Colts Training Camp Thread 7/24

Dustin

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd still rather have Havili for that reason

Who remembers his catch from preseason last year falling backwards?

That is why if they should just use one of the other rb, or a te for blocking. Mario Harvey in any position scares me.

Griff Whalen, starting right where he left of last year in camp, is catching everything. #Colts

— Josh Wilson (@JoshWilsonSB)

July 24, 2014

Fans are just a little excited for Reggie Wayne to be back. They cheer like he just scored a TD every time he touches the ball

— Mike Wells (@MikeWellsNFL)

July 24, 2014

Griff Whalen will be an important player on this team when it is all said and done. The man has some good hands.

You realize they're not in pads or hitting, right? Shutting it down may be a bit strong.

But it's good to hear they look like they know where they're supposed to be.

Not really strong worded, it fits. Cause it means they're in position to make the plays and making them

Big problem last year was being in position but not making the plays. Mistimes jumps on INT's, missed sacks, missed tackles, etc etc

Have to improve if we wanna be SB contenders. Good to hear so far it sounds like we're handling the mental part of it, knowing where we're supposed to be

Whalen, Moncrief, Rainey, and Lankford working as punt returners. TY sitting on sideline with other offensive guys, not working. #Colts

— Josh Wilson (@JoshWilsonSB)

July 24, 2014

FWIW (maybe not much), not seeing TY Hilton fielding punts during this sp teams period. Frankly, I think that's a good thing

— Stephen Holder (@HolderStephen)

July 24, 2014

Moncrief, Whalen are the guys I want to see on special teams.

I hope so. I've been rooting for him.

I have seen a lot of people call for the team to keep 5 receivers, and making Griff odd man out... but there is no way with his hands. I have a feeling he could be big on 3rd down, and redzone situations.

I have seen a lot of people call for the team to keep 5 receivers, and making Griff odd man out... but there is no way with his hands. I have a feeling he could be big on 3rd down, and redzone situations.

I agree.

I think we keep 6 based on injury history. It's Whalen's job to lose. But he needs to prove it with PRs and STs.

As long as the top 5 stay healthy, he's not going to see the O much. Reggie and Allen are going to be the top 2 possession guys. MHO, of course.

I think we keep 6 based on injury history. It's Whalen's job to lose. But he needs to prove it with PRs and STs.

As long as the top 5 stay healthy, he's not going to see the O much. Reggie and Allen are going to be the top 2 possession guys. MHO, of course.

I agree with the first line. the one person who needs to earn his shot is a very young Moncrief who is all of 20 years old... and putting him on special teams as a returner is a good way. He is also faster, and can grow into one of the top guys in a few years once Reggie calls it quits.

Vontae Davis and Laron Landry, that is a lot of dough in the backfield out there. It is just day 1 of TC, LONG way to go.

Our safety position will be tested right off the bat. Thank goodness DJax left for the Redskins. Without pass rush, we may be able to beat the Eagles by focusing on their run first without the threat of a DJax. I still remember DJax roasting Laron Landry on that MNF game with Vick's return year after Landry talked trash to DJax before the game started.

Vontae Davis and Laron Landry, that is a lot of dough in the backfield out there. It is just day 1 of TC, LONG way to go.

Our safety position will be tested right off the bat. Thank goodness DJax left for the Redskins. Without pass rush, we may be able to beat the Eagles by focusing on their run first without the threat of a DJax. I still remember DJax roasting Laron Landry on that MNF game with Vick's return year after Landry talked trash to DJax before the game started.

I think Delano Howell will be up to the challenge, I truly believe he can be a very good defensive player.

Sorry if posted already... Camp Write-up for Stampede Blue

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2014/7/24/5934775/colts-camp-notebook-day-one

Gotta say... I am not happy about the write-up for Da'Rick Rogers.

What he is getting knocked for here is the same stuff he was doing during games last year when the play was not to him.

With TRich getting so much scrutiny for his abysmal season last year he could certainly use some WRs that will engage defenders when away from the play. Of course, whomever has the ball should be afforded the same effort from others away from the play but, I think its important to do this on run plays. Ever bit of effort away from the ball makes a difference for a RB. We need players who want to see others suceed when their number is called.

I have blindly endorsed Rogers for his raw talent but, this is a deal breaker.

If this is what we are to expect from him then I say we make him look FANTASTIC during the preseason and trade him away to Carolina or something.

@HolderStephen: Talking to Chuck Pagano here in Anderson. He admits team still needs to see where Donald Thomas is at coming off two major injuries.

@HolderStephen: Sounds like most of the other injury returnees are ahead of Thomas' pace. But he will practice today. #Colts

TWO major injuries?

What he is getting knocked for here is the same stuff he was doing during games last year when the play was not to him.

With TRich getting so much scrutiny for his abysmal season last year he could certainly use some WRs that will engage defenders when away from the play. Of course, whomever has the ball should be afforded the same effort from others away from the play but, I think its important to do this on run plays. Ever bit of effort away from the ball makes a difference for a RB. We need players who want to see others suceed when their number is called.

If this is what we are to expect from him then I say we make him look FANTASTIC during the preseason and trade him away to Carolina or something.

I really hope he gets his head out of his A$$ he could be a great asset too the team. But hey he did show *cough cough* Landry, Davis. Definitely going too keep an eye on him Wednesday when I head up there

Josh Wilson's write-up: http://www.stampedeblue.com/2014/7/24/5934775/colts-camp-notebook-day-one

The good: TY, Reggie, Whalen, Eric Thomas, Toler, and Werner

He also states that Rogers, AV, and Harrison had a rough start. But it's only the first day.

Kind of weird because when you go through all of the training camp photos there are at least 3 photos of Rogers catching the football in live action, and the reporter only writes about two dropped balls in a drill.

Kind of weird because when you go through all of the training camp photos there are at least 3 photos of Rogers catching the football in live action, and the reporter only writes about two dropped balls in a drill.

Just wondering if you were there?

A couple of dropped balls is no big deal - what is highlighted in bold below is bothersome. If you were there maybe you could confirm or deny what is written below.

Saw a couple of "lucky" grabs Rogers made last season - which were reasonably spectacular - but other than that he has a long ways to go to consider me a fan. I am not impressed with him, especially his work ethic.

The least impressive player of the day?  Da'Rick Rogers. The most impressive player of the day was a receiver (T.Y. Hilton), though there were several good options to choose from.  The least impressive player of the day was also a receiver, and this time it was a pretty easy call to make - it was Da'Rick Rogers.  A fan-favorite who struggled with his route running and was raw last season, Rogers had a terrible start to camp today.  In wide receiver drills he dropped two passes, although one of them could have been placed on Andrew Luck - especially considering the quarterback's reaction to the throw (he wasn't happy).  Still, with no defense, I thought it was one an NFL receiver could have made, but that might be too harsh.  Either way, he had another bad drop.  Then, in team drills later on, Rogers dropped a pass that he had to reach up to try to grab, and he looked a little shaken up after doing so, though nothing major.  Also, there were a couple of times where I was specifically watching Rogers (to see if his route running has improved at all, because if not he might very well not make the roster), but I couldn't tell because he hardly ran at all.  He was essentially just walking because the play was going to the other side of the field.  I didn't want to be too hard on Rogers, though, so I started paying closer attention to the other receivers to see if they were doing the same, and it was clear that they weren't.  Everybody was giving their all on almost every play, but multiple times Rogers was doing little more than walking when the play wasn't to him.  He was acting like he was guaranteed a roster spot, and if he keeps acting like that, he's going to be looking for another team.  Look, it's just one practice.  DON'T OVERREACT.  But based on one day, Da'Rick Rogers has had a rough start to camp.

Not surprised at all about the Walen comments below. The man is nothing but solid any way you look at it. I know it's only day one, but Rogers better get with the program or Walen will smoke his a** and send him down the road.

The Griffer! Of course, we'd be remiss to have a training camp article talking receivers without talking about Griff Whalen, who picked up right where he left off last year in camp by catching everything thrown his way.  He had a couple of nice grabs and a couple of nice routes run.  Basically, Whalen was very impressive once again.  And as I was watching him, I was thinking about how the Colts absolutely can find and create ways to use him and his skills to help them in games.  He doesn't have the athleticism or natural ability as some of the other guys, but if the Colts really want to use him, they absolutely can and he'd succeed.  It's just that they'd need to utilize certain routes to help him get open - because if he's anywhere close to open and the pass is thrown anywhere near him, he's gonna catch it.

Comment if you see fit.

ColtsHappy

That bothered me too. I wonder if he thinks he has a spot or if he's looking at one of the UDFAs and thinks he's gone. Either way, a professional would give their best on every play. Well, maybe not Randy Moss, but most would.

No, Chuck was telling the truth. Satele had fewer (19) sacks hits and hurries than Alex Mack (25) last season. His run blocking (supposedly his strength) was poor but he Was playing beside AWFUL run blocking guards and had clueless Richardson making Everyone look bad. With NO REASON to believe a Rookie would be better, he respected HIS First Veteran FA signee by Not throwing HIM under the bus. Not hard for Samsons Teammates to undesrtand, and i bet they would hope for the same respect in that situation. We just have some _____ fans sometimes.

Not that i wanted Satelle back under any circumstances!! Or McGlynn!! ;)

McGlynn was the backup Center anyway.

C'Mon!  Satele and McGlynn were brilliant WITHOUT pads on!!  Put em on....not so much :)