Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Painter To Remain Colts' Starting Qb Says Caldwell

bayone

INDIANAPOLIS --

Curtis Painter's struggles, an 0-10 record and fans clamoring for a quarterback change hasn't swayed Colts coach Jim Caldwell.

On Wednesday, Caldwell told players and reporters that Painter will make his eighth start this

Sunday against Carolina.

http://www.nfl.com/n...lts-starting-qb

“Curtis (Painter) has not played a whole lot of football around here for us,” said Caldwell. “I think he has to be given a good, clear opportunity. There are a lot of things that happened to him out there during the course of the game that may not have always been his fault. Some of it is obviously the situation that we’ve put him in as well. I need to do a little bit better job of making certain he can do what he does, and not necessarily what anyone else has done around here. (We need to) get it tailored a little bit more to his strengths. I just didn’t feel he has gotten an opportunity to do that as of yet, a clear opportunity. We’re going to give him that opportunity.”

Opportunity knocks on Sunday. Painter says it is business as usual and that he was pleased with the decision.

“Absolutely,” said Painter about Sunday being business as usual. “Keep getting better, keep improving and coming off a bye week (we will try to) continue to fix some things we need to do for ourselves. Hopefully, we’ll keep that going. I guess I can’t say surprised (of the decision). Everybody in this locker room wants to play. I was obviously excited about getting the opportunity to continue on.”

http://www.colts.com/news-and-events/article-1/PAINTER-UNDER-CENTER/dc008b34-4c72-4cee-9d14-3107331eabf6

Hasn't got alot of playing time? Whatever, he'd be released or benched by now on other teams or in a different situation.

I don't disagree with the decision because #6 isn't any better than Painter.

His line of thinking, his reasoning is worrisome though. Excuses, excuses, excuses

INDIANAPOLIS --

Curtis Painter's struggles, an 0-10 record and fans clamoring for a quarterback change hasn't swayed Colts coach Jim Caldwell.

On Wednesday, Caldwell told players and reporters that Painter will make his eighth start this

Sunday against Carolina.

"Curtis has not played a whole lot of football around here for us, and I think he needs to be given a good, clean opportunity," Caldwell said. "A lot of things happened out there that I don't think were his fault. I just don't feel like he's gotten a clear opportunity to do that yet, so I want to give him that opportunity."

http://www.nfl.com/n...lts-starting-qb

Well does that mean we will be 0-11 after this weeks game? rotfl Oh well we would probably be that with either QB. Sorry I just don't have much faith in either one. Well if he's playing badly Caldwell can always pull him like he has done for the last 2 games. Maybe just maybe he will do better this week. One can hope anyway. :banana:

Well does that mean we will be 0-11 after this weeks game? rotfl Oh well we would probably be that with either QB. Sorry I just don't have much faith in either one. Well if he's playing badly Caldwell can always pull him like he has done for the last 2 games. Maybe just maybe he will do better this week. One can hope anyway. :banana:

I am numb / bewildered/ confused / and wondering about the mental health behind many of the various Colt moves and decisions

You all are being too critical of painter. Do you expect him to be a backup qb at the nfl level. I for one think its not his fault that he was drafted. And look we are finally getting to see some coaching done by caldwell. He believes in painter unlike all of you. And for all the disappointment painter has generated he has taught many of us different football lessons. Did you know that you cant throw the ball n then catch ot n then throw it again? And who knew that a qb could throw 3 int on the same drive (one being dropped, one being called back b/c of 12 men on the field n one actually being caught.) And after this week painter is going to set an nfl record for mosy appearances on MNF Cm'on Man! To those who want the coaching staff to make changes, really any changes at all, should be ashamed. That would not be who they are, they need to stay true to themselves. Hooray to our Coaching Staff n to our leader Mr. Painter. The image we will be legt with after this game is another great shot of peyton's disappointed face (cause he can iony dream of performing the way painter does). Cant wait for this game, i'll be watching like always as most of you will.

Much ado about nothing. Painter has been very disappointing recently, but his upside (as demonstrated over the course of about 3 games in preseason/regular, and apparently in three years worth of off-field work) is still dramatically higher than Orlovsky's, - who has no upside what-so-ever. What ever you may think of Painter - or the Colts aspirations for this season - there is no earthly reason to play Orlovsky at all. It's not a step up, and it accomplishes absolutely nothing besides satisfying fans who are tired of watching Painter struggle. That's not a good enough reason.

In other words, Painter has six more games to demonstrate that he can be a backup QB for the Colts. If he can't, it will affect the off season plans. Orlovsky, on the other hand, could come in and play his steady brand of uneventful football for six games - and even stumble onto a win or two - and it would have absolutely no effect on the teams plans, because he isn't in the teams plans in the first place. He's a warm body that was brought in just in case of injury. Even if you think that Painter is the worst QB in the history of the league, the reason that he is ahead of Orlovsky on the depth chart is because Orlovsky is dramatically worse.

I was saddened to hear this. I just don't know what to say anymore.

Don't feel bad evidently Caldwell doesn't know what to say either so he basically says the same ole same ole every time I hear him. rotfl We just have to endure this nonsense week after week. Maybe just maybe this week will be different. One can hope anyway. :slaphead:

So the reason that Painter is still starting is that he has not played a lot of football for the Colts. Yet Kerry Collins had almost 0 playing time/experience with the Colts and he got the start over Painter...

I REST MY CASE CALDWELL MUST GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I REST MY CASE CALDWELL MUST GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's the problem?

We know danny O isn't in our future. The season is lost....period!

Let Painter finish the season. If he improves, the team has a decision to make. If he doesn't, cut the ties and release him

Its what I'd do too.

What else are they supposed to do?

And don't say bring in another QB, that would just be crazy.

When I first read the OP, thought it was a joke.

But, it is obviously not.

Therefore - the Colts FO, Owner and HC are jokes...... The Colts desparately need adult supervision ........

well said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!i wish you were joking, but you are spot on. we are becoming a joke, and that is a shame.

10 weeks for Polian & Caldwell to realize they should gameplan to Painters strengths? Boggles the mind.

Sad. A good coach would have scraped the offense as soon as Manning wasn't playing for a while and put in a package that would have worked better for Painter.

It's clear we don't have a good coach. There are better coaches at the high school level than what is coaching the Indianapolis Colts.

I guess the only thing I will be able to enjoy this Sunday will be Jim Caldwells blank stare....its better than screaming obscenities at the tv for over 2 hours...sigh I miss you Peyton Manning, Gary Brackett, Eric Foster, and Dallas Clark. Another sighhh and disgust lol Get better soon guys we need you!!!

Remember this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU6tvnkkBNI&feature=related

I remember when people were so outraged (myself included) when Lewis says "If you take Peyton off of the Colts, you make them a very below average ball club". Below average, worst in the league...same thing, right?

Man, I miss Peyton :Cry:

PPl may have been upset when he said that, but he's just quoting the truth and this season backs up that statement.

Bye bye Jimmy.... At 0 and 10 and coming off a bye week is the perfect time to have a qb change..... Not on the road against the pats and ravens our two games after this week..... Orlovsky isn't the answer for this team. But for true fans who watch week in and week out it would of given us a reason for hope..... Hope that the management and coaching staff is doing everything they can for us too get a win. And that we will not tolerate this sub par play. I guess that's not the case. Another week of painter and a soft Tampa 2,............ Super

No one should be surpried by this... the colts run a stupidly simple offense and to add on to that they have had bad QB play by painter, he may get better with time but tbh no one around is helping him out and it goes both ways... painter's chances of making this team after this season look horrible, unless he magically got a sip of "P-money water" and starts looking good cause so far he's looked like a 6th round talent.