Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts make practice squad moves

MTC

Colts worked out both of them earlier today. Konrad Rueland played with Andrew Luck in Stanford.

List of players we worked out today:

What is the word on these guys have heard the name Jeff Demps but not sure where or why never heard of Konrad Rueland .

Jeff Demps is the fastest man in the NFL. He won a silver metal at the Olympics in the 4x100 relay. I'd love to see him get a shot at KR and PR though I think he was underwhelming with the Bucs.

Rueland is a kid who went to Notre Dame,  then transferred to Stanford.

I believe he's the last transfer Stanford football has taken.

Solid tight end....  6'6" and about 260+....   

This was a few years ago....   not sure where he's been the last couple of years....   likely on the PS of other teams...

I heard somewhere that the Colts are ranked #5 in kick return yardage. Whalen has done a good job, however not a great job -- but still-- is this something that we should mess with right now?

Outside of the obvious starters & contributors, you should always be looking for improvements

That mindset is what has made Grigson the GM he is today

Demps is absolutely stupid fast. Like, Chris Johnson, Dri Archer fast. Problem is he's like 5'4" 75 lbs. Be cool to see him get a couple carries during the regular season. Don't really have a big play threat from the RB position like that. 

Demps is absolutely stupid fast. Like, Chris Johnson, Dri Archer fast. Problem is he's like 5'4" 75 lbs. Be cool to see him get a couple carries during the regular season. Don't really have a big play threat from the RB position like that. 

Yeah, no size. But Colts.com has him listed at 5'7", 191 pounds. Sproles -- the automatic comparison, I think -- is listed as 5'6", 190 pounds. 

:shrug:

In high school there was a kid on my team we called "Full Speed". In a straight line he would outrun pretty much anyone. He was like 4.3 speed but if he needed to cut he would come almost to a complete stop. I think that may be Demps' problem too; insane speed, bad agility.

Yeah, you're very rarely going to have open field running like he saw in college. A shifty guy will be a better returner than a straight line guy.

Yeah, you're very rarely going to have open field running like he saw in college. A shifty guy will be a better returner than a straight line guy.

Devin Hester was a straight line guy & so is DeSean Jackson they do perfectly fine. Just gotta block for the guy who's returning

I hope this guy gets to have the punt return duties over Whalen. Absolute speed demon.

If this guy isn't Darren Sproles I don't know who is.  I'd like to see him used in the exact

same way in this offense if we ever give him a chance.  I'd love to see him get out on 

a couple screen passes, toss and zone stretch plays. One cut and gone!

Whatever hasn't worked in his other NFL stops I hope it gets fixed in Indy.

His straight line speed is crazy ridiculous!!!!

And sign this guy to active roster as out PR/KR now!!!!

Whalen is dependable but PR/KR is a position that you can mess with and not mess much of anything up chemistry or team wise. It would be nice to have such a dangerous weapon back there! T.y. Is not a good guy for it becuase of injury concerns.

A boost to the return game would be great. If we are 5th in yards it has to be total yards not per attempt that goes to the D. We would be really good in all 3 phases then.

What happened to the OG Josh Walker? I liked him in the preseason. Did we cut him or someone sign him away?

Devin Hester was a straight line guy & so is DeSean Jackson they do perfectly fine. Just gotta block for the guy who's returning

If we look at their 3 cone from the combine compared with some "shifty" runners (a good measure IMO of their agility AND speed):

Jackson 6.82s (4.35 40)

Hester 6.78s (4.41 40) 

Sproles 6.96s (4.47 40)

Bush 6.57s (4.38 40)

Peterson (Patrick) 6.58s (4.31 40)

So yeah I wouldn't say they are just "straight line" guys, sadly I can't seem to find a 3 cone for Demps (4.26 40). But as we can see 3 cone time and 40 time aren't directly linked. 

As long as he can catch and secure the ball BEFORE taking off to run I say give him a shot. 

I am a big Whalen fan, i'll admit.  But that's because outside of 1 bad game he has been solid at securing the ball and getting positive yards when he can.  You never see him go backwards once he has the ball to lose yards.  Its always forward for a positive gain or fair catch.  He is reliable.

That being said, it would be nice to have somone that is explosive that you could put back there if the opposing offense was pinned back at their 20 or 10 that could have a shot at a good return. 

There's a heck of a lot of difference between straight line track speed and shifty pads on speed. 

I've always been of a mind that the 3 cone drill time is far more telling that the 40 time at the combine. 

Exaclty.  You have to get 5 yards before you can get 50, if you know what I mean.  All that speed doesn't matter if you can't get away from the first couple tacklers.

Maybe we should temper all those comparisons to Darren Sproles until Demps gets more than one carry in the NFL?  Or is every small fast guy Sproles?

Exaclty.  You have to get 5 yards before you can get 50, if you know what I mean.  All that speed doesn't matter if you can't get away from the first couple tacklers.

Maybe we should temper all those comparisons to Darren Sproles until Demps gets more than one carry in the NFL?  Or is every small fast guy Sproles?

It was part of the CBA, every small shifty runner must be labelled the new Darren Sproles.