Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Polian's Superbowl Record

swflacoltsfans

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe he was fired before the last Bills Super Bowl.

he was, but it was essentially his team,not sure he was fired though after 3 SB's in a row.What makes me nervous is he used veterans and some saavy drafting to make the Panthers competitive quick but they collapsed much like we are now after awhile.

Yeah, 6 conference titles and 6 trips to the SB. Obviously a colossal failure.

Just winning conference championships and appearing in super bowls aint enough. I believe his teams went to five SBs, not six: three with Buffalo (he was fired before the Bills 4th SB) and two with the Colts. His SB record is 1-4. To be fair, you failed to mention all the one and done collapses his teams had in the playoffs despite often times having the best regular season record. Obviously Polian is the greatest GM in the history of the NFL, no make that sports, no make that the greatest in everything in history.

Sure, Polian has a losing record in the Super Bowl. But show me the video clip of Polian dropping a pass or not making a good block or missing a tackle that cost any of his teams the Super Bowl. Now on the other hand, we can easily find clips of Garcon dropping a few passes, the defense not being able to stop the offense, Coyer and Caldwell not coaching very well, etc.

and one sb win thanks to Peyton.

If that is the way we are going to go Peyton better thank our o-line, running game, and defense as they had just as much to do with us winning that Super Bowl as he did. I love Peyton but even I'll admit if Peyton Manning's name was Billy Jenkins someone else would have won the MVP award that night.

why are you talking about a GM's superbowl record?

How many GM's can say they even made it to one SB?

Say thank you he is a playoff every season type GM. Yeah, everyone is struggling this year, including him.

Superbowl? You kiddin me? Superbowl? Don't talk about Superbowl. Say Thank you if we make the playoffs next year.

1-5, including 4 straight losses. Terrible terrible terrible GM in the postseason.

lol, this is ridiculous. People complaining about a GM that won one SB and lost 5.

why dont you use your energy to complain about thousands of GM's that never even came close? How would u like to have one of them?

ridiculous. C'MON MAN!!!

1-5, including 4 straight losses. Terrible terrible terrible GM in the postseason.

In the post-season, the burden falls more on the players and coaches in my opinion. Coaches and players need to watch more film and gameplan better, be prepared for more physical games, push away their mental and physical fatigue, etc.

lol, this is ridiculous. People complaining about a GM that won one SB and lost 5.

why dont you use your energy to complain about thousands of GM's that never even came close? How would u like to have one of them?

ridiculous. C'MON MAN!!!

with the teams he had, he should have won 3 SB, something those thousands of GMs would have done with teams like the Bills and the Colts.

yet thousands of GMs haven't been able to build teams like the Bills and the Colts...

but now he's coming under fire for his team building, and the way he builds is a reason why he really can't win the big game more often.

Polian has an offensive based philosophy and he's had great success in selecting the skill position players for it. However, the big games have always been determined by the big men at the LOS and his failures there have ended all of his teams except the 2006 Colts. It was a miracle playoff run, driven by the best QB to ever play the game. Jim Kelly and Peyton Manning did all they could to win in spite of his inability to comprehend the core principals of winning in the NFL. His philosophy fills seats, then gets stomped out by good defense when it counts. That will never change. As long as Polian stays, the Colt will require the greatest QB on earth to win. That's not a philosophy that I'll ever willingly settle for. He's spent twenty plus years trying to sell his brand, but in the end it's a losing strategy if your goal is championships. I'm done with Bill... he won't change and his concepts ultimately fail to achieve the desired goal.

If that is the way we are going to go Peyton better thank our o-line, running game, and defense as they had just as much to do with us winning that Super Bowl as he did. I love Peyton but even I'll admit if Peyton Manning's name was Billy Jenkins someone else would have won the MVP award that night.

peyton played great thatbnight given the circumstances. Horrible weayher n going against owne of the top 3 defenses. And throughout that entire playoff run he went up against the top 4 defenses. U would expect him to be a little beat up.

Polian did a nice job before but the last five years have been really bad drafts in the long term. I do like this years draft so far.

In the post-season, the burden falls more on the players and coaches in my opinion. Coaches and players need to watch more film and gameplan better, be prepared for more physical games, push away their mental and physical fatigue, etc.

Why is Polian the main reason for his teams regular season successes and blameless for the post-season collapses? A lot of the Polian fanboys & fangirls and apologists attribute our playoff failures to bad luck, bad playoff players (btw, the same ones Polian drafted and some say are good to great players) or bad coaching. Never Polian - they say "well he didnt miss that block or miss that tackle or..." so it isnt his fault. Yet they seem to think when a block is made or a pass is caught or whatever good happens to the team in the regular season is a direct result of the genius Polian in obtaining the players(s). The one constant in the regular season and the playoffs is Polian. You cant continue to highlight his limited successes without acknowledging his monumental failures and lack of accountability for those failures (drafting, nepotism, cannot accept constructive criticism, no constraints on his power within the organization, poor schemes he forces on the team, terrible cap management, free agency, poor O and D lines, NFL worst DBs...etc.). Polian typically wears out his welcome with every team he works for and is fired - from Buffalo and Carolina . Looks like he has found a perfect tool in Jim Irsay and his son Chris and by getting rid of any competent competition in the organization so he can continue to mis-manage the Colts.

He is the most overrated person in football. After 2006 his drafts have been mediocre at best. His horrible attitude infuriates paying customers over and over again. He interferes far too much in coaching decisions. He has completely failed to fix a repeatedly horrible defense. He has done nothing to fix dreadful special teams. He has allowed the running game to grind to a complete halt over the last 5 years. This abysmal season shows exactly what the team he has constructed looks like without Peyton Manning to cover it up.

The best thing he could do for this franchise is retire.

He is the most overrated person in football. After 2006 his drafts have been mediocre at best. His horrible attitude infuriates paying customers over and over again. He interferes far too much in coaching decisions. He has completely failed to fix a repeatedly horrible defense. He has done nothing to fix dreadful special teams. He has allowed the running game to grind to a complete halt over the last 5 years. This abysmal season shows exactly what the team he has constructed looks like without Peyton Manning to cover it up.

The best thing he could do for this franchise is retire.

I always wondered why he was so well thought of,because it was obvious this was gonna happen if anything ever happened to PM.

ridiculous. C'MON MAN!!!

You know about a month ago when you told the board that you were a self proclaimed "Colts expert?" This is another post that I would not use to support that claim.

Let me ask you, if Scot Norwood's kick is a foot more to the left against the Giants would Polian have been a better GM in your eyes? Or how about against the Saints - if Manning does not throw the INT, Garcon catches the 3rd down pass, or if Baskett simply hangs on to the on-sides kick - do those things happening make Polian a better GM?

You know about a month ago when you told the board that you were a self proclaimed "Colts expert?" This is another post that I would not use to support that claim.

Let me ask you, if Scot Norwood's kick is a foot more to the left against the Giants would Polian have been a better GM in your eyes? Or how about against the Saints - if Manning does not throw the INT, Garcon catches the 3rd down pass, or if Baskett simply hangs on to the on-sides kick - do those things happening make Polian a better GM?

Jskinnz, you cannot convert the true believer. The Polian followers believe what they believe and reality be darned. The guy is a past him time, living in a closed, alternate reality, blowhard who is rapidly driving the franchise into the ground.

Jskinnz, you cannot convert the true believer. The Polian followers believe what they believe and reality be darned. The guy is a past him time, living in a closed, alternate reality, blowhard who is rapidly driving the franchise into the ground.

Even accepting that as the truth, which I don't, it is meaningless to his overall recoard as a GM and particularly so as it relates to his Super Bowl record. Anyone arguing using his record in the Super Bowl as evidence that he is or was a poor GM needs to run right out and buy themselves a clue.

Fact: Polian builds perennial playoff, and championship contending teams. No other GM can claim to present that with any measure of consistency.

Fact: The players and coaches decide the results on the field. If they can win in the regular season, but not the post-season, that's on them. That's their failure to prepare.

There is a measure of scouting a GM can perform. Why don't you show me where they are able to decide if a player is more post season or regular season? That's the dumbest claim if all time. A player can play, or not. Someone has to lose playoff games. There's no additional weeks to change personnel, make adjustments, etc.

If other GM's were more competent, they would be in the same position the Colts are in every year. Manning didn't win that Super Bowl by himself; in fact, his numbers were rather mediocre that entire post season.

I don't know how people can blame the GM for Super Bowl losses. A GMs biggest impact is in the offseason, once the games are being played it's pretty much out of his hands...

Blame Polian for hiring Caldwell, blame him for some recent draft misfires, blame him for this current wretched season. Maybe even blame him for all the early playoff exits. But making it to 6 championship games is an accomplishment for any GM, regardless of how many they won.

Fact: Polian builds perennial playoff, and championship contending teams. No other GM can claim to present that with any measure of consistency.

Fact: The players and coaches decide the results on the field. If they can win in the regular season, but not the post-season, that's on them. That's their failure to prepare.

There is a measure of scouting a GM can perform. Why don't you show me where they are able to decide if a player is more post season or regular season? That's the dumbest claim if all time. A player can play, or not. Someone has to lose playoff games. There's no additional weeks to change personnel, make adjustments, etc.

If other GM's were more competent, they would be in the same position the Colts are in every year. Manning didn't win that Super Bowl by himself; in fact, his numbers were rather mediocre that entire post season.

Fact: Your facts are nothing but opinions and not factual statements.

Taking the Colts generally tank in the postseason argument - How can the players and coaches prepare so well they win in the regular season but these same players and coaches fail to prepare for the postseason, the most challenging part of the season? Is it their fault or is it because the other teams in the playoffs tend to be bigger, better, with more athletic players and better coaching and in-game strategies where those attributes tend to win out in a one game, win or go home scenario when pitted against our lightweight, smaller, less talented players? As for the coaching, Polian has never been known to happily share the limelight and he tends to get a HC who is quiet and will kiss his butt rather than being a true X and O guy with any independence (or in the case of Caldwell any competence whatsoever).

with the teams he had, he should have won 3 SB, something those thousands of GMs would have done with teams like the Bills and the Colts.

this has to be one of the most absurd comments ive ever seen...there are thousand of ways to critize pollian...but saying that any other gm would have won 3 sb with that team? lmao you do realize that HE CREATED THOSE TEAMS? no other gm could have done it because simply they didnt create those teams...since when does a GM gets measured because of sb record? im guessing people are looking for new ways to critize pollian but this is absurd...they dont play, they get the players to teh coaches so they get the sb., why is this on Pollian? if anything you are making a case of him being one of the best ever, you are saying he created 6 teams that had enough talent to get to the superbowl...how many Gm can say that?

ill be the first to admit his late drafts have sucked, but this is just nonsense... a gm doesnt get measure, like a QB for example, they get measured for the kind of players they bring to the team...something he had excelled for a long time and the last years it seemed he couldnt keep up...this last drat was a home run IMO, tough.

Yeah, 6 conference titles and 6 trips to the SB. Obviously a colossal failure.

The bolded sentiment makes me laugh. Talk about fickle fans. To take a team to 5 or 6 Super Bowls is an AMAZING accomplishment, Hall of Fame worthy. Unfortunate that there weren't more wins, sure, but the GM doesn't play the game. He built teams to get to the SB and in that respect he has done his job. It's up to the players to perform on that stage.

As for the losses, simply off the top of my head he should for sure have two more SB wins ... the Colts against the Saints and the Bills when Norwood missed the give me FG. The teams were right there to win. Such a thin line between winning and losing, yet fickle fans are so quick to make ridiculously polarizing statements like "Obviously a colossal failure."

<rolls eyes>

(Edit: I am commenting on the bolded part at face value. If the poster meant it sarcastically, well, then obviously we agree.)

Fact: Your facts are nothing but opinions and not factual statements.

Taking the Colts generally tank in the postseason argument - How can the players and coaches prepare so well they win in the regular season but these same players and coaches fail to prepare for the postseason, the most challenging part of the season? Is it their fault or is it because the other teams in the playoffs tend to be bigger, better, with more athletic players and better coaching and in-game strategies where those attributes tend to win out in a one game, win or go home scenario when pitted against our lightweight, smaller, less talented players? As for the coaching, Polian has never been known to happily share the limelight and he tends to get a HC who is quiet and will kiss his butt rather than being a true X and O guy with any independence (or in the case of Caldwell any competence whatsoever).

right levi kissed his butt, so did dungy...please.

im not a Pollian apologist, i think he has lost some of his touch but some arguments are just insane, like kinda to convince people he sucks... you can critize him withouth a need overexagerate stuff or something like that...

and btw, yes it is coaches fault...they didnt seem to adapt to the playoffs, meaning better game plans against much better teams...your same, argument...you telling me he had the players to blow the whole league on the regular season and then suck on postseason? how on earth can you manage to build a team to do that.. i really think thats more about coaching... which taht would be something of pollians/irsay fault...hire a new guy

The bolded sentiment makes me laugh. Talk about fickle fans. To take a team to 5 or 6 Super Bowls is an AMAZING accomplishment, Hall of Fame worthy. Unfortunate that there weren't more wins, sure, but the GM doesn't play the game. He built teams to get to the SB and in that respect he has done his job. It's up to the players to perform on that stage.

As for the losses, simply off the top of my head he should for sure have two more SB wins ... the Colts against the Saints and the Bills when Norwood missed the give me FG. The teams were right there to win. Such a thin line between winning and losing, yet fickle fans are so quick to make ridiculously polarizing statements like "Obviously a colossal failure."

<rolls eyes>

(Edit: I am commenting on the bolded part at face value. If the poster meant it sarcastically, well, then obviously we agree.)

spot on

Like I said then, it's the title they give me...

Now to my defense. I'm not saying that Polian is a bad GM, I'm just saying that he create great offense, but mediocre defenses, and in the playoffs that will kill you. Now if Norwood made that kick, he goes 1 for 4 in the Bills SBs, which is ok, but with that team he should have at least won 2. The Saints game was crazy. They were only losing by 4 at halftime, and even if Hank caught that onside kick, who knows what would have happened. Don't bring up that game, because the Colts never had that game secured, and even if that pick 6 didn't happen and they score a TD on that drive, the Saints have 2 minutes left to score 3 points, and Hartley was gold during those playoffs. LET ME TELL YOU AND EVERYONE THIS: I DONT THINK BILL IS A BAD GM, IM JUST SAYING HE COULD HAVE DONE MORE WITH THE TEAMS HE HAD. He could have had more playoffs runs instead of losing early, and winning a couple more SBs. He's a great GM, but he could have done more.

Great teams sometimes lose. A harsh reality. one bounce here and once bounce there and it can be an entirely different story. We all know what a think line it was against the Saints in the SB. If not for a dropped pass and bobbled onside kick, the route was on.

One break here and one break there and a great Colts team defeats the Steelers (who went on to win the SB) and it could very well have been the Colts that brought it home. Ditto for a great Colts team that made an early exit to the Chargers ... another close game where I feel the superior team just didn't have luck on their side. Again, be on the right side of that thin line and again, the Lombardi might have been ours.

Get those few breaks to fall the right way and the Colts could have 3 more SBs and Bills could have 1 or 2. All of a sudden, being on the right side of the thin line and there is no argument at all about who the greatest GM ever was or who the GOAT QB is. It's such a thin line between winning and losing and I find it to be pathetically laughable how so many people just don't get it. Even this year, with Manning, the Colts are probably sitting at 7-3, fighting for the division championship (yet again) and another run at the SB is entirely realistic.

Thankfully, fickle fans don't run teams. If they did, I have zero doubt they would run teams into perpetual oblivion.

As for the Colts going forward, if Manning returns healthy, I will be utterly SHOCKED if the Colts are not right back on top as one of the four best AFC teams and contending for a Super Bowl. If Manning does not make it back, then the team is likely in a world of hurt, looking at 3 years or more of building under the leadership of one of the most (over?) hyped QBs of all-time. I hope Luck works out, but even more so, I hope Manning comes back healthy and as effective as ever. Without Manning, I think the Colts fall into full on rebuild mode and realistically we are looking at 3 to 4 years before once again becoming serious contenders ... and that's if rebuilding goes well.

right levi kissed his butt, so did dungy...please.

im not a Pollian apologist, i think he has lost some of his touch but some arguments are just insane, like kinda to convince people he sucks... you can critize him withouth a need overexagerate stuff or something like that...

and btw, yes it is coaches fault...they didnt seem to adapt to the playoffs, meaning better game plans against much better teams...your same, argument...you telling me he had the players to blow the whole league on the regular season and then suck on postseason? how on earth can you manage to build a team to do that.. i really think thats more about coaching... which taht would be something of pollians/irsay fault...hire a new guy

So the coaches and players do whatever is necessary to win in the regular season and then fail to properly prepare for the most important part of the season - the playoffs. That is an incredible and not very believable agrument for you to make. And the playoff failures amongst all the teams Polian worked for continue with the only common denominator being teams and coaches Polian assembled.

You still haven't provided an explanation for why Polian gets so much credit for the team regular season success and but bears no responsibility for the losses in the postseason. Also why was he fired from his previous two GM posts? Polian (and son) need to leave so the Colts can start fresh and rebuild the franchise.