Shaughnessy considers Colts a "tomato can."

ThatOneColtFan

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He said this last year too, he needs new material. I also fail to see how our playoff run has been unimpressive. Colts have already won two playoff games this year, both won by double digits. Pats struggled to beat a 6th seed at home and always struggle in Denver.

Ask the 2007 Giants, the regular season or past does not matter, they got revenge on GB, Dallas and NE in the playoffs despite losing to them in the regular season.

There is a lot to be gained in this game though for the Colts win or lose, eventually just like the old Manning Colts we will get better vs NE. We have all the adjustments to make, they don't.

Even if we lose I do believe the Colts will show improvements vs NE and more toughness. We have no pressure too, it is all on them. We have a lot to gain this weekend now and for the future.

Curly haired boyfriend as he is affectionately know in Boston....thanks to Curt Schilling....is not like by many in Boston and is a baseball fan boy that dabbles in football.

With that said I read a few comments saying this isn't the same team from weak 11...outside of Jones and Allen I ask how so, what has changed?

He said this last year too, he needs new material. I also fail to see how our playoff run has been unimpressive. Colts have already won two playoff games this year, both won by double digits. Pats struggled to beat a 6th seed at home and always struggle in Denver.

Ask the 2007 Giants, the regular season or past does not matter, they got revenge on GB, Dallas and NE in the playoffs despite losing to them in the regular season.

First I would say the Colts beat a team that has historically choked in the playoffs (current QB and Coach 0-4 in the playoffs) current coach 0-6 in the playoffs. A team that hasn't won a playoff game since 1991 (1990 season). Denver was clearly not playing well in the last month of the season or should I say Peyton. I thought going into Sunday that if the 1st half of the season Peyton showed up Denver would win, if the December Peyton showed up you guy's would win. Everyone saw how that turned out. 

The thing the Ravens and the 2007 Giants have that the Colts do not is a fearsome front 7 and that was mentally tough. The Colts defense is seriously lacking in many places and simply doesn't perform well against top ranked offenses. The Colts defense allowed 34.8 PPG on average in the 6 games it faced against top 10 scoring offenses which averaged 28.1 PPG on average (excluding the Colts games) for an average of 6.7 PPG over their season average. Allowing 30+ points in all but one of those games, 42 points twice and 51 once. One of which came in week 16. And the Colts were 1-5 in those 6 games winning the only game the defense held an offense under 30 points (Baltimore (13)).

IMO, the Colts do not have the mental toughness to come into NE and win.  

I wouldn't take Shaughnessy too seriously.  He is a local sports writer that cut his teeth in baseball which is really what he knows best.  He like the word tomato can.  He uses it a lot to describe the three AFC East opponents, calls it the tomato can division.  Mainly to take a shot at the Pats, either in the form that we can't help to win the division (and therefore the division titles are not that impressive) or that all we play are tomato cans and thus are not ready for playoff competition.   

He is a edgy writer that falls under the category of guys wanting to get attention by being edgy and trying to look "smart" with bold statements.  He is kind of like Bob Kravitz.

With that said there are few other talk show hosts and writers here think the same way, ugh. 

We see what happens on Sunday, should be a good game

Nothing would satisfy me more than to silence the arrogant Pats fans and analysts that are writing us off as an "easy trip" to Arizona. This is NOT the same team you faced in week 11 of the regular season.

Hey, don't lump *this* Patriots fan with Shaughnessy. I can't stand that guy. Total * in my eyes. I feel very good about the Patriots' chances against Colts (again), but Shaughnessy says stupid things every week it seems, so pay no attention to him.

First I would say the Colts beat a team that has historically choked in the playoffs (current QB and Coach 0-4 in the playoffs) current coach 0-6 in the playoffs. A team that hasn't won a playoff game since 1991 (1990 season). Denver was clearly not playing well in the last month of the season or should I say Peyton. I thought going into Sunday that if the 1st half of the season Peyton showed up Denver would win, if the December Peyton showed up you guy's would win. Everyone saw how that turned out. 

The thing the Ravens and the 2007 Giants have that the Colts do not is a fearsome front 7 and that was mentally tough. The Colts defense is seriously lacking in many places and simply doesn't perform well against top ranked offenses. The Colts defense allowed 34.8 PPG on average in the 6 games it faced against top 10 scoring offenses which averaged 28.1 PPG on average (excluding the Colts games) for an average of 6.7 PPG over their season average. Allowing 30+ points in all but one of those games, 42 points twice and 51 once. One of which came in week 16. And the Colts were 1-5 in those 6 games winning the only game the defense held an offense under 30 points (Baltimore (13)).

You clearly have never watched any Colts football games, have you??

GOOOOOOOOOOO Colts !!!

Curly haired boyfriend as he is affectionately know in Boston....thanks to Curt Schilling....is not like by many in Boston and is a baseball fan boy that dabbles in football.

With that said I read a few comments saying this isn't the same team from weak 11...outside of Jones and Allen I ask how so, what has changed?

The offensive line has played better for sure. Boom Herron has emerged as a solid runner. Vontae Davis is playing the best of any CB in football right now. The defensive front has found a way to stop the run. We are different, how much so remains to be seen.

Nice. You clearly know a lot, especially regarding mental toughness. You do know teams play (or can play) differently in the play-offs than in the regular season, don't you? You do follow football, and have seen remarkable turnarounds in form, haven't you, in past play-offs runs? Yes?

Well, you have a 50-50 chance of being the genius you appear to be. Good luck.

I am a NE fan, let me be clear about that but I would not take what he says with any value.  True fans of the game from either team realize that both teams who made it to this point are quality teams.  Of course I believe that the Pats will win the day but I think Luck will bring it and it will be more of a nail biter than people think.

I'd say good luck this weekend but I wouldn't mean it... haha

I wouldn't get worked up about it. Shaughnessy is a notorious crank. Not exactly one of our most cherished journalists in Boston.

Plus he looks like Napoleon Dynamite in his 50s. 

dan-shaughnessy.jpgEveryone has the right to be ugly, this guy abuses the privilege.

LOL... I'd actually consider him more goofy-lookin' than anything else. If you put him in fluffy slippers and made him keep his feet together, he'd look like a Q-Tip. 

So,, GoPats, did Brady really post this pic on his face book page?  I don't care for him at all being a diehard Colts Fan but would never have figured him to put such blatant bulletin board material out there.  He never seemed the type to do that.

He did... he (or probably a team of people who handle this for him, rather) has been pretty lively with his FB account this year. I don't think he's trying to be openly disrespectful, just having some fun is all... 

Hey, don't lump *this* Patriots fan with Shaughnessy. I can't stand that guy. Total * in my eyes. I feel very good about the Patriots' chances against Colts (again), but Shaughnessy says stupid things every week it seems, so pay no attention to him.

I've found respectable Pats fans but the majority I see on social media are arrogant and think everything belongs to New England. The majority ruin it for the minority.

Yeah..OK..so if the Chiefs were comming to town instead of the Colts, you would be predicting the Chiefs to route the Pats  ... correct?

He did... he (or probably a team of people who handle this for him, rather) has been pretty lively with his FB account this year. I don't think he's trying to be openly disrespectful, just having some fun is all... 

GoPats, what is up with Boston sports media.  First Shaughnessy makes his comments, then ex-tight end Christian Fauria prank calls a local radio show and acts like a total *, and then Zolak and his crew apparently get upset after A.V. was asked a question about him being in Indy about as long as he was in Boston does he consider himself a Colt more than a Patriot?  A.V. said that he appreciated everything that occurred in New England but that his kids have only known him as a Colt and he considers Indiana home now.  Is the sports media that desperate up there that they need to stir things up?

So apparently we are a joke that doesn't deserve to be here.

"On Sports Tonight, Michael Felger asked Shaughnessy if he considers the Indianapolis Colts a "tomato can."

"Of course they are, are you kidding me?" said Shaughnessy. "The Patriots have beaten them five straight times, the last three times by an average of 48-22… they got here inadvertently - Cincinnati, Denver - I'm sorry."

http://www.csnne.com/new-england-patriots/does-shaughnessy-consider-colts-tomato-can

Oh, ok. Goooooo Coooolts!!!!

Sorry that I couldn't quote it properly or if the link doesn't work. On mobile.

Shaughnessy is an * for making that remark. I'm a Patriots fan, and the worst thing you can do is to be arrogant and give the opposing team bulletin board material.

I've found respectable Pats fans but the majority I see on social media are arrogant and think everything belongs to New England. The majority ruin it for the minority.

MOB, you are unfortunately correct. I'm a die-hard Boston fan and I've found many other Boston sports fans who are outright ***holes to opposing teams and their fans, especially those 30 and under. We have been SPOILED since 2001 and I know that. I'm 47 and have lived through some of the worst Patriots teams in my lifetime. I've also struggled with the Red Sox (until 2004). I guess I'm in the Boston fanbase minority because I appreciate the competition and friendly banter between opposing fans. I'll go to a Red Sox game and speak to Yankees fans near me and go back-and-forth with them with sly remarks and friendly jabs. What I don't do is disrespect anyone or their allegiance to their sports team. I've actually bought beer rounds for Lakers fans at Celtics games and Yankees fans at Red Sox games. I'm there to have fun and enjoy myself, not get into a fight. I think Luck and the Colts have a great chance to win in Foxborough (if they play the game smart), so good luck to you and the Colts. BTW, thanks for Larry Bird....

If we win, I'm finding his address and sending him a case tomato soup. Who's with me?

That's easy, It's 58 Elmhurst Rd, Newton, MA. Dan Shaughnessy has been a Boston Globe reporter, mostly for the Red Sox and Celtics over his 30 year career, and he even annoys alot of Boston fans too! We're not too proud of him, believe me. He can be a * periodically.

Edited by 21isSuperman

That's easy, It's 58 Elmhurst Rd, Newton, MA. Dan Shaughnessy has been a Boston Globe reporter, mostly for the Red Sox and Celtics over his 30 year career, and he even annoys alot of Boston fans too! We're not too proud of him, believe me. He can be a * periodically.

Thanks bro! We will make sure to include one from some "locals" too

Leggo Colts Nation. When we win. Let's make sure he knows the Colts are mmm mmm good!

Nice. You clearly know a lot, especially regarding mental toughness. You do know teams play (or can play) differently in the play-offs than in the regular season, don't you? You do follow football, and have seen remarkable turnarounds in form, haven't you, in past play-offs runs? Yes?

Wow nice response I see you are a very level headed guy...what have the Colts done this season for you to think that they will go into NE and beat a healthy Pats team? A healthy or even remotely competent Manning playing last week would have ended your season.  

Edited by 21isSuperman

You clearly have never watched any Colts football games, have you??

GOOOOOOOOOOO Colts !!!

I've watched all but two (was traveling). Did you watch them play Dallas, NE, Pit, Philly etc....?

Edited by 21isSuperman

GoPats, what is up with Boston sports media.  First Shaughnessy makes his comments, then ex-tight end Christian Fauria prank calls a local radio show and acts like a total *, and then Zolak and his crew apparently get upset after A.V. was asked a question about him being in Indy about as long as he was in Boston does he consider himself a Colt more than a Patriot?  A.V. said that he appreciated everything that occurred in New England but that his kids have only known him as a Colt and he considers Indiana home now.  Is the sports media that desperate up there that they need to stir things up?

It's definitely one of the craziest sports media markets in the country. There are good writers, some not-so-good ones... I can see how not being familiar with them would leave one with the impression that they're all cranks.  ;)

Shaughnessy is basically just a tool, Fauria is one of those ex-players who still sort of massages his own ego a lot, and Zo... Zo is like your crazy cousin who always drinks too much at weddings but is really just a big lug, lol... 

As all things, take the Boston media with a grain of salt. Most sports fans I know up here are pretty level-headed so the media guys don't really represent us.

It's definitely one of the craziest sports media markets in the country. There are good writers, some not-so-good ones... I can see how not being familiar with them would leave one with the impression that they're all cranks.  ;)

Shaughnessy is basically just a tool, Fauria is one of those ex-players who still sort of massages his own ego a lot, and Zo... Zo is like your crazy cousin who always drinks too much at weddings but is really just a big lug, lol... 

As all things, take the Boston media with a grain of salt. Most sports fans I know up here are pretty level-headed so the media guys don't really represent us.

Didn't Fauria spend the bulk of his time with the Chiefs and then came to NE in his twilight years? or am I thinking of a different Fauria?

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, January 19, 2015 - baiting
Hidden by Nadine, January 19, 2015 - baiting

Did your young team at any point show ANY mental toughness tonight? Is Mensa still accepting applications?