Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

luck vs wilson

CR91

Wilson has been lucky to ride behind that juggernaut of a defense. How good would

he have done the last couple of years playing with the Colt's roster and team's injury list?

I actually like the kid a lot. Smart kid, down to earth, would love to have him if we didn't already have Luck. My only problem would be, and to answer your question. How could his body hold up taking the beating Luck has? Was listening to the radio today and they said Wilson has been sacked more than Luck. Think a lot of that has to do with Lucks sheer size and being able to break tackles and throw with defenders draped around his body.

I don't care if the entire poll went for Wilson.  As far as my team is concerned I WANT LUCK!  There is no more debate for me

For me, the ironic thing is this: Skip Bayless on ESPN First Take loves to claim that Luck has been prematurely coronated as the next elite QB & yet Skip raves endlessly about how smart RW is, how he avoids the big hits, & makes good decisions with the football. 

Skip I saw RW play at Camp Randall at UW-Madison a lot as a graduate student. He's good, but he darn sure isn't elite. Put him on the Browns or Jags & let's see him win a SB. Jesus Skip, Andrew Luck has an inconsistent line, a hit or miss running game, & he is always expected 9-10 times to win from behind. Luck is bleeping amazing given his surrounding cast which doesn't always catch passes when they are needed the most. I love INDY as a squad & I am not slamming any unit BTW or player etc. 

Did you see what RW did when the Broncos D started sacking him yesterday. He turned into a mortal not a QB god & let's see what RW does when he gets his fat new contract & all those defensive & secondary pieces start to disappear because they can't afford to keep all these premier pieces on their roster. Luck gets hit all the time, does more with less, & he always gives us a shot to win. I revere Andrew forget RW because Luck can take a beating & still wins tight games every single Sunday baby.  :blueshoe:  :thmup:

Oh & before anyone says that winning a SB ring makes a QB elite I say look at Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, & Phil Sims not upper crust field generals at all in my estimation. So RW winning a ring says more about his surrounding cast of Lynch, Chancellor, & Sherman than him alone.  

I actually like the kid a lot. Smart kid, down to earth, would love to have him if we didn't already have Luck. My only problem would be, and to answer your question. How could his body hold up taking the beating Luck has? Was listening to the radio today and they said Wilson has been sacked more than Luck. Think a lot of that has to do with Lucks sheer size and being able to break tackles and throw with defenders draped around his body.

:woah:  I didn't know that. He is too small to be taking NFL shots on his small frame with those numbers.

I have nothing against RW personally. He is an intelligent man with a good head on his shoulders & to his credit he uses his small stature to get lost in traffic when he throws & runs on the move. Andrew Luck was thoroughly tested in the Playoff game vs KC last year. Did RW come from behind to beat San Diego in week 2? Nope. 

Yes, he won in overtime vs Denver, but if his Hawks face the Broncos again in the post season, I foresee a different outcome myself.

It just ticks me off how much praise RW gets when he often has the luxury of a lead in games. Let's see him down 34-3 vs say AZ or New Orleans & see what RW does shall we?

He really hasn't been sufficiently tested yet IMO. San Diego kicked their caboose once. They could easily do it again. No problem whatsoever. 

I have nothing against RW personally. He is an intelligent man with a good head on his shoulders & to his credit he uses his small stature to get lost in traffic when he throws & runs on the move. Andrew Luck was thoroughly tested in the Playoff game vs KC last year. Did RW come from behind to beat San Diego in week 2? Nope. 

Yes, he won in overtime vs Denver, but if his Hawks face the Broncos again in the post season, I foresee a different outcome myself.

It just ticks me off how much praise RW gets when he often has the luxury of a lead in games. Let's see him down 34-3 vs say AZ or New Orleans & see what RW does shall we?

He really hasn't been sufficiently tested yet IMO. San Diego kicked their caboose once. They could easily do it again. No problem whatsoever. 

SW1 - My friend. How are you?.

Off topic a bit, did you see the Manning presser after the Seattle game. He admitted he needs to play better and made bad throws :).

nfl.com did a poll on which QB you would rather have a luck has 58% of the vote

Luck should have 100% of the vote. 

This is not even close. 

And that is not knocking Wilson, because he has some great skills. Wilson is awesome to watch.

Anyone with a good set of eyes, and a decent football IQ, can easily see that Andrew Luck is the best young quarterback in the NFL.

SW1 - My friend. How are you?.

Off topic a bit, did you see the Manning presser after the Seattle game. He admitted he needs to play better and made bad throws :).

Hey there Shane, good to hear from you buddy. I need to watch that Manning press conference which I haven't done yet. But I will soon. I promise. 

I actually had to record both the Colts & Broncos game on my DVR Sunday due to a family obligation. Once I saw the Denver game, some of the throws by 18 made me wince a little bit, but I was very proud of how Peyton & the whole squad got the game to overtime. It's never how you start; it's how you finish & if the Broncos had won the coin toss I'm confident  they would have won & sealed the deal. 

Talib, Ware, & Ward played an exceptional game on defense IMHO...

:woah: I didn't know that. He is too small to be taking NFL shots on his small frame with those numbers.

Yeah no kidding. Wilson has more passing Td's but Luck has more rushing Td's. I think he a great kid and has a bright future in the NFL. I'm just glad we have Luck.

This is not even close. 

And that is not knocking Wilson, because he has some great skills. Wilson is awesome to watch.

Anyone with a good set of eyes, and a decent football IQ, can easily see that Andrew Luck is the best young quarterback in the NFL.

Amen BlueShoe. Amen. Considering who Andrew suceded [or came after] & with 2 post season appearances & a miraculous comeback victory. I would never regret our draft selection or switch places & draft RW either.

Both QBs landed in great franchises & in great cities with a fiercely loyal fanbase so SW1 is happy.  ;)

This is not even close.

You're my boy BLUE!

So I guess Luck/Wilson is the new Manning/Brady. Sorry but I just don't have the stamina to argue about it for the next 12 years.

haha I know right? Give Andrew Luck some breathing room. NFL analysts always wanna label a QB a boom or bust so quickly it's laughable. To be fair, maybe I am slamming Andy Dalton too soon or expecting too much too quickly. I am just trying to show my fellow friends that even SW1 falls prey to hasty decisions sometimes which isn't exactly objective or fair either. 

Getting back on track...I really don't like QB race comparisons until at least year 8 in the league because by then a QB has mastered their playbook, been around the block, seen a variety of defensive schemes at the pro level, & they have their feet in this league planted underneath them overall. 

Yes, this constant fixation with my QB can stomp your QB gets old quick unless we get to slam the Dallas Cowboys & Tony Romo. Yes, I do enjoy beating a dead horse that's true, but it's like your favorite beverage or candy bar it always tastes good no matter how old you get. "The more things change; the more they stay the same." LOL! 

I'm not surprised at all Wilson turned out to be very good.  He was great in college.  His height was the biggest concern in the draft. 

The biggest complement I can give RW is this:

He has a tremendous pocket presence for knowing where the pressure is coming from, how DC's are trying to neutralize him, when to scrabble, & how to throw the football sidearm like a baseball similar to a shovel pass that never gets picked off or turned over. It's very impressive actually. 

I know why he gives LB & DB coaches fits...You can cover or be in the right alignment 95% of the time & RW will either put a perfect arc on the ball for a TD or make you miss him in the open field. It leaves you in awe & infuriates you at the same time. 

Let's look at the Jaguars game in a microcosm-- the Colts were Superior in all phases of the game. The Colts defense caused turnovers, resulting in easy points. Luck threw multiple short yardage TDs. He had a running game, and it all resulted in a career day for him.

In some sense, this is what RW is fortunate enough to have every week. His team is the dominant team, with maybe a few exceptional matchups. It's really not fair to compare because RW will almost always play against an inferior team. Of course, his play contributes to that, but so would Luck's.

It's those bandwagon fans they are every where like the plague . Most of which have not watched football more than 2 years but think they know everything about the game and anyone not on the Seahawks in marginal at best .

I think Wilson will protect the ball better, however Luck will win you a ball game when it is on the line (assuming Pep lets him try). Yes i am still bitter about the Eagles game.

Wilson may protect the ball better because that is really his only job -- he isn't counted on to win games for his team or to carry his team on his back, he has such a good D and has had arguably the league's best runner for the past 2-3 years (AP is the only RB that I think you could maybe argue against Marshawn Lynch). 

Luck may turn the ball over, but if he doesn't make big plays and take risks (yes, rarely his risks result in INTs), we don't have a shot in a lot of games. 

Wilson may protect the ball better because that is really his only job -- he isn't counted on to win games for his team or to carry his team on his back, he has such a good D and has had arguably the league's best runner for the past 2-3 years (AP is the only RB that I think you could maybe argue against Marshawn Lynch). 

Luck may turn the ball over, but if he doesn't make big plays and take risks (yes, rarely his risks result in INTs), we don't have a shot in a lot of games. 

i don't disagree with anything you stated. I am a Luck over Wilson guy. just stating the fact both are doing the jobs they are asked to do. one protect the ball and make plays the other go big or go home.

For me, the ironic thing is this: Skip Bayless on ESPN First Take loves to claim that Luck has been prematurely coronated as the next elite QB & yet Skip raves endlessly about how smart RW is, how he avoids the big hits, & makes good decisions with the football. 

Skip I saw RW play at Camp Randall at UW-Madison a lot as a graduate student. He's good, but he darn sure isn't elite. Put him on the Browns or Jags & let's see him win a SB. Jesus Skip, Andrew Luck has an inconsistent line, a hit or miss running game, & he is always expected 9-10 times to win from behind. Luck is bleeping amazing given his surrounding cast which doesn't always catch passes when they are needed the most. I love INDY as a squad & I am not slamming any unit BTW or player etc. 

Did you see what RW did when the Broncos D started sacking him yesterday. He turned into a mortal not a QB god & let's see what RW does when he gets his fat new contract & all those defensive & secondary pieces start to disappear because they can't afford to keep all these premier pieces on their roster. Luck gets hit all the time, does more with less, & he always gives us a shot to win. I revere Andrew forget RW because Luck can take a beating & still wins tight games every single Sunday baby.  :blueshoe:  :thmup:

Oh & before anyone says that winning a SB ring makes a QB elite I say look at Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, & Phil Sims not upper crust field generals at all in my estimation. So RW winning a ring says more about his surrounding cast of Lynch, Chancellor, & Sherman than him alone.  

I agree with your assessment of Luck but what I want to know is why are you paying any attention to Skip Bayless? :woah:   haha

Exactly. I have gotten old doing Manning/Brady.

I am not going to fall into Wilson/Luck. Thats for the next generation.

Yeah, it's hard to stay out of it though. I like Russel and as a Michigan fan I liked Tom too, but man can Seahawks and NE fans be annoying.

Russel Wilson is a product of his team while Andrew Luck makes his teams product better. Russ will throw short passes that Harvin will turn into long ones while struggling to go deep. I almost most lost it when the commentators of the Seattle vs Denver game said he always looks to go deep when it flat out isn't true. Luck on the other hand at one point went 6 of 6 on passes of over 20 yards in the last game. According to ESPN "No quarterback in ESPN Stats & Info's dataset (since 2006) had zero incompletions when attempting five or more such passes." 3 of the 8 incomplete passes he threw were not bad passes but flat out dropped by the receiver. 

I don't think he would take that much of a beating.  If there is one thing Wilson is better at than Luck, and in my opinion, any other QB, i'ts evading the sack, getting down or out of bounds.  Every time it looks like he's going to get hit, he makes the guy miss or adjusts his body so that he doesn't take the brunt of the force.  The dude is just phenomenal in that regard.

You guys talk more about Wilson than Seahawks fans do.  I don't see people out there comparing his to Luck.  They don't really care about making this comparison.

I don't care about this comparison any more than you do, but to say that all Seahawks fans don't care is just rubbish. 

http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=97301

I'd post the article from ESPN, but ESPN commenters are even more ridiculous than the comments from this forum or the Seahawks forum about said comparison.

I don't think he would take that much of a beating. If there is one thing Wilson is better at than Luck, and in my opinion, any other QB, i'ts evading the sack, getting down or out of bounds. Every time it looks like he's going to get hit, he makes the guy miss or adjusts his body so that he doesn't take the brunt of the force. The dude is just phenomenal in that regard.

He's actually been sacked more times than Luck. so its really hard to say. We have our qb, but if we didn't I would take him in a second. I like him on and off the field.

He's actually been sacked more times than Luck. so its really hard to say. We have our qb, but if we didn't I would take him in a second. I like him on and off the field.

Agree.  Taht's really about as far as I'm willing to go on this comparison.  To me, it doesn't matter who is better than the other, both guys are more than capable of getting you where you want to go with the proper supporting cast.