Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Patriot Game Can Reshape the Playoff Picture

Archer

I know this is very premature, but I heard several times after the Pats/Broncos game how the Patriots are in the driver's seat for the AFC playoffs.  They have a 1/2 game lead over Denver and the head-to-head tie-breaker.  They also have at least a one game lead over everyone else in the conference.  However, if (when?) the Colts beat the Patriots next week, then the Colts will have the same record as NE and the head-to-head tie-breaker.  Denver would probably be in the driver's seat in that case, as they would likely have a game lead on NE and Indy, plus the tie-breaker on Indy.  It sort of shows how important this game is to the AFC picture. 

I know this is very premature, but I heard several times after the Pats/Broncos game how the Patriots are in the driver's seat for the AFC playoffs.  They have a 1/2 game lead over Denver and the head-to-head tie-breaker.  They also have at least a one game lead over everyone else in the conference.  However, if (when?) the Colts beat the Patriots next week, then the Colts will have the same record as NE and the head-to-head tie-breaker.  Denver would probably be in the driver's seat in that case, as they would likely have a game lead on NE and Indy, plus the tie-breaker on Indy.  It sort of shows how important this game is to the AFC picture. 

This game is huge for seeding purposes.  A Colts win sets them up very nicely for a great shot at a top 2 seed.  Their schedule is favorable after this game.  New England has a tougher road - after Indy the Pats have Detroit and then road games in Green Bay and San Diego.  

A Colts loss on the 16th put them 2 games - actually 2 1/2 behind the Pats and even with their preferred schedule making that up in 6 games will be virtually impossible.

I just don't see us competing with the Pats

Why not?  Ran across this on boston.com.  One of their hometown commentators, Steve Silva, says the Colts will "smoke" the Pats, because "Andrew Luck is the best QB in the NFL right now."  Check it out:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/2014/11/06/silva-are-pats-really-the-nfl-best/sjwo5DliAfjIjxBc58MMzH/video.html

yes, huge game for seeding. If Pats win, they are in great position for the 1 and even better position for the 2. Although, I do agree with the poster about the division. Both Miami and Bills are only one game behind the Pats in the loss column. But you can only take care of the teams in front of you. Beating Denver was huge because both the Fins and Bills still have to play Denver. 

Why not? Ran across this on boston.com. One of their hometown commentators, Steve Silva, says the Colts will "smoke" the Pats, because "Andrew Luck is the best QB in the NFL right now." Check it out:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/2014/11/06/silva-are-pats-really-the-nfl-best/sjwo5DliAfjIjxBc58MMzH/video.html

I'd love for that to happen, but this regime has been annihilated by NE every time. Only Orlovsky has scared them in recent memory.

I just don't see us competing with the Pats

That is an odd statement. I look at what the Patriots have done, and yeah the offense has been clicking lately... but the defense especially the run defense is bad. If the Colts can get a decent run game going along with Luck being able to move around we should be able to beat them here at home fairly easily. The key is playing smart football, and guys not fumbling. 

That is an odd statement. I look at what the Patriots have done, and yeah the offense has been clicking lately... but the defense especially the run defense is bad. If the Colts can get a decent run game going along with Luck being able to move around we should be able to beat them here at home fairly easily. The key is playing smart football, and guys not fumbling.

I don't think its so odd, we have never matched up well with the Pats.

Yes, this is the most important game of the year.  IF we were to lose, I would imagine we wouldn't have a shot at a first round bye because we would be 2 games behind and not own the tie breaker, while still having to face DAL.  If we win it keeps pace with the other teams and with our weak schedule, I think we can at least get the #2 seed.  It appears that we will be able to sweep the division and the only other surprise we could get is from Cleveland if we aren't taking them seriously.  Other than that we should walk to a first round bye if we win the game.

Maybe....let's see how Dallas and Cleveland progress. Those will be two tough games.

Dallas depends on if they have romo. The Brown's are the team I'm thinking could play the spolier part this year. They are looking good and thats without their top WR

We as fans can focus on anything we want. It's the players who need to focus on winning the division.

Okay, make your own bed of disappointment then.

Colts won't be the #1 seed

Just baffles me how the forum praises the team soo much on here yet hide behind hopes of getting a high seed. Gotta beat the top dawgs on the road to be in Arizona come February

To be the best, you gotta beat the best. Beating New England next Sunday will mean nothing but temporary bragging rights if we still gotta go to their house in the playoffs and lose

But hey, to each their own.

We're a lock to win the division, seeding IMO is more important at this point.

Wouldn't say lock. 2 game lead and Mallet is a question mark. We don't know what he'll be for their offense. Texans are only a game manager QB away from being a threat.

Then if Clowney ever gets on the field with Watt and stays there..... Problems.

Texans aren't as bad as people make them seem.

Qwizboy & Vance will soon be very active here in this :colts: section of the forum if/when the Texans get it together

If Pep calls a game like he did @ NY..... Yeah. We're gonna get embarrassed at home and on NATIONAL television!!!! :panic:

But seriously though you're right, their running defense is suspect. Pep would be a fool not to take advantage and that will also shorten the game for the defense who will have their hands full covering gronk and others

Okay, make your own bed of disappointment then.

Colts won't be the #1 seed

Just baffles me how the forum praises the team soo much on here yet hide behind hopes of getting a high seed. Gotta beat the top dawgs on the road to be in Arizona come February

To be the best, you gotta beat the best. Beating New England next Sunday will mean nothing but temporary bragging rights if we still gotta go to their house in the playoffs and lose

But hey, to each their own.

Wow, you compounded a bad post with a worse one.

1)  As many have said, as it relates to the division or seeding it matters not one iota what is said here.  Why we need to focus is a mystery.

2)  However if the focus needs to be on the division, isn't a really good way to head down that path with a win over the Pats, which along the way helps with seeding?

3)  They may not be the # 1 seed but with it not ruled out just yet wouldn't it still be a worthy pursuit with, you know, just under half of the season still left to play?  Still the # 2 seed is a pretty achievable.

4)  And your last line is mind-boggling / numbing - so beating the Pats means nothing if they have to go to NE and play them in January.  Well how about this as an idea - beat the Pats next week to give yourself the best chance to not have to go up there.

Why not?  Ran across this on boston.com.  One of their hometown commentators, Steve Silva, says the Colts will "smoke" the Pats, because "Andrew Luck is the best QB in the NFL right now."  Check it out:

Can't say that I buy the bolded statement.  Don't believe he will be the best QB on the field next Sunday much less the best in the NFL.  Luck is coming into his own but he isn't he best in the game at this juncture.

Colts will not smoke the Pats but are at risk of getting smoked as their previous matchups with New England have been mismatches.  If the Colts do win it will be a nail biter.  Pats offense is a matchup problem for our defense.  Brady will likely exploit our linebackers & corners in coverage with short dump offs to Gronkowski and Edelman.  Colts defense has not yet shown that they can stop the short passing attack and Brady is a master at that.  The only thing that gives me some semblance of hope in this one is the fact that the Colts finally get the Pats at home.  If the Colts defense plays with fire...they have a shot.  We will need Luck to limit his turnovers if we are to have a shot at winning this one.  IMO, the Colts will have to limit the Pats scoring to the low 30's and score in the mid to upper thirties themselves to win.  That would be an improvement considering they have given up 50+ & 40+ to the Pats in their last two previous meetings.

I hate to say this but I do not see the patriots game as even being close. if ben r can put 50 points on us imagine what tom will do.

I think it is going to be ugly. Yes. I know the game is in Indy.

New England doesnt exactly have the plethora of quality receivers that Pittsburgh has.

I hate to say this but I do not see the patriots game as even being close. if ben r can put 50 points on us imagine what tom will do.

I think it is going to be ugly. Yes. I know the game is in Indy.

You clearly do not watch much football if you think you can link unconnected games and come up with a logical forecast based on those previous results. Think Tampa. Think Chiefs.