Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Norv Turner To Be Fired At Seasons End.

Case

Norv is a bad coach. Nit as bad as jik but still very bad. I want him to stay away. I'd consider a coach like fisher or gruden to be what our team needs.

Ugh...the calls for Gruden make no sense. Is it because he yells? I mean, he took Dungy's team to a Super Bowl, and then got steadily worse. In other words, he is a loud version of Jim Caldwell. A lot of players say they couldn't stand playing for him (no, I am not going to link the sources...do that research yourselves), and he's stated that he has no desire to come back to coaching. Just because a coach is obnoxious, doesn't mean it will inspire, toughen, or light a fire under any players.

Ugh...the calls for Gruden make no sense. Is it because he yells? I mean, he took Dungy's team to a Super Bowl, and then got steadily worse. In other words, he is a loud version of Jim Caldwell. A lot of players say they couldn't stand playing for him (no, I am not going to link the sources...do that research yourselves), and he's stated that he has no desire to come back to coaching. Just because a coach is obnoxious, doesn't mean it will inspire, toughen, or light a fire under any players.

Imo he is not obnoxious at all. Gruden can inspire, he respects peyton a lot, and seems like a coach who would go for it on 4th and short and a coach who wouldn't run out the half in the super bowl by calling three straight stupid running plays.

I agree with this. I don't think Gruden will help the team

Just wondering what you guys think about maybe turner being colts new head coach. I personally would rather have Jeff fisher but I hear people saying they want turner.

So let me get this straight people want to hire a guy who is a career .500 coach and has a history of choking in the playoffs and has won one playoff game with the Chargers against a team not named the Colts and has never been to the Super Bowl despite probably having more talent than any other team in the NFL over his time there as coach and is in the middle of a horriable season with his franchise QB? At least Jim Caldwell can say he didn't have Peyton Manning. No thanks on Turner.

Jeff Fisher on the other hand I would be all for. In fact he would be my first choice. I think he's done more with less than any other coach in the NFL and I would like to see what he can do with a team with a QB like Manning. If Manning isn't healthy though maybe we go after a younger coach like a Zimmer or something.

I think he would be a great OC. But with Peyton, what role will he have?

An OC doesn't just work with the QB. He works with everyone on the offense, and helps the coaches (and PM) great gameplans. The OC's role is a big role.

Just to build on this Jim Caldwell showed a lot of emotion on Sunday did it change things? Nope. Being firey doesn't make you a good coach or do a better job reaching his players. Tony Dungy was one of the most beloved coaches in NFL history an those players would run threw walls for him largely because he didn't yell at them.

I still go back to something Phillip Wheeler said at the start of the season when he was asked about Caldwell not yelling and he said "You have to remember we are grown men and no grown man needs another man yelling and screaming in his face. We know when we screw up and that we have to do better that's on us. They tell us all the time they only keep self starters around here and if you aren't a self starter you aren't going to last very long here."

I've never heard anyone but fans question if Jim Caldwell reaches the players. In fact the players I've heard asked about him and the media guys speek very highly of Caldwell being able to inspire the players.

The problem with Caldwell is that I am not sure if he has the right message not so much how he's getting it across. I would even say the bigger problem is still just a flat out lack of talent namely at the QB spot.

No one asked me, Norv would be at best a side step or possibly even a step down from Caldwell IMO.

The only way someone is a step down from Caldwell is if they enter the Colts building intoxicated, have to go to their parents funeral the very same day, and if they do not have a tongue.

Thank you and well said.

An OC doesn't just work with the QB. He works with everyone on the offense, and helps the coaches (and PM) great gameplans. The OC's role is a big role.

It's a big role on any other team. Peyton controls the offense and calls the plays. Look and clyde christensen, totally clueless about playcalling. Peyton did all the work. I think the OC just gave him suggestions for a play, in the end, peyton did what he wants.

Just wondering what you guys think about maybe turner being colts new head coach. I personally would rather have Jeff fisher but I hear people saying they want turner.

Are you kidding me. Norv NEVER wins anywhere he goes. SD would have won a superbowl, had they kept Schottenheimer

He's a better coordinator, just like Phillips. Phillips has done a great job in Houston and even though he changed them to a 3-4, the change took only adjustments and not a complete overhaul.

Turner might work well as an OC somewhere. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I thought he was an OC at Dallas years ago.

SD must be dealing with FO problems as well. I also think Rivers is injured. Although he can throw a temper tantrum better than my 7 year old, he's a pretty good QB.

Although both Turner and Caldwell are the worse NFL head-coaches, Caldwell did a horrible job with a talentless and injure-depleted team, while Turner has been wasting the talents in San Diego for many years. Seems for me Turner is a worse one and deserves to be fired even more.

Anyway at least Bob Sanders has not landed on the IR list for a team with much better record.

Norv will be better than Clyde Christensen for playcalling as an OC. He will in fact extend our playbook if he works with Peyton and our O will be less predictable, IMO. He would be a coach, like Tom Moore, that will not be in awe of Peyton and will demand the respect of Peyton or any other Colts QB. Norv has run plays for Troy Aikman and company as well, he has done it for a long time, he is a good playcaller for the offensive side.

Norv as an OC, Jack Del Rio as DC with Jeff Fisher as head coach does not sound bad to me if things turn out that way. There will be mutual respect across the board for all the roles that each will play, IMO. The key is that everyone from top to bottom be open to schematic changes on D, even if it means getting rid of a bunch of players on our D.

I don't see why we should have Turner as our coach. Look at the talent he had on his teams earlier on in his career. LT, Sproles, Gates, VJax, Rivers playing well...and yet, 0 championships and very few (if any) playoff wins. He won't help us, in my opinion

True, but what few playoff wins he has ,he got on us.