Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Next up (Week 6), at Houston Texans

BlueShoe

If our O line can atleast do OK against Watt I will be overjoyed not an insult to our line just Watt is a freak haha

I would not be surprised to see a lot of the unbalanced line like in the Eagles game.  If Watt lines up on the strong side then do the counter to the weak side or a play action pass and the Colts have two tackles to take him, if he lines up on the weak side then run to the power side and take him out with the pulling guard.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would not be surprised to see a lot of the unbalanced line like in the Eagles game. If Watt lines up on the strong side then do the counter to the weak side or a play action pass and the Colts have two tackles to take him, if he lines up on the weak side then run to the power side and take him out with the pulling guard.

That would be smart and could work well it did fantastic in the eagles game

Really who is very good outside of Watt ? I know he's stud and wrecks games by himself but really who else is there that stands out .

Not every good player is going to show up on the stat sheet. There are even times when Watt himself won't show up (on the stat sheet), but his presence at the line will impact the play regardless, with his teammates reaping the benefits. Cush, JoJo, Swearinger, Lewis, these guys have been solid for us. Watt, of course, will get all of the attention because of who he is, and he definitely deserves it. But it's a myth that he is the only player who ever does anything in this defense.

Not every good player is going to show up on the stat sheet. There are even times when Watt himself won't show up (on the stat sheet), but his presence at the line will impact the play regardless, with his teammates reaping the benefits. Cush, JoJo, Swearinger, Lewis, these guys have been solid for us. Watt, of course, will get all of the attention because of who he is, and he definitely deserves it. But it's a myth that he is the only player who ever does anything in this defense.

Obviously other players contribute, but who else do the Texans have that are game changers?

It's a serious question because I don't know, I have not watched the Texans at all this year.

Obviously other players contribute, but who else do the Texans have that are game changers?

It's a serious question because I don't know, I have not watched the Texans at all this year.

Andre Johnson is still Andre Johnson, and he may not even be our number one anymore, believe it or not. Nuk Hopkins has been impressive and has stepped up his game big-time, making the catches that need to be made in order to sustain drives. Arian, despite his injury woes, is still averaging almost 5 yards a carry and his back-up, in the little carries he's gotten, has looked good as well, including receiving. Our defense leads the leagues in forced turnovers as well, our secondary being a major part of that. We aren't the Texans of old offensively because Fitzpatrick may be a liability in the long run but I think we have enough playmakers to make a push for a winning season.  

I pray that the plan was never for Fitz to "take us" anywhere. As the preseason continued & it looked more & more like he was actually going to be our starter... I cried. Like a baby, I cried. What really sux now, is that it appears OB & the team are getting too attached to him & they're probably going to do something stupid like try to win a play off game with him. 

I know... I know, we're not going to get to the play offs. But it looks like these !#$!^%$# are going to try, when we should be having weekly tryouts at the position. 

I believe that when it is all said and done, the Texans will see a need to trade up next year to get a franchise type QB.  So I do believe your pain is only temporary.  I was a Colt fan prior to Peyton, and I know how frustrating it is to not have a guy at the helm who has the ability to win any game. 

I gotcha. But nobody has talked about how great our defense is either though.

True dat. I guess we got hyped up by analysts due to having the number one overall pick, though he hasn't seen the field since week one. But I think the media is slowly backing away from the talks of us having a great D, especially after the NY fiasco.

Andre Johnson is still Andre Johnson, and he may not even be our number one anymore, believe it or not. Nuk Hopkins has been impressive and has stepped up his game big-time, making the catches that need to be made in order to sustain drives. Arian, despite his injury woes, is still averaging almost 5 yards a carry and his back-up, in the little carries he's gotten, has looked good as well, including receiving. Our defense leads the leagues in forced turnovers as well, our secondary being a major part of that. We aren't the Texans of old offensively because Fitzpatrick may be a liability in the long run but I think we have enough playmakers to make a push for a winning season.  

Well, I thought we were talking about defense (JJ Watt and all) but it's what I thought.  Outside of Watt you have solid players but no real game changers.  Not that one is needed outside of Watt.

Watt is my favorite non Colt player to watch.  He is the most dominate player in the NFL right now and has been for a couple of year.

I think this game will continue the streak of blowout thursday night football games in our favor.

The Texans offense is not the strongest in the NFL, but their defense is the real deal.  I don't share your view of the looming blow-out. 

The Texans defense matches up pretty well against the Colts.  It should be an interesting game.

Right on I watched all Texans games just seemed like a below average front 7 minus Watt maybe he is just so good everyone else look like they are in slow motion . I guess with all the talk about there D I expected a bunch of game changers .

It is a short week, and we are on the road. 

Win this one and we have sole possession of the AFC South.

Houston (3-2) results thus far:

Week 1) Beat Washington 17-6

Week 2) Beat Oakland 30-14

Week 3) Loss to the New York Giants 17-30

Week 4) Beat Buffalo 23-17

Week 5) Lost a close game to Dallas 17-30

The Texans have played 3 NFC East teams (1-2 record), and have a 2-0 record against AFC teams. 

Your thoughts?

Houston (3-2) results thus far:

Week 1) Beat Washington 17-6

Week 2) Beat Oakland 30-14

Week 3) Loss to the New York Giants 17-30

Week 4) Beat Buffalo 23-17

Week 5) Lost a close game to Dallas 17-20 ,OT.

tuff game this thursday. texans defense is rank 3

I expect the Colts to come unstuck. 

It's a short week and if Fitzpatrick can play average, Houston have the weapons to hurt a Colts defense that has been flattered by playing the Titans and Jags. 

Indy will struggle to get a running game going, I'm sure Trent will average under 3 yards per carry and will probably throw a fumble or two in there for good measure. The Colts were fairly horrible on offense against the Ravens and I don't see them doing anything about it during a short week.

Just say you are a Texans fan instead of hiding behind a Colts avatar.   A drunk Texans fan at that if you think any of that stuff in your post is real!

Just say you are a Texans fan instead of hiding behind a Colts avatar.   A drunk Texans fan at that if you think any of that stuff in your post is real!

I've been a member here for over  year, I assure you I am not a Texans fan.

I also don't see how you can say that nothing I said is real. 

You don't think Indy's defense benefited from playing the Jags and Titans, two awful teams? That doesn't make any sense.

You think Houston don't have weapons? Foster's rushing total is third in the league. Hopkins has 3 TDs and over 350 yards. Johnson is over 300 yards.

You think Trent is going to run the ball well against Houston's D? I doubt it.

You think Indy's offense wasn't horrible against Baltimore? Interception in the red zone, fumble in the red zone, another interception, failure to convert on 4th and short. Yeah, that was a stellar performance from the offense...

So, nothing I posted was "real" enough for you?

I don't know why anyone would think the Colts are a weak team, they should be 4-1 with wins vs the Ravens & Eagles, they just simply gift wrapped the Eagles game. They only lost to Den by 7 and and have lost by a total of 10 points in the first two games against the best teams they will face all year. They annihilated out two weak teams and somewhat handled a Balt Ravens team in which they left a min of 6 points off the board with terrible redzone turnovers.

To me it's way too early to tell how good this team is in general but if they get a 4th straight win that would be a great sign, if they blow this and get beat decisively that would be a bad sign being that this is a huge divisional game.

It's still TBD on how good this team is but I sure as heck wouldn't even consider them a weak team even if they do lose this Thursday, which they won't :)

I've been a member here for over  year, I assure you I am not a Texans fan.

I also don't see how you can say that nothing I said is real. 

You don't think Indy's defense benefited from playing the Jags and Titans, two awful teams? That doesn't make any sense.

You think Houston don't have weapons? Foster's rushing total is third in the league. Hopkins has 3 TDs and over 350 yards. Johnson is over 300 yards.

You think Trent is going to run the ball well against Houston's D? I doubt it.

You think Indy's offense wasn't horrible against Baltimore? Interception in the red zone, fumble in the red zone, another interception, failure to convert on 4th and short. Yeah, that was a stellar performance from the offense...

So, nothing I posted was "real" enough for you?

We benefited from playing the Titans and the Jags is your claim, but in the same breath you say Houstons D who has played literally no one is going to stuff Trent?  Trent who ran well against the Ravens whose D is better than Houston now is highly likely to fail against the Texans who have played no one? Gee what a fair assesment you give!  On top of that we are a running back by committee team.  I guess you feel Bradshaw is going to get stuffed as well by this team(Texans) that everyone knows isn't very good against the run.  

Once again it's funny to me how you hype the Texans whose opponents have been mediocre, and within the same breath point out concerns for the Colts victories over mediocre oppenents. Not only have the Texans played low level opponents, but Fitpatrick although experienced just isn't very good.  Yes they have some weapons but the poor guy isn't that good at utilizing them. Plus he's going against one of the top secondaries in the NFL at this point and time.  If(and it's likely) he can't throw then do you really think they are just going to run all over us?  Don't get me wrong I like Foster, but we have'nt given up a 100 yard game to any team this year.  I like our chances!

Your claim about us benefiting on defense by playing 2 sub par teams is a bit fuzzy. Especially when the claim is being made directly after allowing Baltimore(a team that was about the number 7 offense in the league) a whopping 13 points, plus sacking them 4 times, and not allowing 100 yards rushing. Isn't Baltimore better on offense than the Jags, Texans, and the Titans? Do you give the Colts any credit for this in your analysis? What evidence exists to consider Houstons potential offensive explosion?

Indys offense was not horrible against Baltimore.  True we faced a good opponent, but you're kidding yourself if you think we had trouble moving the ball against the Ravens.  We were in the red zone on several occasions and made mistakes on our own. If we were horrible we would not have had so many red zone trips.  We would have been struggling just to get to their side of the field.  We had over 400 yards of offense and between Bradshaw and Richardson we had about 117 rushing yards.  Gee that's horrible!

IMHO, this is the most important game this season for the Colts.  It is worrisome that they are going on the road in a short week.  The Texan fan Qwizboy makes a good point:  Cushing, Joseph and Lewis are all good players.  They had a nightmare season last year when their QB imploded.  If the Colts win in Houston, it is very difficult to see how Houston can win the division.  Tennesee and Jacksonville are already cooked.   Put another way, I think this game is for the division title, at least from the Colts perspective.  Prediction?  Colts win a close one in a fierce battle.

We've done so the past 2 years and won both. 

1. Neither of those were thursday night games

2. You didn't win here in 2012.

Our secondary is banged up right now. Foster, Cushing, Watt, and AJ have injury concerns. We are hurt much earlier than most other teams, which isn't good.

We have quite a mighty turnover ratio right now, and if we keep that going and don't turn it over ourselves, we can get it done.

I would not be surprised to see a lot of the unbalanced line like in the Eagles game.  If Watt lines up on the strong side then do the counter to the weak side or a play action pass and the Colts have two tackles to take him, if he lines up on the weak side then run to the power side and take him out with the pulling guard.

I think it will play out this way as well. Also a lot of quick passes in this game I think 

read the funniest thing on texans forum the thread was created with this

After a very tough fought loss to the Cowboys in Dallas, the Texans will come home and dominate a weak Colts team. 

No Running game. No offensive line. Luck is easily rattled when his hurried. Their defense is suspiciuosly weak. 

I can't see anything but a dominating win here at home by our Texans. 

Let's go get win number 4! 

Texans 34

Colts 10

like wow come on i no the person is a homer but really think they gonna dominate us like that lol 

he/she has 2 more days to revel in that unrealistic fantasy......i'm surprised he/she didn't add and that Reggie Wayne is soooooo slow and over the hill.

Indy is "historically" pretty good on Thursday night....

The more I think about it ...  i think this is a blow out.     

JMO  

I hate the short week on the road. I would feel much better if this game was in Indy. I honestly think it could go either way.

Our secondary is banged up right now. Foster, Cushing, Watt, and AJ have injury concerns. We are hurt much earlier than most other teams, which isn't good.

We have quite a mighty turnover ratio right now, and if we keep that going and don't turn it over ourselves, we can get it done.

Of course the Texans, or as you like to call them, "we", can get it done.  Any team can win on any given Sun... erhh, Thursday.  If Houston does win it will not a upset of monumental proportions.  And I do think being the home team on these Thursday night games is a distinct advantage.  But I also think the Colts have such a huge advantage at the most important position in the game that a Texans win is unlikely.

We've been able to win on Thursdays.  With the exception of our Thanksgiving games (2004 and 2007), all of our modern day Thursday games have been close.  We've only had the one home Thursday game (2011) so going on the road to win in a short week never mattered to us.

Earlier in the season when Hou was 2-0, they reminded me a bit of the 2008 Titans.  They've struggled since and the main difference is that Kerry Collins protected the ball in 2008 - Ryan Fitz does not.  Houston will only go as far as their QB takes them and that's why the Texans won't win the division.  Their QB's ineffective play will negate any strides their running game and D makes.  If they had an elite QB or a mistake-free game manager, then they would be a playoff contender.

I think we'll win another Thursday game and hopefully continue our huge TOP advantage and run out the clock in the 4th quarter.

Colts 23 Texans 17 

I don't believe that a trend like we've seen with Thursday night games can sustain itself. That being, an average point disparity of approx 29 points. 

I think this is much closer than what we've seen on Thursday night in 2014. 

We win, of course. I don't take Houston seriously. I didn't last year when people were trying to crown them before the season started, and I don't this year. 

im not talking about vs the texans. I'm talking about how we have experienced a road game on thursday 2 years in a row.

I think the Irony is that Luck has carried your team for the last 3 years. TY's cool & all that, but that's Andrew Luck's show. 

Not really ironic, because Luck doesn't play DE.

You can get pretty far with an elite QB "carrying" you.  Peyton Manning carried a garbage Colts roster to the Super Bowl in 2009-10.