Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So ummm...our division foes?

bap1331

What did you think? I know its kinda early but things are looking bright for Clowney and Bortles.

I feel like Clowney can be a disruption for our offense because he was great at stopping the run and pass today. But I think that we should find a way to implement false starts, play action pass (opposite of clowney), and screen passes to catch him off guard. I guess the key will be to tire him out and im sure ahmad can pound through him. On the positive side, their offense is not at great but we need to prepare for when the offense does turn great. lol.

Bortles is looking promising though but more of a long term threat. Unless he is like Luck somehow from his rookie year.

Titans- Havent heard a peep since like last year. Poor guys, they have not really had any changes otherwise...

I can't wait to see Clowney line up and be completely stonewalled by Costanzo and Allen. Watt will continue to wreck plays because he is JJ Watt, but I wouldn't worry about Clowney for this year at least. Right now, he seems to get by on physical talent but that can be countered by a veteran that knows what he's doing. In the future, once he's learned the tricks of the trade, he'll be something special. I'd throw chip blocks and do whatever I can to frustrate him until he takes himself out of the game.

Bortles doesn't really seem like a threat to me. He just doesn't seem special although I'm always rather skeptical when players shoot up draft boards after the season. If Marqise Lee plays as well as he did in his sophomore year, then he is a VERY talented receiver.

Titans haven't been in the news as much but that's not a bad thing. There's been a lot of positive talk about Justin Hunter. Every other team in the league better pray that kid doesn't figure it all out because if he does, he'll be a nightmare and a constant headache to defenses.

The only team in our division that can undo the Colts is....the Colts. Injuries appear to be the only thing standing between us and another division title. I'm not one to overlook opponents, but I'm not seeing anything even remotely signaling that any of our division opponents are ready to stand against us. 

Bortles looked pretty good when he came him, His wr's had a couple drops, He did well when he got hit as well, I did not look at how many times he got hit but it was at least twice very good and he stood in the pocket and delivered very accurate passes consistently. I also like how they used him with roll outs...For some reason both Arians and Pep don't seem to know what a QB roll out is, I was impressed with his first game. If he can get more protection from his O Line he has the potential to be pretty good and if he continues to grow as a QB the Jaguars wont be an easy pushover in the division like they have been ever since Brunnell retired

I can't wait to see Clowney line up and be completely stonewalled by Costanzo and Allen. Watt will continue to wreck plays because he is JJ Watt, but I wouldn't worry about Clowney for this year at least. Right now, he seems to get by on physical talent but that can be countered by a veteran that knows what he's doing. In the future, once he's learned the tricks of the trade, he'll be something special. I'd throw chip blocks and do whatever I can to frustrate him until he takes himself out of the game.

Bortles doesn't really seem like a threat to me. He just doesn't seem special although I'm always rather skeptical when players shoot up draft boards after the season. If Marqise Lee plays as well as he did in his sophomore year, then he is a VERY talented receiver.

Titans haven't been in the news as much but that's not a bad thing. There's been a lot of positive talk about Justin Hunter. Every other team in the league better pray that kid doesn't figure it all out because if he does, he'll be a nightmare and a constant headache to defenses.

The key to what you say is that it will take two player to contain Clowney. Neither Costanzo or Allen can do it alone. When you double team him, Watt will be an absolute terror. You won't be taking Clowney out of his game but he is going to take a lot of our players out of their game. I thought from the day of the draft that Clowney would be the defensive rookie of the year. That guy is a superstar right now.

The only team in our division that can undo the Colts is....the Colts. Injuries appear to be the only thing standing between us and another division title. I'm not one to overlook opponents, but I'm not seeing anything even remotely signaling that any of our division opponents are ready to stand against us. 

I think you are right about this but I do not expect the Colts to go 6-0 in the division this year. Perhaps 5-1 or 4-2 and that is great but the gap in our division is closing.

I hope you guys aren't basing this off of yet another play where Clowney beats a TE for a TFL...

I believe that was his only tackle in the game too.. and it came against a 2nd string TE

Until I start seeing this against 1st stringers, I am not too scared of him.  He tends to beat TEs more than LTs.  I will say, if he is unblocked/misblocked though, he is one of the fastest in the backfield

I hope you guys aren't basing this off of yet another play where Clowney beats a TE for a TFL...

That's exactly what's happening smh

I don't feel the Texans as a threat.

Winston Guy if the Jags last night tweeted about how Bortles is gonna be special. I quoted the tweet and told him to stop.

Honestly, I just don't see any of our division foes going blow for blow with us anymore.

Only one who can really stop us is the injury bug, we're like 0-8 against him :panic:

I totally agree were definitely the class of the division at least this year. 

im really scared about a team that lost 32-0

I'ts preseason. It doesn't count and that score is almost utterly meaningless.

That being said, I said it from the start of last season that the Texans weren't going to stand, and they looked more prime last year if you ask me. We stand alone and if we don't go at least 5-1 (division), something went terribly wrong.  

That being said, I said it from the start of last season that the Texans weren't going to stand, and they looked more prime last year if you ask me. We stand alone and if we don't go at least 5-1 (division), something went terribly wrong.  

I know, but the preseason atleast tells you the depth of your team and thats not a good showing

The key to what you say is that it will take two player to contain Clowney. Neither Costanzo or Allen can do it alone. When you double team him, Watt will be an absolute terror. You won't be taking Clowney out of his game but he is going to take a lot of our players out of their game. I thought from the day of the draft that Clowney would be the defensive rookie of the year. That guy is a superstar right now.

At least for this year, I wouldn't expect Clowney to draw doubles and maybe I'm optimistic but I see Allen and Costanzo (separately) getting the best of him.

I generally agree, but they looked Curtis Painter bad in that meaningless preseason game.

Texans will be terrible Clowney did get pressure but was a major liability in coverage will get clowned in coverage . There offence was stale I'm guessing there going to be working there ground game a lot .

Titans they are going to take a few years to rebuild to there new system they looked lost on the field .

Jags Bortles SP? is good reads D's well accurate looks like a franchise QB in the making . There D looked pretty good as well when they get there receivers back they will be much improved .  

It's still only 1 preseason game some starters held out or not playing on some of those teams but only the Jags looked to have anything going for them .

I wish the Ravens were in this division. I see nothing but a cakewalk for the Colts in the division. Jags stink, Titans mediocre, Texans rebuilding. Even with injuries, I don't see any scenario where the Colts wouldn't win, unless Luck got injured. As we've previously seen with Manning, Luck 's abilities can hide a lot of flaws. I believe the kid is that good. You guys have been lucky to stink at the right time on the draft.

At least for this year, I wouldn't expect Clowney to draw doubles and maybe I'm optimistic but I see Allen and Costanzo (separately) getting the best of him.

Costanzo is a liability at his possession and he has trouble with mediocre players. Clowney is not mediocre. I don't expect him to draw doubles either but that is because they had better double Watt, the best defensive player in the NFL. Clowney will have GREAT numbers just because of that.

Costanzo is a liability at his possession and he has trouble with mediocre players. Clowney is not mediocre. I don't expect him to draw doubles either but that is because they had better double Watt, the best defensive player in the NFL. Clowney will have GREAT numbers just because of that.

I just don't see that, not this year at least. Costanzo isn't a liability, for the most part he plays above average. Sometimes he succumbs to quick pass rushers like Robert Quinn but usually he's appeared rather stout. I simply don't think Clowney is going to be an amazing force from day one like some expect. Eight years ago, the Texans picked a pass rushing phenom as the first overall pick; the logic behind the pick was that they had to pressure the Colt's quarterback in order to win the division. At this point, I think we can say that plan didn't work. Just like Peyton, Luck is smart enough to exploit Clowney. He can be forced into coverage and picked on. If he comes running too far up the field (like Freeney did), we can hand it to the running back on a delayed handoff right behind him, just like teams did to us for all those years. You can throw screens to make him second guess plays. Chip blocks can be thrown at him from Allen. I just wouldn't expect too many huge games from him against us.

Bortles looked pretty good when he came him, His wr's had a couple drops, He did well when he got hit as well, I did not look at how many times he got hit but it was at least twice very good and he stood in the pocket and delivered very accurate passes consistently. I also like how they used him with roll outs...For some reason both Arians and Pep don't seem to know what a QB roll out is, I was impressed with his first game. If he can get more protection from his O Line he has the potential to be pretty good and if he continues to grow as a QB the Jaguars wont be an easy pushover in the division like they have been ever since Brunnell retired

Because I value your analyst eye Gavin, I will record the Jags 1st Preseason Game on my DVR. Besides, if the Jags get even an above average QB with no turnover woes, that squad could be hard to handle since their defense is stout. I wanna see Bortles anyway. I like how he never anything stupid or controversial unlike Geno Smith when the Jets drafted him. Yeah, we will make the playoffs in my rookie year. Kid no disrespect intended but just keep quiet & master your playbook Mr. Smith. 

I know ruksak even seeing our starting center Khaled Holmes go down vs the Jets made me go..."Son of a bleep" what in the world is our strength & conditioning coach doing or his this CBA limited contact drill issue? Grrr! It's so frustrating! Every year critical guys get sidelined with injuries are the Colts snake bit? Sigh...

I still need to see Bill O'Brien coach the Texans 1st. I realize that the defense in preseason games is vanilla but don't dismiss Houston yet. Romeo Crennel is a darn good DC & players love the guy & would run through fire for him. 

I wish the Ravens were in this division. I see nothing but a cakewalk for the Colts in the division. Jags stink, Titans mediocre, Texans rebuilding. Even with injuries, I don't see any scenario where the Colts wouldn't win, unless Luck got injured. As we've previously seen with Manning, Luck 's abilities can hide a lot of flaws. I believe the kid is that good. You guys have been lucky to stink at the right time on the draft.

Thanks TOC. I love the toughness of Baltimore, especially Suggs. He's just awesome! I love how he trash talks Brady & secretly admires him. Yes, INDY hit the NFL lottery with Manning & Luck. 

I still wish NE was in our division too because the Pats & Ravens would toughen us up for the post season. I'm strange that way; SW1 loves bloody, tight, & smash mouth division battles.

Lopsided victories bore me unless it's Dallas then pulverize them please. Thank you. LOL! 

The AFC south is a weaker division at the moment but give it another year or two and it could be pretty tough. The Jags defense isn't that bad, and they've drafted a couple talented receivers. If Bortles pans out and they improve on the O-line they will be tough. And Houston obviously has a really good defensive front 7, which is a nice place to start from when rebuilding.

This year, I'd imagine we'd win at least 5 of the 6 games in our division.

i agree. Clowney will be great but we have a year to prepare for him so

I know, but the preseason atleast tells you the depth of your team and thats not a good showing

not necessarily. Its for players to basically try out for the 53 man roster. Lions went 4-0 a couple years back in preseason, then ended up 0-16 in regular...

Y'all take what you want from the games.  To me, it is pre-season game 1.  Where many starters don't even play, the others play sparingly, and backups rule most of the game.  In addition, O and D are as vanilla as one can get, and no game planning was done.  I'm waiting for game 3 before I can really decide what I think is up on the team...

I am not worried about losing to the Texans, but I am worried about Clowney throwing Luck to the ground like a rag doll. We need to game plan against him every play. Would always have Allen out there to help double team him. Missing Tarik Glenn at LT.

I wouldn't worry too much about that. Boomstick has already warned Clowney about roughing Luck up! :thmup:

i agree. Clowney will be great but we have a year to prepare for him so

not necessarily. Its for players to basically try out for the 53 man roster. Lions went 4-0 a couple years back in preseason, then ended up 0-16 in regular...

Holds true. The Colts never did win many pre season games but won a lot of regular seasons games in the past.

I just don't see that, not this year at least. Costanzo isn't a liability, for the most part he plays above average. Sometimes he succumbs to quick pass rushers like Robert Quinn but usually he's appeared rather stout. I simply don't think Clowney is going to be an amazing force from day one like some expect. Eight years ago, the Texans picked a pass rushing phenom as the first overall pick; the logic behind the pick was that they had to pressure the Colt's quarterback in order to win the division. At this point, I think we can say that plan didn't work. Just like Peyton, Luck is smart enough to exploit Clowney. He can be forced into coverage and picked on. If he comes running too far up the field (like Freeney did), we can hand it to the running back on a delayed handoff right behind him, just like teams did to us for all those years. You can throw screens to make him second guess plays. Chip blocks can be thrown at him from Allen. I just wouldn't expect too many huge games from him against us.

I expect Clowney and Watt to be all over Luck constantly. Yes, he will still make plays but he will have turnovers too. I don't agree with you about Costanzo and I think he would be moved to a different position if a good replacement was available. That Oline is still suspect and The Texans will take advantage of that. That is their game. Now, whether they can score enough points to win, that is another. But I think Clowney and Watt will be the disruptive pair in the league along the lines of Ware and Miller in Denver. Freeney was a one trick pony. Clowney is the real deal.

true, but we would lose basically all of our preseason games because of our terrible depth hence 2011