent they need.

Yeah, but 28 other teams didnt get bent over a table like we did

Just be thankful it happened only once. Some fan bases have to endure it on a weekly basis, then just to make it worse, their franchise will select a RG3 or Jameis Winston or Blaine Gabbert just to insure that said bending over will continue for the foreseeable future.

The Pats have been drafting toward the bottom of each round for roughly the last 12-14 years and somehow they've managed to stay among the league's best teams.

and seeing as how the Colts have been to the playoffs 16 of the past 20 years I think they do that.

Please, tell me, which good pieces do the Giants and Falcons have? Other than ODB and Julio Jones. How are they in a better position than the Colts? The Falcons and Giants both lack a defense, and the Falcons o-line is a joke.

I didn't say they were in a better position overall, They are looking pretty ragged, which is kind of my point; they are in a better position to reload through high draft picks. Had we worked our way up and say went 7-9/8-8 Lucks rookie year than 8-8/9-7 his 2nd year we likely would have had a stronger team now. They have the QBs(the hardest piece of the puzzle) they can spend the high draft picks to fill in around them cheaply.

They often pick at the end of the round out of choice, many years they have had higher picks they have acquired and/or trade back ... something I wish we did more of.  The Pats have a coach that is better able to adapt his team to his players strengths, They also have the uncanny ability to trade/release and than pick up FAs at just the right times. They appear to be better at overall talent evaluation.  Now add a hall of fame QB to that and you can afford to pick late every year

and seeing as how the Colts have been to the playoffs 16 of the past 20 years I think they do that.

Which brings up the point, I don't want to be a team carried to the playoffs by a couple great players, but rarely strong enough to make a real push ... see the Manning years. 

Which brings up the point, I don't want to be a team carried to the playoffs by a couple great players, but rarely strong enough to make a real push ... see the Manning years.

this team is well a head of the Manning years by year three manning was 0-2 in the playoffs. This team already has three playoff wins, including a road win, and a trip to the AFC Title game under their belt.

this team is well a head of the Manning years by year three manning was 0-2 in the playoffs. This team already has three playoff wins, including a road win, and a trip to the AFC Title game under their belt.

That is true. I have been arguing against many of the complainers in many threads and when I initially posted it wasnt so much to complain it was more of pointing out that while there is a bit too much complaining ... its also not all sunshine and rainbows like viewpoint many of the "anti-complainers" are adopting.... We have some things to look positively at, but there are plenty of negatives that need to be addressed as well; and some of the complainers have legitimate gripes, they are just going overboard.

That is true. I have been arguing against many of the complainers in many threads and when I initially posted it wasnt so much to complain it was more of pointing out that while there is a bit too much complaining ... its also not all sunshine and rainbows like viewpoint many of the "anti-complainers" are adopting.... We have some things to look positively at, but there are plenty of negatives that need to be addressed as well; and some of the complainers have legitimate gripes, they are just going overboard.

right and I have admitted they have to get better in some areas, namely the front seven and really the front three, and fair concerns should be welcomed and discussed. I am sure they will be over the off-season but the none stop fire everyone any time they lose, this team stinks, or the defense doesn't play well against anyone who is good gets really tired when it's clearly not true and honestly probably makes it hard to have a legit conversation about what needs to be improved.

Honestly, at many points this season you would have thought this team was in the middle of a 2-14 season if you just read the posters here. I mean you see this team get to the AFCCG three years after 2-14 and you have people calling this year a failure and calling for the Head Coaches job. It's crazy.

No doubt the have some serious things to improve on this off-season but frankly the past three years have been far more sunshine and rainbows than it has been rainy days and once in a while I think we need to remember that.

The way I look at it is, the Colts are right on schedule.  They made it to the wild card round Luck's rookie year, the divisional round last year, and the conference round this year.  Is there a LOT of work to do?  Yes.  But, I think the Colts are on the right track.  They definitely need better lines on both sides of the ball though, and Landry needs to be let go posthaste.  

I agree to a point ... but seasons like this aren't all good ... Odds were we werent good enough to go to the SB yet, but we paid a high price in draft position for a very slim chance. While teams like Falcons, Giants, etc (even 49ers picking early-mid 1st... have some really good pieces in place and don't need QBs, are getting to reload with high draft picks while we are stuck at bottom of first. These deep runs so early have cost us.

So we should not win so much so we can win more?

If you didn't win it all, it's a failure. We failed in Baltimore, you failed, and who cares where you placed if you are not in the Super Bowl. There is no progression, every year and team is different, and you have to win when you have the chance. We blew up our team after the Super Bowl , went 8-8, then went to the divisional round this year and had our chances. Despite injuries , we could have got it done, but didn't. Does this mean we will be in the AFCCG or Super Bowl because we played the Patriots tough, maybe, but maybe not. You just can't count on that in the NFL, and if you have that chance, you have to grab it, or its a failure. Did both teams have nice seasons , yes, but from my perspective , it's a failure.

You seem more angry than Colts fans with this post. I guess you can call a season a failure if you want but the Colts were not expected to get to the champ game and they went into Denver and won - in dominant fashion. I think that is something to feel good about and be encouraged. NE has had their number since Pagaon/Luck. They will learn from this and get better.

I didn't say they were in a better position overall, They are looking pretty ragged, which is kind of my point; they are in a better position to reload through high draft picks. Had we worked our way up and say went 7-9/8-8 Lucks rookie year than 8-8/9-7 his 2nd year we likely would have had a stronger team now. They have the QBs(the hardest piece of the puzzle) they can spend the high draft picks to fill in around them cheaply.

Doesn't help when our last two first round picks are inactive for the championship game...

You seem more angry than Colts fans with this post. I guess you can call a season a failure if you want but the Colts were not expected to get to the champ game and they went into Denver and won - in dominant fashion. I think that is something to feel good about and be encouraged. NE has had their number since Pagaon/Luck. They will learn from this and get better.

I'm not angry at all, but a realist . Like the Colts we got farther than I thought, but once you are in the playoffs, you have to get it done when you have the chance. Each year and team is different, so you can't assume you will be back in the same position next year based on some kind of progression. We all know it can be one and done for any of us any year . Would you be happy going to the SB and losing ? I think I know the answer and it would be a failure. That's all I'm saying.

I'm not angry at all, but a realist . Like the Colts we got farther than I thought, but once you are in the playoffs, you have to get it done when you have the chance. Each year and team is different, so you can't assume you will be back in the same position next year based on some kind of progression. We all know it can be one and done for any of us any year . Would you be happy going to the SB and losing ? I think I know the answer and it would be a failure. That's all I'm saying.

Sure but there is a progression especially when you have a good FO like the Ravens and Colts. And both are young teams. I agree you take your chances when you have them  but you can't win every year.

In terms of the Pats, I am happy right now they got to the Super Bowl. They were the best team in the AFC from mid-season on. I would have been upset if they did not make the SB. That being said, I will not feel it is a failure if they lose to Seattle. They will be underdogs and will have to play the game of their lives to win much like 2001 vs the Rams. I think they can, but I will be fine if they lose. Season is already a success especially given how bad things looked the first month of the season.

Sure but there is a progression especially when you have a good FO like the Ravens and Colts. And both are young teams. I agree you take your chances when you have them but you can't win every year.

In terms of the Pats, I am happy right now they got to the Super Bowl. They were the best team in the AFC from mid-season on. I would have been upset if they did not make the SB. That being said, I will not feel it is a failure if they lose to Seattle. They will be underdogs and will have to play the game of their lives to win much like 2001 vs the Rams. I think they can, but I will be fine if they lose. Season is already a success especially given how bad things looked the first month of the season.

I mean , you can look at a progression of sorts , but only one team and fan base will be happy at the end of the year. Colt fans are looking for answers now, and you have to build teams like the Steeler and Raven teams to compete with, or beat the Patriots. I don't say that out of anger , but respect , and you have to have tough guys to go toe to toe with NE. Had we lost to SF, it would have felt as much a failure to me as the Colts losing to the Jets all those years ago. It still bothers me, and was one of the epic Baltimore failures of all time.

My main complaint is we put up 7 points. 

Seven. 

Who did we think we were playing that seven points were going to win a game? 

But to their credit they took away our passing game for the most part. Ninkovich always plays well against us and is a game wrecker.

They knew we couldn't run on them and they got pressure on Luck by exploiting our RT

We're getting there! We need to shore up a couple positions and I feel we're golden

But to their credit they took away our passing game for the most part. Ninkovich always plays well against us and is a game wrecker.

They knew we couldn't run on them and they got pressure on Luck by exploiting our RT

We're getting there! We need to shore up a couple positions and I feel we're golden

We were successful running on them. At halftime, Boom was averaging 5 per carry, but the game got out of hand quickly after the half, and BE could just key on the pass from there out.

Seems like we say that every year, then the same thing happens again.

This is what I haven't understood about playing the Pats the last few years. Not so much that they have put up points on our sorry D which lacks talent, but that our offense just cannot move the ball. Sure, it was a monsoon yesterday, but you didn't see the Pats struggling to score (understatement of the year). That Pats D is nothing special, but they have continually made the Colts offense look silly the last few years. The fact that no receivers were open last night sounds more like a schematic problem vs. the Pats than it does talent to me, because we know that between Hilton and our TEs there is considerable talent. The offense needs to diversify and needs a lot of new wrinkles to deal with NE it would appear. They have the O's number.

Perspective, guys...

PErspective? Let's talk expectations..

The team publicly said expectations were to reach the super bowl.. did we reach that? No. So it's a failure..

I know, i know, 3 years removed from a 2-14 season and a total rebuild and all that.. but with an elite QB and a huge cap space last two seasons getting beat to a pulp by the same team in same way for the 4th time in 3 years is a failure..

FO failed to bring in better talent to the team, fail. The coaches not getting the team ready to compete, fail. Oh, and the team as it is, with the talent level they have, still underperformed, fail.

Yes they reached afccg, but let's be realistic, the bengals and broncos were even bigger mess late in the season than the colts..

And, over the past 17 years, there are two reasons we are not those teams - we lucked into two once in a generation QBs. Unfortunately, to save our lives, we cannot build any sort of reasonably balanced teams around them.  We wasted Manning's career - on our way to wasting Luck's.  It's a good thing I am a selfish Colts fan, because if I were only thinking of their well being, I would be wishing they had been drafted by other teams.