Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Imagine the Colts Defense in the second half, then add Mathis (Colts @ Broncos)

BlueShoe

Denver Possessions in the second half:

1. 5 plays then punt
  2. 6 plays then punt
  3. 6 plays then punt
  4. 7 plays - Touchdown
  5. 3 plays then punt
  6. 3 plays then punt
  7. 3 kneels

In the second half, the Colts defense gave us opportunities to win this game, and it has been a VERY LONG TIME since I could honestly say that. 

In last years meeting, I felt that if Denver had another 5 minutes then they would have won.

This year I feel that if Indy would have had another 5 minutes then we would have won.

I know it is difficult to see right now, especially  through the pain, but this defense is going to be very, very good this year. 

Well, let them play the entire game like that vs the Eagles and get us the W, that will heal a lot of things :). The flip side is, the Broncos can state that if they had Welker and not Andre Caldwell, it could be different as well. I do like our chances when Mathis gets back, and wonder if we should put him against Chris Clark on the other side that he used to come from when we had Freeney. Chris Clark is the weak link on that OL and Mathis will eat his lunch again, like last year if we put him on that side.

No point crying/reconciling over spilt milk, I am ready to take a team with Darren Sproles down for a change. I have had enough of that little guy for a lifetime being a thorn in the Colts flesh.

To me, we have sold out to stop the run with Jackson and Arthur Jones' additions but if Jackson is not relegated to 2 down linebacker, it might be a long season for coverage in the middle for the Colts. I thought Mike Adams had a decent game.

1. 5 plays then punt
  2. 6 plays then punt
  3. 6 plays then punt
  4. 7 plays - Touchdown
  5. 3 plays then punt
  6. 3 plays then punt
  7. 3 kneels

In the second half, the Colts defense gave us opportunities to win this game, and it has been a VERY LONG TIME since I could honestly say that. 

In last years meeting, I felt that if Denver had another 5 minutes then they would have won.

This year I feel that if Indy would have had another 5 minutes then we would have won.

I know it is difficult to see right now, especially  through the pain, but this defense is going to be very, very good this year. 

I like this post.  I liked your reference to a returning Mathis  Even getting Holmes back will help.  D did very well and I think the Offense will improve also.  

I like this post.  I liked your reference to a returning Mathis  Even getting Holmes back will help.  D did very well and I think the Offense will improve also.  

Absolutely. That is why I really dislike these high profile games to be in week 1. I know the NFL schedules them for ratings, but do they really need to have these match-ups so early on for ratings? The NFL Draft alone gets twice the ratings of an NBA Playoff game when both are on the same night. The ratings are there for the NFL. We need games such as Colts/Broncos to be be in the middle of the season. It would not be nearly as sloppy, and fans of both sides would enjoy it more. 

As it stands, the NFL says you cannot hit in practice. Oh and by the way, you are playing the reigning AFC Champs in week 1. It is ridiculous. I could go on and on about what I believe the NFL should do as far as scheduling, starting with I believe that each team should have division games the First 3 and Last 3 weeks of the season. I digress. :)

I was saying this as soon as the schedule came out, so it is not an excuse. Denver won the game fair and square. They made the plays when they needed to win, and deserve the win.

The defense played great the second half. Also felt like Denver started playing John Fox ball, you know playing not to lose instead of playing to win.

Peyton also seemed to get anxious when the Colts started storming back. Playing the Colts he feels different, and looks different than hr does playing other teams.

Also what would Mathis add? Last year he was teeing off against Chris Clark. Not only is Clark not in the same zip code as Clady, but he isn't in the same universe. I don't think Mathis would have added that much. Clady is the best LT in the game without question, the false start was probably his first penalty in three years. He is probably the best LT Peyton has ever had, yes that includes Glenn.

Well, let them play the entire game like that vs the Eagles and get us the W, that will heal a lot of things :). The flip side is, the Broncos can state that if they had Welker and not Andre Caldwell, it could be different as well. I do like our chances when Mathis gets back, and wonder if we should put him against Chris Clark on the other side that he used to come from when we had Freeney. Chris Clark is the weak link on that OL and Mathis will eat his lunch again, like last year if we put him on that side.

No point crying/reconciling over spilt milk, I am ready to take a team with Darren Sproles down for a change. I have had enough of that little guy for a lifetime being a thorn in the Colts flesh.

To me, we have sold out to stop the run with Jackson and Arthur Jones' additions but if Jackson is not relegated to 2 down linebacker, it might be a long season for coverage in the middle for the Colts. I thought Mike Adams had a decent game.

I have been saying, ever since the 2014 schedule was released that the Colts could start the season 0-2 and still be a top 5 NFL team. 

No crying here man. Denver won the game fair and square. 

Jones was a beast. He is a difference maker.

Also what would Mathis add? Last year he was teeing off against Chris Clark.

That would be why we switch sides for Mathis and let him pass rush from that right side against Clark.

What I wonder is if we do that, can we still maintain the responsibilities in our 3-4 hyrbrid for all other defenders but Walden and Mathis by switching their ends?

I have been saying, ever since the 2014 schedule was released that the Colts could start the season 0-2 and still be a top 5 NFL team. 

No crying here man. Denver won the game fair and square. 

Jones was a beast. He is a difference maker.

Oh yeah!!! I think this D would at least be top 10 in the league in run D by the end of the year barring major injuries to NT or DE positions (keeps knocking on wood :)). Jones makes that difference in run D, definitely. His hustle on a WR screen play was Seahawks' DLish type hustle that I saw where he caught Emmanuel Sanders from behind, outstanding.

A lot of teams are still figuring things out on O and D. Hopefully, Pep can figure out we can use more of Luck's bootleg and rollout skills in the red zone by game 2 and we will figure out Jackson is just a 2 down LB.

If we focus on McCoy and Sproles, I think we can take down the Eagles. It won't come easy but our crowd can make a difference and hopefully, the refs give us a few calls at home unlike last year's game 2 vs the Dolphins.

Yeah why won't they play the whole game like that?  All last year the Colts defense gave up points like they were nothing in the first half and then buckled down in the second.  I understand the offense plays more conservatively in the first half and Luck heats up as the game goes along but man the defense could get something done.  Manning threw it right in the Colts' lap twice and they didn't catch either one (that was the first drive for Broncos I think).

Anyway first games are always weird (last year was a NAIL BITER to the Raiders).  

The defense played great the second half. Also felt like Denver started playing John Fox ball, you know playing not to lose instead of playing to win.

Peyton also seemed to get anxious when the Colts started storming back. Playing the Colts he feels different, and looks different than hr does playing other teams.

Also what would Mathis add? Last year he was teeing off against Chris Clark. Not only is Clark not in the same zip code as Clady, but he isn't in the same universe. I don't think Mathis would have added that much. Clady is the best LT in the game without question, the false start was probably his first penalty in three years. He is probably the best LT Peyton has ever had, yes that includes Glenn.

I was impressed with the Colts defense not allowing Denver to finish the game by running out the clock. That was a pleasant surprise. The Colts defense gave our offense more opportunities than I was expecting. 

Yeah why won't they play the whole game like that?  All last year the Colts defense gave up points like they were nothing in the first half and then buckled down in the second.  I understand the offense plays more conservatively in the first half and Luck heats up as the game goes along but man the defense could get something done.  Manning threw it right in the Colts' lap twice and they didn't catch either one (that was the first drive for Broncos I think).

Anyway first games are always weird (last year was a NAIL BITER to the Raiders).  

In my mind this was not the same as last year. Last night we shut down the Denver running game, and would not let them finish. I haven't seen a Colts defense play that well in a half since our playoff Super Bowl run. 

I agree that the first few weeks are always wacky. :)

yes it's just week one, but the Colts are a top 3 rush D based on ypc. This was done against a very good O line and good rush attack

still a long way to go but it's a great start.

Yep. This defense is starting to remind me a lot of the 95 Colts defense, and for those who remember, it was very, very good. 

They couldn't have been much worse in the first half. This is how this defense has been under Pagano. Get battered the entire first half, and figure it out at halftime and make the necessary adjustments.

Mathis would have helped last night for sure. It's the ret of the defense we need help with. Are we the first half defense, or the second?

They couldn't have been much worse in the first half. This is how this defense has been under Pagano. Get battered the entire first half, and figure it out at halftime and make the necessary adjustments.

Mathis would have helped last night for sure. It's the ret of the defense we need help with. Are we the first half defense, or the second?

And that's the problem. Idk if we're not preparing well or what but these slow starts seriously have to stop or Indy isn't contending for anything except the AFC South

We did the opposite of what the Jags did yesterday. They started, couldn't finish

We couldn't start, but almost finished

You can't win games only playing 2 quarters of football. I don't know any team that does

I would argue that saying that Mathis wouldn't have added much is boarder line *ic. Don't care who he is matched up against. You add one of the best pass rushers in the game to a defense and they are much improved..

And that's the problem. Idk if we're not preparing well or what but these slow starts seriously have to stop or Indy isn't contending for anything except the AFC South

We did the opposite of what the Jags did yesterday. They started, couldn't finish

We couldn't start, but almost finished

You can't win games only playing 2 quarters of football. I don't know any team that does

I believe this was not the same as last year. We were playing the defending AFC Champs in week 1, and still working the rust off. When we did settle down, the defense was very impressive. I am not worried at this time, that this will be a reoccurring theme this season. We should actually expect to have some rust in week 1. 

I will agree Jackson has been somewhat exposed in regards to his coverage ability...

However, to be fair his sample size to date has been mostly, Brees/Graham & Manning/Thomas, so that's gonna skew things somewhat imo...

Well the encouraging thing is that although we didn't play well we almost pulled out another spectacular comeback against one of the best teams in the NFL! Still a lot of work to do for the coaching staff and to be honest against the Broncos it was obvious that we are missing some cornerstones to be a real Super Bowl contender! Pass Rush for example is non existent without Mathis, we could use upgrades on the safety position...

1. 5 plays then punt
  2. 6 plays then punt
  3. 6 plays then punt
  4. 7 plays - Touchdown
  5. 3 plays then punt
  6. 3 plays then punt
  7. 3 kneels

Imagine that second half defense playing in the 1st half.

That would be why we switch sides for Mathis and let him pass rush from that right side against Clark.

What I wonder is if we do that, can we still maintain the responsibilities in our 3-4 hyrbrid for all other defenders but Walden and Mathis by switching their ends?

Not really. We use the Sam on the strongside, to contain against TEs and FBs, and to cover them in passing situations. If you put Mathis on the strong side on passing downs, he's gonna get double teamed with a TE more often, and you have to rotate your coverage over to handle the TE when he goes out. That would require a lot of adjustments on a lot of plays.

To me, that's why they come out and put Mathis on the weakside, rather than trying to match him up against a particular tackle. I don't think there are many tackles that can stop him for an entire game anyways. Might as well try to maintain the integrity of your defense.

What we really need is a Kam Chancellor type of player, who can cover short areas against TEs and slot guys, freeing us up to send the Sam backer more often on passing downs. We're blitzing up the middle a lot, and when it doesn't get home, we're getting killed by crossing routes.

Is actually like to see Werner and Mathis out there at the same time. Werner needs to add some more moves. Looked like he tried to bull rush most of the time.

I don't know if Werner has the agility to play Mathis' position in this defense.  The Bull rush is all that he has IMO. I thick he's better suited to play on the strong side.  I don't think that he's anything special - just a solid player who is getting better.  

I don't know if Werner has the agility to play Mathis' position in this defense.  The Bull rush is all that he has IMO. I thick he's better suited to play on the strong side.  I don't think that he's anything special - just a solid player who is getting better.  

I have thought of him as a better Strong Side OLB  ever since I first watched him play, because he seems stronger to me than he is quick, but the coaches have a better understanding of position fits than I do.

What he does do exceptionally well is recognize when the play is not to his side and takes good angles to get to the ball carrier.

I don't think he has the moves, but he got around the Broncos tackles a few times last night. He was being held, got caught in a few headlocks, and then Manning was getting rid of the ball with haste. 

I'd rather play him at Sam; I think they're grooming him for that, actually, given how often they're dropping him in coverage. But I think he'll be a good pass rusher, if not special.

I have thought of him as a better Strong Side OLB  ever since I first watched him play, because he seems stronger to me than he is quick, but the coaches have a better understanding of position fits than I do.

What he does do exceptionally well is recognize when the play is not to his side and takes good angles to get to the ball carrier.

I agree with what you say about his strengths.  But to me his athleticism and body type don't translate to an edge rusher in this defense.  Not sure how the coaches or Grigson think he's the right guy.

1. 5 plays then punt
  2. 6 plays then punt
  3. 6 plays then punt
  4. 7 plays - Touchdown
  5. 3 plays then punt
  6. 3 plays then punt
  7. 3 kneels

I'd need to re watch, but of these, how many were something we actually did? Can anyone recall?

I remember 2 horrible drops on back to back passes one possession for Denver....Then I think the following possession Peyton overthrew his Receiver on back to back plays...... 

Do the Colts play a lot more man to man coverage then any other team? Last night they never got out of the man to man. At one point in the first half I was begging to see Dungy on the sidelines with a Cover 2 just to keep things in front of them.

Is that the strategy? Play man and man until you wear down the other guy?

1. 5 plays then punt
  2. 6 plays then punt
  3. 6 plays then punt
  4. 7 plays - Touchdown
  5. 3 plays then punt
  6. 3 plays then punt
  7. 3 kneels

They won't be adding Mathis now.