Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

RBs in this coming draft

Holmes is up there, too. I think Thornton moves fine and is bigger and stronger than Holmes. Both are good athletes, though.

To the bolded, I don't think anyone associated with professional sports thinks that bigger automatically equals stronger.

That may be the case but there is no denying some like massive O Linemen  there 12 teams in the league that have an average weight of 313lbs or more among  there O Line group http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/9901/hefty-bills-o-line-must-size-up-on-field

But there are 13 teams that average 310 or less

Late round guys?

Jeremy Langford

Duke Johnson

David Cobb

Tevin Coleman

Amir Abdullah

The Colts should definitely take a RB in this draft. Just not early. 4th round or later. It's a plug and play position, and anyone would be an upgrade over Trent.

Tevin Coleman is not a late round guy.

IMO, its obvious that certain backs do better in the Colts O than others.  Ballard, Brown, Boom, and even Bradshaw are RBs that have some power, but are more quicker to line than a typical "power" RB.  These guys generally need a rotation system otherwise they can wear down.

What the Colt's don't need is a slow, plodding, power RB.  I'm Leary of any RB who is drafted with the expectation that he will carry 25 times a game.  I think their body type won't fit what the Colts need and they won't have much success.

• 2 weeks later...

I tend to agree that we need to focus on the O-line first and then plug and play a RB. However, given the success that Bradshaw had...what's everyone's thought on Shane Vereen? I have no idea what kind of contract he'll demand, but he seems like he could fit the Bradshaw role fairly well if we decide to part ways.

IF we sort the Oline early in the draft and FA...

Then I'd take either Tevin Coleman/Ameer Abdullah/Melvin Gordon/Todd Gurley

I also like Jay Ajayi from Boise State, if he declares he could be a nice late round pick up.

I also really like Ajayi, seems like a complete back with good speed and hits the hole in a hurry. If he lasts until our 4th, I hope we grab him. He'll probably go sometime in the 3rd though as I have a feeling he will test well at the combine.

I like Langford the best. I think he's a balanced RB. He's not only a power guy, or just a scat back. Just a good solid runner who is very patient. He was great in the bowl game today and showed he can also catch. I think he could be what Ahmad Bradshaw was for us. Chain mover and end zone threat.

I would be happy to get Coleman, however, I have been leaning towards Duke Johnson, he has broken Edge's rushing record and he can catch but what I don't know is how good of a blocker he is (havent watched much). If he is anything close to Edge...why would you not want to spend a 2nd round pick ??

I would be happy to get Coleman, however, I have been leaning towards Duke Johnson, he has broken Edge's rushing record and he can catch but what I don't know is how good of a blocker he is (havent watched much). If he is anything close to Edge...why would you not want to spend a 2nd round pick ??

Because you may want defense.....

Too many higher priorities ... plus you can easily get decent to very good RBs late in the draft; and with a good OL RB becomes somewhat a plug and play position in many ways, and all you need is an average RB to have a decent running game.

I don't know that he'd come out early (I think he's a RS Jr) but I wonder if a guy like Storm Woods of Oregon St. would do well with the Colts. He didn't put up yards or tds in bunches this season but he did have a high yards per carry behind a weak O-line and he's proven to be pretty good at receiving out of the backfield. He also put up 186 total yards against a good Oregon team. He's probably no more than a mid-round pick if he comes out but I could see him possibly being a good RB at the next level.

If he's available in the 2nd, I wouldn't mind grabbing him. It's always possible he rises up boards during the combine, senior bowl, interviews, and other stuff though. 

I can't see him making it past mid-2nd.

You may even see him jump up into the first once he runs at the combine.

For the love of God, don't spend a draft pick on a RB unless it's in the 7th round. Just bring in CJ Spiller and you don't have to worry about drafting one at all. So many needs to address, I'd hate to see a valuable pick used on a position as plug-and-play as running back.

I think a rookie salary would be a lot cheaper than Spillers veteran contract. A younger player is the answer, not a band aid.

There's a few I really like. Tevin Coleman was already mentioned. Also really like the kid out of Boise, he looks like a poor mans Lynch. Abdullah is small for my tastes but wouldn't be apposed to taking him. I'd be willing to use as high as a second round pick on a RB, though I'd prefer 3rd (depends how the board falls). But for the love of God not the first pick.

I think the ideal situation for me would be to cut Trent and Vick. Not re-sign Ahmad. Draft Ajayi in the 3rd. Then sign a veteran, for example, Spiller.

Our RB core would look something like Ajayi, Spiller, and Boom. I think that'd do if the O-Line would finally get put into shape, which I believe is a coaching problem.

Too many higher priorities ... plus you can easily get decent to very good RBs late in the draft; and with a good OL RB becomes somewhat a plug and play position in many ways, and all you need is an average RB to have a decent running game.

As long as those "priorities" have value at where we are picking. I think you get the BPA at every pick, drafting for "need" is a good way to make a team weak. As far as the RB goes, I don't want an average RB or just a decent run game, I want OUTSTANDING !! Yes, I know the O-line needs to be better to have this run game. Now, If there is a guard or tackle that is the BPA at the time of the pick, of course you get him, but if a Duke Johnson or a Tevin Coleman is the BPA I say you get him.

I think the ideal situation for me would be to cut Trent and Vick. Not re-sign Ahmad. Draft Ajayi in the 3rd. Then sign a veteran, for example, Spiller.

Our RB core would look something like Ajayi, Spiller, and Boom. I think that'd do if the O-Line would finally get put into shape, which I believe is a coaching problem.

Keep in mind that most of the O-line is young, more often than not it takes a few years for linemen to become elite or at least very good, I think we will see a big improvement from them in the next season, staying heathy will also help.

I think we need guy who can be a 3 down back. Abdullah could fill that role. I don't know much about the other potential college guys.

STRENGTHS: Runs low to the ground with excellent pad level and energetic feet to get the most out of every touch. Displayed improved vision, balance and finishing ability as a senior.

Langford is a workhorse type with a hard-nosed, no-nonsense style of running the ball, getting stronger as the game progresses. Has a little shake-and-bake to him to extend runs, keeping his legs pumping through contact.

Langford really shines in areas where most young backs struggle like pass protection, reliability in the screen game and also the ability to get stronger and better as the game goes on.

WEAKNESSES: Lacks ideal ankle flexibility to be overly shifty. Takes a moment to get back up to full speed after gearing down and needs to show better patience with a bad habit of running into his own blockers.

Although he's probably the third-best back in the Big Ten behind Wisconsin's Melvin Gordon and Nebraska's Ameer Abdullah, Langford is the type of prospect that grows on you and the gap behind Gordon and Abdullah isn't as big as most think.

--Dane Brugler (11/7/14)

Langford is the guy to get. He's the bell cow everyone is screaming for. Despite what Brugler says, hes a very smart and patient runner. He's more developed than most of the RBs coming out.

Injuries and lack of a veteran lineman is the reason the O-line is struggling, not coaching. Trent is still on his rookie contract and comes cheap. Maybe start using Trent like the Colts use to use Addai? Blocking and catching passes out of the backfield is something he is very good at. Trent has 229 yards with 21 catches. That's over 10 yards per catch.

Injuries and lack of a veteran lineman is the reason the O-line is struggling, not coaching. Trent is still on his rookie contract and comes cheap. Maybe start using Trent like the Colts use to use Addai? Blocking and catching passes out of the backfield is something he is very good at. Trent has 229 yards with 21 catches. That's over 10 yards per catch.

The colts most definitely don't lack veteran lineman. Costanzo, Cherilus, Reitz, Louis, Shipley just off the top of my head.

The colts most definitely don't lack veteran lineman. Costanzo, Cherilus, Reitz, Louis, Shipley just off the top of my head.

And how many of those mentioned have been injured or lost time due to injury? To have a good O-line players must play together in order to function.

"Injuries and lack of a veteran lineman is the reason the O-line is struggling, not coaching."

There have been many blocking assignments when we ran the ball that have just been bad....Example: Running to the side of the defense with the most numbers.......A Guard down blocking on a D Linemen when he is not covered(leaving a linebacker to just come right up and make the tackle) instead of shooting up the 2nd level to open up a running lane.

"Maybe start using Trent like the Colts use to use Addai?"

Pep has been doing that, The reason Trent has not gotten more is because he has shared snaps with Bradshaw and Herron

I cant see the logic in drafting a rb with a high pick, this line just is not good enough to warrant it, we can't run it up the gut with what we got and i really don't think either of the tackles are good enough to run it outside, we need some one like Tarrik Glenn out their to set the edge on the good old stretch play, how beautiful would that be,  boy i don't know what i miss more, the runs that came off that or the play-action passes, but either way I don't think Costanza or Cherrilus have the stones to pull it off and I know the middle would get blow up on the play-action..... but i tell ya It really was a thing of beauty..so don't waste draft picks on a rb early, learn from the past, get that o-line set and then work out the rest next year.