Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grading Out The Titans

Dark Superman

The TE Walker is playing great and was all world against us last year, wr wright is also playing well but we've had much more success covering the WR's. Their special teams were absolutely putrid last week and I can't imagine they'll repeat that performance. They moved the ball against Cincinnati but kept shooting themselves in the foot *2 missed field goals, bad punts, bad punt coverage.

I say don't make mistakes that give them life, Walker gets a nickel corner with safety help.

Im not familiar per-say, but from a cursory glance

1) Their QB situation is a head scratcher. Jake Locker is in his make or break year and so far has 1 make game and 2 break games. He's also injured (again) and may not even play on Sunday, which means Indy may see Charlie "Clipboard Jesus" Whitehurst.

2) On paper, their wide receivers should be a strength, but the group has been slumping through the first quarter of the season. Whether it's the hot and cold QB play of Locker or still adjusting to Whiz's offensive scheming and constant personnel adjustments in game, it's hard to say.

3) Their defense is actually ranked fairly high against the pass, but can struggle against the run.

Other than that, it's the same old Titans we've come to know and love with the head scratching penalties and overall undisciplined play that ultimately shoot themselves in the foot. When fully healthy, they average out to be exactly middle of the pack in everything, but a lot of that involves wild swings from looking great to suddenly looking awful.

They have an excellent offensive line (in my opinion its the best in the NFL). The Titans offensive line can take over a game. Michael Roos, Andy Levitre, Brian Schwenke, Chance Warmack, Michael Oher. 

Delanie Walker is having another stellar year. He is a very legitimate offensive threat. Although the Titans use a running back by committee, Bishop Sankey looks to be the future. Wide receivers are not stars. 

They Titans also have some very good defensive players. Jurrell Casey, Derrick Morgan, Bernard Pollard, Jason McCourty

The Titans are not consistent, and although Ken Whisenhunt has made his mark on the offensive side of the ball, as a head coach his teams tend to be defensively dominant and offensively weak. 

They have an excellent offensive line (in my opinion its the best in the NFL). The Titans offensive line can take over a game. Michael Roos, Andy Levitre, Brian Schwenke, Chance Warmack, Michael Oher. 

Delanie Walker is having another stellar year. He is a very legitimate offensive threat. Although the Titans use a running back by committee, Bishop Sankey looks to be the future. Wide receivers are not stars. 

They Titans also have some very good defensive players. Jurrell Casey, Derrick Morgan, Bernard Pollard, Jason McCourty

The Titans are not consistent, and although Ken Whisenhunt has made his mark on the offensive side of the ball, as a head coach his teams tend to be defensively dominant and offensively weak. 

Their offensive line has had hard struggles and between Levitre underachieving for them and a few injuries looks vulnerable.

As mentioned above, Delanie Walker is questionable for the game with injury.

The most prominent thing about the Titans is not just inconsistency, but wild inconsistency where the same players can look completely different from play to play. As an opponent, they are a strange combination of non-threatening and scary.

Their offensive line has had hard struggles and between Levitre underachieving for them and a few injuries looks vulnerable.

As mentioned above, Delanie Walker is questionable for the game with injury.

The most prominent thing about the Titans is not just inconsistency, but wild inconsistency where the same players can look completely different from play to play. As an opponent, they are a strange combination of non-threatening and scary.

Not sure why you quoted me twice.

I will stick to my original statement - The Titans offensive line can take over a game. 

As far as Walker, questionable does not mean out. Unless he is ruled out then I am expecting him to play.

We obviously see the Titans with a different eye, and even the one thing we do see similar, you want to debate.

They have an excellent offensive line (in my opinion its the best in the NFL). The Titans offensive line can take over a game. Michael Roos, Andy Levitre, Brian Schwenke, Chance Warmack, Michael Oher.

The Titans are not consistent, and although Ken Whisenhunt has made his mark on the offensive side of the ball, as a head coach his teams tend to be defensively dominant and offensively weak.

You're my boy blue! But did you happen to watch them play the Cowboys? I know it's only one game but both sides of the ball looked horrible, just horrible. That was in their house also. Not sure if it's more of dallas's line is more suited for the run but they had huge running lanes. But tenn out a lot of pressure on Romo, I do remember that. I just remember watching the hole game thinking how bad they suck and thought they were supposed to take a step forward. Who knows, guess we'll see Sunday.

Walker is hurting. He hasn't practiced this week

Delanie Walker (shoulder) returned to Titans practice Thursday, getting in a limited session.

It puts Walker on pace to suit up against the Colts. Even with Jake Locker (wrist) likely to be sidelined, Walker will be a TE1. Backup Charlie Whitehurst is among the league's preeminent check-down artists. He's going to pepper Walker and Kendall Wright with short passes.

Sep 25 - 2:51 PM

You're my boy blue! But did you happen to watch them play the Cowboys? I know it's only one game but both sides of the ball looked horrible, just horrible. That was in their house also. Not sure if it's more of dallas's line is more suited for the run but they had huge running lanes. But tenn out a lot of pressure on Romo, I do remember that. I just remember watching the hole game thinking how bad they suck and thought they were supposed to take a step forward. Who knows, guess we'll see Sunday.

I agree.

They will likely be an up and down team for a while, and that makes them unpredictable. 

My guess is Colts 34 Titans 17.

Im not familiar per-say, but from a cursory glance

1) Their QB situation is a head scratcher. Jake Locker is in his make or break year and so far has 1 make game and 2 break games. He's also injured (again) and may not even play on Sunday, which means Indy may see Charlie "Clipboard Jesus" Whitehurst.

Just looking at Charlie Whitehurst's stats...do you realize that Andrew Luck has completed more passes in the first three games this season (86) than Charlie Whitehurst has completed in his entire NFL career (84)?  It doesn't look much better for ol' Charlie in the TD pass department either.  Charile - 3 (career), Andrew - 9 (3 games).  I know. You can't take anyone in the NFL lightly. Any given Sunday and all that.  But "Clipboard Jesus" is going to have to pull off a miracle of biblical proportions to beat the Colts this week. 

Bishop Sankey looks to be the future. yes. look their first 3 games  he learning  how play in nfl every week getting better. think with are defense upgrades we keep them at bay. big question is their qb make are break them .

I don't really believe the Titans pass defense is as good as the numbers suggest.  Their run defense sucks so bad that teams spend most of the time running against them.  It makes the passing numbers look better than what they really are capable of.

Very true. I think it all comes down to Pep. We easily have the offensive talent it will come down to play calling this Sunday.

Lol... it all comes down to Pep... just my lord the OC can never win.

It all comes down to how Luck plays. If he's streaky Pep will probably take the game out of his hands and let the run game take over since they are weak against the run. Pep will do what needs to be done as he has been doing all season. The question will be will the players execute.

Just looking at Charlie Whitehurst's stats...do you realize that Andrew Luck has completed more passes in the first three games this season (86) than Charlie Whitehurst has completed in his entire NFL career (84)?  It doesn't look much better for ol' Charlie in the TD pass department either.  Charile - 3 (career), Andrew - 9 (3 games).  I know. You can't take anyone in the NFL lightly. Any given Sunday and all that.  But "Clipboard Jesus" is going to have to pull off a miracle of biblical proportions to beat the Colts this week. 

I don't have anymore likes, but wanted to make sure you new this post was appreciated. :)

Bishop Sankey looks to be the future. yes. look their first 3 games  he learning  how play in nfl every week getting better. think with are defense upgrades we keep them at bay. big question is their qb make are break them .

I agree. Sankey is starting to get more reps, and it probably will not be long before he is getting the majority of the snaps. I hope we can delay his good start for another week. ;)

I don't really believe the Titans pass defense is as good as the numbers suggest.  Their run defense sucks so bad that teams spend most of the time running against them.  It makes the passing numbers look better than what they really are capable of.

Krunk, that very well could be true. We do see this often in the NFL. 

Good post man!

1.I think we can shred the hell out of them with in Counter plays and delayed hand offs on 2nd and medium and 2nd and short situations on a few timely plays and getting Luck on the move in the pocket and doing this out of multiple formations,

2.The Titans play a lot of off Man coverage with Blidi Wreh Wilson...I'd line up Hilton out wide across from him a couple times later in the game once you see the same thing going on and burn him on the slant or Hitch and Go because they will play with a single high Safety early on 1st and 2nd Downs, I'd take a couple shots down the field once I crossed the 50 if they showed this look,

3.Titans switched to a 3-4 defense this year....Delayed hand offs to take advantage of there OLB's rushing up field without regard for the run game

Jump on them early using short to medium efficient passes getting Luck on the move, Take a couple shots down field as you cross the 50 on 2nd and medium and 2nd and short situations, Throw in some counter plays as the game progresses once you see Titans ILB's biting on Lucks roll outs using Allen to pin down the OLB which should leave big cut back lanes

Dexter Mccluster. The only reason I am a colts is because I live in Oxford Mississippi and have been an Ole Miss fan my whole life. After following Mccluster's career with the chiefs, he is explosive. We have to watch out for him on kick offs and punt returns, as well as sometimes the bubble passes. If he gets into open field, he is gone. He is not the titans superstar or even anywhere near super relevant, but he could be a factor.

Michael Oher has had an OK career in the NFL, but nothing like the way the Blind Side portrays it. The left side of their O line is decently weak so it could be a hole