Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Next Head Coach

Bleedin Blue

My mistake. I thought I inserted something into my post about Pepper as the DC, but I did not. I absolutely agree, I'd love to try him out at DC and not head coach quite yet. Toub is the only guy I thought of as an HC candidate. Curtis Johnson was an offensive coordinator candidate, though I didn't note that either. I swear I meant to. Good call.

I think the concern over a nose tackle is a good one, but if you hire a guy like Johnson, you obviously draft for him as well. I think there would likely be a move made in the draft to pick up a bigger nose tackle type if that is what they decide the new defensive approach mandates. My assumption is that any new DC worth his weight (and some of them weigh a ton) would build upon what is here and not completely start over, especially considering the draft positioning this year. Obviously the defense is atrocious, but there are still some components who are of high caliber (Freeney being the most obvious). It would be curious indeed, though, to see what kind of defense the team would end up with.

All great thoughts. I agree completely. I don't care whether we run a 3-4 or a 4-3, but with Freeney and Mathis, it doesn't make sense to flip to a 3-4 because they'd be less effective. Freeney would be useless, if you ask me. So I'm assuming that we keep a four man front so that we don't have to replace our most effective pass rushers. Can Pepper Johnson do that? Of course we draft for him, but we're still a win-now team, especially assuming Manning is back. If he wants a 3-4 in three years, I'm on board. But not now.

I agree with the idea of Spagnuolo, though. There are a ton of pieces already in play here that could really excel in his kind of scheme. I was just trying to mention less big names, and Spagnuolo (if he gets fired) will be a hot commodity.

Yup. I said before that I think it's unlikely that either he or Norv Turner would come here (both good coordinators, but if I had to choose it would be Spags easily). If he's at the top of my list, he's probably at the top of a ton of lists.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a different twist on this topic, i was reading that A.J. smith and Norv maybe on their way out in SD. What if the rumors are true that Polian could be gone also. It might be a good move to get A.J. to run the Colts with Norv as a OC. He has excelled as an OC not a HC.

Smith has gotten a lot of props on how he built the Chargers.

Just a different twist on this topic, i was reading that A.J. smith and Norv maybe on their way out in SD. What if the rumors are true that Polian could be gone also. It might be a good move to get A.J. to run the Colts with Norv as a OC. He has excelled as an OC not a HC.

I do not want the King of NO Rings, openly the most stubborn person in the NFL, running my favorite team.

Outside of this forum, where have you seen rumors that Irsay will fire both Chris and Bill Polian?

OK, What do you think is wrong with my list?

(Of course, I am assuming Norv and Spagnolo will be fired both of which look pretty likely)

I see 3 possible problems

1) Schottenheimer might not want to coach anymore

However, I think he might have a few more seasons in him for a legitimate title shot.

2) Possible friction between Marty and Norv over the San Diego firing

3) Norv & Spagnolo will attract a lot of interest from other teams driving their cost up

It's got Marty Schottenheimer on it.

Two, I am not going to pretend to know more than a family who's done this for decades. They can evaluate which coaches are a better fit for us.

I don't think anyone on this board is in a better position than the Polians to evaluate who can coach this team best, but the point of the forum is to discuss things. Technically, pretty much all football decisions are best left to people who have been doing it for a long time, like the Polians, but then there would be no use for the forum. It's fun to throw in your 2 cents, see what others have to say, maybe learn something and have some fun with it. Who do you personally want to see as our next head coach?

I really hope we hire a defensive minded coach, i do like fisher , mike zimmer or if they go offense minded i like brian billick. if you are going to change, then change. dont promote within, because that is not change. imo

I couldnt agree more, We need a completley new mindset on Defense aka no more tampa 2, Hiring some one else with different beliefs could changes our defense for the better imo.

I have never seen a more clueless list of coaching suggestions than in this thread.

Why do you always bash other peoples opinions but seldom offer any ideas of your own? Please bestow your infinite wisdom upon the lowly commoners.

It's got Marty Schottenheimer on it.

The coach with the 2nd highest winning percentage after Cower (whose success is largely due to Lebeau in my opinion) of any of those currently available. He has a record of impressive turnarounds. I put him on the list to instill discipline and motivation as he did in San Diego.

The coach with the 2nd highest winning percentage after Cower (whose success is largely due to Lebeau in my opinion) of any of those currently available. He has a record of impressive turnarounds. I put him on the list to instill discipline and motivation as he did in San Diego.

He is nearly 70 years old. He will just simply not be a candidate.

My top 3 choices are: Gruden, Fisher, or Zimmer (Bengals D coord)

Honestly though, I'd almost take anyone over Caldwell.

I'm iffy on Gruden. Shaun King recently came out and said that he felt that if Gruden wasn't the centre of attention, he wasn't happy and would do what it takes to have the attention focused on him. I understand you want to take the heat and have your players' backs, but you don't want to go to the media and make a fool of yourself so every media outlet is writing about your team. He is also very offensive minded, I personally would prefer a defensive guy to be our next head coach.

I like Billick, but he is an offensive minded guy. I think we need a defensive minded guy. Peyton will take care of the offense (assuming he's healthy, which I think he will be), we need a solid defensive minded coach

I know what you mean, but I like Billick also.

I always thought he was a leader, and let the coordinators do their jobs.

He always had a very good DC with him.

What about the greatest show on turf's Mike Martz? Just throwing a name out there.

I like Billick. I like Gruden, but wouldn't want him as a coach. He can be in the role of cheerleader, though.

I'm not a Mike Martz fan, at least not for the Colts.

Funny you should mention him though. With Coyer's comments earlier this week on not being able to run the defense he wanted to here, that's the exact same situation Martz is in here in Chicago.

No way would I want Tressel as our OC. He runs a big ten offense and that doesnt work in the NFL if you really want to win Championships. He might be a good HC. But, he needs a solid NFL play caller. I would like to see Del Rio as our DC though. Even though he sounds like an exotic tropical destination for spring breakers. I am not sure who would be a good fit at OC for us right now. I think we should keep Christensen. I believe he just really didnt have alot to work with when Peyton couldnt play. Lets not forget that Peyton will be back next year.

I know what you mean, but I like Billick also.

I always thought he was a leader, and let the coordinators do their jobs.

He always had a very good DC with him.

I agree. For HC I don't think we necessarily have to go offensive or defensive minded, but rather with a guy who is a great motivational leader and an excellent teacher. A guy who can manage a game, work with both coordinators to game plan for each game and who can evaluate both player talent as well as coaching talent. A guy who understands that he has to coach the players AND the other coaches. Also a guy who will make the tough decisions when necessary for the better good of the franchise. A guy who has fire and emotion but also possesses the ability to control that emotion when needed and can also channel it correctly. These are all the reasons why Billick has always been my top choice. I'd love to see him back on the sidelines even if it's not with the Colts, though I hope not with the jags just for the fact I'd prefer he not go to a division rival. :)

However just to clarify, that doesn't mean I wouldn't give equal consideration to many of the talented coordinators and/or college coaches who may be interested in the job. My preferences would currently be Mike Zimmer, Chuck Pagano or Rob Ryan assuming they would be allowed to run the defense the way they want to and not be handcuffed into running the cover/tampa 2 (and that's assuming the reports about Coyer not being able to run the defense the way he wanted were true).

No way would I want Tressel as our OC. He runs a big ten offense and that doesnt work in the NFL if you really want to win Championships. He might be a good HC. But, he needs a solid NFL play caller. I would like to see Del Rio as our DC though. Even though he sounds like an exotic tropical destination for spring breakers. I am not sure who would be a good fit at OC for us right now. I think we should keep Christensen. I believe he just really didnt have alot to work with when Peyton couldnt play. Lets not forget that Peyton will be back next year.

1st and goal from the 3. 1:15 to go. 3 timeouts left. Down 8. Painter at QB. Brown healthy. Carter heallthy.

OC calls two consecutive pass plays.

WHAT???? Putting the ball in the hands of Curtis Painter for the win.???

He's already thrown 2 interceptions today.

You are s.h.****** me ! ! !

Christenson MUST go also.

I agree. For HC I don't think we necessarily have to go offensive or defensive minded, but rather with a guy who is a great motivational leader and an excellent teacher. A guy who can manage a game, work with both coordinators to game plan for each game and who can evaluate both player talent as well as coaching talent. A guy who understands that he has to coach the players AND the other coaches. Also a guy who will make the tough decisions when necessary for the better good of the franchise. A guy who has fire and emotion but also possesses the ability to control that emotion when needed and can also channel it correctly. These are all the reasons why Billick has always been my top choice. I'd love to see him back on the sidelines even if it's not with the Colts, though I hope not with the jags just for the fact I'd prefer he not go to a division rival. :)

However just to clarify, that doesn't mean I wouldn't give equal consideration to many of the talented coordinators and/or college coaches who may be interested in the job. My preferences would currently be Mike Zimmer, Chuck Pagano or Rob Ryan assuming they would be allowed to run the defense the way they want to and not be handcuffed into running the cover/tampa 2 (and that's assuming the reports about Coyer not being able to run the defense the way he wanted were true).

I agree with Zimmer.

I don't know anything about Pagano.

I'm not for Ryan. Good DC, but I don't care for his demeanor. DC perhaps, but not HC.

Agreed, i also like Rob Ryan, i think he would bring a defensive mindset that we really need assuming Tampa 2 isnt forced down his throat.

I like Defensive Coordinators who have had head coaching experience and have failed and are now going back to what they are good at...coordinating, knowing they will never get a head coaching job again : ) ...ala Wade Phillips, Dick Labeau, etc... I'm thinking Del Rio would kick butt after what he's been through in Jacksonville. So, yes, I would take him. I would like Billick as HC, Del Rio as DC, and someone creative like Mike Martz, but not Mike Martz. He has too much baggage.

For the next HC:

Brian Billick- Been there done that. SB champ. Solid coach. No complaint if we got him.

Greg Williams- Runs a base 4-3 but has shown 3-4 packages and is aggressive.

Mike Zimmer- players seem to love playing for him, always has a solid defense

Dom Capers- Great defensive coordinator. As long as he would take a similar approach to what Dungy did (not touching the offense) he could be a great selection, only he runs a 3-4. Do we have the personnel?

for the DC:

Steve Spagnoulo: excellent DC, even better Dline coach. Runs a 4-3

Jack Del Rio- Solid DC, head coach not so much, but usually has his defense ready to play.

OC is really Peyton so anyone who can get on the same page as him im good with.