Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reggie's streak

ponyboy

That's two weeks now that the Colts have intentionally dumped a couple simple passes to Reggie at the end of the game just to extend the streak.  Once against the Bengals when Reggie was injured (and dropped three balls presumably due to the injured elbow) and again today in an otherwise kneel down situation. 

I love Reggie and I like the fact the streak continues, but it kind of cheapens it the way they've been keeping it alive.  I'm a bit surprised the coaches are doing that, but I have to think they wouldn't be forcing it if the game was on the line.

Does anybody know how close he is to breaking a record?

It annoys me.  Do what will win you the game.  The last catch Reggie had was for a loss of a few yards.  I don't like how they force him the ball just to keep the streak going.  I don't know if it's Luck or Pep or Pagano who is so adamant on keeping the streak alive (my gut tells me it's Pagano), but I don't like it.  The streak is going to end at some point, anyway.  Don't force the ball to Reggie; do what will win you the game.  If Reggie is open, sure.  If he's covered, don't throw the ball his way

Reggie is about done I hate saying it but he's getting old in football years he's not getting open like he use to or making those amazing catches we expect from him . If you have to force feed a receiver to get 3 catches they are not getting it done anymore .

That's two weeks now that the Colts have intentionally dumped a couple simple passes to Reggie at the end of the game just to extend the streak.  Once against the Bengals when Reggie was injured (and dropped three balls presumably due to the injured elbow) and again today in an otherwise kneel down situation. 

I love Reggie and I like the fact the streak continues, but it kind of cheapens it the way they've been keeping it alive.  I'm a bit surprised the coaches are doing that, but I have to think they wouldn't be forcing it if the game was on the line.

In his post-game remarks, almost at the very top,  Pagano said the reason they were throwing at the end was to move the ball and get the first down.    Said he was not trying to run up the score.    Said he made that clear to Bradley when they met at the end of the game.

That said....

We could've thrown the ball to anyone....   did they all have to go to Reggie?     No.

Bob Kravitz @bkravitz 7m7 minutes ago

I could be wrong but I got the sense Reggie Wayne wasn't happy about the way the colts forced his 2nd and 3rd catch.

There was one point in the game Reggie was wide open for a big play, but Luck's throw was off the mark ... he over threw the ball. I think there was one other throw as well where Luck 's throw was off, failing to adequately lead Reggie in a tight coverage where an accurate throw would have made the play.

During the streak, which has been going since 2008, Reggie has had games with 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15 catches. I think those games more than make up for one or two games where they forced the streak to stay alive. If and when anyone mentions this league-best streak as Reggie's career is remembered, no one but petty nitpickers will mention the one game in mid November when the Colts made a concerted effort to extend it.

If you go back to the end of Jerry Rice's career, you'd have seen several games where the Raiders opened up with a little slant or screen pass to Rice in order to keep his consecutive games with a catch streak alive. No one mentions that when remembering Rice's streak, or his career.

During the streak, which has been going since 2008, Reggie has had games with 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15 catches. I think those games more than make up for one or two games where they forced the streak to stay alive. If and when anyone mentions this league-best streak as Reggie's career is remembered, no one but petty nitpickers will mention the one game in mid November when the Colts made a concerted effort to extend it.

If you go back to the end of Jerry Rice's career, you'd have seen several games where the Raiders opened up with a little slant or screen pass to Rice in order to keep his consecutive games with a catch streak alive. No one mentions that when remembering Rice's streak, or his career.

i remember it being sad and pathetic

Really I could care less. All of these all-time streaks went through the same thing. It doesn't matter. Keep the streak going that's fine. As long as it doesn't interrupt the contest or jeopardize a Colts win. I'm not that much of a purist.

If luck was more accurate today we wouldn't be talking about it this week. Overthrew him wide open in the end zone and and overthrew him wide open on the side line. Plus another crossing route that was a tough throw but he was open. Catch streak and the 300 streak taken care of. Not on Reggie today. He was and still gets open more then enough to deserve a spot.

I think he broke the record a while ago, but yes you can clearly tell they are just trying to expand on that streak because when their guy in the booth notices that Reggie doesn't have 3 catches then they design some cheap dump off play for Reggie.

I think age is finally catching up with him too.  He's still got a little left in the tank but we've been doing a lot of the late game dump offs for Reggie this year which tells me he's not out their earning the catches during competitive game time.  

If luck was more accurate today we wouldn't be talking about it this week. Overthrew him wide open in the end zone and and overthrew him wide open on the side line. Plus another crossing route that was a tough throw but he was open. Catch streak and the 300 streak taken care of. Not on Reggie today. He was and still gets open more then enough to deserve a spot.

The one overthrow Reggie gave up on the route. He did kind of a double move, then sat, then saw the ball coming and tried to catch up.

Idk if he's frustrated or what but I've never seen him give up on a route like that.

I cared more about Andrew Luck's 300+ yards a game streak. They should have forced that. They could've done that easily since T.Y. had something to play for that game. I'm sure he burnt Dwayne Gratz to a crisp more times than just the time he got that touchdown. Luck was only 47 yards short. Should've just started going into 5 WR sets or something.