Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Polian's Superbowl Record

swflacoltsfans

So the coaches and players do whatever is necessary to win in the regular season and then fail to properly prepare for the most important part of the season - the playoffs. That is an incredible and not very believable agrument for you to make. And the playoff failures amongst all the teams Polian worked for continue with the only common denominator being teams and coaches Polian assembled.

You still haven't provided an explanation for why Polian gets so much credit for the team regular season success and but bears no responsibility for the losses in the postseason. Also why was he fired from his previous two GM posts? Polian (and son) need to leave so the Colts can start fresh and rebuild the franchise.

so it is more credible to manage to build a team to suceed on regular season to fall on postseason? how is that more believable? i mean if your argument is valid for you then its also valid for me.

and yes take a look at the Pitsburgh loss or the losses to NE... they couldnt portect the QB, the ol couldnt "solve" Pitssburgh D....likely cause they werent prepared enough..you telling me thats not coaches fault? adjustments HELLO? so its Pollian's fault that they couldnt adjust? he got players that could somehow manage to give manning time/running game vs teams on the regular season and but couldnt do it on the post season]? naaa thats more on coaches, game plans and adjustments, i really believe that.

Teams ont he playoffs come with much better game plans, we continued with "do what we do". agaisnt NE it looked like Manning got confused sometimes and sometimes it looked like they just wanted it more and sincerely, more prepared.

and you still havent provided an explanation as to the whole "he just hired puppets"...Levy and Dungy were so puppets.. and as you said, Caldwell being a puppet is your opinion not a fact.

and what explanation, at what point did i say that regular season success is atributed solely to pollian and playoff failure not?of course he is part of the blame, but you are solely giving him all the blame, you are just looking for a scapegoat for mighty Manning(btw i love 18, he is my GOAT :) ).

im not even arguing that they should be fired (which im kinda 50 50, his last drafts have sucked like i said, but to be honest we need to be inside the organization to really know whats going...Irsay is the only one who knows the whole thing, but he seems to be in love with Pollian)

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fact: Your facts are nothing but opinions and not factual statements.

Taking the Colts generally tank in the postseason argument - How can the players and coaches prepare so well they win in the regular season but these same players and coaches fail to prepare for the postseason, the most challenging part of the season? Is it their fault or is it because the other teams in the playoffs tend to be bigger, better, with more athletic players and better coaching and in-game strategies where those attributes tend to win out in a one game, win or go home scenario when pitted against our lightweight, smaller, less talented players? As for the coaching, Polian has never been known to happily share the limelight and he tends to get a HC who is quiet and will kiss his butt rather than being a true X and O guy with any independence (or in the case of Caldwell any competence whatsoever).

Actually, his first statement is a fact. His second statement is an opinion but one I would agree with.

Why, not because I'm a "fan-boy" or a "coolaid "drinker" or any of the lame titles you use to discredit the people you disagree with, but because it makes a whole lot of sense.

Now, speaking of not using facts, your posts are so full conjecture and speculation that it makes my head spin.

The fact that we are speaking of a GM's Super Bowl record means he's one heck of GM. It is the GM's job to build a team that can compete for the Super Bowl, it is the players and the coaches job to win the Super Bowl.

As far as drafting "lightweight, smaller, less talented players" the lighter, smaller part was truer during the Dungy years and less so since Caldwell took over. But that was to accomate Dungy and Mudd's systems not becasue Polian has some love for small players. Less talented? or as you have been fond of saying "less athletic" now you are just flaunting your ignorance. The only way we could have won more (yes regular season) games in a decade than any team in history, 2 AFC Championships and a Super Bowl with, generally, lighter smaller players, is by having a lot of talent and athleticism.

The idea that a team is built to win the conference championship but not the Super Bowl is absurd.

Bill Polian is not even close to perfect and like any other human being in a high profile ultra competitive environment, there are plenty of instances where he is worthy of criticism, but the malice many people have for Polian really is overriding the their ability to have a rational opinion.

Actually, his first statement is a fact. His second statement is an opinion but one I would agree with.

Why, not because I'm a "fan-boy" or a "coolaid "drinker" or any of the lame titles you use to discredit the people you disagree with, but because it makes a whole lot of sense.

Now, speaking of not using facts, your posts are so full conjecture and speculation that it makes my head spin.

The fact that we are speaking of a GM's Super Bowl record means he's one heck of GM. It is the GM's job to build a team that can compete for the Super Bowl, it is the players and the coaches job to win the Super Bowl.

As far as drafting "lightweight, smaller, less talented players" the lighter, smaller part was truer during the Dungy years and less so since Caldwell took over. But that was to accomate Dungy and Mudd's systems not becasue Polian has some love for small players. Less talented? or as you have been fond of saying "less athletic" now you are just flaunting your ignorance.
The only way we could have won more (yes regular season) games in a decade than any team in history, 2 AFC Championships and a Super Bowl with, generally, lighter smaller players, is by having a lot of talent and athleticism.

The idea that a team is built to win the conference championship but not the Super Bowl is absurd.

Bill Polian is not even close to perfect and like any other human being in a high profile ultra competitive environment, there are plenty of instances where he is worthy of criticism, but the malice many people have for Polian really is overriding the their ability to have a rational opinion.

that is actually true...did you bother to look at the Bills team fatboy slimm? we have those kind of players cause that was Dungy/Mudd wanted, thats how their systems work, look at Philly they using some of the draws we used to do and tried to get lighter on the OL, for example they drafted a C this year: 62 Kelce, Jason C 6-3 282

which btw is starting over their longtime C, Jackson, Jamaal C 6-4 325

and the latest bolded part is my point, couldnt have sayed it better.

peyton played great thatbnight given the circumstances. Horrible weayher n going against owne of the top 3 defenses. And throughout that entire playoff run he went up against the top 4 defenses. U would expect him to be a little beat up.

Polian did a nice job before but the last five years have been really bad drafts in the long term. I do like this years draft so far.

Peyton played well and not great and even he would admit he was not the reason we won that game. We won that game because of our o-line and running game and our defense forced something like four turnovers. So if you are going to take Polian's credit away when he was apart of something then you have to do the same for Peyton Manning and that Super Bowl because he didn't win that game by himself and was not the main reason we won either.

Like I said then, it's the title they give me...

Now to my defense. I'm not saying that Polian is a bad GM, I'm just saying that he create great offense, but mediocre defenses, and in the playoffs that will kill you. Now if Norwood made that kick, he goes 1 for 4 in the Bills SBs, which is ok, but with that team he should have at least won 2. The Saints game was crazy. They were only losing by 4 at halftime, and even if Hank caught that onside kick, who knows what would have happened. Don't bring up that game, because the Colts never had that game secured, and even if that pick 6 didn't happen and they score a TD on that drive, the Saints have 2 minutes left to score 3 points, and Hartley was gold during those playoffs. LET ME TELL YOU AND EVERYONE THIS: I DONT THINK BILL IS A BAD GM, IM JUST SAYING HE COULD HAVE DONE MORE WITH THE TEAMS HE HAD. He could have had more playoffs runs instead of losing early, and winning a couple more SBs. He's a great GM, but he could have done more.

No one with a clue gave you that title

Go Colt's let's be real.Without Peyton this is one of the worse teams ever,what does that tell you about Polian's record?Says he has been made to look good by one lucky pick to me.

I never said award about Peyton not being a reason we are great. I just pointed out he was not the main reason we beat the Bears in the Super Bowl and he wasn't, so if people are going to try to discredit Polian for that Super Bowl because he wasn't the main reason you have to do the samething to Peyton Manning. Also how much did Peyton Manning help Polian win in Buffalo and Carolina? Super Bowl losses or not those teams all still won at a very high level for a very long time. Going to 4 straight Super Bowls is nothing to just shrug off, no other team has ever gone to more than three straight and that was the Doliphins way back in Super Bowl 6-8. Yes Polian might not have been there for the last one but if we are going to be real make no mistake that was his team that he built. Look at the Bills since Polian left they haven't exactly sustained success without him. Samething in Carolina outside of two seasons since Polian left they haven't been close to what they were under Polian. Despite what some of you are trying to say Polian has track record of winning WITHOUT Peyton Manning, now just to be clear it in no way means that Peyton Manning is NOT a great player. I've said for a long time the Colts might have been the only team in the NFL with a Hall of Fame, GM, coach and QB in Polian, Dungy, and Manning and it took all three of them to win a Super Bowl just as it took help from the other 52 guys on the roster.

but thats my point...how can he do more with the teams he had...is like saying he inherited it..HE CREATED IT.

He needed to be more balanced with his team building, and he didn't, and that led to multiple 1 and outs in the playoffs, and when he faced good teams in the Super Bowls, his teams couldn't come through (except once and another time he nearly did too).

Rested players = all losses.

Did NOT rest players = 1 win......

Questions?????

Yes, I have one. Didn't we win the first two playoff games in 2009 after we rested?

Not only that, we were ahead at half time in the Super Bowl, so please don't tell me that 5 weeks later the the resting finally caught up to us in the second half of a game.

Yes, I have one. Didn't we win the first two playoff games in 2009 after we rested?

Not only that, we were ahead at half time in the Super Bowl, so please don't tell me that 5 weeks later the the resting finally caught up to us in the second half of a game.

you can bet people will try to find a way to counter that.

They will try!

Having said that, I wasn't a fan of giving up on 16-0, but from a physiological stand point, rest does make sense. Psychologically? maybe, maybe not.

oh no, i wasnt a fan either... and as i Said there are tons of reasons I dont like Pollian...but some arguments are...well they just seem personall, not objective.

It ripped the heart out of the team. We beat the Jets and the Ravens. Our easiest road to victory. When Manning is purring, teams with strong D and average O are easy meat for us..........we could have been charging into that SB on fire....instead we limped in as an embarrassment to the sport.

Rested players = all losses.

Did NOT rest players = 1 win......

Questions?????

Rested players equaled running the table in the AFC, getting to the SuperBowl, and if not for 3 unfortunate plays, winning the Super Bowl. The resting players argument is sooooo tiresome.

Rested players equaled running the table in the AFC, getting to the SuperBowl, and if not for 3 unfortunate plays, winning the Super Bowl. The resting players argument is sooooo tiresome.

Resting rather than going for gold = winning the SB. It didn't work. That's the really tiresome part of the whole sorry mess. Polian's tactic failed. Full stop. Folk defending the cowardly decison is the real tiresome issue here.

Oh come on, the rested players excuse may have worked a long time ago, but not now. We played PM and the starters last year and we lost in the 1st round, and we rested them 2 years ago and won the first 2 playoffs game. Other variables played part in our playoff losses.

Count me in with the crowd that had no issue with resting for the playoffs 2 years ago.

I had an issue with it, but I do not think that resting players cost us the Super Bowl. I'm sure all of the fans that were at the game when they pulled the starters have an issue with it also.

I dont think resting the players had that big of an impact

The only part that bothers me is Peyton could have nicer stats if he actually played some of those game 15s and 16s (like in '09 for ex.) I'm a stat guy so I may be alone on this

I had an issue with it, but I do not think that resting players cost us the Super Bowl. I'm sure all of the fans that were at the game when they pulled the starters have an issue with it also.

I'm assuming that the "game" is the Jets game... and they only got mad because it ruined our chances of getting a perfect season. I was ticked about it too, but it didn't effect the SB

so it is more credible to manage to build a team to suceed on regular season to fall on postseason? how is that more believable? i mean if your argument is valid for you then its also valid for me.

and yes take a look at the Pitsburgh loss or the losses to NE... they couldnt portect the QB, the ol couldnt "solve" Pitssburgh D....likely cause they werent prepared enough..you telling me thats not coaches fault? adjustments HELLO? so its Pollian's fault that they couldnt adjust? he got players that could somehow manage to give manning time/running game vs teams on the regular season and but couldnt do it on the post season]? naaa thats more on coaches, game plans and adjustments, i really believe that.

Teams ont he playoffs come with much better game plans, we continued with "do what we do". agaisnt NE it looked like Manning got confused sometimes and sometimes it looked like they just wanted it more and sincerely, more prepared.

and you still havent provided an explanation as to the whole "he just hired puppets"...Levy and Dungy were so puppets.. and as you said, Caldwell being a puppet is your opinion not a fact.

and what explanation, at what point did i say that regular season success is atributed solely to pollian and playoff failure not?of course he is part of the blame, but you are solely giving him all the blame, you are just looking for a scapegoat for mighty Manning(btw i love 18, he is my GOAT :) ).

im not even arguing that they should be fired (which im kinda 50 50, his last drafts have sucked like i said, but to be honest we need to be inside the organization to really know whats going...Irsay is the only one who knows the whole thing, but he seems to be in love with Pollian)

It is a basic function of a GM to build a team to succeed not only in the regular season but also the playoffs. You use Polian teams regular season records like it is the starting and end point to determing his overall success as a GM. Polian is a control freak that micro managed the acquisition of players and coaches. Since he played such a direct role in how the team is made up and HE had final say in obtaining the players and hiring the coaches you and others give him credit for the regular season, yet you still have no explained how Polian and his teams can be considered great in regular seasons but horrid in the postseason. These are the same players and coaches if they somehow forgot how to play whose fault it is for keeping those same players and coaches around year and year if they are only one trick ponies.

That's your opinion. I do agree that the teams we face in the playoffs with better game plans. However, you failed to mention that they also come with much better athletes than the Colts. My opinion is they lost those games because they were less talented than Pittsburgh or NE and no amount of game planning could make up for our physical and talent limitations. The Colts players, drafted and/or acquired by Polian, lost to Pittsburgh, the Titans, NE, San Diego because they were less talented. Yes, coaching played a role but our yes, smallish, smurf players cant compete with any teams that are physical in the playoffs. That is a result of the type of player Polian drafts. Also San Diego beat us all the time be it regular season or the playoffs and they simply manhandle us. We never can stop their runs and their defense kills our offense. Thats a specific example of Polian's "type" of player being unable to compete physicially with strong athletic teams. The issue with game plans and coaches is a valid point but the pro Polian crowd only use that now because it distracts attention from the core issue - Polian's failure to draft players that can win in the regular season and playoffs. On the old Colts board, when we lost in the playoffs, everyone was so quick to attribute the playoff losses to simply back luck and.or an unlucky bounce -rarely did anyone suggest the reason was coaching.

"he just hired puppets"...is your quote and was never written by me. I guess you will try to make your made up quote to be a fact like you do with a lot of your arguments.However, Look at Polian's history. Marv Levy was an older, not too successful coach prior to being hired as the Bills HC. He never made waves and let Polian make the personnel and drafting decisions - the perfect subservient role Poian looks for in underlings. Dungy was really wanted by Irsay so Polian went along with the decision. Polian still had final decisions on personnel and the draft. Dungy was not a loud, rock the boat type of coach and quietly went along with Poian's decisions. I would not call them "puppets" but I would not call them independent head coaches who were allowed to make final decisions on personnel decisions.

Fact: Your facts are nothing but opinions and not factual statements.

Taking the Colts generally tank in the postseason argument - How can the players and coaches prepare so well they win in the regular season but these same players and coaches fail to prepare for the postseason, the most challenging part of the season? Is it their fault or is it because the other teams in the playoffs tend to be bigger, better, with more athletic players and better coaching and in-game strategies where those attributes tend to win out in a one game, win or go home scenario when pitted against our lightweight, smaller, less talented players? As for the coaching, Polian has never been known to happily share the limelight and he tends to get a HC who is quiet and will kiss his butt rather than being a true X and O guy with any independence (or in the case of Caldwell any competence whatsoever).

We don't have talent on this team? We have tons of talent. Freeney, Wayne, Bethea, Saturday, Clark, Addai, Mathis, Brackett...there is lots of talent on this team. And there aren't many teams more athletic than the Colts, we are known for our speed. And I think you are contradicting yourself here. You said yourself "better coaching and in-game strategies", that falls on the coaches, not the GM.

As far as drafting "lightweight, smaller, less talented players" the lighter, smaller part was truer during the Dungy years and less so since Caldwell took over. But that was to accomate Dungy and Mudd's systems not becasue Polian has some love for small players. Less talented? or as you have been fond of saying "less athletic" now you are just flaunting your ignorance. The only way we could have won more (yes regular season) games in a decade than any team in history, 2 AFC Championships and a Super Bowl with, generally, lighter smaller players, is by having a lot of talent and athleticism.

You fail to see the irony in your posts. You are so contradictory. On the one hand you say the GM's job is build a team. Ok, So Polian built teams tend to be good in the regular seasonUsing your argument - You say that since he is responsible for the players and coaching playing well in the regular season make him out to be a superstar GM. Yet, Those same teams with the same players and coaches, built and or hired by Polian, continually fail in the playoffs and Polian bears no responsibility for the product he puts on the field in the playoffs. Once again, you are using the tired argument of best regular season record in the decade, been to two SBs....You fail to balance that with facts or a resonable explanation for all the one and done we have in the postseasons with all this "talent and athleticism". To give him all the accolades for his teams partial successes while conveniently ignorging the colossal post season collapses is absurd.

Bill Polian is judged at the end of the day on his ability to put in place all the tools needed for this franchise to be successful in the marketplace and to win championships on the field. He shouldn't be absolved of responsibilityand accountability simply because some look at him and see his limited success and think that is enough. After all, he is the greatest GM in history, a six time NFL Executive of the Year. He just cant produce championship teams despite being this genius. The unchecked Polian is the greatest worship many people have for Polian really is overriding the their ability to have a rational, objective opinion.

We don't have talent on this team? We have tons of talent. Freeney, Wayne, Bethea, Saturday, Clark, Addai, Mathis, Brackett...there is lots of talent on this team. And there aren't many teams more athletic than the Colts, we are known for our speed. And I think you are contradicting yourself here. You said yourself "better coaching and in-game strategies", that falls on the coaches, not the GM.

What - where is the talent? Freeney, Bethe and Mathis are the most talented players on our roster and age and injuries slowed them down at lot over the past two years. With those exceptions and Manning if/when he comes back, who else on our team would start for another NFL team? Better yet, who on our roster would actually make the roster of another NFL team.

I am not contradicting myself at all. "better coaching and in-game strategies" is just one part of the problem. Better coaching and in-game strategies will not make up for lack of talent and athleticism in a one game, win or go home pressure cooker that is the postseason. Just as Al Capone said "YOU CAN GET FURTHER WITH A GUN AND A SMILE, THAN JUST A SMILE” the Colts would have won more championships under Poian's watch with better talented, more physical, more athletic players with "better coaching and in-game strategies"" than just better coaching and in-game strategies. And that responsibility lies with the GM.

You can't argue with 1-6.

You can't argue with 0-10.

Those are facts - people can excuse, rationalize, forgive, etc. But facts are facts.

John Elway is 2-3 in Super Bowls, if I'm not making a mistake. Roethlisberger is 2-1. Who would you rather have on your team? You can't look at it just based on record. Heck, Marino never won a Super Bowl, but Trent Dilfer did. 100% of the GMs in the NFL would rather have Marino than Dilfer as their QB

What - where is the talent? Freeney, Bethe and Mathis are the most talented players on our roster and age and injuries slowed them down at lot over the past two years. With those exceptions and Manning if/when he comes back, who else on our team would start for another NFL team? Better yet, who on our roster would actually make the roster of another NFL team.

I am not contradicting myself at all. "better coaching and in-game strategies" is just one part of the problem. Better coaching and in-game strategies will not make up for lack of talent and athleticism in a one game, win or go home pressure cooker that is the postseason. Just as Al Capone said "YOU CAN GET FURTHER WITH A GUN AND A SMILE, THAN JUST A SMILE” the Colts would have won more championships under Poian's watch with better talented, more physical, more athletic players with "better coaching and in-game strategies"" than just better coaching and in-game strategies. And that responsibility lies with the GM.

Where is the talent? Clark (All Pro), Saturday (All Pro), Bethea (Pro Bowl), Mathis (Pro Bowl), Freeney (All Pro), Wayne (All Pro), Addai (Pro Bowl), Collie (was leading the league in all major receiver categories until he got injured), Addai (Pro Bowl). And those are just the guys who got recognition. Brackett doesn't get much recognition, but he is very talented. Garcon has lots of talent and physical ability, but is just inconsistent. I could keep going...

And that bolded statement, you can say that for literally every single team in the NFL. Every team will win more with better talented, more physical, more athletic players, and better coaching and in game strategies to boost.

John Elway is 2-3 in Super Bowls, if I'm not making a mistake. Roethlisberger is 2-1. Who would you rather have on your team? You can't look at it just based on record. Heck, Marino never won a Super Bowl, but Trent Dilfer did. 100% of the GMs in the NFL would rather have Marino than Dilfer as their QB

I'm quite confused......

I'm quoting Polian stats. [Hint - look at the OP subject]

You're talking QBs.

Apples or oranges - which shall we discuss? :)

yes there was also 2004 when we rested and had one of the best first round playoff games in NFL history vs. the Broncos and lost the next week to the Pats. We also didn't rest the starters in 1999, 2000, 2002, 2010 and went one and done all those years. Truth be told we've gone one and done more times not resting the starters than we have when we have rested the starters (only went one and done in 2005, 2007, and 2008 when they rested the starters) so I think they myth that it has a great impact on our playoff games is just that a myth. The only year I think it had an impact in a negative way was 2005 but even then Jeff Saturday has been on the record saying what happened to Dungy's son was extremely hard to get over.

yes there was also 2004 when we rested and had one of the best first round playoff games in NFL history vs. the Broncos and lost the next week to the Pats. We also didn't rest the starters in 1999, 2000, 2002, 2010 and went one and done all those years. Truth be told we've gone one and done more times not resting the starters than we have when we have rested the starters (only went one and done in 2005, 2007, and 2008 when they rested the starters) so I think they myth that it has a great impact on our playoff games is just that a myth. The only year I think it had an impact in a negative way was 2005 but even then Jeff Saturday has been on the record saying what happened to Dungy's son was extremely hard to get over.

Wow, that's a lot of one and dones!

Where is the talent? Clark (All Pro), Saturday (All Pro), Bethea (Pro Bowl), Mathis (Pro Bowl), Freeney (All Pro), Wayne (All Pro), Addai (Pro Bowl), Collie (was leading the league in all major receiver categories until he got injured), Addai (Pro Bowl). And those are just the guys who got recognition. Brackett doesn't get much recognition, but he is very talented. Garcon has lots of talent and physical ability, but is just inconsistent. I could keep going...

And that bolded statement, you can say that for literally every single team in the NFL. Every team will win more with better talented, more physical, more athletic players, and better coaching and in game strategies to boost.

The fact that a player may make a Pro Bowl once or twice in the case of Clark and Addai and yes Bethea means little in today's NFL for a variety of reasons. Many players picked for the Pro Bowl become injuried after being selected or they have played in the postseason and are already tired and beat up or they opt out for other reasons. Then an alternate is chosen to replace the starter. In Addai case for his single Pro Bowl appearance he was like the 3rd or 4th alternate, Same with Clark and Bethea. It means they were far down the list and only appeared because someone else opted out. Collie appears to be a one trick pony. He is leading the league in nothing this year. IMO the only true Pro Bowlers on the Colts are Manning and Freeney. Saturday is good but a major reason for him going to the Pro Bowl is his QB, not necessarily the physical talents of Saturday. Saturday is a good leader and a great off the field guy, but he is not a great center. I like Garcon but he drops as many passes as he catches and never comes through in the clutch like a Larry Fitzgerald or a Steve Smith or heck, even A.J. Green.

Sometimes peope tend to have a unrealistic, over inflated view of the "talent" on this team simply because they think anyone Polian selects for the team is golden. I could keep going but... Ask yourself this question if we have all this apparent talent of the players you cited and the hidden, unappreciated talents of the other players, why in the heck are we 0-10 and staring at a winless season? Please dont use the ready made excuses of "just bad coaching and bad luck". That excuse has run its course.

Oh whooptido! The two teams they defeated were the Ravens, a team which had not beaten the Colts since 2001 with most of the losses being by at least 2 touchdowns and the Jets, the same weak team that the Colts let into the playoffs and who they would have beaten by over two touchdowns had Polian not been so gutless. Those two wins are not that significant at all.

Far more significant than those two ball games is the fact that the Colts have not had a single successful 4th quarter comeback in the two years since they were forced to quit after being one of the best teams in the league in them for years (Manning is only 1 comeback behind Marino's record of 46).

They will try!

Having said that, I wasn't a fan of giving up on 16-0, but from a physiological stand point, rest does make sense. Psychologically? maybe, maybe not.

Of course, it seems to make sense. But it doesn't necessarily pan out.

Biguglies benefit from the rest, they beat around on each other every single down.

Skill positions need to keep playing to stay sharp and maintain their timing. One and dones seems to happen when we rest because it takes awhile, sometimes and entire game, to get back rythm and flow. The wildcard teams are generally very sharp because they have continued to play at a high level.

Injuries are less likely with rested weeks, but remember, Wayne got hurt in the '09 run during practice. So there are no absolutes, but keeping the foot on the gas even at 14-0 is beneficial. We were very luck to win the 1st playoff game.

THE one year we won it all, we did not rest, remember?

I'm quite confused......

I'm quoting Polian stats. [Hint - look at the OP subject]

You're talking QBs.

Apples or oranges - which shall we discuss? :)

Yeah, but QBs play in SBs. GMs sit in the box and twiddle thumbs.

If a GM can't put together talent to get to the postseason thats his fault. If a team can consistently power through a weak division and then consistently lose the first playoff game as soon as the competition gets fierce that could be considered the fault of the GM. If a team makes the playoffs, wins a minimum of two playoff games to earn a trip to the Super Bowl and then loses you congratulate the GM for building a championship caliber team.