Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pats/Denver thread - snow in forecast (merge)

amfootball

Here we go. Brady/Manning. Manning/Brady for the 16th time! I can't wait. Glad this game is now when both teams, especially the Pats are playing their best ball. I feel like this game has so many interesting Xs and Os match ups. How will Denver cover Gronk? How with Pats defend the Thomas' and handle Sanders speed? Will Denver run like they did last year given that is the Pats weakness or will they take it to the number one pass defense? Will Browner and Revis man-up or play zone? What sweatshirt will Bill wear?

Oh and by the way, there is snow predicted in the forecast for Sunday. Of course, right? First snow of the season just for Manning. The high is only supposed to be 37 for the day so by the time kick-off comes at 4:25 p.m. it will be below freezing with most likely a wintry mix between rain/snow/sleet falling. I love New England weather. :)

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am expecting a classic. This has been the best rivalry in sports for the past 14 years ....

Talib will be on Gronk but he will have safety help. No one can handle him one on one. 

I would think Revis and Browner will man up on Demarius and Sanders with Browner taking the more physical Demarius and Revis taking the speed of Sanders. Julius will be tough for them, maybe Jaime Collins with safety help?

Denver should run but I think they will pass just because their offense is so potent. I expect every slant route to be contested by the Pats. If the weather is bad, Bill will take away everything underneath and make Manning throw deep to beat him which should force errant throws. This is why I think Denver has to run because the Pats are weak there and the conditions won't be great for throwing.

Yeah the weather looks iffy on Saturday but Sunday is shaping up to be a little better than forecasts said yesterday. I'll take anything... wind, rain, snow, whatever. Advantage Patriots if it's not sunny and mild.

The Pats will probably defend this way, based on what I'm seeing in the news this week and on recent weeks/games:

- Browner will cover Julius Thomas, not a receiver. He was assigned to Martellus Bennett quite a bit last weekend. JT is basically a big receiver, not so much a TE, and Browner has the size to match up with him.

- Revis will be on D. Thomas. This will be one of the games where they give him a ton of responsibility and ask him to earn that huge paycheck.

- They'll play a combination of guys on Sanders. Slot corner (Logan Ryan) plus safety help maybe. I don't know if Dennard is hurt but he was inactive last weekend. 

My bet is that they stay exclusively in sub packages... wouldn't surprise me, except in any possible goal line situations, if the Patriots are in a nickel, big nickel (3 safeties), or dime for the majority of the game. Not only does that play to their strength (the secondary), but it will mean fewer linebackers on the field, and right now they're thin at that spot. 

They'll concede the run to a great extent, like we've seen before, and make it too tempting for Manning to audible off to run plays with a smaller, lighter sub-package. 

If Hillman has a huge game, my bet is that the Patriots win it. Usually that sounds crazy, but in this case, it means you tried to force Denver to run the ball by showing strong against the pass pre-snap. 

Offensively I don't know what the plan will be... they've had some guys emerge the last few weeks and have more options than they did at the start of the season. Edelman has been quiet but I think this will be a big game for him. I see Vereen getting the ball a lot as well. 

Where are you seeing that? The forecast I saw said the high would be 37 for the day and that there was a 40 percent chance of snow/80 percent chance of precipitation and winds at 19 mph.

Yeah, weather.com states 38 F with an 80% chance of precipitation and winds at 19 mph for Foxboro, MA for Sunday.

There is a misconception that Manning can't play in snow which is incorrect. The reputation came from the playoff games in NE but those losses were due to NE defense getting him off the spot (to the left where he's vunerable) and disrupting the timing plays which was all he could do back then.

Seem to me looking at him late it's just not all timing passes.

There is a misconception that Manning can't play in snow which is incorrect. The reputation came from the playoff games in NE but those losses were due to NE defense getting him off the spot (to the left where he's vunerable) and disrupting the timing plays which was all he could do back then.

There is no misconception he can't win in Foxboro I am pretty sure he is 1-8 there including a loss last year.

There is no misconception he can't win in Foxboro I am pretty sure he is 1-8 there including a loss last year.

He is 2-8 there (winning in 2005 40-21 & 2006 27-20) and 3-2 away from NE, if I am not mistaken, including the playoffs.

They are even in the playoffs 2-2 with home field deciding the winners in both cases.

Will the Pats play in Denver next year?

Pats play in Denver from 2015-2017 if both teams win their divisions in 2014 and 2015. 2017 matchup is purely AFC West - AFC East once in a 3 year rotation. 2015 & 2016 matchups are based on similar standings in divisions.

Peyton went from the Colts who were to face NE in NE in 2010-2011 to the Broncos scheduled to face NE in NE from 2012-2014, just terrible timing from having to play in NE for 5 consecutive years :) (good for Pats fans though). He spared himself 1 year of NE road trouble in 2011, haha. Out of those 5 years, in 3 games at NE, 0-3 (2010, 2012, 2013), and the odds may state he might be due for a win, who knows.

Pats play in Denver from 2015-2017 if both teams win their divisions in 2014 and 2015. 2017 matchup is purely AFC West - AFC East once in a 3 year rotation. 2015 & 2016 matchups are based on similar standings in divisions.

Peyton went from the Colts who were to face NE in NE in 2010-2011 to the Broncos scheduled to face NE in NE from 2012-2014, just terrible timing from having to play in NE for 5 consecutive years :) (good for Pats fans though). He spared himself 1 year of NE road trouble in 2011, haha. Out of those 5 years, in 3 games at NE, 0-3 (2010, 2012, 2013), and the odds may state he might be due for a win, who knows.

Yeah he might be due. But he got the bigger win last year in the AFCCG.

I stand corrected. It's going to be about 36 degrees throughout the game (4:30-7:30) with a chance of occasional light rain. With that said Foxboro is in a weird weather spot. I only live 15 minutes southeast of Gillette and it can be much colder there than at home. There's a natural weather valley with the moisture from Mount Hope and Narragansett Bays meeting up with the cold air from Canada and the Berkshires. last weekend it was raining at the game and the sun was shining at home. Those familiar with the area know that the weather can really change dramatically at the Burger Kings (Routes 24 & 495). So I guess what I'm saying is a have no idea what it's going to be like in Foxboro on Sunday. :scratch:

I stand corrected. It's going to be about 36 degrees throughout the game (4:30-7:30) with a chance of occasional light rain. With that said Foxboro is in a weird weather spot. I only live 15 minutes southeast of Gillette and it can be much colder there than at home. There's a natural weather valley with the moisture from Mount Hope and Narragansett Bays meeting up with the cold air from Canada and the Berkshires. last weekend it was raining at the game and the sun was shining at home. Those familiar with the area know that the weather can really change dramatically at the Burger Kings (Routes 24 & 495). So I guess what I'm saying is a have no idea what it's going to be like in Foxboro on Sunday. :scratch:

They keep changing it, because what I saw yesterday looked more along the lines of what you saw. But now yeah, 30s and light rain. 

There are a lot of topographical aspects when it comes to weather. I work in Lowell but live about 20 miles west of here, and it's a couple hundred feet higher in elevation. That makes all the difference.

This is nothing compared to where I was living and working in NH, in the White Mountains. It would be sunny and nice at my house, and 40 miles north at work it would 20 degrees colder, snowing, and ten times as windy.

I think any inclement weather is to the Pats' advantage. I was at the early snow game in 2009 against the Titans (6 first half TDs by Brady) and the Tennessee players just looked like they wanted to go home. 

Best post in this thread.

It's crazy in the White Mountains. I left Wildcat last year and had to stop before a got to 93 for 15 minutes because I couldn't see more than 10 feet (really) once I was able to get underway it was beautiful down in Lincoln.

Yeah that's home, lol... 

I've been to a lot of places but the weather up there is like no other. 

Good thing he's had a dome and then the fair Denver weather.

• He’s 2-8 in which the game temperature is below freezing (32 or below), 0-2 in any game below 20 and 2-5 in games between 20-29
  • But once the temperature goes above freezing (32), he gets markedly better, 6-5 in games where the temperature is 30-39 and 11-3 in games where the temperature is 40-49
  • He’s 8-13 in games where the game time temperature is below 40
  • Effects seem to wear off once the temperature hits 50

The weather definately favors NE since it should eliminate a lot of big plays down the field....they will play up close and physical. Should be interesting to see how the officials call the game....on both sides because I've seen Denver be just as physical with receivers. Talib and Revis will both be on the big receivers...Lafell and Thomas. Both teams have an advantage at TE...but NE more because they have two good TEs and we saw Denver gets shreaded by physical/talented TEs already. I think Wes and Emmanual will see lots of slants and underneath routes to keep passes short and deal with the weather...probably lots of bubble screens and see if NE tackles. Denver MUST be able to run the ball. I look for them to use a very similar game plan they did last year. If their defense doesn't fall apart in the second half due to injuries it should be a close game. It really comes down to tackling on both sides (keeping guys in front and short of the sticks) and taking care of the ball. Denver for some reason makes some dumb mistakes like special teams or fumbles after the catch...can't have any of those. Denver has a better pass rush but Tom isn't holding onto the ball....look for him to get rid of it in record time this week. Should be an exciting game. Advantage NE with the home field and noise/conditions...this is the best scenerio they could get to beat the broncos...interesting to see what happens...both qbs playing top of their game. Bill vs Del Rio....huge advantage Pats defense...HUGE lol...the game to watch next week!!

Good thing he's had a dome and then the fair Denver weather.

• He’s 2-8 in which the game temperature is below freezing (32 or below), 0-2 in any game below 20 and 2-5 in games between 20-29
  • But once the temperature goes above freezing (32), he gets markedly better, 6-5 in games where the temperature is 30-39 and 11-3 in games where the temperature is 40-49
  • He’s 8-13 in games where the game time temperature is below 40
  • Effects seem to wear off once the temperature hits 50

He's a Southern boy, what do you expect? :)

The weather definately favors NE since it should eliminate a lot of big plays down the field....they will play up close and physical. Should be interesting to see how the officials call the game....on both sides because I've seen Denver be just as physical with receivers. Talib and Revis will both be on the big receivers...Lafell and Thomas. Both teams have an advantage at TE...but NE more because they have two good TEs and we saw Denver gets shreaded by physical/talented TEs already. I think Wes and Emmanual will see lots of slants and underneath routes to keep passes short and deal with the weather...probably lots of bubble screens and see if NE tackles. Denver MUST be able to run the ball. I look for them to use a very similar game plan they did last year. If their defense doesn't fall apart in the second half due to injuries it should be a close game. It really comes down to tackling on both sides (keeping guys in front and short of the sticks) and taking care of the ball. Denver for some reason makes some dumb mistakes like special teams or fumbles after the catch...can't have any of those. Denver has a better pass rush but Tom isn't holding onto the ball....look for him to get rid of it in record time this week. Should be an exciting game. Advantage NE with the home field and noise/conditions...this is the best scenerio they could get to beat the broncos...interesting to see what happens...both qbs playing top of their game. Bill vs Del Rio....huge advantage Pats defense...HUGE lol...the game to watch next week!!

Talib will be on Gronk, Chris Harris will be on Edelman and Roby will be on Lafell, I can almost see this from a mile. Remember Talib vs Jimmy Graham? If JDR has half the brain that Belichick has, that is what he will do. Brady will go after Roby, yes but being an outside wideout, routes might take longer to form and that is where the pass rush of Miller and Ware will become relevant.

Tim Wright, because of his run blocking not up to snuff does not see many snaps unless the Pats fall behind or they use him more in red zone looks. He can be a matchup issue in which case they will ask T.J.Ward or Rahim Moore to pick him up.

But in the base nickel, the bolded stuff above makes the most sense for the Broncos' D.

CBS = 4:35 EST

60% chance of rain or light snow,....Upper 30s for a late afternoon start

The annual AARP special..the 16th meeting of old timers Peyton Manning and Tom Brady..

Pivotal game of the AFC season. A Denver will puts them 2 games up on the entire AFC with 8 games left.

All kinds of primo matchups including NE's Darelle Revis against Denver's Demariyus Thomas

A team quarterbacked by Manning or Brady has won eight of the last 13 AFC titles.

With the ether the way it is....take NE and the points. But do it now. that spread might narrow as the week goes on.

Over-under is 55 and that may lower as well

Best post in this thread.

I'll add- he was all about timing passes early in his career which mostly worked except physical teams that beat the

receivers up. I kept thinking man just move and make plays.

First game 2006 Colts vs Giants he did just that and made plays to win which otherwise would have been a loss that game.

Seeing that, I had a feeling the colts would win the SB that year- despite the run yards given up like the 375 jags and most all colts were complaining one and done. But they had found ways to win despite the run defense woes and that's a mark to note. Even in Foxboro when the colts won, twice we had Manning dead to rights and he scrambled and made the passes.